Billy is the new coach of UK

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='467567' date='Apr 6 2007, 08:54 AM']thats the best uk can do?

guess you guys have gone downhill, huh[/quote]
what are you talking about, everyone else was a ploy and the 17th choice Billy Gillispie was really who UK was after from the beginnning. Dont kid yourself, UK is an institution and no one turns them down it was all part of the master plan.

[quote name='whodey319' post='467568' date='Apr 6 2007, 08:58 AM']what are you talking about, everyone else was a ploy and the 17th choice Billy Gillispie was really who UK was after from the beginnning. Dont kid yourself, UK is an institution and no one turns them down it was all part of the master plan.[/quote]
sorry, i meant...

BILLY IS YOUR NEW COACH?!?!?!??!?!

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG IM SOOO JEALOUS, HES SUCH A GREAT COACH! TWO TIME BIG 12 COACH OF THE YEAR AND HES WHITE TOO! WHATS NOT TO LIKE?!?!?!!11

[img]http://newsimages.synacor.com/ap_photos//d18e30cf-97e9-44d0-8151-8f8e58f20206.jpeg[/img]

[quote][b]Source: Gillispie to Coach Ky. Wildcats[/b]
Friday, April 6, 2007 10:10 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By JEFFREY McMURRAY

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky's restless two weeks is over. The Wildcats have a new coach in Billy Gillispie, who will try to restore some of the luster to college basketball's winningest school.

Gillispie was hired as Kentucky's sixth coach in the last 76 years on Friday, a person familiar with the search process told The Associated Press. The former Texas A&M coach will replace Tubby Smith, who spent a decade in the glare of the sport's brightest spotlight before bolting to Minnesota.

Gillispie, who led the Aggies to the NCAA tournament's round of 16 this year for the first time since 1980, was to be introduced at an afternoon pep rally at Memorial Coliseum followed by a news conference, said the person familiar with the search, speaking on condition of anonymity pending an official announcement.

The Wildcats turned to Gillispie after another Billy — Florida's Billy Donovan — decided Thursday to stay with the Gators. Texas' Rick Barnes also indicated Thursday he wasn't interested in the job, but it was never formally offered to any candidate other than Gillispie.

Gillispie replaces Smith, who left the Wildcats after 10 seasons to take the head coaching job in Minnesota last month, despite having four years left on his contract.

Gillispie is 100-58 in five seasons as a coach. He spent the last three years with the Aggies, molding the longtime also-ran into a Big 12 power. Texas A&M went 27-7 this season.

His success with the Aggies made Gillispie a hot commodity. He was approached by Arkansas after Stan Heath was fired, but decided to stay with the Aggies, agreeing to a new contract worth $1.75 million that would have made him among the Big 12's highest-paid coaches.

The 47-year-old coach, however, never signed the deal and he didn't hesitate when Kentucky came calling. Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne gave Barnhart permission to speak to Gillispie on Thursday night, and by Friday morning the job was his.

Gillispie was an assistant under Bill Self at Tulsa and Illinois before coaching UTEP in 2002. He coached the Miners for two seasons, surviving a 6-24 season in 2002-03, then leading the Miners to a 24-8 record the next year.

Texas A&M lured him in 2004, and Gillispie didn't waste time turning around a program that went winless in Big 12 play the year before his arrival. The Aggies made it to the NIT his first season and the NCAA tournament the next two.

Behind senior point guard Acie Law, the Aggies spent most of the 2006-07 season ranked in the top 10. They finished 13-3 in the Big 12 this season.

Gillispie's finest moment came at Rupp Arena — he guided the Aggies to wins over Penn and Louisville in the opening rounds of this year's NCAA tournament. The Louisville game featured Smith's predecessor, Rick Pitino, coaching against Smith's successor, Gillispie on Kentucky's home court.

Gillispie is the sixth Kentucky coach since 1931, when Hall of Famer Adolph Rupp began a 42-year reign that turned the Wildcats into a national power. Rupp won four national titles, with Joe Hall, Pitino and Smith adding one each.

Kentucky's failure to return to the Final Four since winning the title in Smith's debut season of 1997-98 was a sore spot for Wildcats fans accustomed to success.

Smith compiled a 263-83 record as the Wildcats' coach and his teams advanced at least to the second round of the NCAA tournament in each of his 10 seasons. But because the program lost 10 or more games under Smith five times, some critics labeled him "10-loss Tubby."

Kentucky went 22-12 this season and was seeded No. 8 for the second straight year, with the tournament outcome the same as well. Last year, top-seeded Connecticut knocked off the Wildcats in round two. This year, it was top-seeded Kansas.

Gillispie inherits a team that faces several personnel questions, particularly in the frontcourt. Star center Randolph Morris, who played perhaps his best ball in the SEC and NCAA tournaments, signed with the New York Knicks.

Morris' top backup, Lukasz Obrzut, was a departing senior, as was starting power forward Bobby Perry and his backup, Sheray Thomas. The top center now appears to be Jared Carter, who missed almost the entire season after shoulder surgery. Seldom-used freshman Perry Stevenson could start at power forward.

The team returns three starting guards — freshman Derrick Jasper and juniors Joe Crawford and Ramel Bradley, as well as freshman Jodie Meeks, whose ability to nail 3-pointers provided a lift off the bench.

Smith's departure also leaves Kentucky's recruiting class in limbo. Smith had concentrated his recruiting on forward Patrick Patterson, a teammate of O.J. Mayo's in Huntington, W. Va., and guard Jai Lucas of Houston, son of former NBA player and coach John Lucas. The players haven't yet signed letters of intent.[/quote]

[b][url="http://broadband.zoomtown.com/news/read.php?id=14901488&ps=1013&lang=en&_LT=HOME_SHNWC02I3_UNEWS"]link[/url][/b]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]
[color="#FF0000"][b]
This is so pathetic it is hilarious.

Who the hell is Gillispie? If you think that this guy will do a better job than Tubby, you
are out of your mind. So, did the brain trust at UK, think that hiring another Italian coach
could conjure up the magic of the 90's?

For all you Tubby haters, I hope you are happy now. However, I promise you, that before
the Gillispie era is over, you will regret running Smith off.[/b][/color] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/19.gif[/img]

Guest steggyD
[quote name='sneaky' post='467654' date='Apr 6 2007, 12:28 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]
[color="#FF0000"][b]

Who the hell is Gillispie? If you think that this guy will do a better job than Tubby, you
are out of your mind. So, did the brain trust at UK, think that hiring another Italian coach

For all you Tubby haters, I hope you are happy now. However, I promise you, that before
the Gillispie era is over, you will regret running Smith off.[/b][/color] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/19.gif[/img][/quote]
Racist.

[quote name='sneaky' post='467654' date='Apr 6 2007, 12:28 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]
[color="#FF0000"][b]

the Gillispie era is over, you will regret running Smith off.[/b][/color] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//19.gif[/img][/quote]

you ever seen True Romance ???

the new coach is Sicilian, He has a botha in him !!!

they wanted some of both world! :ninja:

[quote name='steggyD' post='467661' date='Apr 6 2007, 12:35 PM']Racist.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Very much so.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, Tubby did an excellent job at UK, National Championship, Final
Fours, Elite Eights, but it was never enough from the Tubby haters because of their unrealistic
expectations.

I'm not saying this Gillispie guy will be a bum, he will be OK, but I can almost guarentee
that he will not surpass Tubby's accomplishments.

So do the math, if silly UK fan was not happy with Tubby, and Gillispie does not measure
up to Tubby, what will silly UK fan do next?[/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='467677' date='Apr 6 2007, 01:05 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Very much so.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, Tubby did an excellent job at UK, National Championship, Final
Fours, Elite Eights, but it was never enough from the Tubby haters because of their unrealistic
expectations.

I'm not saying this Gillispie guy will be a bum, he will be OK, but I can almost guarentee

So do the math, if silly UK fan was not happy with Tubby, and Gillispie does not measure
up to Tubby, what will silly UK fan do next?[/b][/color][/quote]

have you ever met a black UK fan ?? :ninja:

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='467682' date='Apr 6 2007, 01:10 PM']have you ever met a black UK fan ?? :ninja:[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Yes, they are the equivilent of black republicans. They will all surely go to hell when they
die.[/b][/color]

Guest steggyD
[quote name='sneaky' post='467677' date='Apr 6 2007, 01:05 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Very much so.

expectations.

up to Tubby, what will silly UK fan do next?[/b][/color][/quote]
Simple. First of all, we'll give him a couple years to prove himself, then we will begin to call for his head when we don't make it to at least the final four in year 3.

[quote name='steggyD' post='467686' date='Apr 6 2007, 01:16 PM']Simple. First of all, we'll give him a couple years to prove himself, [b]then we will begin to call for his head when we don't make it to at least the final four in year 3.[/b][/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Pefect example of why UK fans are so damn silly. They expect and demand instant
success, as if their state and school was a hotbed for the nation's prep basketball talent.

Who the hell wants to come play at Kentucky? Meaning if you were trying to recruit one of
the nation's best players, how would you sell him?

Seriously, for every reason you can come up with, I can come up with two reasons for him not to come to Kentucky, if I was a rival recruiter.[/b][/color]

Obviously, Gillispie wasn't my first choice. However, he is a solid coach and a good recruiter. I think he will bring good things to the program and hopefully snag a championship or two while he's here. It will definantly be a couple of years before the team gets back to speed though.

I like my home state being ragged about the same as you like being called a "towel head" or "nigger". Let that feeling tug on you for a second to appreciate where I'm coming from. I'm very proud of my state, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the country. We have our rednecks very true. But no more than Ohio, Florida, or just about any other state. The vast majority of the people here are simply a nice southern people that don't mind taking the time to hold open a door for a lady, or stopping to let someone out onto the road. You don't find that in Ohio. I stopped letting people out in Ohio because they don't appreciate it. It takes NOTHING to waive at someone for letting you out, yet only in Ohio do I not see it. Rude. I'll take my nice redneck over your dickhead buckeye anyday.

There are Kentucky fans that are assholes, I know. There are assholes in any organized sport. Hell just look at this board for proof. Assholes are everywhere, and if you have a successful program they come out of the woodwork. If you have a succesfful program for the better part of a century it only gets worse. I would wager that there are just as many, if not more assholes as OSU football fans than UK basketball fans. Even still I respect the program.

Like I said there are assholes everywhere, I just didn't think I would be seeing that in you two.

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='sneaky' post='467692' date='Apr 6 2007, 01:26 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Pefect example of why UK fans are so damn silly. They expect and demand instant
success, as if their state and school was a hotbed for the nation's prep basketball talent.

Who the hell wants to come play at Kentucky? Meaning if you were trying to recruit one of
the nation's best players, how would you sell him?

Seriously, for every reason you can come up with, [b]I can come up with two reasons for him not to come to Kentucky, if I was a rival recruiter.[/b][/b][/color][/quote]

You couldnt pre tubby smith era. orlando fucked up the program bad. we were at the top before he took over. we will be at the top again now the billy g is here.

if you dont know billy g then you dont know college basketball. he was the hottest name in college basketball this year.

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='467713' date='Apr 6 2007, 02:29 PM']Obviously, Gillispie wasn't my first choice. However, he is a solid coach and a good recruiter. I think he will bring good things to the program and hopefully snag a championship or two while he's here. It will definantly be a couple of years before the team gets back to speed though.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]OK, I got some questions for you UK fans.

#1. Is Gillispie a better coach than Tubby Smith as of today...right now.

#2. Hypothetically speaking, if Gillispie were to win the National Championship next
year, would you give him full credit for it, or hold a asterisk over his head because
it was with Tubby's players?[/b][/color]

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='sneaky' post='467716' date='Apr 6 2007, 02:34 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]OK, I got some questions for you UK fans.

#1. Is Gillispie a better coach than Tubby Smith as of today...right now.

#2. Hypothetically speaking, if Gillispie were to win the National Championship next
year, would you give him full credit for it, or hold a asterisk over his head because
it was with Tubby's players?[/b][/color][/quote]

Yes.

Yes. because if he wins a championship then he will have gotten more out of orlandos recruits than orlando got out of them himself.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='467719' date='Apr 6 2007, 02:40 PM']sarcasm?[/quote]

no its not. you didnt watch much college bball this year did you?

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='467715' date='Apr 6 2007, 02:33 PM']You couldnt pre tubby smith era. orlando fucked up the program bad. we were at the top before he took over. we will be at the top again now the billy g is here.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Orlando didn't screw your program up. He came behind a Pitino who had found lightning
in a bottle, and even Pitino knew that he could not sustain it, that's why he left to go to the
NBA before the bottle went dry. No one outside of John Wooden could have sustained Kentucky's
success from the 90's.[/b][/color]

[quote]if you dont know billy g then you dont know college basketball. he was the hottest name in college basketball this year.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Pleeeeeeeeeze. If you think that "Billy G" was Kentucky's first choice, you have lost your mind.
As I said before, I dont expect "Billy G" to be terrible, but if you think he can do better than Tubby,
I'm willing to put money on it.[/b][/color]

Gillispie is better right now because he had a better team. His resume is not as long or distinguished as Orlando Tubby Smith.

Tubby Smith is a great ball coach, one thing fans of a lesser programs can not figure out is you are not going to have many supporters doing what Tubby has done the past two years at UK. His previous accomplishments fall well short of being given a lifetime pass like other coaches of other elite programs.

I'd love to give Tubby credit for No. 8 if it were to happen next year.

Archived