Wanna bet?

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
Just trying to get this off the ground.

I know a few of you had a thread going for the Kentucky Derby about how you were betting, and you sounded like you knew much more about sports betting than I do. I assume horses aren't the only thing you bet on.

Or everyone for that matter. If you look at the betting lines, what are your top 3 locks? My son-in-law won a couple of hundred dollars when we were in Vegas on a baseball trifecta. Picked 3 winners regardless of score and got great odds. I forget exactly what his bet/payoff was, just sayin' there are different ways of betting baseball.

NBA?

Anyone have a strong opinion about something we can bet on? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/19.gif[/img]

[img]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6919/emoticon20moneyre9.jpg[/img]

Nice thread BB...

100% lock of the week...but probably no one follows the sport here...

India will beat Bangladesh in Cricket in the test match being played right now, while England will beat the West Indies.

Bangladesh are an expansion team in this form of the game, while England are playing at home, against a young West Indies team that has just had major retirements and pretty much the whole squad hate each other.

Individually, the odds aren't great, but if you combo the bet, I got 1.82 to 1. And put $100 down.

Other bets I'm thinking of putting down for the weekend:

Senators to close out Buffalo...but odds aren't great.

I like the Suns tonight, especially at the 2.30 to 1 being offered on Bet365.com currently.

Might combo it with the other game...as a Nets / Suns parlay will pay 3.82 to win...but I'm not sure on the Nets / Cavs game.

Guest Tigris
My dad bets on horses over the net. He's a huge racing fan. He's owned many throughout the years himself. I'm not a big gambler unless it's something I can directly influence... as in "i bet you cant jump over that fence" or whatever.

Cricket!?!? I'd rather bet the grasshopper.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='488065' date='May 18 2007, 08:54 AM']Nice thread BB...
100% lock of the week...but probably no one follows the sport here...

India will beat Bangladesh in Cricket in the test match being played right now, while England will beat the West Indies.

Bangladesh are an expansion team in this form of the game, while England are playing at home, against a young West Indies team that has just had major retirements and pretty much the whole squad hate each other.

Individually, the odds aren't great, but if you combo the bet, I got 1.82 to 1. And put $100 down.
Other bets I'm thinking of putting down for the weekend:

Senators to close out Buffalo...but odds aren't great.

I like the Suns tonight, especially at the 2.30 to 1 being offered on Bet365.com currently.

Might combo it with the other game...as a Nets / Suns parlay will pay 3.82 to win...but I'm not sure on the Nets / Cavs game.[/quote]

So how did you do?

[quote]Might combo it with the other game...as a Nets / Suns parlay will pay 3.82 to win...but I'm not sure on the Nets / Cavs game.[/quote]

parlay = bet both games, both teams have to win? 3.82 to win = $1 bet wins you $3.82?

Right?

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='488705' date='May 20 2007, 03:06 AM']So how did you do?
parlay = bet both games, both teams have to win? 3.82 to win = $1 bet wins you $3.82?

Right?[/quote]

Not that great weekend BB. The Suns put up a stinker, although the Cavs won. However, I still lost the parlay.

You are correct about the combo / parlay bit. overall I think parlays aren't that great, but sometimes the odds multiplication factor is too good to pass up.

On the cricket side, both matches seem to be heading for draws due to rain affecting a lot of play, but I had bet on the series outcome, which I still think is a given as there are matches to play. England are tough at home and should win. And India were upset at recent one day cricket world cup by Bangladesh (there are two versions of the game, one played over 5 days, one over 1 day) Which would be like a Top 20 College team beating an NFL divisional champ. The Indian fans didn't handle it well, neither did their media, as on paper it's one of the strongest outfits in the world. So there is a full revenge factor here.

I did win in soccer and hockey though.

For the weekend:

NBA Combo $20 bet, return: 0
NHL: Senators to win: $20 @ 1.45 = $29 return
English soccer: FA Cup Final, Drogba to score for Chelsea at any time 3:1, $10 bet = $30 return
Cricket: Ongoing, $100 bet, matches ongoing.

So overall, $29+30-20 = +$39.00 on the weekend. on closed bets.

On this UK soccer board I check out, one poster started an ongoing thread about his drive to transform £20 placed with an online Uk gambling site into 50k. where he listed every bet he had placed on the day. Usually these things flame out within a day or two, but he had a great run for about a month, getting his balance up to about £5000 or so! And he was betting on ludicrous stuff...Turkish football / Sumo wrestling! He just hit a ridiculous hot streak. Before he cashed out and also had the thread deleted to hide his earnings from the UK revenue service...

We should get one going here, before nuking it come tax time :D

how do you guys know if you are getting good values for your bets, as opposed to placing on a surefire loser?

Would be interestng to know, since there are plenty of people that make a living doing this stuff. And as they say, a little knowledge in anything is dangerous, both in a good and bad way.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='489484' date='May 21 2007, 11:24 PM']how do you guys know if you are getting good values for your bets, as opposed to placing on a surefire loser?[/quote]

Good question.Also ,what exactly do those numbers mean under the money lines such as say a +160 or a -175?

[quote name='schotzee' post='491567' date='May 26 2007, 06:20 PM']Good question.Also ,what exactly do those numbers mean under the money lines such as say a +160 or a -175?[/quote]

The numbers just indicate how much you have to bet and how much you receive back.

An example of a money line…as usual lets say we’re heavily favoured vs. the Browns. So a money line might read,

Bengals -200 / Browns +180

This means that the Bengals were favoured. So if you bet $200 on the Bengals, you would receive $100 back.

The +180 for the Browns would mean that for every 100 bet on the Browns, you would receive $180 back.

The difference between the two odds, is the “vig” or the ‘juice” that bookies, bets houses take.

So in this case, if I was a bookie betting on the game and (this is only make up, it will never happen in real life), the Browns win, then I am collecting $200 from the people who bet on the Bengals, and paying out $180 to the people who bet on the Browns, keeping that spread of $20 for myself.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest schotzee
?.I wanted to place a bet on the nba finals game tonight.I have never bet in this sense before.When you go to bet ,you have a risk block with a number.I assume this number is the amount you would like to bet.Then there is a to win block with a number.What does that number mean?There is a default number that is there 0.95.I don't understand what number I would put there.

[quote name='schotzee' post='500253' date='Jun 14 2007, 09:43 AM']?.I wanted to place a bet on the nba finals game tonight.I have never bet in this sense before.When you go to bet ,you have a risk block with a number.I assume this number is the amount you would like to bet.Then there is a to win block with a number.What does that number mean?There is a default number that is there 0.95.I don't understand what number I would put there.[/quote]

interesting, it may populate the at risk money based on what you want to bet??

Well, I was gonna join up, but fucking BP put a 50 dollar hold on my Visa/ATM card for the 10 dollars worth of gas I got there and that drops me below 20 bucks in my account for, for at least a day or two. Most of my income is in the form of non-taxable cash (mostly, a shitload of one dollar bills...lol)...so this account never has much in it. Sadly, my fatass is too lazy to drive the 10 miles to the bank...lol

Guest schotzee

This is cool.I can't wait for the NFL to start to do some wagering.I placed a parlay in on womens tennis for tomorrow :P .Harkleroad & Wozniak $20 to win $115.Any one not already in should really get in on this :049:

[quote name='schotzee' post='503855' date='Jun 24 2007, 11:05 PM']This is cool.I can't wait for the NFL to start to do some wagering.I placed a parlay in on womens tennis for tomorrow :P .Harkleroad & Wozniak $20 to win $115.Any one not already in should really get in on this :049:[/quote]

B)

nice odds... i cant wait for some football games to start... make some sweet sweet cash i wanted to bet more on the finals but didnt have a chance, gives you something to care about in the offseason ^_^

Guest schotzee

[quote name='GoBengals' post='503861' date='Jun 24 2007, 11:38 PM']B)

[b]nice odds... i cant wait for some football games to start.[/b].. make some sweet sweet cash i wanted to bet more on the finals but didnt have a chance, gives you something to care about in the offseason ^_^[/quote]

Yeah<I thought so.Me too,thats the sport I follow the closest so I'll have a better idea on who to pick,especially ncaa football.

[quote name='schotzee' post='505343' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:00 PM']So far so good.About 40 to the positive side after a handful of wagers.Any good tips for today?[/quote]

doesnt ncaa football start soon? that might be worth a few solid wagers... it seesmt he UFC matches are heavy on the betting these days, but i know nothing about the fighters myself...

Guest schotzee
[quote name='GoBengals' post='505485' date='Jun 28 2007, 05:59 PM']doesnt ncaa football start soon? that might be worth a few solid wagers... it seesmt he UFC matches are heavy on the betting these days, but i know nothing about the fighters myself...[/quote]

I don't think it starts until late August.Don't know much about the fighters either.1 for 2 on WNBA games with one on tonight.Tennis is ridiculous to wager unless you have good feelings on a major underdog to win.To bet on Sharapova for instance it would cost you placing $100 to win $1.00 .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='682209' date='Jul 28 2008, 07:03 PM']I put my last 20 bucks on the Brewers 2nite w/ CC pitching. LOCK of the week. -172 $20 to win 13ish
(even though no one will read this)[/quote]

ha, eventually someone will read it..

ill be posting my weekly bets here during football season..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
:hugg: [u]Welcome back College football [/u]wagering.

My Bodog picks for the Thursday opener. :anticipate:

[b]Wake Forest -12.5[/b] playing @ Baylor
I like WF alot this year. I picked them to win both the ACC Atlantic Div. , and the ACC as a whole. We'll see.

Also

[u]Tonights 6 point teaser.[/u]

[b]Texas El-paso +9.5[/b] over Buffalo(they always suck)
[b]Vanderbelt +9.5[/b] over Miami OH

Lets make sum $

Scared of the rest of 2nites games.

See you for tomorrows picks.

Archived