Edwards: "Jesus Would Be Appalled"

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus

[quote][size=4][u][img]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thenewswire/archive/ap/edwardsjesus.jpg[/img]
[b]Edwards: Jesus Would Be 'Appalled'[/b]
MIKE BAKER
AP
March 5, 2007 [/u][/size]

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards says Jesus would be appalled at how the United States has ignored the plight of the suffering, and that he believes children should have private time to pray at school.

Edwards, in an interview with the Web site Beliefnet.com, said [b]Jesus would be most upset with the selfishness of Americans and the country's willingness to go to war "when it's not necessary."[/b] :thumbsup:

[b]"I think that Jesus would be disappointed in our ignoring the plight of those around us who are suffering and our focus on our own selfish short-term needs,"[/b] Edwards told the site. [b]"I think he would be appalled, actually."[/b] :bowdown:

Edwards also said he was against teacher-led prayers in public schools, but he added that "allowing time for children to pray for themselves, to themselves, I think is not only OK, I think it's a good thing."

Edwards has often cited religion as a part of his politics, frequently linking his [b][size=4]efforts to fight poverty as a matter of morality.[/quote][/size][/b]

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070305/on-the-2008-trail"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/2...-the-2008-trail[/url]

Guest CincyInDC

[quote name='sneaky' post='451320' date='Mar 6 2007, 01:35 AM'][color="#ff0000"][b]Ive already made up my mind, I'm voting for either Obama or Edwards, in 2008.[/b][/color][/quote]

Then the terrorists have already won.

:ninja:

[b]Jesus would be appalled at how the United States has ignored the plight of the suffering[/b], and that [u]he believes children should have private time to pray at school[/u].

I applaud his latter remarks; but please refer to [url="http://qesdb.cdie.org/gbk/index.html"]http://qesdb.cdie.org/gbk/index.html[/url]

and decide for yourself [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/37.gif[/img]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='451145' date='Mar 5 2007, 08:06 PM'][/size][/b]
[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070305/on-the-2008-trail"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/2...-the-2008-trail[/url][/quote]

Stay tuned for Edwards' future speeches:

Jesus thinks you should elect me president.

Jesus wants Bush impeached.

And in anticipation of the 2008 election, Jesus wants a re-count.

BJ, why would you vote for him? You hate Jesus and christians. He sounds like the same religious people that you bash constantly.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote name='Hooky' post='451743' date='Mar 6 2007, 04:28 PM']BJ, why would you vote for him? You hate Jesus and christians. He sounds like the same religious people that you bash constantly.[/quote]

[color="#000080"][b]1. I do not hate Christians ..... just many people that consider themselves Christians

2. There is nothing inherently wrong with believing in Jesus .... I consider him a good role model or idea ... even though I don't see him as the son of god. I am a big fan of Jesus the concept ... I just don't like many of the people who think they work for him.

3. I have never bashed a Christian for saying we should work towards peace or combat poverty ..... this is new testament Christianity which I don't take issue with. I bash Old testament Christianity --- the leviticus type bigotry and and the seething hateful people who are inspiried by it to cast stones on others. Jesus never once mentioned gay people, tax cuts, capitalism, preemptive war, why corporations are good, why the environment is ours to destroy etc. If anything he is the ultimate pacifist communitarian hippie who lashed out at the money changers, abhorred hypocrites, spoke out against violence of any kind, and thought we should all love one another regardless of what someone does to you. Now how in the fuck does this describe Pat Robertson and his ilk ? Jesus would be telling us to forgive Osama .... not invade Iran. [/b][/color]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='451901' date='Mar 6 2007, 07:33 PM'][color="#000080"][b]1. I do not hate Christians ..... just many people that consider themselves Christians
2. There is nothing inherently wrong with believing in Jesus .... I consider him a good role model or idea ... even though I don't see him as the son of god. I am a big fan of Jesus the concept ... I just don't like many of the people who think they work for him.
3. [size=5] I have never bashed a Christian for saying we should work towards peace or combat poverty ..... this is new testament Christianity which I don't take issue with. I bash Old testament Christianity --- the leviticus type bigotry and and the seething hateful people who are inspiried by it to cast stones on others. Jesus never once mentioned gay people, tax cuts, capitalism, preemptive war, why corporations are good, why the environment is ours to destroy etc. If anything he is the ultimate pacifist communitarian hippie who lashed out at the money changers, abhorred hypocrites, spoke out against violence of any kind, and thought we should all love one another regardless of what someone does to you. Now how in the fuck does this describe Pat Robertson and his ilk ? Jesus would be telling us to forgive Osama .... not invade Iran.[/size] [/b][/color][/quote]
:headbang:

Guest LoyalFanInGA

When Bush prays that he is right, who is he talking to?

Click for answer==> [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuAUI_0knfk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuAUI_0knfk[/url]

:ninja:

Thanks, Bj. Instead of praying at night, can I just e-mail you so you can tell me what Jesus thinks? You're argument is weak. I'm sure that Jesus wouldn't want you to just forgive someone like Osama and leave it at that and allow him to continue to blow up innocent people. He's going to toss the gambling tables, but not get outraged about that asshole? The bible is conveniently vague in some areas that makes it easy for you to pick and choose scripture and parables so they help make your point. He never said anything about the internet so Jesus has no opinions on what goes on there?

[quote name='Hooky' post='452250' date='Mar 7 2007, 03:35 PM']Thanks, Bj. Instead of praying at night, can I just e-mail you so you can tell me what Jesus thinks? You're argument is weak. I'm sure that Jesus wouldn't want you to just forgive someone like Osama and leave it at that and allow him to continue to blow up innocent people. He's going to toss the gambling tables, but not get outraged about that asshole? The bible is conveniently vague in some areas that makes it easy for you to pick and choose scripture and parables so they help make your point. He never said anything about the internet so Jesus has no opinions on what goes on there?[/quote]
Perhaps you're familiar with these words, Hooky?

"As we forgive those, who trespass against us?"

Just curious....

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='452258' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:56 AM']Perhaps you're familiar with these words, Hooky?

Just curious....[/quote]

Good point. Forgive the Bush administration and be done with it.

[i]Good reply BJ, you are nearly on point with a few misunderstandings. Understanding the Old Testament. The premise of the Old Testament was to seperate (hence you call this bigotry) from the surrounding kingdoms and their pagan religons. Their is a reason for this; to worship the true living God, following carefully prescribed laws. The laws were designed to guide them towards rightenous.[/i] [b]Note: Please recall my response on Leviticus in a previous thread.[/b]

[quote]I have never bashed a Christian for saying we should [b]work towards peace[/b] or combat poverty ..... this is new testament Christianity which I don't take issue with.[/quote]

[i]No argument here, I only wanted to add that God permitted ancient Israel to wage war on people in a specific area (Canaan) and [b]NOT[/b] for world conquest. Sometimes the evil necessary of war may be required to achive the end reslut of peace.[/i]

[color="#000080"]God ordains that the State—law enforcement and the military—may wield the sword [/color](Rom. 13:1-7

[quote]I bash Old testament Christianity --- [b]the leviticus type bigotry [/b]and and the seething hateful people who are inspiried by it to cast stones on others. [u]Jesus never once mentioned gay people,[/u] tax cuts, capitalism, preemptive war, why corporations are good, why the environment is ours to destroy etc.[/quote]

[i]Again, the laws of Leviticus were specifically set aside for the Ancient Hebrews. There is a reason for this[/i] -_-

[quote]BJ
this is new testament Christianity which I don't take issue with[/quote]

[i]The following passages are derived from the New Testament.[/i]

[color="#000080"]1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, [b]nor homosexuals[/b], 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Rom. 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper." [/color]

[quote]If anything he is the ultimate pacifist communitarian hippie who lashed out at the money changers, abhorred hypocrites, spoke out against violence of any kind, and thought we should all love one another regardless of what someone does to you. Now how in the fuck does this describe Pat Robertson and his ilk ? Jesus would be telling us to forgive Osama .... not invade Iran.[/quote]

[b]Summary from CARM:[/b]

[i]In attempt to trap Jesus with a political statement[/i]:

"Show me a denarius. Whose portrait and inscription are on it?" "Caesar’s," they replied. He said to them, "Then give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s." They were unable to trap him in what he said there in public. And astonished by his answer, they became silent.

[i]In that passage, the distinction between the kingdom of Caesar and the kingdom of God is clear. If Caesar asks for taxes, then keep your focus on the kingdom of God, but pay them. Which he did as seen in Matt.[/i] 17:24-27.

[color="#000080"]The mission of the Church, rather, is to save souls, teach believers, and help the needy in practical ways. That is the essence of the kingdom message and individual Christians may gladly join these honorable institutions, thus becoming servants of God. But publicly and officially, they serve the State. Privately, they serve God in their individual relationship with him. [/color]

[i]BJ, you have interwined the relationships one has with the State (government) which I agree should be secular; with that in the Christian perspective as an individual.[/i]

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='452258' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:56 AM']Perhaps you're familiar with these words, Hooky?

Just curious....[/quote]
Well, why didn't you just say so... You just solved half our budget deficit issues - since we're going to turn the other cheek we don't need justice systems and jails, and since we're "turning the other cheek" and there is no repercussion for wrongs against us (both American and abroad as BlackJesus feels we should with terrorism), then we don't need police (why catch people in the act when you're not going to punish anyway, right??), and that hasn't even gotten us started with the military budget - we can just lop it off too. Why fight back?

Whew, I feel better already!! But, according to BJ, Jesus didn't believe in tax cuts so I guess those won't happen even though our deficit would drop drastically and be gone within months. But apparently Jesus did believe in making the government enormous and funneling as much money through it as possible (that is a shot at both sides of the aisle).

I like a lot of you, as Bengals fans, but I don't think I'd want to meet a bunch of you for a sit down conversation regarding anything beyond the Bengals. We just obviously don't see eye to eye.

I guess my question is this: If I agree to try not to impose my opinions and beliefs on you will you then do likewise? I don't understand why everyone has to feel like they need to try to get someone to change their stance on these types of issues. 99.9% of the time it isn't going to happen (a lot of people will only get more hard-headed) - I agree with healthy debate, but should the debate carry on, and on, and on, and on seemingly forever?

Move on to new topics of debate if you feel the need to continually try change the world one political opinion at a time.

Have a good one!

[quote name='Hooky' post='452272' date='Mar 7 2007, 04:16 PM']Good point. Forgive the Bush administration and be done with it.[/quote]
:lol:

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='452277' date='Mar 7 2007, 04:18 PM']Well, why didn't you just say so... You just solved half our budget deficit issues - since we're going to turn the other cheek we don't need justice systems and jails, and since we're "turning the other cheek" and there is no repercussion for wrongs against us (both American and abroad as BlackJesus feels we should with terrorism), then we don't need police (why catch people in the act when you're not going to punish anyway, right??), and that hasn't even gotten us started with the military budget - we can just lop it off too. Why fight back?

Whew, I feel better already!! But, according to BJ, Jesus didn't believe in tax cuts so I guess those won't happen even though our deficit would drop drastically and be gone within months. But apparently Jesus did believe in making the government enormous and funneling as much money through it as possible (that is a shot at both sides of the aisle).

I like a lot of you, as Bengals fans, but I don't think I'd want to meet a bunch of you for a sit down conversation regarding anything beyond the Bengals. We just obviously don't see eye to eye.

I guess my question is this: If I agree to try not to impose my opinions and beliefs on you will you then do likewise? I don't understand why everyone has to feel like they need to try to get someone to change their stance on these types of issues. 99.9% of the time it isn't going to happen (a lot of people will only get more hard-headed) - I agree with healthy debate, but should the debate carry on, and on, and on, and on seemingly forever?

Move on to new topics of debate if you feel the need to continually try change the world one political opinion at a time.

Have a good one![/quote]
Perhaps you should stick to the football forums, then. Nothing wrong with that.

WhoDey to you, sir.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='452279' date='Mar 7 2007, 11:20 AM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img][/quote]
That was pretty funny...

And, there is no way in Hades I'll vote for Hillary, Edwards, or Obama. That much I know for certain.

Don't know about the other side of the aisle - definitely not Mitt Romney, Giuliani.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='452289' date='Mar 7 2007, 11:28 AM']That was pretty funny...

And, there is no way in Hades I'll vote for Hillary, Edwards, or Obama. That much I know for certain.

Don't know about the other side of the aisle - definitely not Mitt Romney, Giuliani.[/quote]
I wish Ted Nugent and Joe Walsh would run again.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='452279' date='Mar 7 2007, 11:20 AM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img][/quote]

I wasn't implying that they've done anything that would require forgiveness. They definitely have.

But I was referring to the willingness to forgive Osama, but Bush can go to hell mentality of this thread.

That's my M.O. though. I usually get more laughs when I'm being serious. Just ask my wife.

Archived