***Official UC Basketball Thread***

Khatmandude

Mike DeCourcy on Lance Stephenson:

[quote][b]What's been the most impressive preseason showing so far?[/b]
[b]DeCourcy[/b]: As far as what I've seen with my eyes, it's been [b]Cincinnati freshman Lance Stephenson[/b]. I watched him practice and scrimmage last week, and it's fairly obvious he is going to have a spectacular season.

I sat next to a veteran NBA scout at the practice who was impressed with Stephenson's demeanor, body language and selfless play. That's because those issues were of concern when Stephenson arrived at Cincinnati from Brooklyn's Lincoln High. The scout compared him to Portland's Brandon Roy because, like Roy, Stephenson "can do it all," the scout said.

While Stephenson comported himself properly, he tore up the gym like few players I've seen in a Division I practice. Every offensive possession was another opportunity to do something extraordinary. Stephenson is the most physically powerful wing to enter college basketball since – since – I'm sorry, but I can't remember a young wing with this degree of strength. He also is a better passer than most of the top freshman point guards.
Stephenson should concentrate harder when taking open shots. He's great at making tough, guarded shots but tends to lose focus when presented a wide-open jumper. Right now, there aren't many more negatives.

[b]Some of my competitors were debating Wednesday on Twitter who will be the top five college freshmen this season. Nobody mentioned Stephenson. They will be regretting that, soon.[/b]
[/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hurry up already NCAA and rule him eligible. I'm getting sick of them fucking around and waiting until 2 days after the last minute to rule on our players!

[quote name='#22' date='05 November 2009 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1257466445' post='823228']
I know that I shouldn't come onto other fan's boards and start trouble, but I am really looking forward to seeing how Lance turns out.
[/quote]

He's gonna be a good one.

[quote name='#22' date='05 November 2009 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1257474292' post='823252']
or a complete bust who winds up in the back of several Clifton police cruisers.

I'd say it's 50-50 at this point.
[/quote]

As long as he plays well who cares? :ninja:

[quote name='#22' date='05 November 2009 - 11:54 PM' timestamp='1257474292' post='823252']
or a complete bust who winds up in the back of several Clifton police cruisers.

I'd say it's 50-50 at this point.
[/quote]

Seriously? He managed to stay out of police cruisers while living in NY City but you think that he'll come to Cincy and have a 50-50 chance of doing so? That's a pretty dumb statement.

And being a "bust" won't be determined in college. He'll be a lottery pick the moment he wants to leave. His NBA career is what will determine his success as a basketball player. He's been the #1 HS player in the country since he was a freshman. He lost that status due to his perceived attitude problems his SR year. If based on that info you're saying he's got a 50-50 chance to be a "bust" then again, pretty dumb statement.

Maybe you should stick to your UK thread as obviously you have nothing to add to this conversation.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='#22' date='24 November 2009 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1259116809' post='832976']
Why did all of the great college basketball teams pass on the kid? Why were his only offers from FIU, UC, and a rebuilding Memphis team?
[/quote]

Kansas was after him for a while. But he had eligibility concerns, and they backed out.

[quote name='#22' date='25 November 2009 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1259116809' post='832976']
Why did all of the great college basketball teams pass on the kid? Why were his only offers from FIU, UC, and a rebuilding Memphis team?
[/quote]

So the trips he took to Maryland don’t count as them recruiting him? What about Kansas? They were on him hard and almost had him commit until they got Xavier Henry. UC was in it also but it just wasn’t publicized until the end. There were plenty of schools recruiting the kid……just because you don’t see the names on national publications or websites doesn’t mean jack.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='25 November 2009 - 01:05 AM' timestamp='1259120159' post='832987']
UC will probably come in 2nd in the big east to nova this year.
[/quote]

I doubt it. They have the potential to, but they're a young team. 2 Freshman, a Sophomore, Jr and Sr starting with the top reserves a freshman, a sophomore, a junior and finally Toyloy a Sr. They have insane depth though.

I actually think Syracuse or West Virginia may win the league over Villanova or at least have the potential to. I think Villanova, Syracuse, WV, UC and UCONN will battle it out for the top 5 spots in the B-East. Pitt is decent also, just lack offense but they'll play hard each game.

I know that Kansas, UK, Maryland, and UNC all looked at the kid, but withdrew interest after he took unofficial visits.

Anyway, I [i]do[/i] think that UC is one of the more underrated teams in the country, that Yancy Gates will be 1st team All-Big East and potentially 2nd team All-American. The will definately get a tournament berth, and finish 5th in the Big East behind Villanova, West Virginia, Louisville, and Georgetown.

[quote name='IKOTA' date='25 November 2009 - 11:59 AM' timestamp='1259164772' post='833060']
I doubt it. They have the potential to, but they're a young team. 2 Freshman, a Sophomore, Jr and Sr starting with the top reserves a freshman, a sophomore, a junior and finally Toyloy a Sr. They have insane depth though.

I actually think Syracuse or West Virginia may win the league over Villanova or at least have the potential to. I think Villanova, Syracuse, WV, UC and UCONN will battle it out for the top 5 spots in the B-East. Pitt is decent also, just lack offense but they'll play hard each game.
[/quote]

I think nova wins it. WVU is good but i think UC is better. Syracuse is good but they wont continue that domination once their schedule gets difficult in the heat of big east play. i really dont believe in uconn. their post game is kind of weak and their 1-3 are better defensive than offensive players.

[quote name='#22' date='25 November 2009 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1259171411' post='833083']
I know that Kansas, UK, Maryland, and UNC all looked at the kid, but withdrew interest after he took unofficial visits.

Anyway, I [i]do[/i] think that UC is one of the more underrated teams in the country, that Yancy Gates will be 1st team All-Big East and potentially 2nd team All-American. The will definately get a tournament berth, and finish 5th in the Big East behind Villanova, West Virginia, Louisville, and Georgetown.
[/quote]

I completely forgot about Louisville and should have mentioned them in my top 5 instead of UCONN. UCONN will be good, but probably 6th place is more accurate for them based on who they lost. They do have a strong backcourt though with K. Walker, Dyson and Stanley Robinson. Georgetown, seemingly has a good team on paper but will underachieve again and finish 7th IMO. Or even 8th depending on how Pitt's young players develop. It's a tough league.

And with Lance, Maryland offered him a scholarship until the whole UnderArmour factory situation happened. They retracted it. They would have been in big trouble with the NCAA if Lance did commit there. And again, there were ALOT of schools recruiting him but didn't allow the information to leak. Good get for Cronin and UC.

Should be a good game tonight vs Gonzaga.

[quote name='#22' date='26 November 2009 - 02:13 AM' timestamp='1259216039' post='833194']
That game should never have gone to overtime. Yancy was [i]clearly[/i] fouled.
[/quote]

Too true.

But I want to know why Lance had the ball at the end of regulation? If I were Mick I would have had it in Deonta's hands.

...though surely you've followed enough NCAA ball by this point to know that rankings before conference play are meaningless and will only make you feel worse when some unranked team comes in and knocks your team off.

I mean, the fact that a team that went to the NIT last year was ranked in the top 5 before they even played someone this year is ridiculos.

[quote name='#22' date='30 November 2009 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1259611866' post='835013']
...though surely you've followed enough NCAA ball by this point to know that rankings before conference play are meaningless and will only make you feel worse when some unranked team comes in and knocks your team off.

I mean, the fact that a team that went to the NIT last year was ranked in the top 5 before they even played someone this year is ridiculos.
[/quote]

I realize rankings right now don't mean much, but considering what this program has been through the bast 5 years, it's a positive step.