Tubby Smith Leaving UK

[quote name='oldschooler' post='461217' date='Mar 23 2007, 11:34 AM'][url="http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/sports/stories/2007/03/23/osu_notes23.ART_ART_03-23-07_G12_D165Q6G.html"]http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/s...12_D165Q6G.html[/url]
I also read somewhere that if he takes them to the Elite 8, Final 4... ect, that his other
bonuses and stuff kick in.[/quote]

First off that's the athletic director saying that OSU is a better place, not Matta. Name me a person in that position that doesn't talk like that about their school and I'll name you a person soon to be looking for another job. Even with all of Matte's incentives, it still doesn't hit Tubby's overall contract.

Secondly UK hasn't even contacted about contacting him yet, so who knows if the team is even interested?

Who was Rick Pitino before Kentucky? Who was Tubby Smith before Kentucky?

Winning at Kentucky does alot for your reputation in the college basketball world. Kentucky doesn't need to land a "Big Name" coach, they can easily make their own.

Guest LeakyBengal
Morris to the Knicks

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2809958"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2809958[/url]

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Storm' post='461104' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:11 AM']Same way a person is a fan of a pro football team they never played for[/quote]
great point.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='461105' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:15 AM']I heard on ESPN that the top candidates for the job are the dude from Marquette and I can`t remember the
other guy right now. I`m still half asleep...[/quote]
Tom Creen, stud.

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='461523' date='Mar 23 2007, 06:30 PM']great point.
Tom Creen, stud.[/quote]

Tom Creen, loser. Has done nothing at Marquette.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='460898' date='Mar 22 2007, 08:21 PM']LOL, no chance he leaves florida.[/quote]

Billy D was on Ricky P's staff with Tubby at KY. Billy D has a "If Ky comes calling I can get out" clause in his contract. He may not come to Ky or Ky may not want him but he did have it put in his contract so I would not say --- never !!!!

[quote name='JC' post='460908' date='Mar 22 2007, 08:38 PM']Now whywould Thad Matta leave with Greg Oden probably staying. Cook. Conley And at least 6 top 100 recruits in the next two years. 4 of which being the top 25 in their class.

To go to Kentucky...where they have virtually nothing on those guys.

I think Thad is trying to build himself a national powerhouse.[/quote]

You serious? Winingest team in the history of college basketball. 2nd most National Championships. Only thing wrong with Ky was they stopped recuiting the right people. Get the right coach and the talent will return ------ QUICKLY !!!!

[quote name='JC' post='460962' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:33 PM']I doubt Calipari would leave especially with Derrick Rose coming in next year. He is a monster.[/quote]

NO WAY IN HELL he stays at Memphis if KY comes a calling !!!!!!!

[quote name='GoBengals' post='461046' date='Mar 23 2007, 12:06 AM']i dont see how people can be huge fans of a college they never attended...[/quote]

Most of us have never played for the Bengals yet we are fans ----- what is the difference????? Especially in a state with ZERO professional teams.

[quote name='scharm' post='461356' date='Mar 23 2007, 01:37 PM']Who was Rick Pitino before Kentucky? Who was Tubby Smith before Kentucky?

Winning at Kentucky does alot for your reputation in the college basketball world. Kentucky doesn't need to land a "Big Name" coach, they can easily make their own.[/quote]

Your kidding right????????????

Pitino had coached the NY Knicks and in the final four prior to becoming Ky's coach. He was th hottest most pursued coach of that time frame.

Tubby had taken Tulsa and Georgia to the Sweet 16. Tubby had Ky ties as he was a Pitino assist along with Billy D. billy D played college ball for one of Pitino's final 4 teams prior to coming to KY.

I do agree with this --------- most of these guys are very good coaches. Ky needs a good coach and a great recuiter. the combo will again put them on top of the college basketball landscape.

[quote name='JC' post='461155' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:14 AM'][size=6]Due to a loophole in the NBA and NCAA rules, Morris, who declared for the draft, was permitted by the NCAA to return to the college game, but the NBA's collective bargaining agreement prohibited his re-entry into a future draft, which legally makes Morris an NBA free agent, who could be signed at any time by any team, and he could leave Kentucky in the middle of the season if he desires[/size]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randolph_Morris"]Go to the controversy section[/url]

[size=6]Right below the college section. He cannot enter the draft.[/size][/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[quote name='cwing' post='461578' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:07 PM']You serious? Winingest team in the history of college basketball. 2nd most National Championships. Only thing wrong with Ky was they stopped recuiting the right people. Get the right coach and the talent will return ------ QUICKLY !!!![/quote]
So Thad Matta..would leave OSU and Greg Oden cook and conley and 2 great recruiting classes coming in for KY who has virtually no one after morris left?

Riiiigghhhttt..ill believe it when i see it.

[quote name='cwing' post='461588' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:27 PM']Your kidding right????????????

Pitino had coached the NY Knicks and in the final four prior to becoming Ky's coach. He was th hottest most pursued coach of that time frame.

Tubby had taken Tulsa and Georgia to the Sweet 16. Tubby had Ky ties as he was a Pitino assist along with Billy D. billy D played college ball for one of Pitino's final 4 teams prior to coming to KY.

I do agree with this --------- most of these guys are very good coaches. Ky needs a good coach and a great recuiter. the combo will again put them on top of the college basketball landscape.[/quote]

Those guys were considered "top up and comers" at the time and weren't completely proven like some of the coaches being thrown around today. The were never considered top coaches before taking the Kentucky job like they are today.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='cwing' post='461575' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:04 PM']Billy D was on Ricky P's staff with Tubby at KY. Billy D has a "If Ky comes calling I can get out" clause in his contract. He may not come to Ky or Ky may not want him but he did have it put in his contract so I would not say --- never !!!![/quote]
i know all that shit. i still dont see billy d leaving. it would be a stupid move. im sure billy d would consider the job, but i dont thikn he will take it until later in his career.

not 1 recruit gives a fuck about tradition. it really doesnt mater how many titles you've won in the past or wins u have.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='461330' date='Mar 23 2007, 01:05 PM']First off that's the athletic director saying that OSU is a better place, not Matta. Name me a person in that position that doesn't talk like that about their school and I'll name you a person soon to be looking for another job. [b]Even with all of Matte's incentives, it still doesn't hit Tubby's overall contract.[/b]

Secondly UK hasn't even contacted about contacting him yet, so who knows if the team is even interested?[/quote]

Well 12th, you gotta look at their resumes.

Thad has coached the Buckeys for 3 seasons.
Tubby coached the Wildcats for 10.
Since Tubby became the coach of the Wildcats,
only 2 coaches in the NCAA had won more games,
Coach K and Jim Calhoun. Both of those coaches
are institutions are their schools. Tubby wasn`t "worthy".

Considering that Thad has only been coaching the Buckeyes for 3 seasons,
hasn`t won a Championship or been to the Final 4 (YET), he is
getting paid pretty damn close to what Tubby was making.

Anyway, we shall see if Kentucky is interested in Thad, or if Thad is interested in Kentucky...

[quote][size=5][b]Matta free to talk with Wildcats [/b][/size]
JASON LLOYD, Morning Journal Writer
03/24/2007

SAN ANTONIO -- If Kentucky is interested, OSU athletic director Gene Smith said yesterday he will grant permission for the school to speak with Thad Matta about replacing Tubby Smith as the Wildcats' next head coach. But Smith believes the Ohio State job is better.

Asked directly yesterday if he would talk to UK officials should they inquire, Matta said no.

''That thought has honestly never crossed my mind,'' Matta said. ''I haven't had time, to be honest. But, no.''

Matta gave a similar denial while at Xavier, when he insisted he was not a candidate for the Ohio State job even though he had already interviewed for it. Days later, he accepted it. [b]But Matta is under contract at Ohio State for nine more seasons in a deal guaranteed to pay him $18.6 million. With a base salary of $1.8 million, Smith said he's among the top 10 highest paid coaches in the country and second in the Big Ten behind Michigan State's Tom Izzo, who has won a national championship.[/b]

''I think our job is a better job than the Kentucky job because of what Thad and his staff have done,'' Smith said. ''I know everyone will talk about the rich Kentucky basketball tradition, but I still think ours is a better job.''

[b]A clause was inserted in Matta's contract last year that gives him 30 days following the Big Ten tournament to discuss other coaching vacancies around the country. He is currently in that window.

''I think the great thing that I've enjoyed is I love the path we're on to what we set out to do at Ohio State when we came here, and that was to build a championship-caliber basketball team,'' Matta said. ''In three years, we won two Big Ten championships, we've been the 2 seed and 1 seed in this tournament. I love where we are in regards to recruiting.''[/b]

Florida coach Billy Donovan is expected to be Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart's first choice. But if Donovan decides to stay with the Gators, the field becomes wide open and Matta certainly could be an appealing candidate.

[b]''When you look at how our fans responded this past season, almost all of our games were sold out, all of our Big Ten games were sold out and the fans showed up,'' Smith said. ''Our atmosphere continued to get better in (Value City Arena). We have the ability to do the things that are necessary to ensure he has what he needs to be successful.''[/b]

[b]Stitched up[/b]

Greg Oden received three stitches in his chin after Thursday night's win over Tennessee, but he'll be ready to play today against Memphis. He landed on his face because he couldn't use his surgically-repaired right wrist to break his fall.

''I went up and came down and I can't put my hand down to brace myself,'' he said. ''I kind of hit chin-first.''

[b]Outta here[/b]

While discussing college players' decision to leave early for the NBA, Memphis coach John Calipari said yesterday he called former Cavaliers guard Dajuan Wagner into his office after his freshman season and forced him to go to the NBA. Literally.

''I tore up his scholarship papers in front of him, because I knew he was going to be no lower than the eighth pick in the NBA draft,'' Calipari said. ''I called him to the office with his father and I tore them up. (I said) ÔYou're gone. You may never be drafted higher.'''

Wagner was selected by the Cavaliers with the sixth pick in the 2002 NBA draft. He is now out of the league, due mainly because of medical issues.

''Now you might say he's out of the league, but he made $15 million dollars,'' Calipari said. ''He had to go.''

jlloyd@morningjournal.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18122272&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6"]http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cf...46370&rfi=6[/url]

[quote name='scharm' post='461603' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:19 PM']Those guys were considered "top up and comers" at the time and weren't completely proven like some of the coaches being thrown around today. The were never considered top coaches before taking the Kentucky job like they are today.[/quote]

I agree Tubby was a top up and comer ------- Pitino on the other hand was a proven coach with NBA and final four expereince...........

If I'm not mistaken. Joe B was a Rupp long time assistent.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='461637' date='Mar 23 2007, 09:19 PM']i know all that shit. i still dont see billy d leaving. it would be a stupid move. im sure billy d would consider the job, but i dont thikn he will take it until later in his career.
not 1 recruit gives a fuck about tradition. it really doesnt mater how many titles you've won in the past or wins u have.[/quote]

Really --------- then why was Tubby taking heat for at least 3 players in the Sweet 16 that WANTED to be Wildcats and Tubby said ---- no thanks.

One was Brewer from Florida. One was Lofton from Tenn and I can not recall the other name.......

When asked concerning the Ky coaching situation Billy D said "that has nothing to do with me and everything to do with KY. I'm not in control of their decision making process".

Truth is it could be up to him by saying no thanks not interested I love Florida and I'm staying put --- He did not. He said ----- it is their decision. Meaning-- make me an offer !!!!!!!

This means one of two things ------- he is interested. Don't forget he has an out for the Ky job or ----------
he is using Ky as leverage for a big fat sweet deal. It could go either way ...........

[quote name='JC' post='461592' date='Mar 23 2007, 07:32 PM']So Thad Matta..would leave OSU and Greg Oden cook and conley and 2 great recruiting classes coming in for KY who has virtually no one after morris left?

Riiiigghhhttt..ill believe it when i see it.[/quote]

Maybe Matta will maybe he will not -------- most beleived he would not leave X. He said so himself and then he did just that ----- left X for OSU.

As far as we know he is not a candiate at this point. I beleive he is not a candiate until Billy D turns it down. I have my doubts Billy D will turn it down since he had insisted on an out in his contract in regard to the KY job. However, Billy D could be using Ky as leverage for his new Florida deal, only time will tell.

No one says the OSU job is not a great job --------- however. Ky and NC are considered the top two coaching jobs in college basketball. They are similar situation to the football coaches at ND, OSU and USC.

Their coaches are typically the highest paid. Who knows what these guys make outside of their salaries........... It was enough that Williams left Kansas ------ the 3rd winningst program for NC. I beleive he even won a Championship at Kansas.

Personally I want a high energy guy with a system to match. Ky was meant to run and they need to get back to that tradition.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='461759' date='Mar 24 2007, 09:19 AM']Tubby wasn`t "worthy".[/quote]

I will agree that there are stupid Ky fans out there that did not like Tubby from the get go. They however are in the minority even if they make the most noise.

First Tubby IS a great coach. Maybe the best bench coach in the country.

I beleive Pitino does not win the Championship back in 98 as he can not hold a candle to Tubby as a bench coach. Tubby made all the right adjustments for the "Comeback Cats".

I'll even say I think Tubby wins the Championship in 97 title game as he IS a better bench coach than Pitino and Pitino would not adjust to the smaller faster teams ----- example -- South Carolina was simliar to Arizona that year and they beat Ky two times as Pitino would not call off the press against them even though it gave their guards not problems.

However, for some reason he has failed to recuit consistent talent in the last several years. Prior to recuiting Morris, Crawford & Rondo he had a 5 year drought with 0 McDonalds All Americans. Bogans was the last one. When he did go out and pick up the All Americans he grabbed the wrong ones. Morris was lazy as hell until he realized he needed to save his career. Rondo created chemistry issues (if you didn't know-- he knocked up Sparks girlfriend and NO one got along on that team as half were in Rondo's corner and the other half in Sparks). Crawford has been a non factor.

Yes Tubby is a great coach but the first sign of trouble came last season. Last season with the team chemistry issues he brought in a shrink to help ---------- NOT GOOD !!! Yep, shrink sitting in stands with TV announcers discussing the shrink and Tubby's last ditch efforts to save 06 season.

Again -----------

This is simply a matter of recuiting. Ky is not getting the players they should. Tubby beleived in recuiting 4 year players instead of a mix. To win championships you need a core group of talented players and 1-3 NBA talent level guys. In recent years, when he had the NBA talent, he didn not have the role players. When he had the role players, he did not have the NBA talent.

Tubby for whatever reason was not getting it done in the recuiting war.

By the way --------- It seems many are mistaken...... Tubby was not fired, he quit.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='461759' date='Mar 24 2007, 10:19 AM']Well 12th, you gotta look at their resumes.

Thad has coached the Buckeys for 3 seasons.
Tubby coached the Wildcats for 10.
Since Tubby became the coach of the Wildcats,
only 2 coaches in the NCAA had won more games,
Coach K and Jim Calhoun. Both of those coaches
are institutions are their schools. Tubby wasn`t "worthy".

Considering that Thad has only been coaching the Buckeyes for 3 seasons,
hasn`t won a Championship or been to the Final 4 (YET), he is
getting paid pretty damn close to what Tubby was making.
Anyway, we shall see if Kentucky is interested in Thad, or if Thad is interested in Kentucky...
[url="http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18122272&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6"]http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cf...46370&rfi=6[/url][/quote]

Thad not interested in UK?
Akron Beacon Journal
Matta said Friday that he wouldn't talk to the University of Kentucky if the Wildcats called seeking a replacement for Tubby Smith, who took the Minnesota job Thursday.
"I love the path that we're on to do what we set out to do when we came here, and that was to build a championship-caliber basketball team,'' Matta said. ``In three years, we won two Big Ten championships, we've been the two seed and the one seed in this tournament. I love where we are in regards to recruiting.''
When pressed on whether he would talk to Kentucky, Matta said no.

[quote name='cwing' post='461838' date='Mar 24 2007, 01:22 PM']Maybe Matta will maybe he will not -------- most beleived he would not leave X. He said so himself and then he did just that ----- left X for OSU.

As far as we know he is not a candiate at this point. I beleive he is not a candiate until Billy D turns it down. I have my doubts Billy D will turn it down since he had insisted on an out in his contract in regard to the KY job. However, Billy D could be using Ky as leverage for his new Florida deal, only time will tell.

No one says the OSU job is not a great job --------- however. Ky and NC are considered the top two coaching jobs in college basketball. They are similar situation to the football coaches at ND, OSU and USC.

Their coaches are typically the highest paid. Who knows what these guys make outside of their salaries........... It was enough that Williams left Kansas ------ the 3rd winningst program for NC. I beleive he even won a Championship at Kansas.

[size=6]Personally I want a high energy guy with a system to match. Ky was meant to run and they need to get back to that tradition[/size].[/quote]
That's what I've been saying!

[quote name='cwing' post='461844' date='Mar 24 2007, 01:50 PM']. Rondo created chemistry issues [b](if you didn't know-- he knocked up Sparks girlfriend and NO one got along on that team as half were in Rondo's corner and the other half in Sparks)[/b]. Crawford has been a non factor.[/quote]
Wow, really? I didn't know that! I always thought that Rondo, while talented, was always a step away from leaving so you couldn't count on his ongoing contributions.
I liked Patrick Sparks. Hopefully he has chosen less of a slut as a girlfriend.

Archived