Question for Bengal fans about Big Ben

1st off I just want to say that this is probably the coolest football sight I have come across so far. As a die-hard Steeler fan I hang around Stillers.com, stealers Website message board and SteelerNation board a lot but they cannot hold a candle to the "look" of this site. I enjoy coming here to see what you all are posting about because I have come to respect your team so much over the past few years now that you have turned it around from the 90's and such. I always thought your uniforms were the second coolest in the league and as a WV fan I always try to follow any 'Eers in the NFL. Chris Henry could be a freaking beast if he ever gets his head on straight but I'm afraid for you all that he will never change. Was like that at WVU.

Anyway I do have a question. I truely believe that Ben is one of the better QB's in the league and will only get better if he can stay healthy. As a Steeler fan you probably think that I'd say that. Yea, he may be a tad bit of a Drama Queen and maybe he was overated based on his first 2 years. Sure he had a great team around him but he still has to make "plays" and if you would watch him week in and week out you can tell that he has a little bit of the "it" that is needed. He may have "managed" his first 2 years but Neil,Kordell,Tommy never "managed" what Ben did so he had to have made some difference. The playoff run he played awesome when needed even with a "thumb" as our former coach would say. Super Bowl he played like shit I admit but he still found a way to win with a run here and there and a throw here and there. INSERT REF COMMENT HERE PLEASE :-)

My question is this. What were your thoughts on Big Ben before the playoff game and have they changed since the playoff game and Caron's unfortunate injury. INSERT SWEEP THE LEG COMMENT HERE. Are your comments about him more negative since that game?

I know this is Trash Talk area but I'm not very good at it so thought I would post it here.
Let me Try

Boomer is Gay

He has a very strong arm, but is apparently dumb and doesn't always make great decisions. If the run game can't get going, he has a hard time moving the ball. He is very good off of play action and roll outs, but not that great of a pocket quarterback. He hands off really well. Seems to be lazy and could lose some weight, but is still decently mobile as he is bigger than most defensive players and tough to bring down.

He didn't win the Super Bowl, his team did.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='bammorrisgotmehigh' post='439118' date='Feb 8 2007, 08:17 PM']1st off I just want to say that this is probably the coolest football sight I have come across so far. As a die-hard Steeler fan I hang around Stillers.com, stealers Website message board and SteelerNation board a lot but they cannot hold a candle to the "look" of this site. I enjoy coming here to see what you all are posting about because I have come to respect your team so much over the past few years now that you have turned it around from the 90's and such. I always thought your uniforms were the second coolest in the league and as a WV fan I always try to follow any 'Eers in the NFL. Chris Henry could be a freaking beast if he ever gets his head on straight but I'm afraid for you all that he will never change. Was like that at WVU.

Anyway I do have a question. I truely believe that Ben is one of the better QB's in the league and will only get better if he can stay healthy. As a Steeler fan you probably think that I'd say that. Yea, he may be a tad bit of a Drama Queen and maybe he was overated based on his first 2 years. Sure he had a great team around him but he still has to make "plays" and if you would watch him week in and week out you can tell that he has a little bit of the "it" that is needed. He may have "managed" his first 2 years but Neil,Kordell,Tommy never "managed" what Ben did so he had to have made some difference. The playoff run he played awesome when needed even with a "thumb" as our former coach would say. Super Bowl he played like shit I admit but he still found a way to win with a run here and there and a throw here and there. INSERT REF COMMENT HERE PLEASE :-)

My question is this. What were your thoughts on Big Ben before the playoff game and have they changed since the playoff game and Caron's unfortunate injury. INSERT SWEEP THE LEG COMMENT HERE. Are your comments about him more negative since that game?

I know this is Trash Talk area but I'm not very good at it so thought I would post it here.
Let me Try

Boomer is Gay[/quote]

Nice post and kind words.Your user name is hilarious also btw.I think Ben is a pretty good manager of the game for the most part ,who occasionaly makes bad decisions.I think losing fat fuck bettis hurt a lot in that area,therefore contributing to his dropoff in performance.

I think Ben is what he is, and that is an average QB who when asked to lead the team as a passing QB cant. (at least not consistently) Yes he may make some good passes here and there and played out of his skin in the two playoff games that a few guys keep acting as if that is who he is all the time. We posted this stuff last year before the playoff game about his number of passes and how bad he gets as those numbers go up. So while you may be newer to the site and may not have seen that stuff the opinions on it arent new. I think Bens issues this year are less to do with his injury and more to do with how much more his attempted passes went up. Untill that changes he will remain average. Im not sayin that it cant change, but thats on Ben, and I dont see it changing with Ken Anderson as your QB coach.

What drives us nuts is when the few fools like Diamond Dave and Aries even attempt to put him on the same level as Carson. Carson is a top 3 QB behind Manning and MAYBE Brady. Ben is not.

It would be like if I tried to compare John Thorton to Casey Hampton. Any idiot who knows anythiing about football knows better than to do that.

Dave and Aries show thier asses when they do that. But hey they both are asses anyway so...

My wife and brother-in-law are both steeler fans, so I have probably watched him more than most on this site for what it's worth.

Ben is mediocre. Period.

He is strong when rolling out, but if he has to stay in the pocket, he's toast (though being as big as he is, hard to take down).

As Jamie stated, if he has to pass more than 20 times in a game, his numbers nose-dive, and this past year showed that (though there were other examples pre-injury to support that argument).

I also wish people would stop saying that he's "the youngest QB to [b]win[/b] a SB".

When you're QB rating is 22, [b]you[/b] didn't win shit. His team and the refs won that game.

That griping aside, it's nice to see a third steeler fan that's not the product of his sister and "duncle"...

ben has all the physical potential in the world without the brain to match. in my opinion your new coach/o coordinator/whomever got it right when they said they wanted to switch to a more basic offensive playbook with some more 4 wr sets. after a year or so to adjust to this i could easily see him being around the 10th best qb in the league, stats wise. he certainly could be worse, but unfortunately some of your stealer comrads are desperately misguided when they call him a great young quarterback, hell... hes probably 3rd in his own division, whenever mcnair is healthy. i just dont see any comparison whatsoever to carso, brady, or manning, regardless, he is certainly serviceable given the history of your defense, o line, and running game. he may not be great, but when you win wiht defense and a strong running game i really dont see any major issues with him as long as he stays calm. the problem is you had neither the running game or defense last season as you did when you went to the super bowl, and even then your team overachieved, the question will be how long it takes for your new coach to sort it all back out.

im not even going to mention the fact that the dude is a douchebag beyond compare.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='439233' date='Feb 9 2007, 01:56 AM']ben has all the physical potential in the world without the brain to match. in my opinion your new coach/o coordinator/whomever got it right when they said they wanted to switch to a more basic offensive playbook with some more 4 wr sets. after a year or so to adjust to this i could easily see him being around the 10th best qb in the league, stats wise. he certainly could be worse, but unfortunately some of your stealer comrads are desperately misguided when they call him a great young quarterback, hell... hes probably 3rd in his own division, whenever mcnair is healthy. i just dont see any comparison whatsoever to carso, brady, or manning, regardless, he is certainly serviceable given the history of your defense, o line, and running game. he may not be great, but when you win wiht defense and a strong running game i really dont see any major issues with him as long as he stays calm. the problem is you had neither the running game or defense last season as you did when you went to the super bowl, and even then your team overachieved, the question will be how long it takes for your new coach to sort it all back out.

im not even going to mention the fact that the dude is a douchebag beyond compare.[/quote]

Here are a couple of very funny quotes from pissburgh Post-Gazette:

[quote]Roethlisberger will have a new center and perhaps as many as three different offensive linemen since last season. What he needs most is the kind of protection even the best of blockers cannot bring him -- one that prevents traffic accidents and emergency surgeries.

[b]"We'll streamline things that can come out of his mouth easier, that he can see more pictures with words [rather than] call exotic formations and not know where everybody's at," Arians said[/b].[/quote]

I just found that last quote very funny....... :meatwad:

Here is the link to the full story [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07039/760417-66.stm"]Big Jen[/url]

Archived