***Official UC Basketball Thread***

Khatmandude

Yeah, after reading the article he sounds like what Dontonio Wingfield was supposed to be. Or perhaps DerMarr Johnson.

But what I meant by "what Yancey was supposed to be" was a great player. Yancey was good, but he was never "great" on a consistent basis.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1360009382' post='1213018']
Yeah, after reading the article he sounds like what Dontonio Wingfield was supposed to be. Or perhaps DerMarr Johnson.

But what I meant by "what Yancey was supposed to be" was a great player. Yancey was good, but he was never "great" on a consistent basis.
[/quote]

I gotcha....very true, Yancy was supposed to be the guy that was going to dominate with his skill, size and agility combo. He didn't have ANY heart though until his Sr year pretty much.

Lawrence is going to be GOOD. He's fast as shit, athletic, quick, skilled but Mick will have to get him to understand how good he is and can be. I've heard over and over how nice of a kid he is and needs to get a little meaner.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1360100208' post='1213214']
So with Lawrence they are 1 scholly over, who do they "cut"? Or is someone leaving?
[/quote]

Mick will never "cut" someone....he's too classy for that. Even Tim Crowell in Mick's 2nd year, decided to leave on his own. That would be the only other applicable situation. Check your PM.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1360203811' post='1213380']
Providence?

Really?

wow
[/quote]

I know.....Providence is better than their record indicates but still.....went LONG periods in the game without scoring. They have ZERO offensive rhythm, make dumb mistakes. They've gotta get things figured out soon as the most important time of the year is fast approaching. Their upcoming schedule is also brutal with the only good news being that there are more home games than road.

• 3 weeks later...

Bearcats Basketball Unveils New Post-Season Uniform

Story.jpg

The Cincinnati Bearcats basketball team unveiled new post-season uniforms today on their Facebook page.

The uniforms, which feature camouflage type shorts, were designed by Adidas Hoops.

Let us know what you think of the uni's by posting your comments on our Facebook page! 

I don't mind the white ones, but the black ones are puke.

Notre Dame's like this are fucking hideous. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

BREAKING: UC gives hoops coach Mich Cronin contract extension http://cin.ci/Z3wavn  via @bkoch

I just saw that. I am actually disgusted by it. Mick isn't the answer for this team. He would be good for the likes of a team like

NKU or some shit but not a program like UC. We need a better coach than that. I am not happy at all with this.

BREAKING: UC gives hoops coach Mich Cronin contract extension http://cin.ci/Z3wavn  via @bkoch

This was inevitable.  Cronin was being talked about for openings at Minnesota, UCLA and others.  He's not going anywhere really because of his daughter living in Cincy but this is a nice gesture to show him he's wanted here.   I know he's been very frustrated with the lack of resources given to basketball vs football and the conference uncertainty.

I just saw that. I am actually disgusted by it. Mick isn't the answer for this team. He would be good for the likes of a team like

NKU or some shit but not a program like UC. We need a better coach than that. I am not happy at all with this.

I think Mick's OK as a coach...don't love him or hate him.  As a person, he's awesome but for the sake of his teams, he needs to find an offensive mind at Asst Coach.  D is fine, that's Cronin's specialty but he's got to find ways, creative ways, to get a team to score some points.  Adding better players will help which he has been doing the last few years.  Jermaine Lawrence was a huge signing.  Jamaree Strickland, Troy Caupain, Kevin Johnson....big signings as well. 

I'm sure he's a great person but I'm talking about being a coach Amir. I wish we could have moved on.

I get frustrated with him too as a coach, but when I think about it, he just may be the best person to be the HC at UC....short and long term. 

I feel you though...ask my brother how much shit I talk about Cronin during the games hahaha. 

He inherited a completely dismantled program and has now taken them to 3 straight tournaments.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

• 6 months later...

Justin Jackson named the #3 Breakout Player this year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=2086&ex_cid=espnapi_public

3. Justin Jackson, F, Cincinnati Bearcats
Senior, 6-8, 230

Jackson was a role player and energy defender a season ago, averaging 19 minutes and only 3.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game. He scored in double figures only once last season, but Bearcats coach Mick Cronin said "Jackson will be a walking double-double this year."

In particular, Jackson will be counted on for more offense, and he has the talent to deliver results. Jackson will get much of the playing time left by the departure of Cheikh Mboji.

• 2 weeks later...

JLaw def needs to get stronger but you can see how skilled he is already.   He can handle the ball as well, but he's got to get stronger.   I'm disappointed with Caupan....I thought he would be better than what I've seen of him.   I really wish K. Johnson gets the minutes Troy's getting currently because that guy is fast and has skills himself.  He's also skinny though and needs to get stronger but he's long, rangy, fast, quick.  And he's a natural PG unlike Caupain and/or Guyn. 

It's a fun team to watch though......I forgot about Shaq Thomas.....he's going to be VERY good by the time he graduates.   

Rubles is all around guy but his shot is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.  No 3's for him this year yet....hopefully it stays that way. 

Interior is the weak spot on this team with Jackson, Lawrence, Nyarsuk.  Kelvin Gaines as well, but if he comes in, it's bad news. 

Nice win vs an ACC team.