Tubby Smith Leaving UK

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='460794' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:34 PM']Lets not forget how many transfers/kids left while Tubby Smith. There were tons. And recruits we whiffed on. Brandon Wright of UNC was a UK fan! Didn't come to Kentucky because of style of play.[/quote]

Also lets not forget the amount of dissaray Tubby has left this program, any coach that comes in here is going to have to work their ass off to clean up the mess

[quote name='IKOTA' post='460691' date='Mar 22 2007, 04:03 PM']Kentucky fans drove him out IMO. No chance UK gets Patterson or Jai Lucas now.

edit: Randolph Morris will probably bolt now also.[/quote]

Yup..That's pretty much what i see...myself.

Duke Front runners for PP especially since McRobs left. (What a mistake BTW). Pretty damn good day to say the least.

Randolph isn't elgible for the draft...since he already entered once. So he can basically sign a NBA contract any time he wants to.

[quote]Brandon Wright of UNC was a UK fan! Didn't come to Kentucky because of style of play.[/quote]

Brandon Wright would have stayed 1 year..so it would have been kinda useless. Maybe a game or two more won.

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='Storm' post='460797' date='Mar 22 2007, 04:37 PM']Also lets not forget the amount of dissaray Tubby has left this program, any coach that comes in here is going to have to work their ass off to clean up the mess[/quote]

Oh i know. Morris going pro. That leaves us Carter and Mike Williams. We still have Ramel and Joe who are both disappointments. Derrick Jasper who is worthless. He never shoots can control the point. Michael Porter - ugh. Perry Stevenson who can't play d and never hardly got to play last year. AJ Stewart who is like Stevenson. And thats it! Meeks is our best player. Who knows if he stays.

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='460756' date='Mar 22 2007, 03:50 PM']Pat Reilly and Billy D top choices (sp?)[/quote]

Per Cutler --------- Pat Riley has been offered the job durng the last few Ky coaching changes and declined each time.

Billy D has a Ky out clause in his contract.

Tubby was and is a great coach -------- no question about it. However, Tubby and staff and far from great recruiters. He could have stayed but only if he brought in some young gun hotshots that could/would recuit. He would not and therefore bailed out.

Bottom line is this --------- Ky may lose games but never should they lose games due to a lack of talent. They are without the talent one would/should expect at Ky.

5 loses in a row to Vandy, 6 to Florida. No point guard and no scoring threat inside except Morris. Tubby is gone and they will be back. Here is hoping for some great hotshot to bring them back and again bring in the up tempo in your face defense that ahs made KY teh winnest team in sports history.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2808406"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2808406[/url]

Smith leaving Kentucky to coach MinnesotaBy Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Tubby Smith is leaving Kentucky after 10 seasons to take the head coaching job at Minnesota.

Smith

Smith, who had four years remaining on his contract, will be introduced at a 1 p.m. ET news conference Friday in Minneapolis. A Kentucky source said that the school would still honor the $1.5 million incentive bonus that Smith is due on April 3.

Smith informed Kentucky players and athletics director Mitch Barnhart about his decision earlier Thursday and also phoned former Minnesota coach Dan Monson, who was fired in November, to tell him he was accepting the job.

However, in a statement issued late Thursday afternoon by Kentucky's athletics department, the university said Smith had yet to confirm with UK officials that he is leaving for Minnesota.

Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi contacted Barnhart on Thursday morning requesting permission to speak with Smith, the statement said, and at that point Smith confirmed to Barnhart that his agent had been in discussions with Minnesota.

Tubby Smith's Career
Kentucky Overall
Seasons 10 16
Record 263-83 387-145
Winning Pct. .760 .727
NCAAs 10 14
Elite Eight 4 4
According to sources, Smith called Monson for an education about the opening, Minnesota's basketball facilities, the atmosphere around the program, and how the job compares to others in the Big Ten. The program was on probation for five of Monson's seven seasons after an academic scandal under former coach Clem Haskins.

Monson cleaned up the program, but the Gophers didn't win; they were 9-22 this season, 3-13 in the Big Ten.

During his decade at Kentucky, where he replaced Rick Pitino, Smith was 263-83 and reached the NCAA Tournament every season, winning the national championship in 1998 -- Smith's rookie season in Lexington. But the Wildcats have not been back to the Final Four since.

"Tubby is an outstanding individual and he's been a credit to the conference and a credit to the game," SEC commissioner Mike Slive said Thursday. "We definitely wish him well. Kentuucky has a great basketball tradition, and that great tradition will continue as the university moves ahead."

This season, in which the Wildcats finished 22-12 overall, 9-7 in the SEC and lost to Kansas in the second round of the tournament, saw a growing faction of Kentucky fans calling for Smith's ouster.

Earlier this month, before the Wildcats played their first-round NCAA Tournament game, Barnhart issued a statement supporting Smith, saying "Tubby's our basketball coach."

But Barnhart also said that he and Smith would sit down after the season to discuss potential changes -- and declined to say whether any of Smith's assistants might be replaced.

Wojciechowski on Tubby
From March 16: Tubby Smith is in a no-win situation at Kentucky, which is why he should leave on his own terms before he is eventually fired, as Gene Wojciechowski details. Story
Meanwhile, while watching the defending national champion Gators practice in St. Louis in preparation for their Sweet 16 game against Butler on Friday, Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley did not seem particularly concerned if Kentucky pursues coach Billy Donovan.

When asked whether he expected Kentucky to contact Donovan, Foley replied, "It's a free world. There's nothing to prevent them from doing that."

"We're trying to win an NCAA championship. He's our coach and he's been tremendously loyal for a long time. That's all I'm going to say about it."

Donovan and Foley have been discussing a contract extension but have not agreed to one. Foley said he expected it to get done.

Donovan had not heard about Smith's decision when approached by a Louisville Courier-Journal reporter just before the start of practice Thursday. When asked about it, Donovan said, "I know you have to ask me that, but right now I'm here to coach my team and win a national championship."

According to sources, Marquette coach Tom Crean, Michigan State's Tom Izzo, Memphis coach John Calipari, Gonzaga's Mark Few, Notre Dame's Mike Brey, Texas' Rick Barnes, Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie and Villanova's Jay Wright are expected to be candidates for what is one of the few premier jobs in men's college basketball.

[size=5][b]Donovan?!!?!?![/b][/size]

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='460829' date='Mar 22 2007, 05:32 PM']

This guys a little crazy, but you should hear some of the stats that he's reading off of a story on Tubby.
I did like Tubby though. He was a great coach, and deserves a second chance. I think change was a need though.[/quote]

Katman2000 is fucking awesome.

Guest LeakyBengal

Greg Fucking Doyel!

[url="http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10080776"]http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10080776[/url]

:headbang:

I am a big fan of UK and liked Tubby, but it's been pretty evident that our talent pool had been drying up lately. Under Tubby, our teams didn't shoot well from anywhere (with some exceptions) and never have I seen a dead weight player like Jasper take the floor before. Even Wayne Turner could launch a three now and again.
Tubby was a classy guy and a good defensive coach, but lacked recruiting talent to keep a continuous flow of talent coming year in and out (again, with some exceptions, but having one Tayshaun Prince and 4 Bobby Perry's on the floor doesn't scare anyone) and I despised the plodding half-court offense that he liked to use.
The UK I knew and loved ran the floor non-stop, whether it was with the press, multiple transition breakaways or whatever.
Tubby also seemed obsessed with always having a guy like Morris. I'd prefer a shorter, stronger guy in the five spot that can actually shoot the ball from beyond 3 feet from the rim. It's college ball, it's about the jumper and the three (which was another area that Tubby's teams generally sucked, again with some exceptions) and UK under Tubby after 2001 or so just wasn't that great at it.
Sure, Tubby had some good successes, but never seemed to be able to put together a team that could quite get over the hump and take it to the Final Four (1998 doesn't count).
Those that think UK is fucked by this are crazy, unless they wait too long to hire a new coach. We have enough talent to compete next year, we'll still make the tournament, and whomever they select as the new coach will have to be a better recruiter and evaluator of talent than Tubby.
My dark horse?
Travis Ford.
I'm serious. Young guy, former UK great, coaches in Ky already. He would bring a lot of energy and excitement to the program.

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='Bunghole' post='460872' date='Mar 22 2007, 07:20 PM']I am a big fan of UK and liked Tubby, but it's been pretty evident that our talent pool had been drying up lately. Under Tubby, our teams didn't shoot well from anywhere (with some exceptions) and never have I seen a dead weight player like Jasper take the floor before. Even Wayne Turner could launch a three now and again.
Tubby was a classy guy and a good defensive coach, but lacked recruiting talent to keep a continuous flow of talent coming year in and out (again, with some exceptions, but having one Tayshaun Prince and 4 Bobby Perry's on the floor doesn't scare anyone) and I despised the plodding half-court offense that he liked to use.
The UK I knew and loved ran the floor non-stop, whether it was with the press, multiple transition breakaways or whatever.
Tubby also seemed obsessed with always having a guy like Morris. I'd prefer a shorter, stronger guy in the five spot that can actually shoot the ball from beyond 3 feet from the rim. It's college ball, it's about the jumper and the three (which was another area that Tubby's teams generally sucked, again with some exceptions) and UK under Tubby after 2001 or so just wasn't that great at it.
Sure, Tubby had some good successes, but never seemed to be able to put together a team that could quite get over the hump and take it to the Final Four (1998 doesn't count).
Those that think UK is fucked by this are crazy, unless they wait too long to hire a new coach. We have enough talent to compete next year, we'll still make the tournament, and whomever they select as the new coach will have to be a better recruiter and evaluator of talent than Tubby.
My dark horse?
Travis Ford.
I'm serious. Young guy, former UK great, coaches in Ky already. He would bring a lot of energy and excitement to the program.[/quote]

Calipari or Billy D. If its Travis Ford I'll kill myself. We need guys that can recruit and bring in 5/4 star guys every year. Billy D. Calipari and even Ricky P can do that. Travis Ford can't.

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='460876' date='Mar 22 2007, 06:24 PM']Calipari or Billy D. If its Travis Ford I'll kill myself. We need guys that can recruit and bring in 5/4 star guys every year. Billy D. Calipari and even Ricky P can do that. Travis Ford can't.[/quote]
I don't want Billy Donovan. I hate Florida. Let him keep his gator stench where it belongs, in a swamp. OK, I wouldn't be unhappy with him as he is a great coach, but...I'd prefer someone else. I certainly don't know why he'd want to coach UK though. Florida is one of the best 4 teams in the country, and looks to continue to be great. They are the top dog in the SEC now, as much as I hate to say it.
I want us to find the [i]next[/i] Billy Donovan, and I seriously believe that Travis Ford could be that guy.
A former player, a hometown hero...having that UK on his fleece will draw recruits. He knows what he's doing. He's taken a small, afterthought school to the tournament.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='460754' date='Mar 22 2007, 03:45 PM']Again. You don't have any sense. We haven't beat a ranked team in 2 years. Longest final four drought in KY history and much much more.[/quote]

Again I don`t have any sense ? When did you say I didn`t have any the first time ?

Yeah, you can rattle off bad stats about Tubby, and try to convince yourself that
he wasn`t "worthy" of Kentucky. But he was a good coach, that did it without
breaking the rules.

Who`s to say that Kentucky isn`t like Notre Dame football now ?
Has a great history and tradition, but just can`t convince the
top recruits that it`s the place to be. Why would a top recruit
pick Kentucky over any other school now ? Because they
used to win titles. Because playing for them used to mean a shot
at a title every season ? Because they are considered a top
basketball school, but their fans put so much pressure on you
and compare you to past greats, that no matter how good you are,
you`re not good enough unless you bring a banner home ?

Fact is, every program has down years. Even in the down years,
Tubby managed to get to the tournament with "less than Duke" talent.

Awwww, fuck what do I care ? I`m not even a Kentucky fan.

I just hate to see a good coach run out of town, because he isn`t
"worthy" of such a great program.

I just hope things get so bad in Kentucky that some fans dream of the days of Tubby.
Whatever coach they do bring in, I hope he either flops hard, or is busted for NCAA
violations and sets the program back a decade.

Now bash away... and tell me how I have no sense...

[quote name='oldschooler' post='460889' date='Mar 22 2007, 06:53 PM']Again I don`t have any sense ? When did you say I didn`t have any the first time ?
Yeah, you can rattle off bad stats about Tubby, and try to convince yourself that
he wasn`t "worthy" of Kentucky. But he was a good coach, that did it without
breaking the rules.

Who`s to say that Kentucky isn`t like Notre Dame football now ?
Has a great history and tradition, but just can`t convince the
top recruits that it`s the place to be. Why would a top recruit
pick Kentucky over any other school now ? Because they
used to win titles. Because playing for them used to mean a shot
at a title every season ? Because they are considered a top
basketball school, but their fans put so much pressure on you
and compare you to past greats, that no matter how good you are,
you`re not good enough unless you bring a banner home ?

Fact is, every program has down years. Even in the down years,
Tubby managed to get to the tournament with "less than Duke" talent.

Awwww, fuck what do I care ? I`m not even a Kentucky fan.

I just hate to see a good coach run out of town, because he isn`t
"worthy" of such a great program.

I just hope things get so bad in Kentucky that some fans dream of the days of Tubby.
Whatever coach they do bring in, I hope he either flops hard, or is busted for NCAA
violations and sets the program back a decade.
Now bash away... and tell me how I have no sense...[/quote]
Tubby didn't resign because he wasn't "worthy". He was given a choice to either shake up (fire) his staff or leave, because it had become obvious that whatever he and they were doing, it wasn't working up to standards.
And things in UK will never get as bad as you describe...they NEVER have been, even when the program was on probation because of Eddie Sutton's cheating ass. We were down for a whole ONE year.
UK should be in the tournament EVERY year. They weren't going as deep into the tournament as they SHOULD have, because under Tubby, we weren't recruiting the right talent or playing the right kind of game in order to advance.
We needed this shakeup, and now it's happened. Good.
For the record, again, I always liked Tubby, thought he was a classy guy and an excellent defensive coach. But our offense has either been inconsistent or sucked in key areas (free throws, three-pointers, fast breaks) for YEARS now, and the fanbase does and should expect better.
Sorry, it is what it is. I hope Tubs does well in Minnesota. Maybe he needed the challenge of turning around a shitty program.
Lately he seemed to be going through the motions at UK.
I want a young, fiery coach.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='460756' date='Mar 22 2007, 04:50 PM']Pat Reilly and [b]Billy D[/b] top choices (sp?)[/quote]
LOL, no chance he leaves florida.

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='460794' date='Mar 22 2007, 05:34 PM']Lets not forget how many transfers/kids left while Tubby Smith. There were tons. And recruits we whiffed on. Brandon Wright of UNC was a UK fan! Didn't come to Kentucky because of style of play.[/quote]
U dont change ur style of play just to get a recruit, thats just stupid.

[quote name='JC' post='460803' date='Mar 22 2007, 05:42 PM']Yup..That's pretty much what i see...myself.

Duke Front runners for PP especially since McRobs left. (What a mistake BTW). Pretty damn good day to say the least.

Randolph isn't elgible for the draft...since he already entered once. So he can basically sign a NBA contract any time he wants to.
Brandon Wright would have stayed 1 year..so it would have been kinda useless. Maybe a game or two more won.[/quote]
1) Mcroberts leaving is a good thing.

2) Randolph is draft eligible.

3) Wright is OVERRATED he has NO basketball IQ. Some UNC fans were telling me that he is a COMPLETE moron on the court and wont project to much in the NBA because of it.

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='460876' date='Mar 22 2007, 08:24 PM']Calipari or Billy D. If its Travis Ford I'll kill myself. We need guys that can recruit and bring in 5/4 star guys every year. Billy D. Calipari and even Ricky P can do that. Travis Ford can't.[/quote]
Billy D assuming he is a local guy...could very well end up in KY. He will probably lose all his talent this year.

[quote]1) Mcroberts leaving is a good thing.

2) Randolph is draft eligible.

3) Wright is OVERRATED he has NO basketball IQ. Some UNC fans were telling me that he is a COMPLETE moron on the court and wont project to much in the NBA because of it.[/quote]

McRobs leaving isn't a good thing...because who the fuck is there to back him up. The guy was a defensive monster. And everytime Zoub gets the ball he travels. If PP comes it might not be a bad thing. But we have no one that can back McRoberts up.

Randolph has already tried the draft. He cannot again. But he can sign a contract with a team now. If he is smart he would wait until he gets a nice contract with some guarenteed money.

I also think Wright is a piece of shit.

The window of opportunity for being a coach at one of the top basketball programs in the country doesn't stay open long, UK will be just fine and won't have a shortage of great BB coaches lining up to vie for the job.

Billy Donovan
Thad Matta

Thats my short list, and if UK called either one of them would be more than happy to take the next step

[quote name='Storm' post='460906' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:31 PM']Thad Matta
Thats my short list, and if UK called either one of them would be more than happy to take the next step[/quote]

Now whywould Thad Matta leave with Greg Oden probably staying. Cook. Conley And at least 6 top 100 recruits in the next two years. 4 of which being the top 25 in their class.

To go to Kentucky...where they have virtually nothing on those guys.

I think Thad is trying to build himself a national powerhouse.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='JC' post='460903' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:25 PM']Billy D assuming he is a local guy...could very well end up in KY. He will probably lose all his talent this year.
McRobs leaving isn't a good thing...because who the fuck is there to back him up. The guy was a defensive monster. And everytime Zoub gets the ball he travels. If PP comes it might not be a bad thing. But we have no one that can back McRoberts up.

Randolph has already tried the draft. He cannot again. But he can sign a contract with a team now. If he is smart he would wait until he gets a nice contract with some guarenteed money.

I also think Wright is a piece of shit.[/quote]
randolph can go into the nba draft TRUST me.

Billy D aint leaving florida.

[quote name='Storm' post='460906' date='Mar 23 2007, 01:31 AM']The window of opportunity for being a coach at one of the top basketball programs in the country doesn't stay open long, UK will be just fine and won't have a shortage of great BB coaches lining up to vie for the job.
Billy Donovan
[b]Thad Matta[/b]
Thats my short list, and if UK called either one of them would be more than happy to take the next step[/quote]
You folks who somehow believe that anyone would leave OSU for UK are fucking delusional.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='460930' date='Mar 23 2007, 02:10 AM']You folks who somehow believe that anyone would leave OSU for UK are fucking delusional.[/quote]

The window of opportunity for coaching a basketball institution like UK is small, When you are on top and there is an opening you can take the job or possibly regret not taking the job, UK will have no problem filling the job with almost anyone they want

[quote name='Storm' post='460952' date='Mar 23 2007, 02:22 AM']The window of opportunity for coaching a basketball institution like UK is small, When you are on top and there is an opening you can take the job or possibly regret not taking the job, UK will have no problem filling the job with almost anyone [b]ELSE [/b]they want[/quote]
fixed :whistle:

Archived