OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

[quote name='Jason' post='619587' date='Jan 6 2008, 09:10 AM']Wow, even UC beat Louisville.[/quote]
Louisville has a TON of talent this year...UC got lucky that UL played so poorly in that game (9% from 3-pt range).
And UK is just bad this year, for a variety of reasons. Gillespie has to take some of the blame, but I think that once BG gets his kind of recruits, and once BG's system is fully in place that UK can go far.
As of now, we're looking at missing the NIT the way we're going. Somehow I'm just not that beat up about it. I didn't expect a miraculous transformation this season with a new coach and a roster full of guards with no talent in the frontcourt (and that IS Tubby's doing), but I didn't expect it to be this bad, either.

[quote name='steggyD' post='622089' date='Jan 13 2008, 01:44 AM']There's our "signature win". Anyways, great game today. I had fun and got a bit drunk off of it! Let's beat this SEC down!!![/quote]
If we play like we did yesterday, there's no reason that we couldn't be say, 25-10 by the end of conference play. That would be a [i]dramatic[/i] turnaround, though.

• 2 weeks later...
The team is finally buying in. Patterson is a beast. He does not hesitate to go to the basket, great with free throws. Hanging onto him is key for our next 3 seasons. Having Jasper in the game is big too. His presence on defensive rebounds changes the game entirely; just scoops that ball right up. Loving this team right now.

Patterson will develop (maybe in this season) into the best PF that UK has seen in years. I have [b]never[/b] seen a player with such potential and such control of a game in his Freshman year. If he had any kind of supporting cast on the outside or in a center, he would be putting up Naismith and Wooden award numbers.

If he leaves at the end of this season, he will still be one of my favorite all-times, simply because of his drive and the fact that he chose us over Florida and Duke. His dad said in an interview about 45 minutes ago that he isn't going anywhere and that he loves UK, however.

Patterson does look like a really good player. As for Kentucky's season turning around - I don't know about that. Win some tough one's away from home first. That game was like the perfect storm - Kentucky was able to slow that game down and control tempo in the second half, UT shot 21% for behind the arc which is about 10% lower than their team average, and down the stretch Kentucky is a great FT shooting team so UT didn't have the option of fouling and getting some misses.

UT just shoots their average from 3 and they win that game by about 8. But, that is the worst game they've played this year - sure Kentucky's defense played a part in it, but they just didn't look very enthused and in the game, to me anyway.

Good win for the Cats - I don't know if UT is really the #3/5 team in the country right now. They're inside game is suspect and we'll see what bring Duke Crews back does for us down low because we need to get better. Two things better improve by March Madness time - rebounding and FT%... if they don't we make a Great 8 run if we can get the game into a track meet, otherwise we're done.

Good win Cats fans - you win some big ones outside of Rupp in the SEC now and get to about 20 wins then you'll make the Dance. But, I'd think you'll have to have 20, factoring in the less than impressive losses you had early. But, I guess if it comes down to Kentucky or some other school Kentucky will get the nod.

What is your take?

This will help UK get into the tournament... at this point, that is priority one b/c it wasn't looking good prior to last night...

Here is what is changing:
- We are getting healthier... With Jasper and Meeks back, we now are about 7 or 8 deep, and most of the year we were 7 deep, but that included neoplean dynomite (coury) and Porter (who shouldn't be playing)... I heard Gillispie talking the other day, and he said that b/c of injuries he hasn't been able to extend the pressure full court... once jasper and meeks get their endurance up, we should be in good shape..

- The start of the year, i HATED "showtime" crawford... he is buying in now, which is HUGE!!!

- Jasper makes this team a thousand times better... and meeks gives us the athleticsm we need

- Patterson is the best i've ever seen, potential wise... he just does things the right way...

- If we make the tournment, we should be watched carefully... we are money from free throw line, we have good defense, and we are getting healthy and buying in at the right time...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='625956' date='Jan 23 2008, 10:33 AM']This will help UK get into the tournament... at this point, that is priority one b/c it wasn't looking good prior to last night...

Here is what is changing:
- We are getting healthier... With Jasper and Meeks back, we now are about 7 or 8 deep, and most of the year we were 7 deep, but that included neoplean dynomite (coury) and Porter (who shouldn't be playing)... I heard Gillispie talking the other day, and he said that b/c of injuries he hasn't been able to extend the pressure full court... once jasper and meeks get their endurance up, we should be in good shape..

- The start of the year, i HATED "showtime" crawford... he is buying in now, which is HUGE!!!

- Jasper makes this team a thousand times better... and meeks gives us the athleticsm we need

- Patterson is the best i've ever seen, potential wise... he just does things the right way...

- If we make the tournment, we should be watched carefully... we are money from free throw line, we have good defense, and we are getting healthy and buying in at the right time...[/quote]
Oh it definitely helps - it is a good win for them and gets them an 8th win... Just count it up though - they're 8-9 with 12 regular season games left... with games at Georgia, at Vandy, at Tennessee, and Ole Miss and Florida coming to Lexington. That was just the tough ones I saw. Obviously, I don't know how many it'll take to get into the tourney but mathematically Kentucky is going to have to be lights out (like win 10 of 12) down the stretch and then win a couple in the SEC tourney just to get to 20 wins. In years past, for the most part, that was the magic number that teams had to get to to have any legit shot. A few exceptions have been made and one could be made for Kentucky - or they could go to Atlanta and win the SEC tourney and get the auto bid I guess...

Once they've played a few tough ones away from home and won a couple then I'd think Big Blue country would breath A LOT easier. The next month should be interesting for both of our schools!

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='625962' date='Jan 23 2008, 10:47 AM']Oh it definitely helps - it is a good win for them and gets them an 8th win... Just count it up though - they're 8-9 with 12 regular season games left... with games at Georgia, at Vandy, at Tennessee, and Ole Miss and Florida coming to Lexington. That was just the tough ones I saw. Obviously, I don't know how many it'll take to get into the tourney but mathematically Kentucky is going to have to be lights out (like win 10 of 12) down the stretch and then win a couple in the SEC tourney just to get to 20 wins. In years past, for the most part, that was the magic number that teams had to get to to have any legit shot. A few exceptions have been made and one could be made for Kentucky - or they could go to Atlanta and win the SEC tourney and get the auto bid I guess...

Once they've played a few tough ones away from home and won a couple then I'd think Big Blue country would breath A LOT easier. The next month should be interesting for both of our schools![/quote]

no doubt... we HAD to win last night, and watching patterson he knew it... he played better than i've seen him yet, and that is saying soemthing...

the question is, how long can they keep it up? They are playing bradley and patterson 40 minutes every game... it has to be tough... imagine how good of shape those boys are in thoguh...

and you are right... its easier playing in rupp...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='625967' date='Jan 23 2008, 10:53 AM']no doubt... we HAD to win last night, and watching patterson he knew it... he played better than i've seen him yet, and that is saying soemthing...

the question is, how long can they keep it up? [b]They are playing bradley and patterson 40 minutes every game[/b]... it has to be tough... imagine how good of shape those boys are in thoguh...

and you are right... its easier playing in rupp...[/quote]
I'd be concerned if I was a Kentucky fan regarding that. They both played really, really well last night - but as the season winds down there is no way they'll be as fresh as they are still now. Those SEC games are physical, brutal games and it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

But, too, playing in desperation can sometimes be a good thing. Back against the wall, come out swinging, nothing to lose mentality could make Kentucky more dangerous. But, just based on their year thus far I'd have them losing at least 5 more SEC games which only gets to like 15 wins. They'll definitely have to go on a nice winning streak that is for sure.

[i]– Gillispie once again praised Patrick Patterson for a great effort, calling him “an unbelievable player.” He also joked that he sat Patrick for 30 seconds, which was “the most he has rested in a conference game. He should be rested now for Saturday.”[/i]

:rofl:

If you look at the 4 game stretch we're on, 2-2 is pretty good.
Beating Vandy, a ranked opponent, at home.
Barely losing to MISS State, a STRONG ranked opponent away.
Barelylosing to FL, a ranked opponent in overtime away.
BEATING Tennessee at home, a ranked opponent.
UK is playing better....it's coming.....

• 2 weeks later...
Vandy is a weird place to play and has sometimes given UK problems when we actually [i]had[/i] a good team. I don't know what to make of this showing tonight in light of the fact that UK has been playing well recently.
I want to call it an anomoly, but I just can't. We are rebuilding under our new coach, which in my mind with UK, isn't supposed to happen....dammit.....

Historically, this really sucks, but I don't think we drop out of the top 100 in the RPI, and who would have thought we'd be 6-3 in conference play after our OoC Losses to UAB, Gardner-Webb, and San Diego?

[url="http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_357_Men.html"]http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_357_Men.html[/url]

fuck it, bring on LSU.
Hopefully we get to play UC in the NIT

[quote name='#22' post='631893' date='Feb 12 2008, 10:19 PM']Historically, this really sucks, but I don't think we drop out of the top 100 in the RPI, and who would have thought we'd be 6-3 in conference play after our OoC Losses to UAB, Gardner-Webb, and San Diego?

[url="http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_357_Men.html"]http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_357_Men.html[/url]

fuck it, bring on LSU.
Hopefully we get to play UC in the NIT[/quote]
It's hard to say: "UK isn't very good at basketball right now".

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='631884' date='Feb 12 2008, 10:19 PM']this game is painful to watch, you guys are gettin whooped :lol:

btw, wtf is up with Vandy's court? Why have the benches in near the baskets and not on the side? I see it's obviously not a conventional arena but there's still room on the sidelines for chairs... :wacko:[/quote]

Vandy's court has been like that for a lot years... for whatever reason it seems to give teams problems because for at least 1 half your coach is like 94 feet away and not able to scream at you... it gives a lot of teams trouble every year.

I don't know about 41 points worth of trouble but trouble none the less

[quote name='Bunghole' post='631895' date='Feb 12 2008, 11:21 PM']It's hard to say: "UK isn't very good at basketball right now".[/quote]

Another issue that Kentucky is going to have to realize now is that Vandy has written the book on how to effectively beat them. Always have a man on Patterson and shading him with at least one other guy so he can't even get the ball. Made Crawford / Bradley / Jasper, et al beat you. Just force Kentucky to play on the offensive end without Patterson.

Bung, I apologize in advance. This is not directed at you. This is for all the arrogant UK fans I had to deal with over the years when they gave me crap about UC.

[size=5][b]11 points in the first half?!?!?!?![/b][/size]

:lmao::rofl::lmao::rofl::lmao::rofl::lmao::rofl::lmao::rofl:

I don't think this throws us too far off. We are still actually ahead of Vandy by conference record. Just throw the tape away and get back to work.

Believe it or not, as long as we don't play Vandy, we can still get into the conference tourney and take a stab at the big dance. I know, I'm probably over-optimistic, but after this season, anything is optimistic with the Wildcats.

[quote name='Jason' post='631935' date='Feb 13 2008, 07:48 AM']Bung, I apologize in advance. This is not directed at you. This is for all the arrogant UK fans I had to deal with over the years when they gave me crap about UC.

[size=5][b]11 points in the first half?!?!?!?![/b][/size]

:lmao::rofl::lmao::rofl::lmao::rofl::lmao::rofl::lmao::rofl:[/quote]
hey, it's deserved criticism, I'll eat the crow when it's my turn. Thank Tubby for leaving the program in the state it was in, with little talent and no big men of note.
Billy G is having to recruit his ass off to get us back to where we are *supposed* to be. Good thing is, Billy G is a hell of a recruiter. We have locked up some serious talent for next year. Undoing Tubby's damage is going to take a year or two.