OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

[quote name='#22' post='442520' date='Feb 18 2007, 06:16 PM']...even though he is very close to bringing in what could be his 2nd best class ever [b]next year[/b][/quote]

Thats why they call him Tubby "wait til next year" Smith

Tubby just did something no other coach at UK has done since 1923

Lose 3 straight in February

84 Years!

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
UK fans disgust me. I dont like UK, but getting rid of Tubby isnt a smart move. Maybe some support for a change. Ive never really heard any support for the man and he works his ass off. Also has a good class coming in next year and is a great in game coach. If UK fires him another school will get way better and UK wont.

<<kills self>>

[size=7]GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

Guest LeakyBengal
So, who is the next coach going to be at UK? I've heard rumors with Thad Matta's name in them. I think that would be great. I think he has 9 recruits already coming to OSU over the next three years each ranked 4 star or higher.

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='445921' date='Feb 26 2007, 04:49 PM']So, who is the next coach going to be at UK? I've heard rumors with Thad Matta's name in them. I think that would be great. I think he has 9 recruits already coming to OSU over the next three years each ranked 4 star or higher.[/quote]

I started that rumor but thats all it is, Tubby probably gets another year or 2 because his recruiting classes have improved, I haven't given up on this season yet, they have enough talent imo to make a run in the NCAAs.(if we make it [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//42.gif[/img] ) If we were to lose to Georgia and Florida that may be in jeopardy.

I've been pitching Thad Matta on the UK boards for 2 years now and even started a rumor on the OSU board that he was coming to Lexington last year ^_^ That caused quite a stir :D

Has anyone heard about Tubby's contract being bought out, that he's not going to be returning? My bro just told me about this and I was wondering if it was a bullshit. He said they were talking about the head coach for the Pheonix Suns or the Head coach for Memphis as potential replacements. I dunno, seems like too much to me. Personally I wouldn't mind getting Pitino back.

I just talked to my father who lives in the Lexington area, and he said that Tubby's not fired YET. He said the major consensus is to wait for the end of the season then make a decision. He also said they have some running pole going on on the radio show they have and that 73% of voters want him out now, 17% want to wait for the end of the season, and 10% want him stay at least one more year. Looks like Tubby's on the hot seat though.

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='446767' date='Feb 27 2007, 06:36 PM']Has anyone heard about Tubby's contract being bought out, that he's not going to be returning? My bro just told me about this and I was wondering if it was a bullshit. He said they were talking about the head coach for the Pheonix Suns or the Head coach for Memphis as potential replacements. I dunno, seems like too much to me. Personally I wouldn't mind getting Pitino back.[/quote]

I've heard both rumors but why would the guy from the Pheonix Suns, the most exciting team in the NBA, come to KY?

Calapari, Memphis's coach, isn't a stretch. Apparently Memphis struggles to fill the arena and Calapari has to beg for donations. He doesn't have to do that at UK. Also, if he can recruit for Memphis and should be x10s easier at UK.

Even though I've been a Tubby detractor for years I'm not sure how competent Mitch Barnhart is and I'm not convinced he will get the right guy, if he can't go out and get a Donovan or Matta then he might as well just stick it out for another year with Tubby and see if his next decent recruiting class is the answer.

This could all be a moot point with a Final Four this year :)

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='447148' date='Feb 28 2007, 12:56 PM']I've heard both rumors but why would the guy from the Pheonix Suns, the most exciting team in the NBA, come to KY?

Calapari, Memphis's coach, isn't a stretch. Apparently Memphis struggles to fill the arena and Calapari has to beg for donations. He doesn't have to do that at UK. Also, if he can recruit for Memphis and should be x10s easier at UK.[/quote]

He was talking about leaving the NBA last year. I think he said that he wanted to be closer to home (WV). It could all very well be a pipe dream anyways.

[quote name='Storm' post='447756' date='Mar 1 2007, 07:06 AM']lets look forward and dream a bit
Thad Matta wins it all this year at OSU and is king on High St. His Job is done, nowhere to go but down. One last challenge, rebuild the Big Blue :bowdown:[/quote]
Or, we beat Florida and go on an unprecedented run deep into the tournament as our talent realizes itself...it could happen...
:rolleyes:

nay...will!

I hear that Pettigrew is guaranteed to play for us next year, and that Kenny Frease (from Massilon, I think) will most likely be coming in 2008.

I also hear that Patrick Patterson is undecided between UK and Duke, and that Jai Lucas was impressed with his visit.

Tubby can save himself. He's got Florida, SEC Tourney, and NCAA tourney.

I don't care who they call coach at Kentucky playing on the first day of the SEC tourney isn't going to make you a whole lot of friends.

That's the way it is a Kentucky. Rise up and meet the expectations or get out.

Kentucky isn't IU were they fall in love with a hack destroying their program.

[quote name='ben-gal#9' post='450104' date='Mar 4 2007, 01:35 PM']florida partly won this game courtesy of the refs. A lot of bad calls that went against ky. i mean ky could have played better but still bad bad calls[/quote]
It wasn't the refs. UK played like absolute ass in the face of increased defensive pressure from Florida in the second half.
I've said it before, I'll say it again....since Tubby's had entirely his own players that he recruited (from 2000 on), by and large, they cannot shoot the ball well. Or make free throws. FREE THROWS!
I challenge any UK fan to count the players with me that were Tubby recruits that could shoot the three well. Tayshaun. Azuibuike. Sparks. Maybe Meeks. Who am I missing?
Where is our Scott Padgett? Why is Orbzut even on our team? What happened to the likes of Nazr Mohammed, Michael Bradley?
Where are clutch role players like Cameron Mills and Jeff Sheppard?
The best Tubby has ever done is a couple Elite Eight apperances and that's it. he doesn't get credit for 1998 in my mind because that roster was still loaded with NBA-bound talent leftover from 1996-97.
If UK exits the tournament early (which I think is very likely) this year, I think Tubby is in serious jeapordy.
I like Tubby personally, I think he is a great defensive coach, but under him....we just don't score, especially in our stand-around, pass-around-the-perimeter half court offense.
I am pissed, can you tell?

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='Bunghole' post='450416' date='Mar 4 2007, 09:56 PM']It wasn't the refs. UK played like absolute ass in the face of increased defensive pressure from Florida in the second half.
I've said it before, I'll say it again....since Tubby's had entirely his own players that he recruited (from 2000 on), by and large, they cannot shoot the ball well. Or make free throws. FREE THROWS!
I challenge any UK fan to count the players with me that were Tubby recruits that could shoot the three well. Tayshaun. Azuibuike. Sparks. Maybe Meeks. Who am I missing?
Where is our Scott Padgett? Why is Orbzut even on our team? What happened to the likes of Nazr Mohammed, Michael Bradley?
Where are clutch role players like Cameron Mills and Jeff Sheppard?
The best Tubby has ever done is a couple Elite Eight apperances and that's it. he doesn't get credit for 1998 in my mind because that roster was still loaded with NBA-bound talent leftover from 1996-97.
If UK exits the tournament early (which I think is very likely) this year, I think Tubby is in serious jeapordy.
I like Tubby personally, I think he is a great defensive coach, but under him....we just don't score, especially in our stand-around, pass-around-the-perimeter half court offense.
I am pissed, can you tell?[/quote]

Ravi Moss could shoot the three. Gerald Fitch could too.

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='450440' date='Mar 4 2007, 10:42 PM']Ravi Moss could shoot the three. Gerald Fitch could too.[/quote]
Moss was a poor man's Mills/Sheppard (although a great story as a walk-on) and Fitch? Are you kidding me? He was OK, but nowhere near lights-out.
I guess my point was that we either cannot recruit a lights-out three scorer, or that we have always had them but Tubby's scheme doesn't get them open enough or they are misused in a defensive effort. Any way you slice it, Tubby has to bear the brunt of the burden for that.
Were three-pointers and free throws EVER a problem under Rick Pitino?