OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

[quote name='scharm' post='760610' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:13 PM']Despite what the NCAA says, UK didn't get a bye to the Championship that year.[/quote]

UMASS and Calipari were stripped of all victories in that tournament and forced to repay all their earnings from it for breaking the rules. One doesn't get to take credit for honors which have been stripped away from him. This is like saying Floyd Landis is a Tour de France champion, because despite what the World Anti-Doping Agency says, he crossed the finish line first.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='760692' date='Apr 2 2009, 04:02 PM']UMASS and Calipari were stripped of all victories in that tournament and forced to repay all their earnings from it for breaking the rules. One doesn't get to take credit for honors which have been stripped away from him. This is like saying Floyd Landis is a Tour de France champion, because despite what the World Anti-Doping Agency says, he crossed the finish line first.[/quote]

How? I didn't call them Champion. I didn't give them credit. They still played in the Final Four against UK.

Did this happen or didn't? Was the ruling based on the off court behavior of a player or was it based on performing enhancement drugs?

Coach Calipari coached in 2 Final Fours. I watched both of them.

This isn't a discussion of Cal's place among all time great coaches, it more a discussion of how great a hire this is for UK.

He's proven the following: Can add top talent, Can coach basketball that the top league in the world pursued him, knows the NBA game, knows how to win enough game to get to the NCAA tourney, knows how to win enough games to get to the final four and championship game.

What the fuck do I care what UMASS can claim or not claim?

• 4 weeks later...
I tend to think that this kid is going to narrow down to UK, Miami, and Duke pretty soon.

Words won't describe my glee if he signs with UK. It would be like having Lebron on a college team.
Honestly, I'm not sure how his athleticism would work at FlopU. Miami scares me, though. Personally, I would rather live in Coral Gables than in Lexington for a year.

[quote name='#22' post='771903' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:05 PM']I tend to think that this kid is going to narrow down to UK, Miami, and Duke pretty soon.

Words won't describe my glee if he signs with UK. It would be like having Lebron on a college team.
Honestly, I'm not sure how his athleticism would work at FlopU. Miami scares me, though. Personally, I would rather live in Coral Gables than in Lexington for a year.[/quote]
Pretty cagey reply to Mr. Scharm's post, Mr. #22.

[quote name='#22' post='771903' date='Apr 30 2009, 12:05 AM']Honestly, I'm not sure how his athleticism would work at FlopU.[/quote]
El Oh El. I'm sure it may work a little better on a sweet 16 team, than a NIT team..

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='771907' date='Apr 30 2009, 12:23 AM']Well I bet Cal and WWW are paying the most, so I wouldn't be shocked if he does end up in Kentucky Blue. ;)[/quote]
Me either. It must be nice to buy a team..Wall didn't even give UK the time of the day before Cal stepped over.

Wall hasn't even qualified to come to Duke, so at this point were not even an option. I saw he is cutting his list Friday though.

Seriously, though...What athletic point guards have ever played for Duke?
I'll help you narrow this down even further...what athletic point guards have ever played for Duke and done [i]anything[/i] in the NBA? (Jay Williams and his 1 season do not count)

John Wall isn't going to come to Kentucky for any other reason than John Calipari, who made Derrick Rose a #1 overall pick and who has probably helped Tyreke Evans wind up as a lottery pick.

[quote]Me either. It must be nice to buy a team..Wall didn't even give UK the time of the day before Cal stepped over.

Wall hasn't even qualified to come to Duke, so at this point were not even an option.[/quote]
And this is why Blue Devil fans are the most hated group in College Basketball. Wall did take a visit to UK before Calipari came on board, but like I mentioned earlier, this kid doesn't care about tradition. He has to play in the NCAAs for 1 year before he can star in the NBA, and wants to play for the coach who will give him the best chance at getting drafted high.

Duke's high academic requirements are dropped substantially for athletes, though, and I'm not sure why Duke fans who didn't actually go to Duke always bring them up... (not sure if you went or not, it's just a generalization)

[quote name='#22' post='772134' date='Apr 30 2009, 02:47 PM']Seriously, though...What athletic point guards have ever played for Duke?
I'll help you narrow this down even further...what athletic point guards have ever played for Duke and done [i]anything[/i] in the NBA? (Jay Williams and his 1 season do not count)

John Wall isn't going to come to Kentucky for any other reason than John Calipari, who made Derrick Rose a #1 overall pick and who has probably helped Tyreke Evans wind up as a lottery pick.

And this is why Blue Devil fans are the most hated group in College Basketball. Wall did take a visit to UK before Calipari came on board, but like I mentioned earlier, this kid doesn't care about tradition. He has to play in the NCAAs for 1 year before he can star in the NBA, and wants to play for the coach who will give him the best chance at getting drafted high.

Duke's high academic requirements are dropped substantially for athletes, though, and I'm not sure why Duke fans who didn't actually go to Duke always bring them up... (not sure if you went or not, it's just a generalization)[/quote]
I wouldn't say we have had a ton of athletic point guards, but we do have the most players in the NBA right now..a few good ones at that

Anyways if you really think that Cal developed Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans, your nuts. These kids were lottery picks out of high school. He may have put them in a good system..but they are NBA ready men playing with boys. K would run a similar system if Wall was here anyways.

How does any of what you said make us the most hated? The fact that i stated John wouldn't have given UK the time of day before Cal came around and now UK is kicking people off their team to make room for a guy that had no interest until a few weeks ago? Seems pretty shitty to me. I guess if that makes me a bad person for looking down at that, then thats fine.

And Duke does lower the standard for athletes when it comes to academics. But John has no scores from the ACT or SAT yet. Therefore, he isn't even college eligible.

I do, from all i have read believe John Wall is leaning towards UK at this point. We will see.

I wouldn't say "developed," but he didn't fuck them up (Thaddeus Young, B.J. Mullens come to mind...).

Regardless, what other coach can point to two better PGs that he's had over the last 2 years?

[quote name='#22' post='772467' date='May 1 2009, 01:14 PM']One and dones are kind of a new thing in the NCAA landscape, so I would expect to start seeing more of it.[/quote]
I'd be willing to bet if Europe takes off anymore the one n done rule will be something similar to two years in school or NBA if you want.

At least i hope. It's the way it should be now.

I'm also reading a lot of people saying their confident John is going to UK. Great grab. It's too bad that he won't be a Dukie. I hope we don't have to play him.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='772605' date='May 1 2009, 08:38 PM']You Duke fans make me irretrievably ill. It's bad enough that you post in the UK Wildcat thread; do you have to post shit about your fucking team, too?

^_^[/quote]
I just wanna talk ball..

:cry: :broken:

[url="http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5075734/"]http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5075734/[/url]

[quote]Prep basketball standout Wall cited with breaking and entering
John Wall

Posted: Today at 10:23 a.m.
Updated: 22 minutes ago

Raleigh, N.C. — Local high school basketball standout John Wall, one of the nation's top uncommitted college prospects, has been cited with breaking and entering, Raleigh police said Monday.

Johnathan Hildred Wall, a 6-4 playmaker, averaged 21 points, seven rebounds and nine assists for Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh this past season. He is the No. 1-ranked point guard in the country by both Rivals.com and Scout.com.

Authorities said Wall, 18, of 537 E. Davie St., Raleigh, was charged with misdemeanor breaking and entering in connection with an April 27 afternoon break-in at an unoccupied house for sale at 3924 Laurel Glen Drive in Raleigh.

Wall, the most highly recruited high school player in the country, is being sought after by a number of colleges, including North Carolina State University and Duke University.

University of Memphis, University of Miami, Baylor University, University of Kansas and University of Kentucky are also pursuing him. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has expressed an interest.

Wall is expected to narrow his list of schools any day now. The signing period ends May 20.

Because NCAA rules prohibit schools from commenting officially on prospects, it's unclear how the citation could affect recruiting and Wall's decision.

But Dave Telep, national director of recruiting for men's basketball for Scout.com, said that unless "something bigger" comes of the charge, he doesn't see it as an issue.

"At this point, it doesn't look like it's going to adversely affect their recruiting of John," he told 99.9 FM The Fan Monday afternoon after talking to two schools that are recruiting Wall.

"I wouldn't jump to conclusions," Telep told WRAL News. "It's a misdemeanor. It could be nothing more than a mistake."

Police said an officer saw Wall leaving from the rear of the residence around 12:30 p.m. and was able to detain him. There was no forced entry at the residence and no indication that anything was taken from it. Authorities would not say what he might have been doing there.

"I think John is a good kid. It doesn't feel right," added Telep, who has followed Wall for more than three years.

Two other people were also charged in the April 27 crime. Bria Renea Draughn, 16, of 3212 Harmony Court, Raleigh, was detained while walking along a nearby street. Reginald Leonard Jackson II, 17, of 108 Luxorwind Drive, Garner, was detained when he returned to the residence, police said.

Word of God principal Anesha Pittman had no comment Monday morning.

"You'll have to speak with his mother about that," she said.[/quote]

Two things make me slightly suspicious:
[quote]Prep basketball standout Wall cited with [b]breaking and entering[/b]
[b]There was no forced entry at the residence[/b] and no indication that anything was taken from it. Authorities would not say what he might have been doing there.[/quote]
What is breaking and entering, exactly?

[quote]Two other people were also charged in the April 27 crime. Bria Renea Draughn, 16, of 3212 Harmony Court, Raleigh, was detained while walking along a nearby street. Reginald Leonard Jackson II, 17, of 108 Luxorwind Drive, Garner, was detained when he returned to the residence, police said.[/quote]
Is it legal to publish the names of minors charged with misdemeanors?

Apparently Wall took little chick-a-boo into this forclosed house and got coming out of the rear.

Hope he got what he wanted.

No schools will back off because of this. He was probably just being a kid, but it is underage.