Latest Rumor - Marvin to Dallas

[b]Marvin to Cowboys?
Profootballtalk.com
Though we've not recently heard this one on the NFL grapevine, there was talk in the past that Bengals coach Marvin Lewis could be a candidate to replace Bill Parcells, once Parcells packed it in.
With Parcells retiring on the same day that news broke of a ninth Bengals arrest, could the planets be lining up for Marvin to make an exit from Cincinnati?
Though we're not suggesting that the Bengals are trying to push him out the door via, for example, the publication on the franchise's web site of comments from quarterback Carson Palmer that implicitly and indirectly throw rocks at Marvin for the presence and performance of turds on the team, we think that maybe, just maybe, the powers-that-be in Cincy would be inclined to let Marvin go for a bag full of money and a draft pick or two (or just a bag full of money) if Dallas owner Jerry Jones were inclined to inquire.
Then again, maybe Jones won't want him. While guys like defensive tackle John Thornton (whom he like and respect) say, "I don't see what else Marvin can do," the answer isn't what he can do going forward, it's what he could have done when drafting and signing the players who are now embarrassing themselves and the organization.[/b]

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='432163' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:14 AM'][b]Marvin to Cowboys?
Profootballtalk.com
Though we've not recently heard this one on the NFL grapevine, there was talk in the past that Bengals coach Marvin Lewis could be a candidate to replace Bill Parcells, once Parcells packed it in.
With Parcells retiring on the same day that news broke of a ninth Bengals arrest, could the planets be lining up for Marvin to make an exit from Cincinnati?
Though we're not suggesting that the Bengals are trying to push him out the door via, for example, the publication on the franchise's web site of comments from quarterback Carson Palmer that implicitly and indirectly throw rocks at Marvin for the presence and performance of turds on the team, we think that maybe, just maybe, the powers-that-be in Cincy would be inclined to let Marvin go for a bag full of money and a draft pick or two (or just a bag full of money) if Dallas owner Jerry Jones were inclined to inquire.
Then again, maybe Jones won't want him. While guys like defensive tackle John Thornton (whom he like and respect) say, "I don't see what else Marvin can do," the answer isn't what he can do going forward, it's what he could have done when drafting and signing the players who are now embarrassing themselves and the organization.[/b][/quote]

Give me this years first and next years first, and promise me that Brat won't be our head coach and he's all thiers.

We have enough talent on this team no matter who our head coach is... to add an additional 2 first rounders, I'll take it.

Marvin obivously doesn't have very good control of this team.

I don't think this is true... he seems to like Cincinnati, but who knows?

What if Chuck B got the head coaching job if Marvin did leave??? I would puke.

[quote name='Tigris' post='432173' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:24 AM']Marvin obivously doesn't have very good control of this team.

I don't think this is true... he seems to like Cincinnati, but who knows?

What if Chuck B got the head coaching job if Marvin did leave??? I would puke.[/quote]
[b]He has drafted players with questionable backgrounds and it has not worked out. He has to be very very carefule about not doing this in the future. It has backfired on us big time...I believe that it has set us back another year at least..[/b]

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='432177' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:28 AM']:HAPPY DESTROY:[/quote]

I stand corrected.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='432176' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:28 AM']Man... the more I think about this, if we could get first round picks I would LOVE it. Marvin has done a great job turning this franchise around, but we have the talent in place to take any coach to the SB. Give us more talent with some draft picks and DAMN[/quote]

Do you really think we would get even one first round pick for Marvin? A third round pick is about the most we would get. The Jets got a fourth-rounder for Herm Edwards last year.

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='432178' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:30 AM']I stand corrected.
Do you really think we would get even one first round pick for Marvin? A third round pick is about the most we would get. The Jets got a fourth-rounder for Herm Edwards last year.[/quote]
[b]I believe that Marvin stays here and wins a Super Bowl with us. He is the face of the franchise and the one who turned out program around. Who would we get to repalce him if he left?. [/b]

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='432167' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:22 AM']Give me this years first and next years first, and promise me that Brat won't be our head coach and he's all thiers.
We have enough talent on this team no matter who our head coach is... to add an additional 2 first rounders, I'll take it.[/quote]

Problem with that is there is no one left out there to take his place.

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='432178' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:30 AM']I stand corrected.
Do you really think we would get even one first round pick for Marvin? A third round pick is about the most we would get. The Jets got a fourth-rounder for Herm Edwards last year.[/quote]

What did Oakland get for Gruden? Didn't they get a first?

ANd the Jets only got a fourth? hmm...

Regardless, Marvin is worth more than a fourth round pick. I think everyone know Herm wanted to go to KC and NY didnt want Herm anymore anyways and it was more of just a courtesy pick... I think Mikey wouldn't part ways with Marv unless it was for some higher first day picks

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='432183' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:34 AM']Problem with that is there is no one left out there to take his place.[/quote]

There are plenty of college coaches out there and many coordinators. Problem is, if Marv left, I'm sure we would have Brat as our head coach, which could actually work out for the best because then Zampese would be OC and Brat would bring in a different DC

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='432183' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:34 AM']Problem with that is there is no one left out there to take his place.[/quote]
[b]In Dallas Jerry Jones runs the show..He wants to much input into what goes on with the team(ie..TO signing). I do not think MArvin would coach for him but $$$ talks so you never know...[/b]

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='432185' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:36 AM']Well shit, I forgot about that.

Either way, there's no way we get two firsts. Would you do it for one first (say this year's)?[/quote]

Oakland got 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks and 8 million dollars for Gruden. Insane!

Yes, I would trade Marvin for one first and one second in this years draft. Marv did his job in turning the mentality of this franchise around. We are 2 or 3 playmakers away on D from dominating. I guess I put more stock into players play than coaches coaching, but as of now, I think our playmakers make our coaches and our coaches (as we've seen with our gameplanning) do not make our players.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='432190' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:41 AM']Let's get rid of Marvin, get a pick or two. Hire Ryan and move Zamo to OC.[/quote]

Which Ryan do you mean? Rob (Raiders DC) or Rex (Ravens DC)?

In this hypothetical situation I would like the choice of Rob Ryan, he's probably pissed off that Al Davis didn't promote him and instead went and hired some 31 year old coordinator from USC to be the new head coach. Doesn't make you feel very good, especially after you turned around a team's defense.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='432193' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:42 AM']Oakland got 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks and 8 million dollars for Gruden. Insane![/quote]

Holy shit. I think Marvin's a good coach and will be able to improve and take this team to a Super Bowl in the near future. but if we got that kind of a deal it's see you later. I didn't know HCs got that much compensation.

And I think Jerry Jones is the kind of owner who would pull the trigger on that kind of deal (though probably not as much of one) if he thought Marvin could lead his team to the promised land.

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='432178' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:30 AM']Do you really think we would get even one first round pick for Marvin? A third round pick is about the most we would get. The Jets got a fourth-rounder for Herm Edwards last year.[/quote]

[quote]Herm Edwards is a goner, his departure to Kansas City all but sealed yesterday with the announcement that the Jets and Chiefs finally had agreed on compensation. After three days of discussions, the Jets let Edwards walk for only a fourth-round pick in 2006 - the lowest compensation package ever negotiated for a head coach[/quote]

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='432204' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:49 AM']So you wouldn't give Marvin to Dallas for high first day draft picks?[/quote]
Jan. 23, [b]2007) -- The NFL's last coaching search this offseason will be its most scrutinized -- the one that will garner the most attention.

NFL Network video

Adam Schefter on coaching moves around the NFL.

Video: 56k | 300k

One reason is that the five other positions already have been filled; there are no other interview processes to track. But the one team to track also is the Dallas Cowboys, one of the marquee franchises in sports.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones kicked off the process with his version of a squib kick, interviewing three in-house candidates.

Jones met with secondary coach Todd Bowles, whom Dallas would like to retain on its new staff; wide receivers/passing game Todd Haley, who also is in demand as the offensive coordinator in Arizona; and assistant head coach/offensive line Tony Sparano, who is said to be the most qualified candidate for the job.

Jerry Jones is a hands-on owner and needs a coach he can work closely with.
None of the candidates is considered a favorite, but Jones is getting a feel for them as much as he is the process.

Now, once Jones is in Mobile, Ala., the real intriguing work should begin. Jones' search is expected to span from the college game to the pros, and it is likely to include candidates stooped in Cowboys tradition.

Jones has pondered the idea of talking with Chicago Bears quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, who played in Dallas from 1995-97 and coached there from 2000-02. But Jones will have to wait until after the Super Bowl.

Jones also has been an admirer of San Francisco offensive coordinator Norv Turner, who coached in Dallas during the halcyon days of 1991-93.

But maybe the most intriguing thought involves former Cowboys quarterback Jason Garrett. Jones has contemplated pairing San Diego defensive coordinator Wade Phillips with Garrett as his offensive coordinator/head coach in training. Each would bring an intangible Jones desires. Phillips is a master of the 3-4 defense that Jones wants to run; Garrett is a bright, young offensive mind who has the support of Jones and former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman.

Some around the league said that they expect Jones to look into interviewing Arkansas coach Houston Nutt and Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops. But Jones is the man at the center of the search, standing in the spotlight. The longer the search goes on, the hotter the spotlight will become. [/b]

Archived