OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='17 November 2009 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1258510806' post='829687']
UK has no chance of winning the NC. Calipari doesnt coach defense. Miami hit 15 threes because UK left them WIDE open the ENTIRE game. Miami would drive and kick to the corner for a wide open three at will. Calipari always recruits all this great talent and then doesnt coach it up and doesnt teach defense or how to play as a team. They will spend the year playing inconsistently because they will be a bunch of individuals out there playing. They will beat a lot of teams just because of pure talent but they will lose to someone in the tourney that has good talent and the concept of defense and playing as a team.
[/quote]
How do you explain Cal taking Memphis to the Final game in the 2008 NCAA tourney while never giving up more than 75 points in that Tourney?

Miami used a lineup where 4 out of 5 players could hit the three, and they had a [i]great[/i] night. Hitting 54% of your threes doesn't happen all of the time.

Besides, dude, it is a little early in the season to say that UK has no chance. Why do you think that the first few games of the season are against mediocre teams? I would rather Kentucky have a great final 10 games than a great first 10 games, and I think that's exactly what they will do. Enjoy another Sweet Sixteen season, Dukie.

[quote name='#22' date='17 November 2009 - 11:09 PM' timestamp='1258513758' post='829710']
How do you explain Cal taking Memphis to the Final game in the 2008 NCAA tourney while never giving up more than 75 points in that Tourney?

Miami used a lineup where 4 out of 5 players could hit the three, and they had a [i]great[/i] night. Hitting 54% of your threes doesn't happen all of the time.

Besides, dude, it is a little early in the season to say that UK has no chance. Why do you think that the first few games of the season are against mediocre teams? I would rather Kentucky have a great final 10 games than a great first 10 games, and I think that's exactly what they will do. Enjoy another Sweet Sixteen season, Dukie.
[/quote]

ive already stated that Duke is at best a sweet 16 team this year, especially with our starting PF breaking his wrist. Dukes next title chances are in March 2011 and 2012.

My opinion on UK was made well before this game. It is typical Calipari he doesnt teach team concept and doesnt improve his players as a team. he improves them on an individual basis but doesnt improve them as much as other coaches would. he gets top talent but doesnt develop it that well. A lot of the power house teams are down this year so this would be an easy year to have one of the best recruiting classes ever and little big time teams challenging you to win a title but he will find a way to fail. I would have never hired him if i was UK. There were better coaches around. I am not bashing UK i am just saying they wont win a title. I am very confident in that belief. You can say well no shit cuz there are a ton of teams and only 1 can win it, but i dont care if you believe or agree with me. just my opinion.

I also think Tennessee is the best team in the country. They returned all of their starters i believe.

We can agree to disagree regarding UK, but you really think that UT is better than UNC, Texas, and Kansas?

Sure, they return all 5 starters, but they were only 21-12 last year, missing the NCAA tournament and getting destroyed by Jodie Meeks at home.

Coach Pearl doesn't put together great defensive teams, either.

[quote name='#22' date='18 November 2009 - 02:01 AM' timestamp='1258524084' post='829747']
We can agree to disagree regarding UK, but you really think that UT is better than UNC, Texas, and Kansas?

Sure, they return all 5 starters, but they were only 21-12 last year, missing the NCAA tournament and getting destroyed by Jodie Meeks at home.
[b]
Coach Pearl doesn't put together great defensive teams, either.[/b]
[/quote]

No he doesnt but they arent relying on a bunch of freshman to play that D either and the players themselves have put more of a focus on defense.

i dont see UNC as being very good this year. really the ACC will be kind of down this year. wake, unc and duke are not dominant teams this year so it will be interesting to see how the acc season goes.

for some reason i never take texas too serious i think its their coach.

kansas should be good of course. i just think UT is going to surprise people because they are better than people give credit and they have gotten 0 talk.

• 2 weeks later...
Alright sports fans, tomorrow we find out if this team is for real or not. I think that UK will have a hard time winning, but if we can win this game and then UCONN in NYC, the team could very well go undefeated this year.

also, King James will be in attendance.

[quote name='steggyD' date='09 December 2009 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1260382701' post='839313']
Headed to the City to watch tonight's game!

Go Wildcats!!!
[/quote]
So you saw the Great Wall in person, huh? What was it like? Were you blinded and knocked off of your mule on the way to NYC?

On the train on the way home now. I had to see the great Wall in person. Wouldn't dare miss an opppurtunity like this.

Damn good game! Wall was more explosive than I could imagine in that first 12 0 run. After that he slowed down a bit. Uconn had a good answer for a while there. And even being in nyc, I swear there were more uk fans than uconn fans.

Lucky lucky man. Wall is a monster. I plan on going down to the UK/UL game in a couple of weeks. Haven't been to one of those games in years. Gonna be awesome. Still can't believe that Cal is at UK and Pitino at Louisville. Those guys just do nooooooot like each other. Funny how it works out.

[quote name='#22' date='13 December 2009 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1260762796' post='842162']
My folks just bought tickets to the final four. We aren't planning on seeing Duke there.
[/quote]
Did they get NIT tix last year too?
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='#22' date='14 December 2009 - 01:56 AM' timestamp='1260770181' post='842195']
:lol:

I can't wait to see how [i]this year[/i] turns out for our respective teams.
[/quote]
I can already answer that question. But lets not take shots at Duke and act like UK has been something spectacular lately.

I can't argue that Billy Clyde was a huge failure as a coach. Noone can argue that UK is on pace for an historical season. But back to railing on Duke...

Duke hasn't gotten past the Sweet 16 the last 5 years if I recall correctly even with a bevy of burger brats. They don't look to be much this year, and UK's ascendance back to its rightful place is only going to make recruiting that much harder for the Blue Devils. Coach K is also 62, and he will retire within a decade. Only Calhoun and Boeheim are older coaches currently at top-tier universities. Johnny Dawkins got tired of waiting and jumped ship, and Wojo's only at Duke as Coach K's pet on the sidelines.

The future, in short, looks a lot brighter for UK than it does for Duke, and that's the way it should be.

[quote name='#22' date='14 December 2009 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1260821635' post='842453']
I can't argue that Billy Clyde was a huge failure as a coach. Noone can argue that UK is on pace for an historical season. But back to railing on Duke...

Duke hasn't gotten past the Sweet 16 the last 5 years if I recall correctly even with a bevy of burger brats. They don't look to be much this year, and UK's ascendance back to its rightful place is only going to make recruiting that much harder for the Blue Devils. Coach K is also 62, and he will retire within a decade. Only Calhoun and Boeheim are older coaches currently at top-tier universities. Johnny Dawkins got tired of waiting and jumped ship, and Wojo's only at Duke as Coach K's pet on the sidelines.

The future, in short, looks a lot brighter for UK than it does for Duke, and that's the way it should be.
[/quote]
You act like McD's AA always pan out. A lot of times they're 100% hype. Look at Greg P and Josh McRoberts. They were hardly relevant..only a handful of good games between them.

Even with these guys that haven't panned out we still havent found our way into the NIT. Shit Kentucky couldn't even win the NIT and you want to complain about Duke not getting past the sweet 16. 30 win seasons and sweet 16's and UK is going to the NIT..really?

I guess we can agree to disagree on the future. Capel or Dawkins will be on the sidelines for us and we have a couple of recruiting classes coming in that are stellar. I'd actually say the future is looking a lot brighter for Duke..it's only a matter of time before Cal has some more allegations on his plate and runs in guns for another university.