Quoth the Raven .... Nevermore

Guest BlackJesus

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='427888' date='Jan 16 2007, 03:20 PM']Now joking aside, does it bother you steeler fans that your bragging rights are taken away with that? You guys must want to kill Jim Haslet for admitting that.[/quote]

You have to be kidding right. Did some steeler players use steroids, probably. Did a ton of other players in the nfl use steroids??? probably. Whats your point? Hell if we will more SB's, I say let em all shoot up.

[quote name='CinciNC' post='427902' date='Jan 16 2007, 02:39 PM']You have to be kidding right. Did some steeler players use steroids, probably. Did a ton of other players in the nfl use steroids??? probably. Whats your point? Hell if we will more SB's, I say let em all shoot up.[/quote]

The point is it enhances the capeabilites of those players and is pretty much cheating.

Plus you already have the side effects of small nuts and you didnt even use them. (Or at least thats what Aries1247 from steeler nation told me)

Also there is no "probabally" about it. From your own Post-gazette.

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05086/478215.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05086/478215.stm[/url]

[quote]Cook: '70s Steelers are guilty like Bonds
Sunday, March 27, 2005

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's so easy to look at Barry Bonds as a fraud. We don't like him. We never liked him, going back to his first season with the Pirates in 1986. We don't want to believe he hit those 73 home runs legitimately or that he'll ever be the true home run king no matter how many more home runs he hits than Babe Ruth and Henry Aaron. It has to be the steroids.

But it's a lot harder to come down on the Super Steelers. They were our heroes. They won four Super Bowls. They made us proud. It wasn't the steroids. It was all talent and hard work. That's our story and we're sticking to it.

You know what?

[size=5]We're hypocritical as heck. [/size]

Bonds and the Steelers of the 1970s became uncomfortably linked last week when New Orleans Saints coach, former NFL player and Avalon native Jim Haslett shared his thoughts on steroids use with the Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette. Haslett admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs when he played and estimated that 50 percent of the NFL players in the 1980s -- including all of the linemen -- were users. He also said he believed the rampant use of steroids started with the Steelers of the 1970s, a contention that instantly made him something of a pariah in his hometown. The backlash was so sudden and so acute that Haslett felt the need to apologize the next day for mentioning the Steelers.

How sad.

The man merely spoke what he believed to be the truth.

For the most part, he was right.

Steroids use in the NFL didn't start with the Steelers. It was around for more than a decade before they won their first Super Bowl after the 1974 season. But there's little doubt the success of those Steelers teams helped to popularize performance-enhancing drugs. Haslett wasn't wrong about that.

It's understandable why Dan Rooney, who went so far as to question Haslett's sanity, wants to protect the Steelers' legacy [color="#FF0000"](Sorry Dan, its too late for that)[/color]. For the same reasons, he wants you to believe the NFL's current steroids-testing plan is an enormous success even though the experts will tell you the players always have and always will find a way to beat the system because their chemists are one step ahead of the league's testers. It makes it easier to sleep at night. Steroids make everyone feel so dirty, especially now that they are under so much scrutiny because of Bonds and Mark McGwire.

[size=3]But not even Rooney, probably the most powerful and respected man in the NFL this side of Paul Tagliabue, can rewrite history.[/size]

Go to one of the old book stores. See if you can find Steve Courson's "False Glory," published in 1991. It was a fascinating read then and is even more fascinating now. Courson, who played for the Steelers from 1977-83, detailed his and his teammates' steroids use.

If you're looking for another Jose Canseco tell-all book, you're going to be disappointed. Courson did not name names. He didn't out teammates the way Canseco did to McGwire. The purpose of his book wasn't so much to make money as it was to shine a light on a long-standing NFL problem and maybe, in the process, educate a few young athletes about steroids. He had made national headlines six years earlier by admitting his steroid use to Sports Illustrated.

Courson exonerated the Steelers' defensive linemen -- "In those days, few defensive linemen did [steroids]," he wrote -- which is why L.C. Greenwood could go on a national radio show the other day and say, with good conscience, that Haslett's assertion was the damnedest thing he ever heard.

But Courson wrote that 75 percent of the Steelers' offensive linemen took steroids at one time or another and would sit around as a group discussing their usage the way other men might discuss their wife or girlfriend, a night at the bar or a good hunting trip.

"Disgruntled players throughout the league called us the 'Steroid Team,' as if performance-enhancing drugs were the sole reason for our success," Courson wrote, adding how maniacal the Steelers' linemen were in the weight room.

"The fact is, our [steroids] usage was the same -- give or take -- as most of the NFL teams at that time."

Rooney's contention the Steelers didn't have a steroids problem because Chuck Noll preached against their usage is almost laughable if you believe Courson's book.

"Chuck never encouraged steroid use on the Steelers, but he conveniently and most definitely turned his head to it," Courson wrote. He cited an example of Noll calling him out in front of the team and screaming -- "All you want to do is body-build and take steroids!" -- after his hamstring was pulled in training camp in 1983. "That was a full two years before I admitted my steroid usage in Sports Illustrated," Courson added. "Evidently, [Noll] was not as blind or ignorant of the steroid issue as he would have the politicians and public believe."

If that's true, that doesn't make Noll a bad guy. It just makes him the same as any other coach who isn't against an edge that might help his team win a championship. It also makes him the same as the baseball owners who really didn't want to hear about steroids as Bonds, McGwire and Sammy Sosa were hitting home runs and bringing fans to the ballparks.

Sadly, it also leaves us with a conclusion we'd just rather not face:

[size=4]If Bonds' achievements are tainted in any way by steroids, then so are the Super Steelers' triumphs.[/size]

We can't have it both ways.[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='427907' date='Jan 16 2007, 03:50 PM']Also there is no "probabally" about it. From your own Post-gazette.

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05086/478215.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05086/478215.stm[/url][/quote]

Ron cook is a douche that was hired to stir things up. Even still it is one guys opinion. Because he writes for a newspaper makes him no more an authority as say howard stern. Five Lombardi's hahahahahahahaha..
HOW MANY DO THE BENGALS HAVE???????

[quote name='CinciNC' post='427966' date='Jan 16 2007, 03:53 PM']Ron cook is a douche that was hired to stir things up. Even still it is one guys opinion. Because he writes for a newspaper makes him no more an authority as say howard stern. Five Lombardi's hahahahahahahaha..
HOW MANY DO THE BENGALS HAVE???????[/quote]

No it's pretty much everyone who isnt wearing black and yellow glasses' opinions.

But hey keep believeing that if it makes you feel better.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='427968' date='Jan 16 2007, 04:54 PM']No it's pretty much everyone who isnt wearing black and yellow glasses' opinions.

But hey keep believeing that if it makes you feel better.[/quote]

Actually I only hear it from bitter bengay fans, some brownie, and haven't yet run into any ravy fans.

(5) Super Bowls

[quote name='CinciNC' post='427977' date='Jan 16 2007, 04:02 PM']Actually I only hear it from bitter bengay fans, some brownie, and haven't yet run into any ravy fans.

(5) Super Bowls[/quote]

So how do you communicate with your head stuck up your ass anyway?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='428020' date='Jan 16 2007, 06:27 PM']The lamest of the lame...[/quote]

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a pghburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

[quote name='CinciNC' post='428023' date='Jan 16 2007, 05:30 PM']If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a pissburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --[/quote]

No one ever accused him of being the brightest lightbulb did they?

[quote name='CinciNC' post='428050' date='Jan 16 2007, 06:16 PM']Nope, just the biggest badass ever to play linebacker in the NFL.[/quote]

Was he as big a badass as you.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

That sig PP has still cracks me up.

[quote]Jamie, jamie, jammie, are you a chick??? You have a chick name. Whats its like to spread you legs for satisfaction?\[/quote]

Smack of a stealers fan... :rolleyes:

I guess thats what comes around when you lose to the Raiders..

[quote name='CinciNC' post='428163' date='Jan 16 2007, 09:41 PM']Wish the bengays would [b]win[/b] one dont't ya???[/quote]

Yes I wish they would [b]WIN[/b] one instead of stealing :pointlaff: one...

Four Steroid induced superbowls and 1 poorly called one !!! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='428061' date='Jan 16 2007, 06:30 PM']Was he as big a badass as you.
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

That sig PP has still cracks me up.[/quote]

That's classic, but there was a better post IMO where he said "I'm real cool!". Or something like that.

[quote name='Hooky' post='428423' date='Jan 17 2007, 11:22 AM']That's classic, but there was a better post IMO where he said "I'm real cool!". Or something like that.[/quote]

dude, i am really cool. You should have seen this really cool thing that I did just last week. :bowdown:

Archived