OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

[quote name='Bunghole' date='29 March 2010 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1269881186' post='873718']
He's a great coach, but he didn't beat UK. UK beat UK.
[/quote]

:20:

A Bob Huggins team beat them convincingly. Elsewhere, a Bob Huggins-recruited team led by one of his disciples nearly made the final four as well. That's just the Power of Huggs.

Anyway, few would argue that UK had the most raw talent and potential in their team. There's a reason this is nothing more than an academic point, though. They were not the best team, they lose, they get nothing, good day sir.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='29 March 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1269882354' post='873727']
Actually WVU beat UK.
[/quote]

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' date='29 March 2010 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1269883028' post='873730']
:20:

A Bob Huggins team beat them convincingly. Elsewhere, a Bob Huggins-recruited team led by one of his disciples nearly made the final four as well. That's just the Power of Huggs.

Anyway, few would argue that UK had the most raw talent and potential in their team. There's a reason this is nothing more than an academic point, though. They were not the best team, they lose, they get nothing, good day sir.
[/quote]
On the scoreboard, yes, WVU beat UK, and they were coached by Bob Huggins.

My point, which is valid, is that UK beat themselves by the worst shooting effort by an Elite Eight team I have ever witnessed, and it actually had very little to do with Huggins, the defense, whatever.

UK had open looks along the perimeter all day...they just wouldn't fall. Same goes for the charity stripe.

I'm not bitter about it. Its just exactly how I see it. There's always next year. And unlike Bob or WVU, UK has actually won it all in recent memory.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='29 March 2010 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1269887389' post='873757']

My point, which is valid, is that UK beat themselves by the worst shooting effort by an Elite Eight team I have ever witnessed, and it actually had very little to do with Huggins, the defense, whatever.

UK had open looks along the perimeter all day...they just wouldn't fall. Same goes for the charity stripe.

I'm not bitter about it. Its just exactly how I see it. There's always next year. And unlike Bob or WVU, UK has actually won it all in recent memory.
[/quote]

Bung - this isn't pointed at you directly...

but UK lost by the exact thing I said they would because it cost them their two games during the season... outside shooting. They're just not very good - if you look at the body of work over a season. Most teams they were so over-matched that they could still win while shooting poorly from the outside. I didn't think they'd play 6 straight games and shoot well enough to win it all... the first weekend they shot very well and won handily both times. Saturday - they shot more par for their average this season, particularly behind the the arc. The better teams will make you pay and WV did.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='29 March 2010 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1269887389' post='873757']

[/quote]

:20: :20:

They clearly shot poorly - but that doesn't mean they were a superior team which gave the game away. Their inexperience is just as important a defining characteristic of the team as their talent, which is why it is foolish to call their performance in that game an abberation. It is merely typical of an inexperienced team running into the first opponent capable of biting back, and is the reason I picked them to lose.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='29 March 2010 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1269895144' post='873797']
BTW, Tory, is there a Kige Ramsey reaction to this?
[/quote]

Kige has not been seen or heard from since the game. This includes his normally-prolific facebook updates as well as the Kige Ramsey Show. Frankly, he's probably just sucking off Clay Travis trying to get a job in sports talk radio.

UK lost because they finally met a team that played great defense and UK settled for jumpers. Why? Because Calipari doesnt incorporate a lot of teamwork into his coaching. He focuses on 1 on 1 ball and thats why he gets a bunch of 1 and done players. He did the same thing at Memphis. Before the year started i told the UK fans i know that if they have an off game from a couple of their stars they will be in trouble because Calipari doesn't have the ability to adapt the gameplan because he doesnt really run an offense. That is exactly what he did at Memphis. His weakness is creating a team offense just like Huggins struggles with making a good offense. Both are damn good coaches but those weaknesses are what keep them from having titles and going into the great coaches discussion. I'm not attacking UK or WVU/UC so don't get all pissy.

And I don't want to hear about UK looking like a great team offense against Wake or Cornell because they were playing against guys who werent even in their league.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='29 March 2010 - 03:04 PM' timestamp='1269889454' post='873767']
Bung - this isn't pointed at you directly...

but UK lost by the exact thing I said they would because it cost them their two games during the season... outside shooting. They're just not very good - if you look at the body of work over a season. Most teams they were so over-matched that they could still win while shooting poorly from the outside. I didn't think they'd play 6 straight games and shoot well enough to win it all... the first weekend they shot very well and won handily both times. Saturday - they shot more par for their average this season, particularly behind the the arc. The better teams will make you pay and WV did.
[/quote]

And earlier in the thread, I agreed with you that it was their achilles heel, but...C'MON!

No matter how bad you are, you don't miss 20 3's in a row. That's just unreal. So very unlikely to ever be replicated again by a team with UK's talent level.

And as for UK "settling for jumpers", I'd hardly say they did that either, seeing as how all their 26 first-half points were in the paint. They tried 20 3's on top of that, and if they'd made just a few of those, they would have taken the lead into the half instead of being down only 2 points. They would have won the game, too. Also, WVU shot WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY above their normal 3 point percentage, particularly in the first half.

It was just one of those weird games. However, I still insist that UK beat themselves moreso than anything WVU did outside of shooting unbelievable threes by shooting SO BADLY from 3 and the free throw line.

Word around is that Cal is telling recruits that he will lose up to 8 scholly players this year. I've seen up to nine. With UK likely to land B.Knight and probably CJ Leslie, it still means it will probably be a rough year. Will that change Johns ways of recruiting?

[quote name='JC' date='01 April 2010 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1270158173' post='874564']
Word around is that Cal is telling recruits that he will lose up to 8 scholly players this year. I've seen up to nine. With UK likely to land B.Knight and probably CJ Leslie, it still means it will probably be a rough year. Will that change Johns ways of recruiting?
[/quote]

Where'd you hear that? EIGHT scholarships? Why? I don't believe that. They don't have [i]that[/i] many seniors/NBA-bound players. Maybe a few guys will transfer to smaller schools if they aren't good enough to play significant minutes at UK. Regardless, Calipari can recruit and gaps will be filled, and we'll have enough returning talent to compete.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='01 April 2010 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1270166300' post='874597']
Where'd you hear that? EIGHT scholarships? Why? I don't believe that. They don't have [i]that[/i] many seniors/NBA-bound players. Maybe a few guys will transfer to smaller schools if they aren't good enough to play significant minutes at UK. Regardless, Calipari can recruit and gaps will be filled, and we'll have enough returning talent to compete.
[/quote]
Nine players according to what Cal has been telling recruit Doron Lamb.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=141683008&mid=141683008&sid=888&style=2

[quote name='Bunghole' date='01 April 2010 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1270166300' post='874597']
[/quote]

Patterson
Wall
Cousins
Bledsoe
Perry Stevenson
Daniel Orton (yes he is said to be declaring cuz he will be a 1st round pick soley cuz of his height/potential)

That is six. Krebs and Harris are seniors are they on scholarships?

I could see Dodson and/or Liggins wanting to transfer.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='02 April 2010 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1270266190' post='874891']
I don't see Orton leaving, and Bledsoe is FAR from NBA ready.
[/quote]

He was chilling out at the McD's game, Bledsoe that is, obviously not too concerned about class. I'd say he's as good as gone.

ESPN.com news services
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Kentucky freshmen Eric Bledsoe, DeMarcus Cousins, Daniel Orton and John Wall and junior Patrick Patterson will enter their names in this year's NBA draft, the school announced in a release on Wednesday.

All five players are projected as first-round picks.
It marks the second straight season a UK player has declared early for the draft. All-American Jodie Meeks decided to forego his senior season last year to turn pro.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='07 April 2010 - 11:22 PM' timestamp='1270696952' post='875978']
That has to be a record for one and dones from one team. I'm trying to think of another team that's had more than one, there probably is a few at least, but I can't come up with them.
[/quote]
It's too hard to build a team like that and consistently have them moving in and out. The formula is just setting one up for disappointment year after year unless it's a extremely good class.