OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

[color="#FF0000"][b]Watch Tubby get this team on a roll. I will not be suprised with a sweet 16 appearence for
Kentucky.

You UK fans don't deserve Tubby, just like to hate him.

[/b][/color] -_-

[quote name='ONYX' post='455362' date='Mar 11 2007, 07:08 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Watch Tubby get this team on a roll. I will not be suprised with a sweet 16 appearence for
Kentucky.

You UK fans don't deserve Tubby, just like to hate him.

[/b][/color] -_-[/quote]
You have no idea what you're talking about. I like Tubs, but in the ten years he's been here, the best he's done with his own recruits is 2 Elite Eight appearances.
That doesn't cut it here, regardless of the color of his skin or whatever. I want Final Four basketball at least once every five years or so. Tubs hasn't delivered.
And I'm not saying that I want him fired, but the microscope is on him now. This season, given our talent level, is disappointing to the fans like me that expect better. If he can turn it around in the next two years, great. I hope he can.
But I certainly won't cry either if he gets canned. I understand both points of view. I think he is a great coach but something just isn't clicking with his system here (as in, we can't SCORE!), despite tenacious defense, so...meh....
Either way, I wouldn't be surprised nor upset.
I just want wins.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='455364' date='Mar 11 2007, 08:15 PM']You have no idea what you're talking about. I like Tubs, but in the ten years he's been here, the best he's done with his own recruits is 2 Elite Eight appearances.
That doesn't cut it here, regardless of the color of his skin or whatever. I want Final Four basketball at least once every five years or so. Tubs hasn't delivered.
And I'm not saying that I want him fired, but the microscope is on him now. This season, given our talent level, is disappointing to the fans like me that expect better. If he can turn it around in the next two years, great. I hope he can.
But I certainly won't cry either if he gets canned. I understand both points of view. I think he is a great coach but something just isn't clicking with his system here (as in, we can't SCORE!), despite tenacious defense, so...meh....
Either way, I wouldn't be surprised nor upset.
I just want wins.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Yes I do get it. Kentucky fans have incredible delusions of grandeur. You guys are a lot like Notre Dame
football fans because of your arrogance and unrealistic yearly expectations. Kentucky is not the power,
you think it is.

Kentucky is not the hot spot that all recruits want to play at. Pitino had lightning in a bottle in the 90's, those
players came because of HIM, not because they thought Kentucky was the shiznit.

That was the anomaly, Kentucky winning championships year after year isn't.

Also another thing Kentucky fans fail to realize is the parity among division I basketball. Because of the
temptation of going to the NBA, all college teams including Kentucky are lucky to assemble national championship
caliber teams for a year or two.

The era of the college dynasties are over.

If Smith is underachieving, name one coach Kentucky could realistically pull that could do a better job?
[/b][/color]

[quote name='ONYX' post='455369' date='Mar 11 2007, 07:37 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Yes I do get it. Kentucky fans have incredible delusions of grandeur. You guys are a lot like Notre Dame
football fans because of your arrogance and unrealistic yearly expectations. Kentucky is not the power,
you think it is.

Kentucky is not the hot spot that all recruits want to play at. Pitino had lightning in a bottle in the 90's, those
players came because of HIM, not because they thought Kentucky was the shiznit.

That was the anomaly, Kentucky winning championships year after year isn't.

Also another thing Kentucky fans fail to realize is the parity among division I basketball. Because of the
temptation of going to the NBA, all college teams including Kentucky are lucky to assemble national championship
caliber teams for a year or two.

The era of the college dynasties are over.

If Smith is underachieving, name one coach Kentucky could realistically pull that could do a better job?
[/b][/color][/quote]
Two words:
Saul Smith

[quote name='Bunghole' post='455370' date='Mar 11 2007, 08:41 PM']Two words:
Saul Smith[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Yeah sure, blame the coach's son, who wore a taupe.

Mean bastard.[/b][/color]

Guest steggyD
sneaky, you make no sense. You tell us to keep Tubby because Kentucky is not a hot spot and we can't get all the recruits. Then you go on to say that players only came to Kentucky in the 90's because of Pitino ... Well, by this logic, Tubby is not the answer because he's not getting all the recruits like Pitino could. So, why should we keep him?

[quote name='ONYX' post='455418' date='Mar 11 2007, 09:37 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Yeah sure, blame the coach's son, who wore a taupe. (toupee)

Mean bastard.[/b][/color][/quote]
It was a joke. I don't want Saul Smith anywhere near my team again. I never liked him as a player but I realized at the time due to graduations, suspensions, transfers and a player death that we needed a scholarship player on the roster. I thought he tried hard but he just wasn't very good.
You made some good points, but delusions of grandeur? Please. I watch a LOT of college basketball and I completely realize the parity that exists in college basketball and the very small windows of opportunities that exist for teams to put together enough talent to win a lot of games both during the season and after. In my mind, the likes of LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, etc have kind of ruined college hoops for me to a degree, not that it's their fault they are so good, but look at the NFL...and Maurice Clarett. There's an age minimum, and I wish there was one in the NBA, but I digress.
It isn't that I think Tubby's done a bad job, in fact, I really like him, I think he is as classy as they come, and you're right, he doesn't seem to be able to recruit as well as Pitino (who has a Final Four apperance with Louisville already, with a program that was in total rebuilding mode when he took over, just like UK was when he took over there...it seems to be his speciality), but he is a good coach.
I was just wondering why it is that he always stresses defense, defense, defense, which, while important, is only one half of the game of basketball.
Tubby's offensive scheme to me leaves something to be desired, and is the single most glaring limiting factor that holds UK back from being better than they have been (which is pretty good, NCAA tourney every year, etc).

On a side note, what do you UK fans predict for our team? We've lost 6 of 10 games heading into this, with grumblings amongst the fanbase about Tubby's job, etc...
One and done?
Second round loss to Kansas?
I think we're certainly capable of winning both those games in terms of talent, but the question is....can we put it together?
Oddly enough, somehow I wouldn't be surprised looking at our bracket if we find ourselves in the Elite Eight this year.
We have the talent to play with anyone, we just have to do it.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Storm' post='447756' date='Mar 1 2007, 07:06 AM']lets look forward and dream a bit
[b]Thad Matta wins it all this year at OSU and is king on High St. His Job is done, nowhere to go but down. One last challenge, rebuild the Big Blue[/b] :bowdown:[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

Nowhere to go but down ? :lol:

How about winning another... and another... and another ?

Storm I`ve noticed you`ve got a hard on for Thad Matta, and want him to come
coach your Wildcats. Well, you can forget about that happening.

Thad is the 3rd highest paid coach in College basketball. And the more he wins,
the more he`ll get paid. He isn`t going to leave a program he helped build to
rebuild another program. Why would he ? If he did go to UK, he would have
2 tons of pressure put on him. He is already considered a God at Ohio State.

List of College Coaches salaries...

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/basketball_contracts/flash.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/ba...racts/flash.htm[/url]

You should just become a Buckeyes fan Storm... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

[quote name='steggyD' post='455708' date='Mar 12 2007, 06:44 PM']sneaky, you make no sense. You tell us to keep Tubby because Kentucky is not a hot spot and we can't get all the recruits. Then you go on to say that players only came to Kentucky in the 90's because of Pitino ... Well, by this logic, Tubby is not the answer because he's not getting all the recruits like Pitino could. So, why should we keep him?[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]First off, I dont think Tubby is a better recruiter than Pitino. Thats not a knock on Tubby, but not
a lot of coaches are better at recruiting than Pitino. At the same time time, Tubby isn't exactly chopped
liver at recruiting talent either.

Kentucky (the state) just isn't a desirable place that big time recruits want to play at. So who ever
is the coach at Kentucky. has to be an awesome recruiter of talent plus knows his X's and O's on the
court.

If you are wanting to replace Tubby, what coach has that kind of clout that would be realistically
willing to leave his school and come to Kentucky?

Smith is not a bad coach at all, actually I think he is in the top 10 as far as best active coaches, so
for all those who wants to replace him, you are not going to find a coach better for the job, at least
as it stands right now.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='455733' date='Mar 12 2007, 08:17 PM']It was a joke. I don't want Saul Smith anywhere near my team again. I never liked him as a player but I realized at the time due to graduations, suspensions, transfers and a player death that we needed a scholarship player on the roster. I thought he tried hard but he just wasn't very good.
You made some good points, but delusions of grandeur? Please. I watch a LOT of college basketball and I completely realize the parity that exists in college basketball and the very small windows of opportunities that exist for teams to put together enough talent to win a lot of games both during the season and after. In my mind, the likes of LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, etc have kind of ruined college hoops for me to a degree, not that it's their fault they are so good, but look at the NFL...and Maurice Clarett. There's an age minimum, and I wish there was one in the NBA, but I digress.
It isn't that I think Tubby's done a bad job, in fact, I really like him, I think he is as classy as they come, and you're right, he doesn't seem to be able to recruit as well as Pitino (who has a Final Four apperance with Louisville already, with a program that was in total rebuilding mode when he took over, just like UK was when he took over there...it seems to be his speciality), but he is a good coach.
I was just wondering why it is that he always stresses defense, defense, defense, which, while important, is only one half of the game of basketball.
Tubby's offensive scheme to me leaves something to be desired, and is the single most glaring limiting factor that holds UK back from being better than they have been (which is pretty good, NCAA tourney every year, etc).[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Smith will forever be cursed because he followed the success of Pitino and his National Championship
will always be understimated because it's viewed as having won with Pitino's players.

Which to me is unfair. Its a damned if you do, damned if you dont scenario. Truth is, if Pitino
were to return to Kentucky after the season, even he could not duplicate the magic he had in
the 90's.[/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='455944' date='Mar 13 2007, 05:46 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Smith will forever be cursed because he followed the success of Pitino and his National Championship
will always be understimated because it's viewed as having won with Pitino's players.

Which to me is unfair. Its a damned if you do, damned if you dont scenario. Truth is, if Pitino
were to return to Kentucky after the season, even he could not duplicate the magic he had in
the 90's.[/b][/color][/quote]

Thad Matta could

Guest LeakyBengal
Ummm. we got blasted by Kansas last year, 73-46, and we were a more talented team last year. Kansas got better and we got worse. What makes you think Kansas, if we get there, is going to be beat by UK.

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='456119' date='Mar 13 2007, 04:48 PM']Ummm. we got blasted by Kansas last year, 73-46, and we were a more talented team last year. Kansas got better and we got worse. What makes you think Kansas, if we get there, is going to be beat by UK.[/quote]
Because it's the tournament and anything can happen. Because UK has a talented squad and can hang with anyone. Because Kansas lost to Bucknell.
I certainly have my doubts as we finished 4-6 in our last ten games and got bounced in the second round of the SEC tourney on a stupid fluke, but again....anything can happen.

Guest steggyD
One and done? Where's your faith fans? Bring on Kansas ... they shall lose also. As long as Morris doesn't get in foul trouble, I think we can handle any team.

UK will get their ass kicked. Their confrence is weak so they are not battle tested. Statisticlly they fall way short of the Jayhawks...
[size=3][b]Kansas[/b][/size]
Category [center]Rank[/center] [right]Actual[/right]
Scoring Offense (325 ranked) [center]21[/center] [right]78.4[/right]
Scoring Defense (325 ranked) [center]26[/center] [right]61[/right]
Scoring Margin (325 ranked) [center]3[/center] [right]17.4[/right]
Field-Goal Percentage (325 ranked) [center]14[/center] [right]49[/right]
Field-Goal Percentage Defense (325 ranked) [center]4[/center] [right]37.4[/right]
Three-Point Field Goals Per Game (325 ranked) [center]217[/center] [right]6[/right]
Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage (325 ranked) [center]44[/center] [right]38.2[/right]
Free-Throw Percentage (325 ranked) [center]240[/center] [right]66.7[/right]
Rebound Margin (325 ranked) [center]6[/center] [right]7.5[/right]
Assists Per Game (325 ranked) [center]19[/center] [right]16.8[/right]
Blocked Shots Per Game (325 ranked) [center]6[/center] [right]6.7[/right]
Steals Per Game (325 ranked) [center]23[/center] [right]8.9[/right]
Won-Lost Percentage (325 ranked) [center]3[/center] [right]88.2[/right]
Turnovers Per Game (325 ranked) [center]118[/center] [right]14[/right]
Personal Fouls Per Game (325 ranked) [center]168[/center] [right]18.7[/right]

[size=3][b]UK[/b][/size]

Category [center]Rank[/center] [right]Actual[/right]
Scoring Offense (325 ranked) [center]85[/center] [right]73.5[/right]
Scoring Defense (325 ranked) [center]135[/center] [right]67.4[/right]
Scoring Margin (325 ranked) [center]66[/center] [right]6.2[/right]
Field-Goal Percentage (325 ranked) [center]32[/center] [right]47.9[/right]
Field-Goal Percentage Defense (325 ranked) [center]48[/center] [right]40.90[/right]
Three-Point Field Goals Per Game (325 ranked) [center]134[/center] [right]6.8[/right]
Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage (325 ranked) [center]138[/center] [right]35.7[/right]
Free-Throw Percentage (325 ranked) [center]145[/center] [right]70[/right]
Rebound Margin (325 ranked) [center]72[/center] [right]3.2[/right]
Assists Per Game (325 ranked) [center]35[/center] [right]15.9[/right]
Blocked Shots Per Game (325 ranked) [center]33[/center] [right]4.8[/right]
Steals Per Game (325 ranked) [center]235[/center] [right]6[/right]
Won-Lost Percentage (325 ranked) [center]77[/center] [right]65.6[/right]
Turnovers Per Game (325 ranked) [center]170[/center] [right]14.7[/right]
Personal Fouls Per Game (325 ranked) [center]19[/center] [right]15.8[/right]

Go and run the simulation here and see for youselves...

[url="http://www.whatifsports.com/ncaab/default.asp"]Sports Simulation[/url]

I heard on the radio they ran computer simulation on the tourny 10.000 times and Kansas won 30% of the time..the highest % of all teams... :headbang:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='457848' date='Mar 16 2007, 08:56 PM']Almost time, kids. Strap on your tinfoil hats, your favorite old and faded UK article and hope for the best. Kansas awaits.

[color="#0000FF"][size=7]GO BIG BLUE, LET THE MADNESS CONSUME YOUR SOULS!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size][/color][/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Homer.[/b][/color]

:ninja:

[quote name='steggyD' post='458157' date='Mar 17 2007, 06:31 PM']Good thing computer simulations don't play basketball, huh? Otherwise Kentucky might as well not even show up.[/quote]
No shit. Just ask Duke. Or Louisville, although they played a higher seed, I thought for sure they would win that one.
It's the fucking tournament. The only safe bets are that a 16 won't beat a 1 in the first round, and that's about it (OK, 15's usually don't beat 2's, either.)
OSU versus Xavier is a prime example even though X lost.
If you asked the average OSU fan on here prior to the game, do you think that they would have thought that the game would have been forced into overtime by OSU whom trailed by 9 points in the waning moments?
UK can assuredly win this game against Kansas if they play to their potential.
Problem is, they haven't done so most of this season so nobody is giving them a shot now.
We'll see.
[color="#0000FF"][size=7]GO UK BEAT KU!!!!![/size][/color]

[quote name='ONYX' post='458031' date='Mar 17 2007, 10:27 AM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Homer.[/b][/color]
:ninja:[/quote]
They won, didn't they?

Everyone better have taken UK deep into the tourney in their brackets

Kansas is going down, UK is going deep and Tubby will redeem himself by putting forth his best coaching effort since his first year and the UK faithfull will carry him out on their shoulders :headbang:

Hell half of the UK fans have been calling for Tubby's head all season...now all of the sudden they can pull this one off? I am ready for a sig bet who's up for that...? :badger:

[b][size=5][color="#0000FF"]ROCK[/color] [color="#FF0000"]CHALK[/color] [color="#0000FF"]JAYHAWK[/color][color="#FF0000"]!!!!![/color][/size][/b]

Guest LeakyBengal

[quote name='The_Joker' post='458238' date='Mar 18 2007, 01:01 AM']Hell half of the UK fans have been calling for Tubby's head all season...now all of the sudden they can pull this one off? I am ready for a sig bet who's up for that...? :badger:

[b][size=5][color="#0000FF"]ROCK[/color] [color="#FF0000"]CHALK[/color] [color="#0000FF"]JAYHAWK[/color][color="#FF0000"]!!!!![/color][/size][/b][/quote]

He needs to go but that doesn't mean he can't win the game. If KU has a big man that can compete with Morris then we are done. If not then we are moving on the the Sweet 16.