OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

[quote name='#22' post='643730' date='Mar 15 2008, 05:08 PM']UNC went to the sweet 16 in 2002? with 18 wins. Georgia got in a few years back with 16 wins iirc.
Our SOS and Last 12 figure heavily into the discussion, and Rivals.com still has us as a 9 seed.
I've also heard that because of the snafu in Atlanta, the NCAA selection committee aren't going to place very much weight on these games.

When is the last time a team with [b]12[/b] wins in a power conference didn't get in? We're 2nd in the SEC East and if they send 4 teams, we HAVE to get in.

Quit worrying about it.[/quote]
I don't think that the SEC is all that much of a "power" conference this year.
If we had a 12-4 record and were in the Big East, I'd say no worries.
I think we're getting left out in the cold this time.
Look at this from ESPN's bubble watch:

Bubble In (11)
Arizona (19-14, 8-10 Pac-10)
Baylor (21-10, 9-7 Big 12)
Illinois St. (24-9, 13-5 MVC)
Kentucky (18-12, 12-4 SEC)
Oregon (18-13, 9-9 Pac-10)
S. Ala. (26-6, 16-2 S. Belt)
St. Joe's (21-11, 9-7 A-10)
St. Mary's (25-6, 12-2 WCC)
Temple (20-12, 11-5 A-10)
UNLV (24-7, 12-4 MWC)
Va. Tech (19-13, 9-7 ACC)

Only Oregon and UK have fewer than 19 wins.
We didn't show up today, and I think it sinks us. We are going to be last year's Syracuse.
If we had won that game and lost the second tonight, then I think the committee gives us the sympathy for having had to play two games in one day.
But, we didn't win that first game, Georgia sucks and we should have beaten them, and I think that's going to ice our NIT cake.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='643737' date='Mar 15 2008, 06:45 PM']I don't think that the SEC is all that much of a "power" conference this year.
If we had a 12-4 record and were in the Big East, I'd say no worries.
I think we're getting left out in the cold this time.
Look at this from ESPN's bubble watch:

Bubble In (11)
Arizona (19-14, 8-10 Pac-10)
Baylor (21-10, 9-7 Big 12)
Illinois St. (24-9, 13-5 MVC)
Kentucky (18-12, 12-4 SEC)
Oregon (18-13, 9-9 Pac-10)
S. Ala. (26-6, 16-2 S. Belt)
St. Joe's (21-11, 9-7 A-10)
St. Mary's (25-6, 12-2 WCC)
Temple (20-12, 11-5 A-10)
UNLV (24-7, 12-4 MWC)
Va. Tech (19-13, 9-7 ACC)

Only Oregon and UK have fewer than 19 wins.
We didn't show up today, and I think it sinks us. We are going to be last year's Syracuse.
If we had won that game and lost the second tonight, then I think the committee gives us the sympathy for having had to play two games in one day.
But, we didn't win that first game, Georgia sucks and we should have beaten them, and I think that's going to ice our NIT cake.[/quote]

[img]http://uk.gizmodo.com/ChickenLittleSing.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='643739' date='Mar 15 2008, 06:50 PM'][img]http://uk.gizmodo.com/ChickenLittleSing.jpg[/img][/quote]
Ha! Whatever.
I don't think we make it. If we do, we could mount a run. If, if, if....it's a big IF to me making it at all.
To each his own.
I don't think we deserve it.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='643775' date='Mar 15 2008, 10:26 PM']Ha! Whatever.
I don't think we make it. If we do, we could mount a run. If, if, if....it's a big IF to me making it at all.
To each his own.
I don't think we deserve it.[/quote]

I think they'll get in. I'm surprised you might think there's a better chance of them mounting a run than there is of them getting in, after shitting the bed against georgia.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='643775' date='Mar 15 2008, 10:26 PM']Ha! Whatever.
To each his own.
[b]I don't think we deserve it.[/b][/quote]
while I agree with you here because of some atrocious losses, at home no less, but the power conferences have never had a team win 12 games in conference not get in...

Kentucky will be there. If nothing else name will tip it for them. Now, if roles were reversed and Tennessee was where Kentucky is now I'd be worried to death. Where Kentucky will get the benefit of the doubt - Tennessee, and others, wouldn't.

Bung, don't sweat it - you'll get there. I don't however, understand going from on the bubble to a 9 seed. I've never understood that in all the years I've watched the tourney...

If I were a Kentucky fan I'd be more worried about all the minutes Crawford / Bradley have played this season and hope that doesn't catch up to them, down the line...

[quote name='#22' post='643794' date='Mar 15 2008, 10:10 PM']Are the Vols a #2 seed now?

Did anyone else catch Pelphry telling Jajuan Smith to shut the fuck up? I need a .gif of that.[/quote]
I don't think so...

I think they'll still be a #1 - the only way I'll worry is if UCLA and Kansas both win their tourneys...
Our resume matches up with anybody out there. RPI #1, SOS #1, 29-4, 14-2, not a bad loss in the bunch, etc.

As for JaJuan, I'll say 2 things...

JaJuan needs to shut the fuck up and just play - I've felt that way all year.

AND

A coach, any coach, has no business talking shit to an opposing teams player... they're supposed to be above that. Telling them good job, etc. is fine and Pelphrey knew he was in the wrong when he was questioned at halftime and just dodged the question. I know college is different than little league, etc. but you can be assured if an opposing coach said anything derogatory to one of my players he'd have an issue and that issue would be me. They're just isn't any place for it.

We'd better hope that Arkansas beats UGA for the SEC Champ game...because Arkansas is one of four SEC teams automatically in already (TEN, VANDY, Miss ST) and I doubt that if Georgia gets in the committee will have room for a 6th SEC team, namely, Kentucky.

That's not how it works. There isn't a set # of SEC schools that could get in. An UGA win bumps a bubble team, but Kentucky is not that, according to Joe Lunardi. He says we are the 9th or 10th team away from being out, and has only missed 10 teams over the last 8 years.

[quote name='#22' post='643946' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:51 PM']That's not how it works. There isn't a set # of SEC schools that could get in. An UGA win bumps a bubble team, but Kentucky is not that, according to Joe Lunardi. He says we are the 9th or 10th team away from being out, and has only missed 10 teams over the last 8 years.[/quote]
I knew that wasn't how it worked, but I just thought that if Georgia gets in that it would make it easier for the committee to overlook UK in favor of someone else.
Happily, I was wrong and we drew an 11 seed and play Marquette the 6th seed in Anaheim.

Marquette will be a good game (revenge for the D Wade game! Fuck Tom Crean!), but now it's my turn to be chicken little. Their losses this year have been to teams like Georgetown, UConn, and UofL. Teams with a great inside presence. Something we don't have.

IF we win that game, we get Stanford and the Lopez Twins. Unless Jared Carter eats Bill Russell's heart and gains his strength, they will tear us up inside.

[quote name='#22' post='643983' date='Mar 16 2008, 05:10 PM']Marquette will be a good game (revenge for the D Wade game! Fuck Tom Crean!), but now it's my turn to be chicken little. Their losses this year have been to teams like Georgetown, UConn, and UofL. Teams with a great inside presence. Something we don't have.

IF we win that game, we get Stanford and the Lopez Twins. Unless Jared Carter eats Bill Russell's heart and gains his strength, they will tear us up inside.[/quote]
Yeah but we have enough guard depth to play fast-tempo ball and the bigger they are the harder it is for them to get back or shot block quicker more athletic guys.
Plus we have Perry Stevenson who's a decent shot-blocker in his own right.
And I hear our new defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer is working hard to develop our new 2-3 defense for the tournament...

Nah, we're all man-to-man. :)

I love Perry Stevenson and think that he has become much better over the course of the year, but the Lopez twins could declare for the draft the day after the game with UK and both be picked in the NBA Draft. And they each have 5-6" on Stevenson IIRC.

[quote name='#22' post='643990' date='Mar 16 2008, 06:23 PM']Nah, we're all man-to-man. :)

I love Perry Stevenson and think that he has become much better over the course of the year, but the Lopez twins could declare for the draft the day after the game with UK and both be picked in the NBA Draft. And they each have 5-6" on Stevenson IIRC.[/quote]
Does Jared Carter even play?
Besides him and Stevenson (now that Patterson is out) whom are our big men? Is that it?

Knowing that Kentucky would get in I thought their seed was about right - Marquette is a tough draw... As is Stanford because the Lopez twins are actually pretty agile and can run really well.

Can I bitch just a little?!? How does Tennessee go from a bubble #1 to the last #2? I don't get it. At worst, we should have been the #2 in Kansas' region.

Theoretically, we'll get Butler in round 2 (hello a game in the 50's to 60's tops which favors Butler), and if we get past them probably will get Louisville which is a lot like Memphis with less talent but no cakewalk. Then we get the #1 overall seed in North Carolina, in Charlotte again, where they've just won 3 games in a row to win the ACC tourney...

Nice... That is bullshit. I'm done!

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='644010' date='Mar 16 2008, 07:26 PM']Knowing that Kentucky would get in I thought their seed was about right - Marquette is a tough draw... As is Stanford because the Lopez twins are actually pretty agile and can run really well.

Can I bitch just a little?!? How does Tennessee go from a bubble #1 to the last #2? I don't get it. At worst, we should have been the #2 in Kansas' region.

Theoretically, we'll get Butler in round 2 (hello a game in the 50's to 60's tops which favors Butler), and if we get past them probably will get Louisville which is a lot like Memphis with less talent but no cakewalk. Then we get the #1 overall seed in North Carolina, in Charlotte again, where they've just won 3 games in a row to win the ACC tourney...

Nice... That is bullshit. I'm done![/quote]
UT can beat UNC. They would have to play an A game, but they can beat them.

And i think UT comes out of the East.

[quote name='JC' post='644012' date='Mar 16 2008, 08:32 PM']UT can beat UNC. They would have to play an A game, but they can beat them.

And i think UT comes out of the East.[/quote]

[quote name='#22' post='644013' date='Mar 16 2008, 08:39 PM']I'll be rooting for UT (or UofL) in a game against UNC.[/quote]

I appreciate the support. You're right - Tennessee can beat anybody on a given night... but we can lost to a lot of people on a given night too!!!

I just look back to Duke - they were ranked lower than Tennessee when conference tourneys started and lost in the semi's just like UT... I don't get it - I understand ACC bias, etc. but come on. UT's 4 losses this year came to a #2, #4, #8, and #11 seeds. That is pretty good.

And, the bracket I thought UT should have been the #2 in - Georgetown gets it!!! Georgetown?!? Are they serious??? The Big East and ACC get way to much credit year to year...

I'll shut up now. I guess a UT fan bitching about getting a shitty #2 seed shows how far this program has come since Pearl came here. 4 short years ago UT wasn't even getting into the tourney. I guess I should be thankful for how far this program has come. Oh well...

Let's just hope JaJuan and Lofton play lights out and Tyler does his thing. Rotate Crews, Chism, & Williams on Hansborough and work his ass over. UNC wants to run - so do we... I think we're a much better shooting team from the outside but they'd definitely have the upper hand inside. Hopefully we get that far to see that matchup.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='644029' date='Mar 16 2008, 08:58 PM']Let's just hope JaJuan and Lofton play lights out and Tyler does his thing. Rotate Crews, Chism, & Williams on Hansborough and work his ass over. UNC wants to run - so do we... I think we're a much better shooting team from the outside but they'd definitely have the upper hand inside. Hopefully we get that far to see that matchup.[/quote]
Tyler is a terrible defender. Well UNC collectively aren't that great at defending, they just outscore teams.

Ellington is a miss-hit guy. If he is off or if someone puts a hand in his face all game, he isn't a problem.

Ty is quick, and can penetrate, but if he can't stay healthy, they don't have a chance.

As long as they don't give Tyler the three point play, because god knows everytime he goes up he is going to make it look like someone mugged him and they shut off ty it would definately favor tenn.

It's easier said then done, but if Lofton has his stroke and they don't foul tyler. UT should win. Thats if they can get past Indiana. I hope Eric Gordon lights them up and they leave in the second round.

Tyler Hansbrough is probably the most overrated player (even for college) that I've ever seen. He is good at two things it seems: Taking the foul (something the ACC does with special talent, though I've never seen Hansbrough flop), and making teams pay from the charity stripe when he does get fouled.

In three games against admittedly poor UK squads, he has averaged 9ppg and 8rpg. Not exactly All-American numbers.

If Randolph Morris would have stayed another year, Tubby's decision to get Morris over Hansbrough would have looked a lot smarter, I think.

Nah, it's the other factor. Kentucky, with the way they play, can not win in a game called that close. I'm not saying the calls were bad, it's that there were too many calls. I hate games where they don't let the players play, it works against UK's D and injury-plagued team.

[quote name='steggyD' post='645169' date='Mar 21 2008, 03:32 PM']Nah, it's the other factor. Kentucky, with the way they play, can not win in a game called that close. I'm not saying the calls were bad, it's that there were too many calls. I hate games where they don't let the players play, it works against UK's D and injury-plagued team.[/quote]
I'll agree with that. So far, every game I've seen I've felt that way...

Did anyone watch the X-Purdue game? Jesus, it took like 20 minutes and the game clock went from 15:55 - 11:50...

Then, the last 4 minutes felt like they took 30...

The tight games go against my team as well - I think most SEC teams are that way. The close games have been fun to watch but the incessant fouls being called - some 85 feet away from the bucket that had no relevance to the game to be honest just makes the games not quite as much fun to watch.