OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

I don't think what you saw was Cal's true formula. I think you'll always see him in on guys that are one and done's but there unique circumstances to take all 5 in one year.

If you believe the NBA mocks, having 5 top 20 guys in one draft just strengthens the UK brand and legend. I'll take that talent in the tourney every year and live with the results. But I doubt that will be the case every year unfortunately.

LOL, at disappointment of 35-3, Conference champs, Ranked top 5 all year, and elite 8 appearance. There's 1 program that would be disappointed with that and that's what you accept as being a UK fan.

[quote name='scharm' date='08 April 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1270753238' post='876136']
I don't think what you saw was Cal's true formula. I think you'll always see him in on guys that are one and done's but there unique circumstances to take all 5 in one year.

If you believe the NBA mocks, having 5 top 20 guys in one draft just strengthens the UK brand and legend. I'll take that talent in the tourney every year and live with the results. But I doubt that will be the case every year unfortunately.

LOL, at disappointment of 35-3, Conference champs, Ranked top 5 all year, and elite 8 appearance. There's 1 program that would be disappointed with that and that's what you accept as being a UK fan.
[/quote]
Yeah..all of that Elite 8 baby! UK should have been in Dukes spot this year. Now next year..not a chance in hell they get there.

I would say that's pretty disappointing. If you like up seasons followed by down depending on recruiting..more power to you man.

If you see what Duke did with 3 seniors and 2 juniors in there line up while rotating 2 freshman and 1 sophmore in for those guys, it shows a pretty good emphasis on upperclassmen coming back to win games. Even UNC the year before had 3 great seniors and 2 juniors in their starting line-up.

Bottom line..Cal might want to start finding some guys who like to go to class. Because John Walls and Demarcus Cousins aren't going to be coming around at the same time too often. That's if he isn't coaching the Nets next season.

[quote name='JC' date='08 April 2010 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1270755846' post='876149']
Yeah..all of that Elite 8 baby! UK should have been in Dukes spot this year. Now next year..not a chance in hell they get there.

I would say that's pretty disappointing. If you like up seasons followed by down depending on recruiting..more power to you man.

If you see what Duke did with 3 seniors and 2 juniors in there line up while rotating 2 freshman and 1 sophmore in for those guys, it shows a pretty good emphasis on upperclassmen coming back to win games. Even UNC the year before had 3 great seniors and 2 juniors in their starting line-up.

Bottom line..Cal might want to start finding some guys who like to go to class. Because John Walls and Demarcus Cousins aren't going to be coming around at the same time too often. That's if he isn't coaching the Nets next season.
[/quote]

LOL @ the "coaching the Nets" comment. Cal is a great recruiter, he'll have the best talent every year, so to a degree, that formula is sustainable.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='08 April 2010 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1270761660' post='876169']
LOL @ the "coaching the Nets" comment. Cal is a great recruiter, he'll have the best talent every year, so to a degree, that formula is sustainable.
[/quote]

why would u LOL @ the nets comment? Cal has stated he'd like to coach in the NBA again. Nets fan base wants him, Nets new owner has stated he is interested, Cal is all about the money and Nets owner will throw ridiculous money for a HC he wants, plus Cal can go to the Nets and get John Wall with the first pick and they have a chance to lure Lebron or one of the other big time FAs.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='08 April 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1270763236' post='876173']
why would u LOL @ the nets comment? Cal has stated he'd like to coach in the NBA again. Nets fan base wants him, Nets new owner has stated he is interested, Cal is all about the money and Nets owner will throw ridiculous money for a HC he wants, plus Cal can go to the Nets and get John Wall with the first pick and they have a chance to lure Lebron or one of the other big time FAs.
[/quote]

I just can't envision Cal bolting for the NBA after one year at UK.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='08 April 2010 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1270765244' post='876175']
I just can't envision Cal bolting for the NBA after one year at UK.
[/quote]
I honestly can't either.

But with the 10+ mil he could reciever plus John Wall and maybe Lebron James..you never know. If Cal goes to NJ and Jay-Z has partial ownership..LeBron could be on the way.

Interesting.

[quote name='JC' date='08 April 2010 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1270755846' post='876149']

[/quote]

Whatever. The dude has coached two different programs to the final 4. They weren't even top programs. This time last year they were just coming off a NIT birth.

This season was nothing short of amazing. Now UK is going to dominate the NBA draft and they'll land the top class this year and next year.

Cal is hanging no. 8 in Lexington it is just a matter of time.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='08 April 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1270763236' post='876173']
[/quote]

Cal will eventually leave UK after he cements his legacy by hanging a national championship.

[quote name='scharm' date='08 April 2010 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1270772483' post='876211']
Whatever. The dude has coached two different programs to the final 4. They weren't even top programs. This time last year they were just coming off a NIT birth.

This season was nothing short of amazing. Now UK is going to dominate the NBA draft and they'll land the top class this year and next year.

Cal is hanging no. 8 in Lexington it is just a matter of time.
[/quote]
First. Those final fours have been vacated.

This season was good..sure. Are you more worried about UK dominating the college game or the NBA?

Good luck on #8. Not happening next yar.

[quote name='scharm' date='08 April 2010 - 07:26 PM' timestamp='1270772778' post='876213']
Cal will eventually leave UK after he cements his legacy by hanging a national championship.
[/quote]

he said that at memphis and it didnt happen. i dont see it happening at UK either. he will bail before then unless he changes his philosophy.

[quote name='JC' date='08 April 2010 - 09:17 PM' timestamp='1270775877' post='876223']
First. Those final fours have been vacated.

This season was good..sure. Are you more worried about UK dominating the college game or the NBA?

Good luck on #8. Not happening next yar.
[/quote]

I don't worry about UK dominating the college game because they are a top program and spent plenty time at the top. With Cal I guess I will have to deal with multiple future NBA players as well. Horrible.

Rival programs loved Tubby at UK and now I'm supposed to think Cal's system is going to be bad? Right.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='08 April 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1270776694' post='876229']
he said that at memphis and it didnt happen. i dont see it happening at UK either. he will bail before then unless he changes his philosophy.
[/quote]

Right because Memphis was always a powerhouse program prior to Cal. Rival programs hope he leaves UK soon, I wonder why that is.

[quote name='scharm' date='08 April 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1270777826' post='876244']
I don't worry about UK dominating the college game because they are a top program and spent plenty time at the top. With Cal I guess I will have to deal with multiple future NBA players as well. Horrible.

Rival programs loved Tubby at UK and now I'm supposed to think Cal's system is going to be bad? Right.
[/quote]
Name me the last program that had four freshman starters that won a NC.

You probably have to go all the way back to the fab five. The way Cal rotates his players in and out isn't going to work and hasn't for years.

At least Tubby won a NC. Cal will be lucky to get to the sweet 16 next year if all five starters leave.

[quote name='JC' date='08 April 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1270778298' post='876247']

You probably have to go all the way back to the fab five. The way Cal rotates his players in and out isn't going to work and hasn't for years.

At least Tubby won a NC. Cal will be lucky to get to the sweet 16 next year if all five starters leave.
[/quote]

I don't think the Fab 5 won a NC. Who cares? The ruling making one and dones a reality has only been in place for a short time and there are very few applicable examples and a small sample size.

If the rule making one and dones a reality remains. Cal is always going to get UK more than their fair share of those players. I like his chances.

Tubby did win a NC. Tubby also had them on the fast track to bubble NCAA team in his final years. Rival fans had no problem with UK in that spot and now UK fans are supposed to listen and believe rival fans when they preach the evils of Cal's system? Get real.

UK will be loaded again very shortly. Show up as preseason top 15 and then get busy on the court. They'll win, they have NBA talent, they'll have top seeds. Now I don't see a whole lot of bad in that situation as it relates to winning a NC.

[quote name='JC' date='08 April 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1270778298' post='876247']

[/quote]

WTF? Tubby won that NC because he inherited Pitino's leftovers moreso than his coaching genius.

[quote name='JC' date='14 April 2010 - 10:54 AM' timestamp='1271256898' post='877634']
Gonna be a pretty good day for UK BBall fans come 4 o'clock.
[/quote]

Yup, replaced one stellar PG in Wall with another in Brandon Knight, the #1 overall high school player in the country, and also have Enes Kanter, a Turkish 6-10 big man to replace Cousins. Sweet!

[quote name='Bunghole' date='14 April 2010 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1271284142' post='877780']
Yup, replaced one stellar PG in Wall with another in Brandon Knight, the #1 overall high school player in the country, and also have Enes Kanter, a Turkish 6-10 big man to replace Cousins. Sweet!
[/quote]
Yeah. Knights a baller. And very smart. Gilchrist is ranked high too, but I've never been to impressed with him.

[quote name='scharm' date='15 April 2010 - 08:50 AM' timestamp='1271335813' post='877867']
Kentucky fans should be more realistic with Tubby. College basketball has changed, it is unrealistic to expect a coach to bring in top talent every year.

Signed,

UK's rivals that enjoyed the mid major rosters they once had.
[/quote]
Is anyone really that scared of a team with 5 freshman every year..that have no interest of playing with each other, rather wanting to showcase their skills for the NBA?

[quote name='JC' date='15 April 2010 - 10:28 AM' timestamp='1271341703' post='877903']
Is anyone really that scared of a team with 5 freshman every year..that have no interest of playing with each other, rather wanting to showcase their skills for the NBA?
[/quote]

One, that's an overstatement. UK's squad will always have vets and key role players. Two...well, UK was one bad game away from the Final Four. They played very well all year and only lost 2 regular season games. They were a #1 seed for a reason.

Also, I didn't sense any lack of team chemistry from UK last year. Just because a player knows he's going to leave after a year or two doesn't mean he can't be a good teammate while he's there.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='15 April 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1271343019' post='877909']
One, that's an overstatement. UK's squad will always have vets and key role players. Two...well, UK was one bad game away from the Final Four. They played very well all year and only lost 2 regular season games. They were a #1 seed for a reason.

Also, I didn't sense any lack of team chemistry from UK last year. Just because a player knows he's going to leave after a year or two doesn't mean he can't be a good teammate while he's there.
[/quote]
I think you can depend on at least 3 new starters a year at UK. They just signed two one and dones in B.Knight and Gilchrist and C.J. Leslie is coming along and will probably be gone after this year. If Kantar is as good as advertised, likely gone. Doron Lamb if he goes could be gone after this year.

I just don't see how you can win it all in college basketball without some continuity. Cal's gonna get his kids, but the thing is, he is going to lose them just like that. He needs to start mixing in some role players, the four year guys, with the 1 and 2 year kids and he could really win a few. But until that happens, if there is a weak year for kids, UK could be dicked.

[quote name='JC' date='15 April 2010 - 10:28 AM' timestamp='1271341703' post='877903']
[/quote]

You think other SEC schools are building trophy cases with this going on? You think UNC and Duke enjoy Kentucky waltzing in North Carolina and take the No. 1 player that is in their back yard (John Wall). You think IU and Crean (although they are used to it by now) are happy that top highschool Indiana talent is leaving?

Your above statement is respresentative of the spin job from other programs. Sure UNC, IU, UL, Duke and their fans will spin whatever they need to tell themselves, but I'm sure they'd love to have Tubby back at UK so they would have one less power school to fight off for top talent.

[quote name='scharm' date='15 April 2010 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1271354240' post='877977']
You think other SEC schools are building trophy cases with this going on? You think UNC and Duke enjoy Kentucky waltzing in North Carolina and take the No. 1 player that is in their back yard (John Wall). You think IU and Crean (although they are used to it by now) are happy that top highschool Indiana talent is leaving?

Your above statement is respresentative of the spin job from other programs. Sure UNC, IU, UL, Duke and their fans will spin whatever they need to tell themselves, but I'm sure they'd love to have Tubby back at UK so they would have one less power school to fight off for top talent.
[/quote]
Duke doesn't care who is at UK. They're National Champions this year and are reloading for next year while stealing a player whose godfather is Rod Strickland. You might know him. Yeah, UK got John Wall, but do you really think John Wall was even considering UK before Cal went there? No. UNC had limited interest in him and Duke got into the game late because Gerald Henderson left. Obviously, they didn't even need him.

Duke rarely ever goes after one and dones anyways, so why would I or Duke care who Cal's getting. He isn't stealing anyone from us as you can see with Kyrie Irving. I'm just saying UK is going to have a hard time winning a national championship rotating freshman in and out every year. You know it's true too, or you wouldn't try to spin it the way you're.

So go ahead and enjoy the Sweet 16's and SEC championships. Most fans want NC's and if Cal was smart he would start getting some players to stay for a few years or some three point shooters to help when B.Knight is getting buckets.