***Official UC Basketball Thread***

Khatmandude

Observations from the first half of tonight's game:

Offensively they still don't move well without the ball.
They are a mediocre shooting team.
They shot very well from the line.
They have a lot of guys who can handle the ball.
They are very long and athletic.

Second half observations.

Sean Kilpatrick is going to be great this year.
This team still has a habit of falling asleep when it gets a big lead.
Streaky shooters.
They seem to leave an open shooter on the perimeter quite a bit still.
This should be a good rebounding team.

• 2 weeks later...
Demolished GV State last night....good game all around but Kilpatrick looks dangerous this year. Hope this isn't his last year. LOVE Shaq Thomas and what he will bring. Cheikh, Rubles, Adam N, Gaines and Jackson hold up their end of the deal and this is a good team on the verge of being special. Good composition of players.

Good job keeping this thread going Jason, I'll pick up the slack. Was at the game last night so couldn't post.

True...but guys like Cash and Kilpatrick are missing their FT's....that will improve. Based on their history, it will. The low post guys are just bad FT shooters...that's going to take time but this team will be around 65% FT shooting I'd say. Parker will have the ball in his hands plenty at the end of close of games.

This is a good looking team though. Kilpatrick can score like crazy. The big guys have looked VERY good for this early....Rubles has to step it up...he's hindering the offense. Has J. Jackson progressed as a player in his 3rd year now? I don't see it. I still see the same crazy energy Freshman, unpolished on offense but spectacular in other facets of the game.

Can't wait until they play real teams.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1353464226' post='1182915']
I didn't think it was possible to win a game by 19 points and look awful doing it. But they were damn sloppy tonight.
[/quote]

I know right.....the defense was a mess. I think Mick's trying to get his preferred lineup settled but the defense looked atrocious last night. Breakdowns left and right. It looks as though we'll be able to score this year but need to score down low also. Mbodj and Nyarsuk have the potential but they're not there right now....not even close. I do like Mbodj's improvement from last season though.

Kilpatrick, Cash and Parker you don't have to worry about. The rest are still somewhat of a question mark. Shaq Thomas is going to be the wildcard IMO. He'll take over first off bench from Jermaine Sanders at the SF position by mid to end of season. He's really, really good.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1353726106' post='1183615']
Awesome game for Sean Kilpatrick (with a name like that shouldn't he be a red headed white kid?) and a win over a much tougher team.

UC actually won the game at the free throw line tonight. Good to see.
[/quote]

He was 16 for 16 I think from the line, his season FT % was 38.5% coming into the game. That's why I stated I wasn't worried about our free throw shooting in the long term as it was Killa, Cash and Parker missing FT's. The big guys are going to be ugly all season from the line with the exception maybe of Cheik Mbodj as he has a decent touch.

What a game....blew Oregon out in the first half and then did dumb stuff for the better part of 7 minutes. Justin Jackson is the same player he was as a freshman...he's gotta get smarter. He's valuable but commits stupid, unnecessary fouls. 2nd half was a nice slug fest with defense winning a majority of possessions. Rubles came through in a big way and is looking like the 3rd scoring option. Shaq Thomas played some good minutes and provides a dynamic that could be dangerous as he matures and becomes more comfortable on the court..maintains his composure. He's extremely talented. Legit NBA prospect. Gotta cut out the turnovers and the dumb choices that lead to them. Good win...wish they could have played UNLV but they can't control that...they beat who they did play. Alabama is next up....they're a really good team. UC should be ranked about #18 or so going into that game. Love watching this team but they have to cut out the long droughts on offense...teams will try to force them to play half court. Otherwise, they can be explosive in an up tempo game.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1354481579' post='1186960']
What a game! Cash came through in the end though they played very sloppy vs Alabama. Huge game for Mbodj...nice to see. I like how Sanders has progressed as well...he's a very solid player who plays defense, plays hard and doesn't make mistakes because he doesn't play outside of himself.
[/quote]

The one thing I don't get from the Alabama game. Justin Jackson on offense spent a lot of time standing outside the 3 point line. Why? I would not defend him at all standing out there, and it was essentially 4 on 5. Justin would be inside the paint as much as allowable for me.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1354813028' post='1189172']
The one thing I don't get from the Alabama game. Justin Jackson on offense spent a lot of time standing outside the 3 point line. Why? I would not defend him at all standing out there, and it was essentially 4 on 5. Justin would be inside the paint as much as allowable for me.
[/quote]

They're trying to get JJack to feed the post from that position and if the defender doesn't guard him, he's got the green light to shoot the 3. Mick has changed much of his strategy this year...a LOT of fast breaking and players have the green light to shoot immediately off a rebound and push. He was a superb passer but seems to have regressed. I just don't see development from him like I would like to see. Mbodj has progressed nicely so it's not the coaching IMO. It's desire from the player, the want to to get better. JJack could be a legit NBA prospect if he wanted to be.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1354822926' post='1189230']
They're trying to get JJack to feed the post from that position and if the defender doesn't guard him, he's got the green light to shoot the 3. Mick has changed much of his strategy this year...a LOT of fast breaking and players have the green light to shoot immediately off a rebound and push. He was a superb passer but seems to have regressed. I just don't see development from him like I would like to see. Mbodj has progressed nicely so it's not the coaching IMO. It's desire from the player, the want to to get better. JJack could be a legit NBA prospect if he wanted to be.
[/quote]

I really don't want him shooting 3s.

He reminds me a LOT of a young Kenyon Martin, but he hasn't taken the "next steps" that Kenyon took.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1354826734' post='1189257']
I really don't want him shooting 3s.

He reminds me a LOT of a young Kenyon Martin, but he hasn't taken the "next steps" that Kenyon took.
[/quote]

Kenyon didn't really become anything until tail end of Jr year and then his Senior year (played with USA team that summer prior to his Sr season) he absolutely blew up because he put in the work in the offseason. Kenyon had "it", whereas JJ doesn't seem to have the want to to get to an elite level. I hope he develops it because he has fantastic potential.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1354840372' post='1189324']
Damn they are sloppy with the ball. They need to clean that up before the Big East schedule starts.
[/quote]

Yeah they were, but I think playing a team who was also very sloppy kind of rubbed off on them. I do think Cash needs to be more careful with teh ball though....he's been struggling turning the ball over lately.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1354909365' post='1189479']
[b]Kenyon didn't really become anything until tail end of Jr year and then his Senior year[/b] (played with USA team that summer prior to his Sr season) he absolutely blew up because he put in the work in the offseason. Kenyon had "it", whereas JJ doesn't seem to have the want to to get to an elite level. I hope he develops it because he has fantastic potential.

Yeah they were, but I think playing a team who was also very sloppy kind of rubbed off on them. I do think Cash needs to be more careful with teh ball though....he's been struggling turning the ball over lately.
[/quote]

True, at least offensively. But he got better every year. For example, his FT% got better every season. But he exploded his senior year.