OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

[quote name='#22' post='779223' date='May 28 2009, 03:55 PM']I guess that quote about inquisitive idiots in your sig has some new meaning now.

:rofl: though if you think that UK didn't know the ins and outs of this investigation (which is 18 months in the works) before they hired Calipari. Why do you think the first 5 minutes of the presser when they hired the guy were about academic integrity and honesty?

Sandy Bell, who is now UK's chief compliance officer, was in charge of the NCAA investigation against Marcus Camby and UMASS. She personally gave our AD the OK to hire Calipari, and vouched for his clean record in the Camby case.

Here are some things to look at in this case:
1.) Calipari has not been named in any allegations, and neither have any other current or past Memphis coaches.
2.) Calipari has been sent a letter by the NCAA formally clearing him of any wrongdoing. He has been asked to testify because that's the protocol in these matters.
3.) The NCAAs still haven't shown that Rose's SAT scores were, in fact, fraudulent.
4.) The test in question was taken before Rose had committed to Memphis.
5.) If Memphis knew this was coming down the pipe and thought that Calipari was involved [i]in any way[/i], why did they try to outpay UK to keep him at Memphis?
6.) Cal, by the way, has graduate 19 of 22 players in the last few years at Memphis who didn't go to the Pros. What are Bruce Pearl's numbers here, I wonder?

So anyway, Calipari has been involved (and [u]absolved[/u]) in two scandals in 27 years of coaching. Lane Kiffin has had 3 recruiting violations in his first 3 months as UT's football coach.

Thanks for playing :wave:[/quote]

Easy there, tiger... getting a little worked up aren't we???

When Calipari first was announced, as you can easily go back and look up, there were several posts here talking about his less than stellar track record...

Again, I guess it is just coincidence that this crap keeps happening while Calipari is the head coach... kind of like Kelvin Sampson. Just bad luck I guess.

As for Kiffin - as you can go back and look at in prior posts... I've never been a fan of his... all that being said - you're bringing up secondary violations??? Hah! That is hilarious... Oh god... he said a recruit's name on the radio... oh god... That is funny!

And, regarding Cal's graduation rate... "19 of 22 that didn't go to the pros"... what the hell does that mean? Technically, it is 19 of 22 that stayed 4 years, not just went to the pros - you added that part... but we won't get caught up in facts. But, beyond that, now we're here arguing Calipari's or Pearl's graduation percentages??? Laughable. Are guy's transferring factored into the numbers? What about leaving school for whatever reason?

I do think it is funny that you Big Blue fans coming running to defend the guy when there have been numerous articles and stories detailing Calipari's historical exploits... Esquire magazine's article on the C-USA when it highlighted Calipari, Huggins, and Pitino together... less than savory. Gary Parrish used to cover Calipari...

Dude, don't fight it. Embrace it. Kentucky will win a shit pot load of games with Calipari. They'll end up NCAA trouble because of shit Calipari has done. Just embrace those things and run with them - take the bad with the good.

[quote name='#22' post='779226' date='May 28 2009, 04:04 PM']By the way, can anyone find a successful modern college coach who hasn't been guilty by association with wrongdoing?[/quote]

I don't like the guy but I don't recall any wrongdoing or stories thereof of Coach K. Tom Izzo, maybe.

By wrongdoing... are we talking secondary violations???

Or, paying to have people take other people's tests?
Or, paying for people's apartments?
Or, paying for people's families' apartments?

There are so many variations of NCAA violations / wrongdoing... didn't know what exactly you'd be referring to. Secondary crap is stupid stuff... unless it continues to build up and at some point then I guess so many secondaries should equal a primary, etc.

[quote name='#22' post='779223' date='May 28 2009, 03:55 PM']I guess that quote about inquisitive idiots in your sig has some new meaning now.

:rofl: though if you think that UK didn't know the ins and outs of this investigation (which is 18 months in the works) before they hired Calipari. Why do you think the first 5 minutes of the presser when they hired the guy were about academic integrity and honesty?[/quote]

From the Yahoo sports homepage:
[quote]An NCAA spokesperson said the organization did not discuss John Calipari’s role in the ongoing investigation at Memphis with anyone at the University of Kentucky before the Wildcats hired Calipari earlier this spring.[/quote]
[url="http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-kentucky052809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns"]http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/ne...o&type=lgns[/url]

[quote name='#22' post='779226' date='May 28 2009, 04:04 PM']By the way, can anyone find a sucessful modern college coach who hasn't been guilty by association with wrongdoing?[/quote]

This is why college sports suck ass.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='779241' date='May 28 2009, 04:57 PM']From the Yahoo sports homepage:

[url="http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-kentucky052809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns"]http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/ne...o&type=lgns[/url][/quote]
Right, but Calipari knew about the allegations in late January and fully disclosed the facts to UK before he was hired.

From the same article:
"UK president Lee T. Todd Jr. told the Lexington Herald-Leader on Thursday that Calipari was up-front about the Memphis investigation during the interview process, and that he fully supports the hire."

Corey Maggette admitted to taking thousands of dollars from some crack dealer named Myron Piggie while he was playing at Duke. Since he was getting paid while he was playing (like Marcus Camby), Duke should have had to forfeit every game he played in '99.
Izzo, as far as I know, is clean.

Everything I'm reading leads me to think that this isn't a big deal at all. Especially this one:
[url="http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/2009/05/hood-talked-to-uk-staff.html"]http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demli...o-uk-staff.html[/url]

[quote name='#22' post='779245' date='May 28 2009, 05:40 PM']Corey Maggette admitted to taking thousands of dollars from some crack dealer named Myron Piggie while he was playing at Duke. Since he was getting paid while he was playing (like Marcus Camby), Duke should have had to forfeit every game he played in '99.
Izzo, as far as I know, is clean.[/quote]
What does that have to do with Coach K again?

Cal is a slimeball. I'm sure every UK will come to his defense though..but fact is that he pretty much got Rose into college and catered to his needs to get him to Memphis.

I'm sure the same situation will come up here in a few years..

[quote name='JC' post='779256' date='May 28 2009, 05:13 PM']What does that have to do with Coach K again?

Cal is a slimeball. I'm sure every UK will come to his defense though..but fact is that he pretty much got Rose into college and catered to his needs to get him to Memphis.

I'm sure the same situation will come up here in a few years..[/quote]
Isn't it possible that someone (without Calipari's knowledge) helped Rose on his SAT? Like maybe an agent? A friend? An alum? I mean, he's taking that test [i]before[/i] college, not after.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='779263' date='May 28 2009, 08:27 PM']Isn't it possible that someone (without Calipari's knowledge) helped Rose on his SAT? Like maybe an agent? A friend? An alum? I mean, he's taking that test [i]before[/i] college, not after.[/quote]
I just think it was cal because cal wanted Rose badly. Rose could have played Juco ball and still made the lottery.

But who knows. Seems like there is a similar situation going on with Wall.

• 4 weeks later...
People on the internet (especially Chris Douglas-Roberts) are very stupid:
[url="http://deadspin.com/5301702/fake-john-calipari-is-terrorizing-facebookand-other-things-of-note"]http://deadspin.com/5301702/fake-john-cali...-things-of-note[/url]

lol @
"PIITB"
"Yes Sir"

Hilarious.

I think I am at the point where I am starting to believe that Calipari [i]is[/i] a little dirty, but I oddly find myself not caring much. I think he just happened to [i]get caught[/i] (even if in reality he really didn't, the meaning is that an aspect of his program got caught under his supposed watch), and that's what I want to stop. If a coach is doing anything even remotely shady (Calhoun?), you keep that shit tight and under wraps. Otherwise you aren't an effective leader.

There is no such thing as "playing within the rules" anymore, now it's "let's get creative with this rule". I have to be fine with that, otherwise, college basketball wouldn't be much fun for me anymore.

But I blame the NCAA just as much as I do the coaches/programs (there can be a difference!) for not anticipating the unravelling of the game as it translates into pro ball. Some of their rules, like a player not being able to have a job, are positively draconian, and so are he punishments doled out when a program is found in violation of these rules, even if it's relatively minor.

I just want to win. Kentucky basketball has suffered enough under the reign of a fool, it's time to get back to basics. And that means recruiting players that are worth a shit [i]creatively[/i].

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Give UK credit... they hired the "Teflon" coach! Nothing ever sticks to him!!! All this shit happens but he never "has any knowledge of it"... Rose's brother flew on the team plane with the team (not on his own dime) but Calipari managed to not realize him out of the 26, or so, in the group... This isn't a football team with 80+ players, trainers, etc. This is maybe 15 players, maybe, and a trainer or two, SID's, etc. But he was unaware...

Only coach in history to vacate Final Four appearances at two different schools.

[url="http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/aug/20/geoff-calkins-ncaa-ruling-less-about-memphis-more-/"]Memphis' Punishment Under Calipari[/url]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Answer me these questions three: If Irving was such a strong Duke lean, why didn't he commit on his visit? Wasn't Bledsoe a guaranteed thing, too? When Irving (or some other player in the future) decides to go to UK over Duke, won't it be because he was too dumb to go to Duke? Isn't that how it always is with you guys?

I'm not really sure why Irving was invited anyway. We can basically choose between Selby and Knight at this point, and Gilchrist is ours next year, anyway.

[quote name='#22' date='15 October 2009 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1255624912' post='816649']
Answer me these questions three: If Irving was such a strong Duke lean, why didn't he commit on his visit? Wasn't Bledsoe a guaranteed thing, too? When Irving (or some other player in the future) decides to go to UK over Duke, won't it be because he was too dumb to go to Duke? Isn't that how it always is with you guys?

I'm not really sure why Irving was invited anyway. We can basically choose between Selby and Knight at this point, and Gilchrist is ours next year, anyway.
[/quote]
lolz.

I have no clue why Irving didn't commit, but I know the guys with inside info know something I don't and it sounds pretty promising. Even Nolan Smith indicated he thought Kyrie was coming. But i would be willing to bet his Father is making him take the visits. Duke never offered Bledsoe, no sure thing he would have gotten in with his summer math classes. And if Irving does decide to go to UK over Duke, which is very very slim, it will be because of Rod Strickland.

and apparently Slimester sees something in Irving to go after him when he's hot on the trail of Knight and Selby. Selby's going to KU's midnight madness and Knight isn't going to BBM either. Maybe you guys can't just choose what recruits you want after all.

[quote name='#22' date='22 October 2009 - 12:44 AM' timestamp='1256183092' post='819469']
Kyrie Irving is oging to announce his commitment tomorrow on ESPNU. Obviously, the smart money is on Duke.
[/quote]
I guess Drake, Obama, and Big Ben just couldn't pull Kyrie in..

BTW that gay guy in that video that was posted was the one that hosted him when he came through. This recruitment has been over since he was at Duke and gave his silent verbal*.

[quote]I don't give a fuck anymore. I just want to see UK finally succumb to all the dirty bullshit other programs like to proclaim they avoid, and win some fucking games, along with going deep into the tourney.[/quote]

I don't think you have to worry about that. UK is going to be very, very good this year. I think final four good. They have the talent.

Obviously KU is the team to beat, returning a ton of very good starters, but UK with that monster class they pulled in has to be right behind them. Also, with Cal, there really isn't any need to worry about winning games, I think now your in the territory of how prepared you can get for the tournament every year, because he gets the talent.

*Obviously taking this from Rivals since I have no inside info. (But it was mentioned that he silently verballed at Duke, went on trips as family obligation)

• 4 weeks later...
Wow.

Wall is nasty. I can definitely see UK making at least a final four run with these young guys. Once Wall and Bledsoe hit full strides. I know they didn't win by much last night but not a lot of teams are going to shoot over fifty percent behind the line while shooting over 25 threes.

Kansas v. Kentucky would be the perfect championship game. Both teams are stacked. Kentucky is going to be a fun team to watch this year.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='17 November 2009 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1258493930' post='829560']
Squeaking out a last gasp shot to beat Miami isn't exactly awe-inspiring.
[/quote]
I know Miami isn't great..but sometimes teams are just on fire. I think i saw they were 15-26 from behind the arc. That's insane. I wouldn't expect such young guys being able to play college level defense at this point yet anyways. When they do end up finding out how to play defense, they already have the offense. This team is a NC contender and there's no doubt about it.

If the "Cardiac Cats" have taught me anything about sports this year, it's that I guess I can't complain about a win.
Yeah, Miami looked very good and Charlies Coles is an excellent coach (more on that in a little while), but UK's Offense has been sloppy up to this point. I know that a lot of these problems come from learning the DDMO, and I wonder if Calipari starts implementing more post up plays in the game to take advantage of Patterson's and Cousin's talents. I think Bledsoe just had an off night last night, and I'm not reading too much into how the Wall/Bledsoe dynamic is going to work out.

Now the good:
I'm also a little pissed off at John Wall showboating like an asshole when the team is down by 18 to a team like Miami. Who can be mad at this, though?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MqmMxvQrxM[/media]
Even if Wall clangs that last shot, I honestly think that Cousins would have been there for the putback jam.

Cal's offense puts [i]a lot[/i] of pressure on the defense, and I think that it is going to take either a very hot team (like last night's Redhawks) or a very deep team to beat us. Even when UK was down by 18, I was pretty sure that UK had the game, based on the high #s of Fouls that Miami was racking up, and I think UK is going to do that all year long. It remains to be seen how the Freshman make free throws, but the upperclassmen (especially Patterson) are very good from the charity stripe, a weakness of past Calipari teams.

Finally, Charlie Coles is awesome:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnilJdwyPRs[/media]
kind of a "UK are who we thought they were, and it's not my fault we let them off the hook."

UK has no chance of winning the NC. Calipari doesnt coach defense. Miami hit 15 threes because UK left them WIDE open the ENTIRE game. Miami would drive and kick to the corner for a wide open three at will. Calipari always recruits all this great talent and then doesnt coach it up and doesnt teach defense or how to play as a team. They will spend the year playing inconsistently because they will be a bunch of individuals out there playing. They will beat a lot of teams just because of pure talent but they will lose to someone in the tourney that has good talent and the concept of defense and playing as a team.