At least 32 (plus gunmen) dead in Virginia Tech Shooting

Chris Henrys Dealer

BLACKSBURG, Va. — Shootings in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech left at least 22 people dead and seven or eight more wounded Monday before police killed the suspected gunman, officials said.

Police confirmed they had a suspect in custody, the university said on its Web site.

On the Web site, Tech reported the shootings at opposite ends of the 2,600-acre campus at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and said there were “multiple victims” at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

Government officials with knowledge of the case said there were seven to eight other victims.
Related to this article
Latest Comments Comments

* All the other news sources (CNN, CBC, etc...) are reporting at...
* If there were a bright side to this ( and there isn't ) it would...
* The repeated incident of school shootings in the United States...
* Hmmmm, Marcus Vick must have been back on campus.
* 7 reader comments | Join the conversation

The Globe and Mail

Students were asked to stay in their homes away from windows. The campus was closed and classes cancelled through Tuesday.

“There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on,” said student Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the building where shooting took place.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, “We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible.”

Officials ordered the campus closed, the second time in less than a year the 26,000-student campus was shut because of a shooting.

In August, 2006, the opening day of classes was cancelled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

[quote name='Actium' post='472910' date='Apr 16 2007, 12:37 PM']Wow, 22? Last I heard it was 1 dead, 1 wounded. Exposes how vulnerable we really are.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]It also exposes how sick and violent we are as well. -_- [/b][/color]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='472917' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:44 PM']:o

Any idea what this is about?[/quote]
Nope, but it appears to have involved multiple shooters/locations...
[quote](CNN) -- The Virginia Tech police chief said at least 20 people were killed in twin shootings on the Blacksburg campus Monday morning.

"Some victims were shot in a classroom," Chief Wendell Flinchum said, adding that the gunman was dead.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said university President Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

The attacks mark the worst school shooting incident since 1999 when Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado.

A hospital spokeswoman told The Associated Press that 17 Virginia Tech students were being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries.

Sharon Honaker at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center told CNN that four patients had been transported there, one in critical condition.

One person was killed and others were wounded at multiple locations inside a dormitory about 7:15 a.m., Flinchum said. Two hours later, another shooting at Norris Hall, an engineering building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported. (Watch police, ambulances hustle to the scene Video)

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on the 2,600-acre campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."

The reporter said there were "lots of students running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele.

Kristyn Heiser said she was in class about 9:30 a.m. when she and her classmates saw about six gun-wielding police officers run by a window.

"We were like, 'What's going on?' Because this definitely is a quaint town where stuff doesn't really happen. It's pretty boring here," said Heiser during a phone interview as she sat on her classroom floor.

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem." (Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs Video)

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

Madison Van Duyne said she and her classmates in a media writing class were on "lockdown" in their classrooms. They were huddled in the middle of the classroom, writing stories about the shootings and posting them online.

The university is updating its 26,000 students through e-mails, and an Internet webcam is broadcasting live pictures of the campus.

The shootings came three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='472917' date='Apr 16 2007, 12:44 PM']:o

Any idea what this is about?[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]I imagine that ultimatley, it was all about two crazy fucks who hated themselves and
everybody else.[/b][/color]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Per MSNBC, the gunmen took his on life and was not killed by police.

Based on the numbers of fatalities so far, this was the worst mass killing at
an American school or university, surpassing the University of Texas shootings
in 1966.[/b][/color]

Guest Whodey420
Man, this is really crazy. Just got home and off the phone with the wife and she told me
about it. They're saying 22 dead and 29 wounded on CNN right now. About all I've heard.
Total craziness though.

[quote name='Whodey420' post='472987' date='Apr 16 2007, 01:08 PM']Man, this is really crazy. Just got home and off the phone with the wife and she told me
about it. They're saying 22 dead and 29 wounded on CNN right now. About all I've heard.
Total craziness though.[/quote]

I think it's up to 32 dead now, as the mortally wounded succumb.

My dad's cousin is a prof there. Just spoke to her, and she is thankfully ok as they got a warning before she usually hits campus by 9 am.

But she confirmed what is being reported on the news channels that they had received a few bomb threats in the past week. Wonder if this was all related. Additionally, if there were bomb threats, wouldn't security be elevated? Then again, the bomb thread disruption / fake fire alarm during finals is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

It's on all the local news here, as well as MSNBC and CNN.

Really disturbing stuff. I know a lot of people that go or have gone to Virginia Tech. I hope that everyone is ok. :(
The creepy thing is that I applied to Virginia Tech about a year ago to tranfer out from community college to geta degree in engineering, and that the vast majority of the casuluties occured in a building that I would have probably be taking the majority of classes relevent to my major in.

Updated:
32 dead, 21 injured, 4 critical
shooter among the dead, possible suicide
ballistics has confirmed that one of the two pistols is a 9mm

There are some reports that the shooting this morning at A-J Hall and this one at Norris are related and commited by the same guy. There were approcximatel 2 1/2 hours taht seperated the two incidents.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/42.gif[/img] That is horrible news to hear and i know serveral people that go to VA Tech, I hope they are not any of the dead or wounded.

asian male with a 9mm and 16 round mags and vest with more clipped on to it was also in possession of a [s]DAO-12[/s] .22 [i](or another 9mm depending on who you trust)[/i] took out ex girlfriend then sneaked over to take out rage elsewhere. cheating girlfriends lovers classroom perhaps? cops were going into nearby buildings grabbing up all asian males. shooter killed self.

...just some words on the skreets

Archived