***Official UC Basketball Thread***

Khatmandude

The difference between Mick and Bob

Last night once UC got a big lead they got a little sloppy. Mick didn't seem to mind all that much. Bobby would have been pissed.

I'd like to see a little more Bobby from Mick.

Lance looks like it's finally coming together, he looked great last night even though he didn't score a whole lot. But Cashmere has not impressed me so far. Hopefully it's just rust.

Huggins, on past heart attack:

“I don’t think about it, because if you think about it, it has a tendency to bother you. Now, I’m going to tell you an interesting deal. When I was in the ambulance, the guy who was in there was Calipari’s cousin. John grew up in Coraopolis. It’s gospel truth. And his cousin was the guy in the ambulance. And there was a couple of things that went on. But basically what he said is we’re not going to let you die until John beats you at least once.”

[img]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/e/e9/Riveting_tale_chap.jpg[/img]

Seriously though, I kind of like this in the same way that I like Cal calling Bruce Pearl a "jagoff" in his presser the other day. It seems like college basketball gives us certainties that other sports will not. Sure, you can call Bill Belichick a cold asshole, but what about when he congratulates the other coach in his post game interview? What about that time that Brian Sabean actually made a [i]good[/i] move and drafted Twink Lincecum?

But in NCAAB, we are given the certainty that Huggins will be a dick until his dying day, that Bobby Knight is a mean and miserable man 24/7, Roy Williams could live in Mayberry, Bruce Pearl is like a hairy Jewish Lou Ferrigno, and that Cal is slick as shit (which is the case for most Italian coaches, I've come to notice).

Ibrahima Thomas will be eligible for the Crosstown Shootout. I think he'll get some minutes. He's been running with the starters in practice for close to a year now. I think he just has to get accustomed to the game again and he'll be a valuable player this year.

Lance Stephenson is special.......Gates can be if he ever decides to turn up his intensity. He's like the most gentle giant I've ever seen. Cashmere's getting his offensive rhythm.

[quote name='IKOTA' date='11 December 2009 - 03:22 PM' timestamp='1260559346' post='840342']
Ibrahima Thomas will be eligible for the Crosstown Shootout. I think he'll get some minutes. He's been running with the starters in practice for close to a year now. I think he just has to get accustomed to the game again and he'll be a valuable player this year.

Lance Stephenson is special.......Gates can be if he ever decides to turn up his intensity. He's like the most gentle giant I've ever seen. [b]Cashmere's getting his offensive rhythm.[/b]
[/quote]

I hope so, he has not impressed me at all so far.

[quote name='Jason' date='14 December 2009 - 11:07 AM' timestamp='1260797820' post='842247']
Alright Mick, it's time to do something about the free throw shooting. It is costing us games.

If it were me, I'd take 1 day a week where they do nothing but shoot free throws and run gassers. Repeat.
[/quote]

Seriously.........both losses this year are due to lack of ability to shoot free throws. Make your free throws and you're undefeated right now.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='30 December 2009 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1262226798' post='849800']
BULLSHIT call. Way to decide a great game ref. If anything he got fouled 2 seconds earlier. But there was no foul on Edwards or Oriakhi. [b] It's a rugby match for 39 minutes and 59 seconds[/b] and he calls that. :shakesfist:
[/quote]

Please, I saw plenty of touch fouls called against UC.

It was a bailout, and a clear instance where the ref needs to swallow his whistle - I'd think so if it went the other way. That's not to take anything away from UC but thats my opinion. Like I said, there was a legit foul on Dyson with about three seconds left that I wouldn't have had a problem with being called, but the foul that they did call wasn't there and was 3 seconds too late and therefore killed what little chance we'd have for a buzzer beater.

Also, UConn has no business being ranked #10, we're a 2 man show this year. It'll be tough sledding for us in the Big East.

FWIW, they're calling it a "bum call" on ESPN
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='30 December 2009 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1262226798' post='849800']
BULLSHIT call. Way to decide a great game ref. If anything he got fouled 2 seconds earlier. But there was no foul on Edwards or Oriakhi. It's a rugby match for 39 minutes and 59 seconds and he calls that. :shakesfist:
[/quote]

dude, come on. I didn't watch much of the game to know how it was called, but that was a foul.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='31 December 2009 - 10:26 AM' timestamp='1262269609' post='849918']
dude, come on. I didn't watch much of the game to know how it was called, but that was a foul.
[/quote]

If you look at the angle from behind it looks like he hit him, but on the side angle you can clearly see that he didn't hit his body at all, his arm was a good few inches away, close enough that he looks like he hit him from the other angle. But he got ball first and 90% ball throughout it, which should be enough for a no call at the end of a game. Not surprising or anything, but wrong in my humble opinion. The ref wasn't in the best position to see it that way, obviously I have the advantage of slow-motion replay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='24 February 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1267042084' post='865128']
i want mick cronin gone now. he sucks big time.
[/quote]

I've felt that way for a long time this year but I think the smart thing to do would be to give him his 5th year (next year). He took over a disaster of a situation and has at least brought UC to the middle of the B-East pack. At the time of him taking over, everyone expected an NCAA tourney team by his 5th year. Losing Vaughn will make this team better as he's a huge liability on defense and makes the offense stagnant when he runs the point. Also, next year Mick won't have the inexperience excuse to throw out there after losing close games.

Also, I think if he's fired after this year, there would be at least 2 transfers in Lance and Cashmere......who will both be counted on heavily next year to initiate the offense and score. I think it's in the best long term interest to keep him another year.

He'd better produce next year though.....

[quote name='IKOTA' date='24 February 2010 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1267048509' post='865146']
I've felt that way for a long time this year but I think the smart thing to do would be to give him his 5th year (next year). He took over a disaster of a situation and has at least brought UC to the middle of the B-East pack. At the time of him taking over, everyone expected an NCAA tourney team by his 5th year. Losing Vaughn will make this team better as he's a huge liability on defense and makes the offense stagnant when he runs the point. Also, next year Mick won't have the inexperience excuse to throw out there after losing close games.

Also, I think if he's fired after this year, there would be at least 2 transfers in Lance and Cashmere......who will both be counted on heavily next year to initiate the offense and score. I think it's in the best long term interest to keep him another year.

He'd better produce next year though.....
[/quote]

i would love if they went after a big name coach which im sure everyone wants that. i want us to be back on the map man. this was a Basketball college, now it's Football. don't get me wrong, im very happy with the football program and all, but we need to get our hoops back on son. i remember when i was a student and would stand in line for tickets and go see K-mart and Melvin go crazy out there. good ol days <_<