***Official UC Basketball Thread***

Khatmandude

No doubt about it, they're in the tourney after the Marquette win....now it's just trying to improve seeding in the B-EAST tourny and the big dance.

Win Sat vs Georgetown will mean for sure that they get a bye in the B-EAST tourney. A loss and they may still be able to have a bye depending on WVU, Georgetown, Marquette and Villanova results.

Nice job by the team this year to fight through alot of adversity. Hope they can continue to play with intensity.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1299191401' post='974903']
If Yancy plays the rest of the year the way he did against Georgetown and Xavier UC will be a team no one wants to face.
[/quote]

They cab beat any team in the country if Yancy plays the way he did against Xavier. He was out of his mind but it goes to show you how much talent he has. If he could maintain his level of intensity, he would be unstoppable. He just doesn't realize how big and strong he is. He's not going to realize it overnight but hopefully coming into next year he starts to figure things out.

A win Saturday against G-town would be huge.

Villanova's fading....but they're still a good team and could be dangerous in the NCAA tourney.

Should be a close game tonight vs USF but should be a win also. Then on to Notre Dame who is in contention for a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney. Would be a nice to avenge the loss to them earlier in the year when ND played with 6 players (refs wore ND jerseys that night, they were atrocious). It's good to be excited about the team in March again!

Good job Mick...he deserves some credit. HE took over a horrible situation at UC with only 2 scholarship players. Fielded a team pretty much made up of all JUCO's his first year and has built the program to this. Kudos little man!

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1299727139' post='976256']
I think there's little doubt that as of right now Danny Fortson was a better,harder working, and more productive player than Gates right now. But who do you think had/s more talent?
[/quote]

Fortson and Gates were equally talented IMO. Gates has better athleticism but Fortson had that knack of being able to position himself perfectly and had the absolute softest touch around the rim. Gates has more tangibles but Fortson's intangibles were pretty significant. They were also different types of players IMO with Fortson a classic back to the basket kind of guy whereas Yancy prefers to play as a faceup player.....well, up until about half way point of this year after he had a talking to with coaches. Fortson had the toughness and make it happen attitude that Yancy lacks up until this point. If you could combine Fortson's demeanor and attitude with Yancy's physical gifts....you would have a very special player.

They were/are both extremely talented though and if Yancy can continue to progress and carry over the momentum from this year to the offseason and next year....he could be absolutely unstoppable.

Should be a good game tonight vs ND. Shut down Hansbrough and Abromaitis's 3's and make the other players beat you...I think UC pulls this one out if they continue to play with the defensive intensity as they have been playng with recently. Their defense will dictate how well they play tonight.

Tough draw for UC. ND might be the hottest team in America right now. There starting 5 is incredible at playing inside-out. Looking forward to see them do some damage in the tourney.

I love the Big East tourny. It's basically a mini-NCAA tournament.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1300420527' post='977843']
Fuck you bastards!

If I wanted to watch the MSU/UCLA game I would have, that's why you are carrying all 4 games on 4 different stations!!!

:1018:

Nice game UC!!!
[/quote]

I was thinking the same exact thing...there's a channel DEDICATED to MSU vs UCLA.....if someone wanted to watch it, all they would have to do is change the damn channel themselves. Utter bullshit.

UCONN is the hottest team in the country right now....it's going to be an EXTREMELY difficult game to win. Their freshman are playing very well also. Going to be a tough game.

Nice season for the Cats.....exceeded expectations. Next year's team looks very nice....Cash, Dion, Killa, Jumping Jack and Yancy. We do lose leadership and depth with Bishop, Davis, Wilks and Thomas leaving but are bringing in a top 20 recruiting class as well as getting Kelvin Gaines from his redshirt.

The programs back on its feet now...5 yrs after the botching of the Huggins situation by Nancy Zimpher. No recruiting for 2 1/2 yrs can be fatal to a program but Mick's done a GREAT job in following his plan regardless of fan pressure. And he's doing it the right way with good kids who graduate and are good human beings.

• 7 months later...
[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1321404056' post='1062846']
Man, they are playing really sloppy so far tonight. If they play like this against Xavier or the Big East they will get lit up.
[/quote]

They have alot of new faces on the squad....I expect sloppy play for the first few games. Luckily it's Alabama St and Jax St they played sloppily against. Absolutely need to develop depth, as of right now, we have a 6 or 7 players we can rely on and that's pretty much it. In order to run the style of play Mick likes, we need another guy or two to step up. Justin Jackson dodged a HUGE bullet the other day in practice...he fell to the floor and the coachs thought he tore his achilles, a la Leon Hall, but it turned out to be a bruise. His loss would have crippled this team...he provides so much in terms of energy and hustle.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1321553999' post='1063350']

They have alot of new faces on the squad....I expect sloppy play for the first few games. Luckily it's Alabama St and Jax St they played sloppily against. Absolutely need to develop depth, as of right now, we have a 6 or 7 players we can rely on and that's pretty much it. In order to run the style of play Mick likes, we need another guy or two to step up. Justin Jackson dodged a HUGE bullet the other day in practice...he fell to the floor and the coachs thought he tore his achilles, a la Leon Hall, but it turned out to be a bruise. His loss would have crippled this team...he provides so much in terms of energy and hustle.
[/quote]

The veterans were playing sloppy though. The loss of Jackson would have hurt, particularly the depth, but it would not have crippled the team. When Mbodj gets back I think Jackson becomes #6 rather than starting. I just hope he's ready to go before the Xavier game.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1321717872' post='1063907']

The veterans were playing sloppy though. The loss of Jackson would have hurt, particularly the depth, but it would not have crippled the team. When Mbodj gets back I think Jackson becomes #6 rather than starting. I just hope he's ready to go before the Xavier game.
[/quote]
Wow, they were awful today.

Maybe this loss will be the wakeup call they need.