OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

I just heard on teh news something is going down today, 3/27/09.

Interesting stuff on the radio the other day. I do not recall all of it but it was a step by step breakdown of teh timeline w/Tubby/Billy G.

Tubby will not recruit.
Uk tells him to make changes.
Tubby wants to hire son Saul.
Uk policy does not allow.
Tubby's agent seeks deal elsewhere.
When deal is found both are a win/win. Tubby can go and do coach/recuit the way he wants to. UK does not look bad firing him.
Uk knows Tubby deal is brewing and Billy D's agent is working on the UK deal.
Billy D was a done deal. All it lacked was for Billy D to sign and the Heat stepped up.
Billy D takes Heat job.
Rick P and someone else both called Billy D and talked him out of the NBA.
Uk now in panic mode as they are about to lose their recuiting class. Patterson and ?????
Uk - something to do with Ricky Barnes and another coach. I did not hear the whole segiment to understand.
In a panic from Barnhart ------- Billy G becomes the man, yet never signs his contract.

Moving forward from the mess, the 3 most obvious choices ------ 1) Billy D
2) J Calipari (sp?)
3) Travis Ford

Don't worry UK haters. They will be back. This is very simlar to what happened at NC just a few years ago. Doughtry made a mess and then what happened?

[quote name='cwing' post='759141' date='Mar 27 2009, 09:17 AM']I just heard on teh news something is going down today, 3/27/09.

Interesting stuff on the radio the other day. I do not recall all of it but it was a step by step breakdown of teh timeline w/Tubby/Billy G.

Tubby will not recruit.
Uk tells him to make changes.
Tubby wants to hire son Saul.
Uk policy does not allow.
Tubby's agent seeks deal elsewhere.
When deal is found both are a win/win. Tubby can go and do coach/recuit the way he wants to. UK does not look bad firing him.
Uk knows Tubby deal is brewing and Billy D's agent is working on the UK deal.
Billy D was a done deal. All it lacked was for Billy D to sign and the Heat stepped up.
Billy D takes Heat job.
Rick P and someone else both called Billy D and talked him out of the NBA.
Uk now in panic mode as they are about to lose their recuiting class. Patterson and ?????
Uk - something to do with Ricky Barnes and another coach. I did not hear the whole segiment to understand.
In a panic from Barnhart ------- Billy G becomes the man, yet never signs his contract.

Moving forward from the mess, the 3 most obvious choices ------ 1) Billy D
2) J Calipari (sp?)
3) Travis Ford

[b]Don't worry UK haters. They will be back.[/b] This is very simlar to what happened at NC just a few years ago. Doughtry made a mess and then what happened?[/quote]
:lol:

Why would the haters worry? THEY are happy! It's the fans like ME that are worried!!

:unsure:

It looks like they're going to hire who they should have hired 2 years ago...
[url="http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/032709source_donovan_leaving_UCF"]http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/03270...van_leaving_UCF[/url]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='759303' date='Mar 27 2009, 05:48 PM']Gillispie is Ghandi: [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4021232"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4021232[/url][/quote]

:lol:

Sorry bung not laughing at you

I wish Leakybengal still posted here, he kept going on and on about the "Tubby Appologists" and how Gillispie was the man and how he would turn UK around and make them a winning team again.

Sometimes people should be careful what they wish for. (in reference to firing marvin)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='759315' date='Mar 27 2009, 04:15 PM']:lol:

I wish Leakybengal still posted here, he kept going on and on about the "Tubby Appologists" and how Gillispie was the man and how he would turn UK around and make them a winning team again.

Sometimes people should be careful what they wish for. (in reference to firing marvin)[/quote]
I'm just stoked that they have the guy in place that they wanted instead of Billy G. I didn't want them to just fire Gillispie without having a successor already lined up.

Weird how this all turned out. Got the guy we wanted in the first place, and their names are seperated by one letter. Goodbye Billy G, hello Billy D!

This really changes the face of SEC basketball, too. And I bet a million bucks that we don't lose any of those top recruits Gillispie has coming in for next season. And Patterson said he was coming back, I bet Meeks comes back now too.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='759326' date='Mar 28 2009, 07:36 AM'][b]I'm just stoked that they have the guy in place that they wanted instead of Billy G.[/b] I didn't want them to just fire Gillispie without having a successor already lined up.

Weird how this all turned out. Got the guy we wanted in the first place, and their names are seperated by one letter. Goodbye Billy G, hello Billy D!

This really changes the face of SEC basketball, too. And I bet a million bucks that we don't lose any of those top recruits Gillispie has coming in for next season. And Patterson said he was coming back, I bet Meeks comes back now too.[/quote]
:blink:

Sounds like you've got a bit of wishful thinking going on there, Bung.

from ESPN:

[quote]GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Billy Donovan says he isn't going anywhere.
[b]
Donovan made it clear Friday he has no interest in the Kentucky job or any other opening, reaffirming his desire to stay in Gainesville and get the Gators back to the NCAA tournament.

"In response to the rumors circulating about my interest in other jobs, I wanted to address this as quickly as possible," Donovan said in a statement. "I am committed to the University of Florida and look forward to continuing to build our program here."[/b]

Kentucky fired coach Billy Gillispie on Friday, creating an opening at one of college basketball's premier programs and prompting speculation that Donovan would again be the top target to return to the Bluegrass State. Donovan spent five years as an assistant under Rick Pitino in Lexington, learning all about Kentucky's unrivaled fan base and unrealistic expectations.

Nonetheless, [b]Donovan spurned a chance to take over the tradition-rich program in April 2007, turning down athletic director Mitch Barnhart before he even offered him the job. [i]Donovan didn't even let it get that far this time around. His statement was released minutes after Barnhart announced Gillispie's dismissal[/i].[/b]

Florida officials, including athletic director Jeremy Foley, don't expect Donovan to waver on his word, either.

Nearly two months after turning down Kentucky in 2007, Donovan took a job with the NBA's Orlando Magic but changed his mind after just a couple days on the job. He returned to Gainesville, got ripped nationally for his flip-flop decision and apologized profusely to everyone involved.

Donovan eventually signed a six-year contract that pays $3.5 million annually. The deal includes a clause stating that Donovan and his agent cannot directly or indirectly explore, discuss or negotiate any employment with any other school or professional team without Foley's written approval.

Foley said Kentucky never requested permission to talk to Donovan.

The Gators are 310-126 in 13 seasons under Donovan, who has vowed to get the Gators on the same level as storied basketball programs like Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke and UCLA. He still has work to do.

Florida became the first national champion since the field expanded to 64 teams in 1985 to miss the NCAA tournament in consecutive years. Florida finished 25-11 this season and lost in the quarterfinals of the NIT.

The Gators could return four starters and most of their reserves next season. They also have highly touted guard Kenny Boynton and Georgetown transfer Vernon Macklin waiting to take the court.

Nonetheless, some felt Donovan might be ready for a new challenge, especially after the last two seasons, and Kentucky offers a place where basketball is king.

Then again, Donovan has put down deep roots in Gainesville with his wife and four children. His parents also live nearby.[/quote]

I have a feeling you guys will end up with Travis Ford. Most people will be upset, but I think he'll do much better than Billy G. He'll make all the off-court inroads that Billy G seemed socially unable to do. I remember hearing something about how the UK coach has addressed some rotary club (maybe it was something else?) before every season since the 1950's and Gillispie just blew it off and downplayed its importance. Ford will be much more adroit at handling everything off the court, and I think he's a better basketball coach anyway. I guess the real question is can he consistently recruit, he's never had to do that at a "BCS," nevermind a school like UK, school for an extended period of time.

[quote name='#22' post='759348' date='Mar 27 2009, 09:00 PM']This just in, Alan Cutler is a huuuuuuge Douche.

[/quote]
Jesus Christ save me. I knew Alan was a Lexington douche, but not a LEXINGTON DOUCHEBAG!

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='759355' date='Mar 27 2009, 10:00 PM']I have a feeling you guys will end up with Travis Ford. Most people will be upset, but I think he'll do much better than Billy G. He'll make all the off-court inroads that Billy G seemed socially unable to do. I remember hearing something about how the UK coach has addressed some rotary club (maybe it was something else?) before every season since the 1950's and Gillispie just blew it off and downplayed its importance. Ford will be much more adroit at handling everything off the court, and I think he's a better basketball coach anyway. I guess the real question is can he consistently recruit, he's never had to do that at a "BCS," nevermind a school like UK, school for an extended period of time.[/quote]
I'd be ecstatic with Travis Ford. UK boy comes home, etc. Storytime.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='759347' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:49 PM']:blink:

Sounds like you've got a bit of wishful thinking going on there, Bung.

from ESPN:[/quote]
Billy D is COMING TO KENTUCKY!!!!!

Stop saying otherwise!

Because if it isn't Billy D, and we just fired Billy G, then we are begging...and UK doesn't beg bitch!!!!!!!

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='759315' date='Mar 27 2009, 05:15 PM']:lol:

[b]I wish Leakybengal still posted here, he kept going on and on about the "Tubby Appologists" and how Gillispie was the man and how he would turn UK around and make them a winning team again.[/b]

Sometimes people should be careful what they wish for. (in reference to firing marvin)[/quote]

I knew someone was giving me hell for saying they made a mistake.
I couldn't remember who it was though. But it was him.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='759497' date='Mar 28 2009, 05:25 PM']That and college coaches lie all the time.[/quote]
Thats true. I think the the interest is definately there. The talent at UK is there as well. Someone just has to put it together. Billy is a hell of a recruiter and has some killer classes coming into UF the next few years so he may stay put there as well. Hopefully something unfolds soon.

[quote name='JC' post='759499' date='Mar 28 2009, 04:32 PM']Thats true. I think the the interest is definately there. The talent at UK is there as well. Someone just has to put it together. Billy is a hell of a recruiter and has some killer classes coming into UF the next few years so he may stay put there as well. Hopefully something unfolds soon.[/quote]
Billy G has a pretty good class coming in, too. I hope that whomever is selected to be the new coach that he can convince the players coming in to still come, and also to keep Patterson and Meeks around for at least one more year. I think both need more polish before they are NBA ready anyway, especially Meeks.

From Lance McAlister's blog . . .

[quote][b]Things I'm told[/b]
According to a college basketball coach and a retired coach I spoke to....
The UK wish list making its way through the coaching circle is:
1. Tom Izzo
2. John Calipari
3. Jay Wright[/quote]

[url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url]

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='759681' date='Mar 29 2009, 05:26 PM']what makes Kentucky such a popular job?[/quote]
Money, prestige, history and being the God of an entire state.

UK is the winningest program in NCAA history, and the oldest, and utterly dominates all the SEC conference record books.

I sure hope UK ends up with a coach they genuinely want and that wants to come here. I think it's going to be Calipari now.

Donovan is wishy-washy, and I think Calipari really covets the job, so I hope he gets it. He's a great recruiter and a good coach.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='759685' date='Mar 29 2009, 05:33 PM']From Lance McAlister's blog . . .

[url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url][/quote]
I don't think Izzo will come here.

FWIW Calipari met with UK today and has a press conference at noon tomorrow supposedly.

[quote]From Lexington Herald Leader:

The Bluegrass State Basketball blog is predicting that John Calipari will be named UK coach this week:

They have a source close to the Kentucky basketball program that thinks there will be a new coach announced this week. My source feels that an announcement will be made before Wednesday.[/quote]

From the Devils Den.

It is also to be noted that John Wall, the nations top recruit, named Memphis his leader not long ago and now is meeting with Coach K for the first time after a few months of mutual interest. The only reason i mention this, is because it might be that he is meeting with K because he doesn't want to go to Memphis w/o Calipari now, and Wall and K have never had a one on one even though he has had interest for awhile. It looks like Cal might be heading to UK.

Edit:

A little more i found over there

[quote]5 star Demarcus Cousin's facebook already says Calipari to UK.... Calipari had 3 of the top 5 players in the Nation committed to Memphis. Sources say they all 3 might end up at UK. They said they were going to Memphis for the coach. Also they said Wall wouldnt visit UK until Calipari was officially announced as Head Coach!!! UK would be getting four 5 star recruits and a 4 star recruit if all this comes into play in 1 class....[/quote]

How many schollies does UK have? If they can keep Pat and Meeks they could win a NC next year easily if they can get all these recruits. I can't even imagine the starting line up if they got all of Cal's recruits.

I just found an answer to that post. They have 15 signed and one verbal. 2 or three would have to leave to get those guys. If Meeks and Patterson leave, you could be getting some really good ones. Or even if you get some transfers.