Kurdish Girl Stoned To Death

I'm in two minds about posting this...just amazed that so many hearltess bastards got involved. Talk about sick mob mentality. How the local security forces stood by and did nothing is just beyond me.

[quote]Du'a Khalil Aswad, a 17-year old Kurd who was being killed for having had a relationship with a Sunni Muslim boy

A 17-year-old girl has been stoned to death in Iraq because she loved a teenage boy of the wrong religion.

As a horrifying video of the stoning went out on the Internet, the British arm of Amnesty International condemned the death of Du’a Khalil Aswad as "an abhorrent murder" and demanded that her killers be brought to justice.

Reports from Iraq said a local security force witnessed the incident, but did nothing to try to stop it. Now her boyfriend is in hiding in fear for his life.

Miss Aswad, a member of a minority Kurdish religious group called Yezidi, was condemned to death as an "honour killing" by other men in her family and hardline religious leaders because of her relationship with the Sunni Muslim boy.

*Vid removed*[/quote]

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='IKOTA' post='485069' date='May 10 2007, 04:24 PM']Wow, you really shouldn't have posted the video and instead just the article IMO. That was sickening and wish I wouldn't have watched even a second of it.

Disgusting[/quote]

i'll take your word for it... i heard about this story a few days ago and even the title of the article made me sick to my stomach... how can religion/race/etc be so strong that a small girl is to blame for which sect of religion she decided to follow?

Yeah I took it off. Couldn't really watch it. Apologies.

I'm usually not a fan of online petitions, but this is one people should sign.

[url="http://www.stophonourkillings.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1587"]http://www.stophonourkillings.com/index.ph...le&sid=1587[/url]

[quote]In Bashika, Mosul, hundreds of men beat and stoned a 17 year old woman named Du'a Khalil Aswad to death, in a gruesome example of collective 'honour killing'. The woman, a member of the Yezidi religion which is practised by Kurds in Northern Iraq, ran away from her family to join an Arab Muslim man with whom she had fallen in love and had been meeting secretly, but he rejected her. Damned under the 'honour' code, for running away, for choosing outside her own community and for being ultimately rejected, Du'a had nowhere to go.

She stayed with a local Yezidi tribal leader for five days until she was convinced to return to her village on the understanding that she had been 'forgiven.' She was abducted and brutally murdered in front of hundreds of men by her relatives -- who stripped her body, beat and kicked her, and killed her by crushing her body with rocks and concrete blocks. These brutal and inhuman acts were filmed by the participants on their mobile phones and many of them have been circulating on the internet and from phone to phone. They show the participation of the police in this disgusting communal murder and the murderous excitement of the crowd as the girl's uncle, brother and cousin commit the grisly murder.

Islamist groups active in the area have sought to capitalise on this crime and are urging revenge attacks upon all Yezidis, claiming that she had converted to Islam and characterising the murder as a 'martyrdom' rather than an 'honour' killing. Women in the Middle East face patriarchal oppression and violence whether they are Muslim, Druze, Yezidi or Christian. 'Honour' killings are common amongst Kurds (the UN has recorded 40 honour killings in Kurdistan in 3 months in 2007) and public murders like this have been noted before: for example in the case of Semse Allak in the Kurdish region of Turkey. Islamists throughout Iraq seek to exploit the racial and religious divisions in the country; one mosque has declared a 'fatwa' against the Yezidi and 23 have been murdered. For this reason, prompt action to locate the relatives of the young woman and the police who failed to act is essential to restore peace and allow the Yezidi community to feel safe again.

Mirza Dinnayi, co-ordinator of the German-based Yezidi Democratic Community was devastated by this crime. "All Yezidi associations and leaders have clearly condemned this barbaric act," he said. Amnesty International is calling on the Iraqi authorities to investigate whether law enforcement officials were present but failed to intervene to prevent Du’a Khalil Aswad’s death by stoning, and to take urgent, concrete measures, including through legislative reforms, to protect those at risk of becoming victims of so-called “honour crimes." Today in Arbil there was a huge demonstration against this murder and 'honour' killings in Kurdistan in general.[/quote]

See the funny thing is that the Yezidi religion doesn't accept this behavior and is strictly a cultural issue which we have been discussing in another thread. These "people" who carried this out will be brought to justice...if not in this world; then for damn sure, before God.

Also, I find it funny that the petition article states that Islamists have been trying to exploit this event. I can guarantee you anyone who tries to exploit such a thing is surely not an Islamist by true definition.

I agree, this wasn't a post to criticize a religion or anything..I think it's a function of a completely male dominated society.., just amazed at the mob mentality that doomed the poor girl. It's like you and me could be heading down to the local store and then decide, "hang on, there's a stoning going on, let's join in"

Who the fuck thinks like that?

Guest BlackJesus

[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]I have known a few Kurds who I assumed were Yazidi from Northern Iraq - although they don't really talk about it and kept it pretty secret. I remember many of the Secular Kurds I knew would make fun of the Yazidis because they would say they were "afraid of the color blue". Also it is a common myth I remember in Eastern Turkey and North Iraq that Yazidis worship the Devil. When in fact he is a kickass peacock :ninja: .

I asked a Sunni Kurd about them once ... and he said that there was tension between the two groups (Yazidi Kurds and Sunni Kurds) because many Sunni Kurds felt that the Yazidis aligned with the baathists and Saddam to split the Kurds in the North.

Nevertheless .... this is a terrible story and it pains me to know that now many Westerners will read the headline and assume that the entire Kurdish population must be some barbarian horde stoning people to death ... when in fact I have found the Kurds for the most part to be the nicest, kindest, and warm people I have ever met ... not to mention the most secular, moderate, pro womens rights, and pro western, of all Muslims I have come across in the Middle East. [/b][/size][/font]

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='485089' date='May 10 2007, 06:43 PM']I agree, this wasn't a post to criticize a religion or anything..I think it's a function of a completely male dominated society.., just amazed at the mob mentality that doomed the poor girl. It's like you and me could be heading down to the local store and then decide, "hang on, there's a stoning going on, let's join in"

Who the fuck thinks like that?[/quote]

I'm sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that you were.......just making some observations, that's all.

Guest BlackJesus
[color="#4169E1"][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Also I would add that there are definitely some families in America where I could imagine if a white girl brought home a black boyfriend ... that she might wind up dead.

- Not to mention that the U.S. was having group lynchings of black men back when many of our grandparents were kids. So our society is not that far ahead even though we like to believe we are. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img] [/b][/size][/font][/color]

Guest BlackJesus
[color="#8B0000"][b]Maybe they were reading the Old Testament .... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img][/b][/color]

[color="#A0522D"][size=3][center][i]“Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and [b]the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die[/b]: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you." [/i]

[b]~ Deuteronomy 22:21[/b][/center][/size][/color]

The levels that extremists of any religion will go to never cease to amaze and shock me, even in this modern world of mass-media "shock warfare".
It is people like these that are so full of zealot-driven hatred that I am afraid of acquiring a nuclear or biological weapon, because they will not agonize over the loss of life in using it, and I'm pretty sure I know where those weapons will be directed.

Guest ONYX

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='485101' date='May 10 2007, 05:34 PM'][color="#4169E1"][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Also I would add that there are definitely some families in America where I could imagine if a white girl brought home a black boyfriend ... that she might wind up dead.

[color="#FF0000"]Thus coining the phrase,"Once you go black, you dont go back...........home" :ninja:
[/b][/color]

- Not to mention that the U.S. was having group lynchings of black men back when many of our grandparents were kids. So our society is not that far ahead even though we like to believe we are. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img] [/size][/font][/color]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Word[/b][/color][/quote]

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='485089' date='May 11 2007, 06:13 AM']I agree, this wasn't a post to criticize a religion or anything..I think it's a function of a completely male dominated society.., just amazed at the mob mentality that doomed the poor girl. It's like you and me could be heading down to the local store and then decide, "hang on, there's a stoning going on, let's join in"

Who the fuck thinks like that?[/quote]

People think like that. Don't fool yourself for even a second that the exact same thing couldn't happen in America. Mob mentality exists everywhere. Given the right circumstances it could easily happen in your own city. Go back less than 50 years in the US and whites were hanging blacks off trees like it was a game. Americans have got to be the most arrogant people on the face of this earth. We always like to act like we're so much better or so much further advanced than anyone else.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='485442' date='May 11 2007, 12:34 PM']People think like that. Don't fool yourself for even a second that the exact same thing couldn't happen in America. Mob mentality exists everywhere. Given the right circumstances it could easily happen in your own city. Go back less than 50 years in the US and whites were hanging blacks off trees like it was a game. [color="#FF0000"]Americans have got to be the most arrogant people on the face of this earth. We always like to act like we're so much better or so much further advanced than anyone else. [/color]
MULLY[/quote]

testify

Guest oldschooler
I saw the video yesterday. They kept kicking her, and throwing rocks at her.
Then she was trying to sit up, and someone drilled her in the head with a huge boulder.
She never moved again. Yet they still kept kicking and throwing shit at her.

It was sad.

Oh and she had on a dress or something like that. And during the pummeling that she was taking,
it would raise up exposing her panties. Some kind gentlemen was so concerned that he took it
upon himself to cover her bottom back up, several times.

It was really sickening and appalling. It`s something that will stay with me forever . . .

Archived