** ANYONE GOT VISTA YET? **

well its been done for a while now, installed and working, lost no files, etc.. it looks cool of course, no lag so far, no hesitation at all, the display driver "dropped" twice when it first booted, but it auto detected my dual monitors, extended desktop and all previous settings and recovered within about 5-7 seconds on its own. so far im enjoying it, i will report back in a few days once i have had more time with it...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='434941' date='Jan 30 2007, 11:11 PM']well its been done for a while now, installed and working, lost no files, etc.. it looks cool of course, no lag so far, no hesitation at all, the display driver "dropped" twice when it first booted, but it auto detected my dual monitors, extended desktop and all previous settings and recovered within about 5-7 seconds on its own. so far im enjoying it, i will report back in a few days once i have had more time with it...[/quote]

So you did an "upgrade" from XP, intead of a clean install?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='434777' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:43 PM']i went with the 32 bit version. as i read nightmare stories of software not approved by microsoft not workin at all on the 64 bit version. and i think the only microsoft approved software i have is adobe.. woulda been nice to get the added boost from the 64 bit version tho... from what i can tell i can always upgrade for a minimal charge later on..
yikes...

1996 called, they want your computer and parachute pants back...[/quote]
You were still wearing parachute pants in '96? And you're accusing him of being behind the times?

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='435432' date='Jan 31 2007, 07:41 PM']You were still wearing parachute pants in '96? And you're accusing him of being behind the times?[/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

[quote name='Ben' post='435029' date='Jan 31 2007, 09:20 AM']So you did an "upgrade" from XP, intead of a clean install?[/quote]
correct, i didnt want to have to re-install 75 programs and all my files again, as i just did it 3 months ago when i got this machine. it worked flawlessly, tho it gave a few scares, at several points it turns off the monitors and keeps upgrading, i didnt know whether to reboot or let it ride, so i let it ride, 5-10 minutes later the monitrs came back on and it was 25% further along.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='435432' date='Jan 31 2007, 07:41 PM']You were still wearing parachute pants in '96? And you're accusing him of being behind the times?[/quote]

:thumbsup:

the older of my two 20" widescreen lcd's doesnt seem to want to work as windows assigned it the generic non PnP driver... still trying to find the driver from dell... bastards...

i enjoy that media center is built in tho... saved me the hassle of using ATI's mustimedia products...

Running Home premium on one of my systems, done a clean install and all is running smooth. Got it hooked up to a 23" LCD TV with no problems.

Got one of the $15.99 2GB USB drives from microcenter to use with ram boost.

Waiting one my free home premium for my other dell and for microsoft to send me my action pack with business to load on my laptop and other systems.

im using vista right now on my familys new laptop and personally i hate it.... all the security features may help but they're very annoying, i think i was fine with the security features on XP. also unless your an administrater on the computer (which im not on mine) your pretty much screwed, you have to have the admin password for anything that you want to update or download and my step dad is a jackass and won't give me his password or make me an admin, which i find pretty stupid becuase im the only person in my family who knows anything about computers.

also whenever i try to right click on a picture and put as background and internet explorer error comes up that says im not alloud to do that, does anyone know why this is?

[quote name='tracenuts' post='440944' date='Feb 13 2007, 08:32 PM']also whenever i try to right click on a picture and put as background and internet explorer error comes up that says im not alloud to do that, does anyone know why this is?[/quote]

It's like that due to a number of security vulnerabilities in Windows that were hidden in image files; open the file, release the virus (or trojan, of rootkit, etc).

In real life, a picture is worth a thousand words.

In Windows, its worth a thousand viruses...

[img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/carniverousmidget/xp_suck_more.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Elflocko' post='440948' date='Feb 13 2007, 08:39 PM']It's like that due to a number of security vulnerabilities in Windows that were hidden in image files; open the file, release the virus (or trojan, of rootkit, etc).

[img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/carniverousmidget/xp_suck_more.jpg[/img][/quote]

:rolleyes:

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='434790' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:51 PM']My copy of Vista should be coming in the mail anytime. I bought a new laptop from Best Buy a few weeks ago, and they told me they'd ship me Vista when it came out. All I had to do was send in the registration, which I did. If I don't see it in the next week or two, I'll call and bitch. :contract:
In the meantime, how is it? Is it good/bad/whatever? I'm just kinda curious about any personal experience with it. Admittedly, I haven't done a lot of reading up on it just yet.[/quote]

i work for bestbuy and you will def. get your copy... dont waste your time bitching at Bestbuy though, they will tell you to call Microsoft.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='440948' date='Feb 13 2007, 08:39 PM']It's like that due to a number of security vulnerabilities in Windows that were hidden in image files; open the file, release the virus (or trojan, of rootkit, etc).

[img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/carniverousmidget/xp_suck_more.jpg[/img][/quote]

yeah after i posted that i tried it again and i guess it works now.... so i dunno why it wouldn't work before.

[quote name='tracenuts' post='441350' date='Feb 14 2007, 09:26 PM']yeah after i posted that i tried it again and i guess it works now.... so i dunno why it wouldn't work before.[/quote]

you can adjust what it alerts you over in the control panel. set your security whatever you want.

Okay, this is a quiestion for anyone that used the upgrade option (go,etc.)

Did you have any problems with the upgrade? Anything that got messed up? Missing any programs/ I'm running few different things like eprompter, avg, etc. Think I'll have to reinstall them at all? If I don't pick up a different machine, I was thinking about upgrading this because I'd get a student pricing on vista home premium). I know I didn't have problems running them on the beta so I'm not worried about compatability.

Yeah, I know I said I was going to wait, but it is hard to pass up cheap software.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='441707' date='Feb 15 2007, 04:51 PM']Okay, this is a quiestion for anyone that used the upgrade option (go,etc.)

Did you have any problems with the upgrade? Anything that got messed up? Missing any programs/ I'm running few different things like eprompter, avg, etc. Think I'll have to reinstall them at all? If I don't pick up a different machine, I was thinking about upgrading this because I'd get a student pricing on vista home premium). I know I didn't have problems running them on the beta so I'm not worried about compatability.

Yeah, I know I said I was going to wait, but it is hard to pass up cheap software.[/quote]

a few, several programs I had to re-register, as the upgrade forced them to resend register info, and the default security BS keeps it from sharing info automatically. u had to adjust one of the security settings and everything is perfect. the only issue i really had was with Cuteftp pro...

welllll i finally got fucked in the ass by vista...

i have th all in wonder PCI-e x1900 the display drivers work but no video capture ot tv tuner drivers, (like AMD cares about supporting old ati products anymore) so i guess amd fucked me... but vista doesnt work with the card, so i can only do single monitor with it, so it appears im going to go with sepereate capture cards and video cards...

LAME...

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='441315' date='Feb 14 2007, 07:37 PM']i work for bestbuy and you will def. get your copy... dont waste your time bitching at Bestbuy though, they will tell you to call Microsoft.[/quote]
[url="http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070216-8861.html"]http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070216-8861.html[/url]

[quote]Vista "Express Upgrade" anything but express

2/16/2007 8:07:36 AM, by Ken Fisher

When news hit of Windows Vista's final major delay, OEMs were depressed. Several contacts in the industry told me that not having Vista on PCs in time for Christmas was a major disappointment. Big surprise. For all of the negative press Vista was sure to garner, it still would drive PC sales.

Many OEMs adopted Microsoft's "Express Upgrade" plan, offering holiday shoppers the option of getting an upgrade to Vista for little or no additional cost. If you purchased a new PC with Windows XP after October 26, chances are you're entitled to a free or discounted upgrade, depending on the deal the OEM offered.

But as the January 30 launch date came and went, customers waiting for their Express Upgrade have found that there's nothing "express" about it. Some two weeks after launch, few—if any—customers have received their upgrades from major OEMs, despite the fact that you can walk into any retail computer store and pick one up right off the shelves. What gives?

Dell cited initial customer demand and server problems for part of their own delays, but now that everything is working, the company is still saying that Express Upgrades will not ship before the end of the month. Furthermore, the company states that orders are filled on a first-come/first-served basis, so some users have longer waits in store. Indeed, the company is warning users that shipping itself may take 6-8 weeks.

Things aren't better at HP, where the company web site says that Express Upgrade kits ship "within 6-8 weeks" of the Vista launch. Readers on the waitng list have said that they are receiving shipping notifications telling them to expect their upgrades in the middle of April, almost eight weeks from today. Ars contacted HP for a response, and a spokesperson told us that "HP is working on an aggressive schedule with the fulfillment vendor and the software product supplier to deliver customer upgrades as quickly as possible." According to HP, the first upgrades would be sent out later this month.

So what's the real cause of the delay? On the record, everyone I've talked to has depicted the issue as one of order fulfillment. Off the record, the matter is more complex. One source at a major OEM who spoke with me on condition of anonymity said that the real issue is that OEMs are still not sure which PCs are really ready to support Vista, and which PCs aren't.

Here's the rub: customers who qualify for an Express Upgrade also qualify for OEM support for Windows Vista, even if their machines came with Windows XP. The last thing a Dell, Gateway, or HP wants to do is start sending out upgrades to customers who might have video cards that do not have particularly stable drivers yet (or sound cards, or RAID controllers, etc.). This could be a support disaster. So the delays appear to be driven, in part, by OEM efforts to essentially whitelist hardware components and configurations, which becomes a matter of testing.

This is probably cold comfort to customers eager to see their Express Upgrade, but as someone who has been wrestling with GeForce 8800 GTX problems in Vista all week, I can tell you that the wait will probably obviate a lot of anxiety for users.[/quote]

Archived