Is this illegal?

Okay, So i got offered a job here in Orlando for the summer so i decided to take it and stay all summer here.
I don't know if any of you are familiar with the store Claire's, but anyway so i filled out the application took the survey quiz and all, and i saw where it said you had to be 18.
They didn't ask, and i didn't tell.
The manager asked for my Social security card and license and she looked right at it...and on Oklahoma licenses it says UNDER 18 UNTILL: (your 18th b-day)
but she didnt catch it.
and i got hired.
Did i do any illegal?

Probably not illegal. I'm assuming the "No one under 18" rule is the store's policy and not a law on the books. The only thing I could say is that when they find out they'll let you go. Now you have to look at it like this. Do you care if you lose that job? It surely doesn't look good on a resume', but then again you don't ever have to put that you worked there on any future job applications. Next thing is this, do you want to work there? If so, you'd probably be better off telling them the truth and letting the pieces fall where they may. At least if they don't take you now they'll see your honesty and hire you again in the future. If they catch you lying.....or not being forthcoming with information, that door will be closed for you.

If your 18th is coming soon, and you're honest with them, they may decide to go against their policy for "that honest young woman" and give you the summer job anyway. Being truthful shows maturity too. Either way, they have your SS number. It's only a matter of time until they realize you're under 18.
MULLY
let us know what happens

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='501684' date='Jun 18 2007, 09:37 AM']Okay, So i got offered a job here in Orlando for the summer so i decided to take it and stay all summer here.
I don't know if any of you are familiar with the store Claire's, but anyway so i filled out the application took the survey quiz and all, and i saw where it said you had to be 18.
They didn't ask, and i didn't tell.
The manager asked for my Social security card and license and she looked right at it...and on Oklahoma licenses it says UNDER 18 UNTILL: (your 18th b-day)
but she didnt catch it.
and i got hired.
Did i do any illegal?[/quote]

As long as you weren't taking a bong hit or drinking a margarita during the same time... then I'd say no.

:ninja:

In all reality, you need to tell them. If something comes up at a later date (someone else stealing, money missing...etc) they look for someone to blame. They check your application and notice that you "lied" about being 18.... WALLAH!... instant scapegoat.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='501685' date='Jun 18 2007, 09:47 AM']Probably not illegal. I'm assuming the "No one under 18" rule is the store's policy and not a law on the books. The only thing I could say is that when they find out they'll let you go. Now you have to look at it like this. Do you care if you lose that job? It surely doesn't look good on a resume', but then again you don't ever have to put that you worked there on any future job applications. Next thing is this, do you want to work there? If so, you'd probably be better off telling them the truth and letting the pieces fall where they may. At least if they don't take you now they'll see your honesty and hire you again in the future. If they catch you lying.....or not being forthcoming with information, that door will be closed for you.

If your 18th is coming soon, and you're honest with them, they may decide to go against their policy for "that honest young woman" and give you the summer job anyway. Being truthful shows maturity too. Either way, they have your SS number. It's only a matter of time until they realize you're under 18.
MULLY
let us know what happens[/quote]

Yah i know, but i mean they never even made it clear to me that you had to be 18, so i dont know.
I only plan on working for a month and a half though.
The assitant manager knows im 17. We're friends. She actually told me to tell the manager i was 18, but i didn't.

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='501688' date='Jun 18 2007, 10:52 PM']Yah i know, but i mean they never even made it clear to me that you had to be 18, so i dont know.
I only plan on working for a month and a half though.
The assitant manager knows im 17. We're friends. She actually told me to tell the manager i was 18, but i didn't.[/quote]

Look, OG, I'm not trying to come down on you about this but if you're going to try to justify doing the wrong thing when everyone is telling you not to do it then don't bother even asking for advice. As for them not making it clear to you let me tell you one little phrase that sticks through no matter what "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." It said it on the paper. You are responsible for reading that paper. It's not their responsibility to make it clear to you. No matter how unfair that sounds that is how the world works. As for your friend, the asst. mgr, don't let her get you into an uncomfortable situation. Someone else even mentioned something about *if* money goes missing. If something was to happen and they found out you weren't truthful with them about your age then you would be a scapegoat. Simple as that.

You *KNOW* what the right thing to do is. Stop trying to justify doing the wrong thing. That's part of being an adult. I never in my life thought I'd say these next words to someone but here goes, One of these days you'll look back on this and say to yourself "Yeah, MULLY was right."
MULLY
My dad always used to say that to me and only recently do I understand what he meant. Took me 39 years to figure it out.

[color="#FF0000"][b]OG,

If you only plan to work there for just a few weeks. Go ahead and work there.
You didn't lie and tell them you were not 18.....right? You showed them your ID,
and they dropped the ball for not catching it.

Go ahead and make your money girlfriend.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='501745' date='Jun 18 2007, 11:29 AM']Look, OG, I'm not trying to come down on you about this but if you're going to try to justify doing the wrong thing when everyone is telling you not to do it then don't bother even asking for advice. As for them not making it clear to you let me tell you one little phrase that sticks through no matter what "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." It said it on the paper. You are responsible for reading that paper. It's not their responsibility to make it clear to you. No matter how unfair that sounds that is how the world works. As for your friend, the asst. mgr, don't let her get you into an uncomfortable situation. Someone else even mentioned something about *if* money goes missing. If something was to happen and they found out you weren't truthful with them about your age then you would be a scapegoat. Simple as that.

You *KNOW* what the right thing to do is. Stop trying to justify doing the wrong thing. That's part of being an adult. I never in my life thought I'd say these next words to someone but here goes, One of these days you'll look back on this and say to yourself "Yeah, MULLY was right."
MULLY
My dad always used to say that to me and only recently do I understand what he meant. Took me 39 years to figure it out.[/quote]

well said

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='501745' date='Jun 18 2007, 11:29 AM']Look, OG, I'm not trying to come down on you about this but if you're going to try to justify doing the wrong thing when everyone is telling you not to do it then don't bother even asking for advice. As for them not making it clear to you let me tell you one little phrase that sticks through no matter what "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." It said it on the paper. You are responsible for reading that paper. It's not their responsibility to make it clear to you. No matter how unfair that sounds that is how the world works. As for your friend, the asst. mgr, don't let her get you into an uncomfortable situation. Someone else even mentioned something about *if* money goes missing. If something was to happen and they found out you weren't truthful with them about your age then you would be a scapegoat. Simple as that.

MULLY
My dad always used to say that to me and only recently do I understand what he meant. Took me 39 years to figure it out.[/quote]

I'm not sure what I'm gunna do yet i start the 26th so i have a little bit to figure it out.
[quote name='sneaky' post='501794' date='Jun 18 2007, 03:20 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]OG,

If you only plan to work there for just a few weeks. Go ahead and work there.
You didn't lie and tell them you were not 18.....right? You showed them your ID,
and they dropped the ball for not catching it.
Go ahead and make your money girlfriend.[/b][/color][/quote]

yah making 10 an hour. hard to pass up....

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='501817' date='Jun 18 2007, 04:07 PM']I'm not sure what I'm gunna do yet i start the 26th so i have a little bit to figure it out.
[b]yah making 10 an hour. hard to pass up[/b]....[/quote]

What is the monetary value of integrity?

[quote name='Actium' post='501853' date='Jun 18 2007, 03:39 PM']I'd sell out too if anyone wanted to buy.[/quote]
Ahh, the sad plight of the poor, idealistic young lawyer that still retains the rights of ownership of his soul....

[quote name='Bunghole' post='501854' date='Jun 18 2007, 04:49 PM']Ahh, the sad plight of the poor, idealistic young lawyer that still retains the rights of ownership of his soul....[/quote]

Idealistic? no way. Incompetent is more like it

[quote name='Actium' post='501855' date='Jun 18 2007, 03:51 PM']Idealistic? no way. Incompetent is more like it[/quote]
You're only incompetent if a lack of competency can be measured against the amount of time spent on an internet messageboard.
Other than that, you're all good... :D

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='501817' date='Jun 18 2007, 04:07 PM']yah making 10 an hour. hard to pass up....[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Girl, this aint no after-school special.

It aint like you are dancing on a pole.....psssss......go ahead and make that money girl.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='501885' date='Jun 19 2007, 07:50 AM']OG Mully is right. If nothing else talk to your asst. Mananger friend and clear it with him/her.[/quote]

Fair enough on that one. At least if the shit hits the fan it can blow in her direction and not yours.
MULLY

[quote name='ONYX' post='501893' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:05 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Girl, this aint no after-school special.

It aint like you are dancing on a pole.....psssss......go ahead and make that money girl.[/b][/color][/quote]

Reminds me of that thing that Chris Rock says about his only job as a father is to keep his daughter off the pole. :D

[quote name='sneaky' post='501893' date='Jun 19 2007, 08:05 AM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Girl, this aint no after-school special.

It aint like you are dancing on a pole.....psssss......go ahead and make that money girl.[/b][/color][/quote]

This is the advice you were seeking.
MULLY

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='501896' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:09 PM']Reminds me of that thing that Chris Rock says about his only job as a father is to keep his daughter off the pole. :D[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='501898' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:12 PM']This is the advice you were seeking.
MULLY[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='501885' date='Jun 18 2007, 06:50 PM']OG Mully is right. If nothing else talk to your asst. Mananger friend and clear it with him/her.[/quote]
True that she was being a bitch yesterday too. I went in there to give them copies of my ID and SS card. She had a major attitude, so if she keeps it up i may just let it slip "Oh but Melissa told me to tell you I was 18 she said you wouldn't carrrrre." Yah teach her to fuck with me.

[quote name='sneaky' post='501893' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:05 PM'][color="#FF0000"]Girl, this aint no after-school special.

It aint like you are [b]dancing on a pole[/b].....psssss......go ahead and make that money girl.[/color][/quote]

That's an idea...... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img]
More money, less work.... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img]

:ninja:

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='502094' date='Jun 19 2007, 09:13 AM']True that she was being a bitch yesterday too. I went in there to give them copies of my ID and SS card. She had a major attitude, so if she keeps it up i may just let it slip "Oh but Melissa told me to tell you I was 18 she said you wouldn't carrrrre." Yah teach her to fuck with me.
That's an idea...... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img]
More money, less work.... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img]
:ninja:[/quote]

Honesty is the best policy here. You dont want to trap yourself into being the scapegoat if somthing bad happens.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='502162' date='Jun 19 2007, 01:23 PM']No offense here, but it seems like you are being a bit immature on the subject. Perhaps that is why the company policy is to only hire those 18 and over....to avoid that.

If your friend is doing you a "favor" by lying for you so you can get a job I think it is inappropriate to use that against her to get her in trouble when you are just as much at fault for the whole thing in the first place for being dishonest yourself.

Maybe asking an adult friend or family member may be the smartest course of action.....I am guessing they may know more about the situation then your internet friends.[/quote]

x2

Archived