Get Strahan here now!

“Cincinnati was a team where before you would go, ‘I don’t want to go to Cincinnati.’[b] Now I’d play in Cincinnati in a heart beat,[/b]” Strahan said. “(Lewis’ rep) hasn’t been hurt at all. We’ve all been on teams where crap has happened. As a coach you can’t be with somebody 24, 7. Guys make their decisions and they have to live with those decisions. I don’t think anybody looks at it that way. I know as a player I respect Marvin and everybody that has played for Marvin respects Marvin. [b]I’d play for Marvin in a heartbeat[/b].”

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5872"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5872[/url]

When is he gonna be a free agent? I would love to have him on the team...

As few as two or three years ago, he would have been the best defensive end in the league. Now, he's injury-prone and just a shell of his former self. Then again, some players like him do work out. I mean, Rodney Harrison was supposed to be washed up too, and he's done pretty well for the Pats I'd say.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='436619' date='Feb 3 2007, 08:51 PM']When is he gonna be a free agent? I would love to have him on the team...[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he's a free agent come March. Not sure if he is restricted or not though.

Guest oldschooler
He`s 35 years old right now.
And he`s signed through 2008. (He is slated to make $4 million in base salary the next 2 seasons.)

[url="http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=19944"]http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlaye...h.aspx?id=19944[/url]

But it`s good to hear a big name player talk about Marvin like that...

Hell if he wants to take a discount and come play for the team...lets get it. Better then Frostee in there with no expirence or overpaying for Justin Smith. Would be a good way to groom some players as well as Strahan getting good QB pressure every once in awhile.

:meatwad:

Guest Whodey420

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='436629' date='Feb 3 2007, 09:35 PM']I'm pretty sure he's a free agent come March. Not sure if he is restricted or not though.[/quote]

Not sure if he is restricted or not though? Wow how many weeks ago did you start
following football?

:ninja:

It's a nice sound bite, as far as speculating on whether Marvin can sign a big FA. But it has nothing to do with Strahan actually coming to the Bengals.

Yet another example of an offseason thread being the equivalent of hell on earth.

The draft cannot come soon enough.

BZ

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='Whodey420' post='436724' date='Feb 4 2007, 09:46 AM']Not sure if he is restricted or not though? Wow how many weeks ago did you start
following football?
:ninja:[/quote]

who pissed in your wheaties?

Guest happyrid
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='436727' date='Feb 4 2007, 10:10 AM']who pissed in your wheaties?[/quote]

Only players in their first three seasons can be restricted free agents. I think his joke centered around the fact that Strahan has been in the NFL for like 12 years so there is no way in hell he would be a RFA even if he was a free agent, which he's not.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='happyrid' post='436735' date='Feb 4 2007, 10:28 AM']Only players in their first three seasons can be restricted free agents. I think his joke centered around the fact that Strahan has been in the NFL for like 12 years so there is no way in hell he would be a RFA even if he was a free agent, which he's not.[/quote]

fair enough, I honestly didn't know that about restricted free agents. He could have just said that instead of being a douche.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='436758' date='Feb 4 2007, 11:34 AM']fair enough, I honestly didn't know that about restricted free agents. He could have just said that instead of being a douche.[/quote]

yeah, but where is the fun in that?

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='Whodey420' post='436724' date='Feb 4 2007, 09:46 AM']Not sure if he is restricted or not though? Wow how many weeks ago did you start
following football?
:ninja:[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[quote name='happyrid' post='436735' date='Feb 4 2007, 10:28 AM']Only players in their first three seasons can be restricted free agents. I think his joke centered around the fact that Strahan has been in the NFL for like 12 years so there is no way in hell he would be a RFA even if he was a free agent, which he's not.[/quote]

Not really. Any player can have an "exclusive-rights" clause in their contract that makes them effectively an RFA. Braham had this clause back in the offseason when Marvin first took over, so if anyone made him an offer, the Bengals could match. No one did, and we just brought him back at a low salary.

Go, i just think it would be nice to have a veteran on the defense that could help geathers continue to improve and stuff and show him how he broke the record for sacks in a season, i mean that could only help right? I wouldnt wanna break the bank on him, but I think he could have like 2 or 3 more decent years in him and I think would be a huge leader in the clubhouse. Not that we would actually get him....

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='437099' date='Feb 5 2007, 01:10 AM']Go, i just think it would be nice to have a veteran on the defense that could help geathers continue to improve and stuff and show him how he broke the record for sacks in a season, i mean that could only help right? I wouldnt wanna break the bank on him, but I think he could have like 2 or 3 more decent years in him and I think would be a huge leader in the clubhouse. Not that we would actually get him....[/quote]

veterans arent always model citizens, youve got guys like favre, who youd think could teach a kid like rogers a million things and progress him as a qb very well. but favre could give two fucks about rogers, strahan might be right in terms of teaching, but he wouldnt come cheap, and he appears to lobbying for a team to get one last check from and go die off on. i think we hit our quota of damaged overaged goods in sam adams and i think we hit our quota of giving gift contracts to players undeserving in willie anderson latest obsurd extension.

i agree completely that veteran leadership is much needed on the defense, we have the premadonnas in oneal and so on, we need a strong successful leader to guide the entire defense, likely a monster linebacker or safety. if we spend any money to bring in a "big name" they best be palying linebacker.

[quote name='Soundwave' post='437112' date='Feb 5 2007, 01:43 AM']I don't think we should trade for Strahan, but I would rather us do that than sign Justin Smith.[/quote]

really? whys that? we dont have to sign smith to a trillion dollar deal, he is a GOOD football player. he is a decent compliment to geathers, and "does his job" just because he didnt live up to the magical hype surrounding his draft spot doesnt mean he isnt a valuable part of the team. i dont see many DE's that arent going to get phat paid from some foolish larger city or isnt 10000 years old... smith is about 8-9th on th elist of reasons the defense sucked balls last year... im more interested in getting rid of the 6-7 guys ahead of him on the suckass list

[quote name='GoBengals' post='437113' date='Feb 5 2007, 02:47 AM']really? whys that? we dont have to sign smith to a trillion dollar deal, he is a GOOD football player. he is a decent compliment to geathers, and "does his job" just because he didnt live up to the magical hype surrounding his draft spot doesnt mean he isnt a valuable part of the team. i dont see many DE's that arent going to get phat paid from some foolish larger city or isnt 10000 years old... smith is about 8-9th on th elist of reasons the defense sucked balls last year... im more interested in getting rid of the 6-7 guys ahead of him on the suckass list[/quote]
I just don't think we are going to get much better if we bring all the same guys back on our d-line that already couldn't pass rush worth a damn. We signed Geathers, so I feel we need to look elsewhere for the other DE spot. If Marvin and Chuck want to go with this rush 4 drop 7 scheme, they've got to get guys who can get in the QB's face without the blitz.

I've never been a Smith basher. Just think that now he is a free agent, we need to go into a different direction. Yes, we need to get rid of those 6 or 7 suck-ass guys too.

[quote name='Soundwave' post='437121' date='Feb 5 2007, 02:14 AM']I just don't think we are going to get much better if we bring all the same guys back on our d-line that already couldn't pass rush worth a damn. We signed Geathers, so I feel we need to look elsewhere for the other DE spot. If Marvin and Chuck want to go with this rush 4 drop 7 scheme, they've got to get guys who can get in the QB's face without the blitz.

I've never been a Smith basher. Just think that now he is a free agent, we need to go into a different direction. Yes, we need to get rid of those 6 or 7 suck-ass guys too.[/quote]

i dont remember a rush 4 drop seven scheme, i remember a buncha of pathetic linebackers unable to rush for shit, thurman and pollack were huge in getting pressure on the QB in 05, the only thing the defense is missing in 2 good linebackers another good corner, and a young talented DT to replace ham adams... the d line has been the least of the defenses concerns for years, which is why it hasnt been adressed for years. unfortunetly we have been unable to fix the real issues at LB and DB for the same periods of time.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='437123' date='Feb 5 2007, 02:21 AM']i dont remember a rush 4 drop seven scheme, i remember a buncha of pathetic linebackers unable to rush for shit, thurman and pollack were huge in getting pressure on the QB in 05, the only thing the defense is missing in 2 good linebackers another good corner, and a young talented DT to replace ham adams... [b] the d line has been the least of the defenses concerns for years, which is why it hasnt been adressed for years[/b]. unfortunetly we have been unable to fix the real issues at LB and DB for the same periods of time.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]I have to disagree with your take on the defensive line.

The Bengals have tried to address the line recently. Smith was the 1st round pick in
2001, Adams was their marquee free agent in 2006, Askew was a failed project 4th
round pick in 2004, Geathers and Peko were 4th round picks in 2005 and 2006.

The problem with the linebackers and the problem with the line go hand in hand.

Marvin Lewis does not like to blitz alot on defense. Former d-coordinator Leslie Frazier did, that is
why Frazier is no longer here. However, the problem with the Lewis-Bresnahan philosophy is that
the Bengals' front four has never been able to consistantly pressure the quarterback.

That flaw was magnified in 2006 because of Pollack's and Thurman's absense because the
Bengals didn't have any linebackers who could rush the quarterback to help the d-line.

The key to every good defense is their d-line. When a team has a good d-line it makes their
linebackers and defensive backs look better. If it does not not, the opposite applies.[/b][/color]

Archived