***Official UC Basketball Thread***

Khatmandude

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jay Bilas has UC 19th in his "poll".

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10251804/arizona-wildcats-top-jay-bilas-ranking-68-best-teams-college-basketball

Cincinnati can defend and rebound, but scoring has been an issue. However, Mick Cronin has Sean Kilpatrick outside and an improving Justin Jackson inside, and he is going to Jackson more and more. That's a good plan, because Jackson is delivering. The win at Memphis was impressive, as was the back-street brawl victory over Pittsburgh at Madison Square Garden. Cincinnati is a good team.

• 4 weeks later...

Huge emotional letdown today...BUT.....SK was sick as shit, didn't practice at all yesterday, as well as coming off of an emotional win at Louisville, this game had all the signs of a close game....especially vs S.F.  who matches up with UC very well and as a result of SF's length, UC is unable to do a few things they like to do. 

I knew today was going to be close.....there were too many factors pointing that way.   Good win though, UC is likely in the top 10 next week.   Some tough games coming up as well......vs UCONN, at SMU who is a very good team coached by a HoF coach.   That's UC's first loss in conference play IMO....at SMU. 

Getting J Lawrence back will help with depth if nothing else.

He's very close....has looked very good in personal workouts he's doing.   Definitely can provide JJ and Rubles a break, which would be welcomed.  Add his skillset, which is impressive, and he can make a positive impact in games as well if he can get his conditioning down.   That's going to be the hardest thing for him IMO....getting his wind. 

It worries me how injury prone he is though....all throughout his HS career and now his freshman year in college.....injury riddled. 

He's very close....has looked very good in personal workouts he's doing.   Definitely can provide JJ and Rubles a break, which would be welcomed.  Add his skillset, which is impressive, and he can make a positive impact in games as well if he can get his conditioning down.   That's going to be the hardest thing for him IMO....getting his wind. 

It worries me how injury prone he is though....all throughout his HS career and now his freshman year in college.....injury riddled. 

Who would you say his "upside" compares to?  He was one of the top rated recruits in the country, but did not play as much as the other top 25 recruits have, even when he was healthy.  If I did not know, I never would have guessed he was rated as highly as he was.

Good question....not quite sure.   He has much better handles than he's gotten to display, he has a very nice jumper and some good low post moves but am at a loss for a comparable player.   He grew 2 inches unexpectedly and kind of moved into a low post player role vs a do it all kind of guy he was thought to be when being recruited in HS.  

As far as not playing as much as other highly rated recruits.....again, due to injury.   He's been hurt every year.   He was finding a nice role on the team then suddenly his foot gives him issues...bone spurs.....and had to essentially rest his foot for the past month. 

Who would you say his "upside" compares to?  He was one of the top rated recruits in the country, but did not play as much as the other top 25 recruits have, even when he was healthy.  If I did not know, I never would have guessed he was rated as highly as he was.

How about Rashard Lewis?  Maybe that's the best comparison as of right now.....though more athletic than Lewis.   Luckily, we should see him vs UConn. 

Caupain has been a turnover machine the last 4 or 5 games.  He's scored in the red all those games.....with barely any positive plays to speak of.   Seems overwhelmed which is surprising.   Could have hit the wall but he's 18 yrs old.  There are really no walls when you're that young. 

I think this game at SMU is going to be the first conference loss....they're a tough, talented team who has been playing lights out.  Coached by a HoF coach who is bringing in strong recruits, highly rated guys.   Combine that with UC playing Thursday night, having to travel in these conditions.....sets up perfectly for a tough game. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I don;t think I am....we will see tonight at 7:30. 

• Upvote 1