** 4 GB RAM....... christ...

Sooooo... i noticed ram has dropped like a ROCK again and again, the upgrade from 1gb to 2gb when i got my pc was like $125, and to 4 GB was like $400, newegg had kingston 2 x 1 gb pc 5300 for $65 shipped, so i grabbed another two gigs..

is RAM overkill possible really with the core 2 duos? i can tell a difference especially with the media center. loads betweenscreens faster... etc..havnet tried photoshop with it yet..

so i now have 4 gigs

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz
4 GB ram
1 x 500GB SATA(on the way)
1 x 250GB SATA
1 x 200GB SATA(will soon replace 80GB with OS on it, scrapping the 80gb)

now i need a graphics card that doesnt suck...

one step at a time.. :thumbsup:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='500548' date='Jun 14 2007, 05:26 PM']Sooooo... i noticed ram has dropped like a ROCK again and again, the upgrade from 1gb to 2gb when i got my pc was like $125, and to 4 GB was like $400, newegg had kingston 2 x 1 gb pc 5300 for $65 shipped, so i grabbed another two gigs..

is RAM overkill possible really with the core 2 duos? i can tell a difference especially with the media center. loads betweenscreens faster... etc..havnet tried photoshop with it yet..

so i now have 4 gigs

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz
4 GB ram
1 x 250GB SATA

one step at a time.. :thumbsup:[/quote]
I need to upgrade to at least 2 gigs of RAM, as I have only one now.
The other upgrade I would like is to ditch the 256MB Radeon Express Vid Card that came with this machine and get a 512MB Nvidia or some such.
How do I determine what kind of RAM I have (I used to know, I forget, I drinkee too muchee) and what kind of vid card should I get?
I have an HP Pavilion, AMD 3700 processor (64 bit), 200 gigs of Drive space, a gig of RAM, etc....
And what's the deal with SATA and all the ther undecipherable computer lingo that old people have no clue about?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='500557' date='Jun 14 2007, 07:44 PM']I need to upgrade to at least 2 gigs of RAM, as I have only one now.
The other upgrade I would like is to ditch the 256MB Radeon Express Vid Card that came with this machine and get a 512MB Nvidia or some such.
How do I determine what kind of RAM I have (I used to know, I forget, I drinkee too muchee) and what kind of vid card should I get?
I have an HP Pavilion, AMD 3700 processor (64 bit), 200 gigs of Drive space, a gig of RAM, etc....
And what's the deal with SATA and all the ther undecipherable computer lingo that old people have no clue about?[/quote]

SATA is just a faster hard drive type. and loses the fat wide grey flat cables inside the machine with tiny flat ones, making it cooler, etc.. they transfer info like 10-30x faster i think (too tired to think of facts at the moment)

google search "sisoftware sandra lite"

its a program that will tell you evert detail of your pc, thats how i found out what ram i neeeded to match what i had...

Guest CincyInDC

[quote name='GoBengals' post='500548' date='Jun 14 2007, 07:26 PM']Sooooo... i noticed ram has dropped like a ROCK again and again, the upgrade from 1gb to 2gb when i got my pc was like $125, and to 4 GB was like $400, newegg had kingston 2 x 1 gb pc 5300 for $65 shipped, so i grabbed another two gigs..

so i now have 4 gigs

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz
4 GB ram
1 x 250GB SATA

what operating system are you running? 2^32 = 4 gigabytes, so any more than that is totally wasted unless it's on 64-bit hardware and OS. Not to mention the 2 gig limit/process in win32, which there are klunky ways around. Also check to see that your motherboard + BIOS supports 4 gigs. You might need to flash a BIOS upgrade to get it to work.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='500548' date='Jun 14 2007, 07:26 PM']Sooooo... i noticed ram has dropped like a ROCK again and again, the upgrade from 1gb to 2gb when i got my pc was like $125, and to 4 GB was like $400, newegg had kingston 2 x 1 gb pc 5300 for $65 shipped, so i grabbed another two gigs..

so i now have 4 gigs

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz
4 GB ram
1 x 250GB SATA

You fucking suck cock sucking mother fucker! I want!!!!! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img]

Nice box though so far my man, fucker....

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='500914' date='Jun 15 2007, 03:40 PM']what operating system are you running? 2^32 = 4 gigabytes, so any more than that is totally wasted unless it's on 64-bit hardware and OS. Not to mention the 2 gig limit/process in win32, which there are klunky ways around. Also check to see that your motherboard + BIOS supports 4 gigs. You might need to flash a BIOS upgrade to get it to work.[/quote]

yea, i cant imagine needing more than 4 on my desktop, but ya never know, the processor supports 64bit, but i heard many program issues with 64 bit windows so i did the 32 bit. the bios shows 4 gb, and the sisoftware system review thing shows 4 GB, but when i right click on my computer and check properties, it showes 3GB< ... so im a bit lost there, perhaps i should run the last bios upgrade again and see what flies?

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='501055' date='Jun 15 2007, 09:18 PM']You fucking suck cock sucking mother fucker! I want!!!!! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img]
Nice box though so far my man, fucker....[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Guest CincyInDC

[quote name='GoBengals' post='501081' date='Jun 15 2007, 11:34 PM']yea, i cant imagine needing more than 4 on my desktop, but ya never know, the processor supports 64bit, but i heard many program issues with 64 bit windows so i did the 32 bit. the bios shows 4 gb, and the sisoftware system review thing shows 4 GB, but when i right click on my computer and check properties, it showes 3GB< ... so im a bit lost there, perhaps i should run the last bios upgrade again and see what flies?

:thumbsup:[/quote]

That 3 gig thing is familiar...it's a Windows thing. You might have to do some boot.ini file switch (switch = /parameter where 'parameter' actually means something). Or maybe you have to use 2000 advanced server or some crap. Definitely check the maximum RAM utilization for XP Home or Pro (whichever you're using).

Tricking 64 bit Windows to successfully run 32 bit programs can sometimes be frustrating. I run into issues at work with the handful of 64 bit machines (desktop PCs and servers) we have. They tend to fall just short of what you really want them to do. Getting drivers for all your devices is a pain as well. I'm using reference drivers (written by the chip manufacturer) for a wireless ethernet card on my home pc.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='501088' date='Jun 16 2007, 12:06 AM']That 3 gig thing is familiar...it's a Windows thing. You might have to do some boot.ini file switch (switch = /parameter where 'parameter' actually means something). Or maybe you have to use 2000 advanced server or some crap. Definitely check the maximum RAM utilization for XP Home or Pro (whichever you're using).

Tricking 64 bit Windows to successfully run 32 bit programs can sometimes be frustrating. I run into issues at work with the handful of 64 bit machines (desktop PCs and servers) we have. They tend to fall just short of what you really want them to do. Getting drivers for all your devices is a pain as well. I'm using reference drivers (written by the chip manufacturer) for a wireless ethernet card on my home pc.[/quote]

im in vista home premium, which says its max is 4GB in the 32 bit version. i will have to google some things tomorrow and see what others have done to resolve the issue.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='501081' date='Jun 15 2007, 11:34 PM']yea, i cant imagine needing more than 4 on my desktop, but ya never know, the processor supports 64bit, but i heard many program issues with 64 bit windows so i did the 32 bit. the bios shows 4 gb, and the sisoftware system review thing shows 4 GB, but when i right click on my computer and check properties, it showes 3GB:thumbsup:[/quote]

That's just a thing with Windows. You'll still get the performance you paid for. No worries there.

Your just capped at 4 gigs with 32 bit. If you went 64 you could get as much as 128 gigs of memory in a box right now.

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='501518' date='Jun 17 2007, 08:40 PM']That's just a thing with Windows. You'll still get the performance you paid for. No worries there.
Your just capped at 4 gigs with 32 bit. If you went 64 you could get as much as 128 gigs of memory in a box right now.[/quote]

last i heard vista hadnt come out with the release canidate or service pack to support anything more than 3 gig. this was coming from a mac fan but im assuming he was correct. I remember hearing something about a 3 gig limit around the time of vista's launch.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='502140' date='Jun 19 2007, 12:17 PM']last i heard vista hadnt come out with the release canidate or service pack to support anything more than 3 gig. this was coming from a mac fan but im assuming he was correct. I remember hearing something about a 3 gig limit around the time of vista's launch.[/quote]

i read up more on it, it uses 4GB but 1 GB is dedicated to the kernal, and background resources and 3 GB for everything else, so your still getting 4GB just 1 GB doesnt show as its designated for other things, which would be coming out of the 4GB anyway, since vista ises like 800MB to run anyway, max your "losing" would be a few hundred MB, if any, so the mac fanboy was slightly mistaken ,but its microsofts fault for just not showing the whole 4gb in the properties tab, would ahve saved themselves a lot of questions and long winded answers.

Archived