Is this illegal?

they need to know, there are different labor laws for minors and adults, if they dont give you the 300 breaks an hour that minors are required to have, they could get in serious trouble. you wont be, but they will, and certainly be fired, but being fired from "claires" is about as serious as not finishing a cheeseburger at mcdonalds.

2ndly there must be better paying less boring jobs, even for a 17 yr old, i cant imagine the pay is worth a damn..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='502173' date='Jun 19 2007, 02:01 PM']they need to know, there are different labor laws for minors and adults, if they dont give you the 300 breaks an hour that minors are required to have, they could get in serious trouble. you wont be, but they will, and certainly be fired, [b]but being fired from "claires" is about as serious as not finishing a cheeseburger at mcdonalds.[/b][/quote]
[color="#FF0000"][b]
Agreed.[/b][/color]

[quote]2ndly there must be better paying less boring jobs, even for a 17 yr old, i cant imagine the pay is worth a damn..[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]I dont know about the job market in Florida but a 17 year old making $10 an hour at a department store
sounds awfully damn good if it was in Ohio.....especially when adults with families struggle to find jobs paying
that kind of money.[/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='502176' date='Jun 19 2007, 02:07 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]
Agreed.[/b][/color]
[color="#FF0000"][b]I dont know about the job market in Florida but a 17 year old making $10 an hour at a department store
sounds awfully damn good if it was in Ohio.....especially when adults with families struggle to find jobs paying
that kind of money.[/b][/color][/quote]

sneaky... I must tell you that I take EXTREME exception with the statement about where you're from under your avatar...
"A plantation called Cincinnati" indeed!

It's no where near as nice as a plantation would be, and there is no way in hell that you have a chance to "sleep in da big house" in Cincinnati...

:ninja:

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='502162' date='Jun 19 2007, 01:23 PM']No offense here, but it seems like you are being a bit immature on the subject. Perhaps that is why the company policy is to only hire those 18 and over....to avoid that.

If your friend is doing you a "favor" by lying for you so you can get a job I think it is inappropriate to use that against her to get her in trouble when you are just as much at fault for the whole thing in the first place for being dishonest yourself.

Maybe asking an adult friend or family member may be the smartest course of action.....I am guessing they may know more about the situation then your internet friends.[/quote]
I was kidding about telling on her, I'm not stupid. SERIOUSLY, i get it it's dishonest, but hell i didn't say "IM 18!" in fact i didn't state anything untruthful in any of the documents i signed. ALL my informationwas correct. When she offered the job, she NEVER said once i had to be 18, then i filled that stuff out when i got hired and happened to see "must be 18". Honestly, I don't blame myself, they made assumptions that shouldnt have been made. It's their job to make sure they hire someone of age. Not mine. I get the fact it's somewhat dishonest, but damn its 10 bucks an hour, and I'll be there for the remainder of the summer. If I get fired, then i get fired. I'll deal with it.

[quote name='sneaky' post='502176' date='Jun 19 2007, 02:07 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]
Agreed.[/b][/color]
that kind of money.[/b][/color][/quote]

Exactly what I'm saying.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='502162' date='Jun 19 2007, 01:23 PM']No offense here, but it seems like you are being a bit immature on the subject. [b]Perhaps that is why the company policy is to only hire those 18 and over....to avoid that. [/b]

If your friend is doing you a "favor" by lying for you so you can get a job I think it is inappropriate to use that against her to get her in trouble when you are just as much at fault for the whole thing in the first place for being dishonest yourself.

Maybe asking an adult friend or family member may be the smartest course of action.....I am guessing they may know more about the situation then your internet friends.[/quote]

The reason the you have to be 18 is because you pierce peoples ears.
And you have a key, and you close and open, and you deposit money.
maturity isnt the issue i believe.
Although, i could be wronnng.

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='502214' date='Jun 19 2007, 02:58 PM']I was kidding about telling on her, I'm not stupid. SERIOUSLY, i get it it's dishonest, but hell i didn't say "IM 18!" in fact i didn't state anything untruthful in any of the documents i signed. ALL my informationwas correct. When she offered the job, she NEVER said once i had to be 18, then i filled that stuff out when i got hired and happened to see "must be 18". Honestly, I don't blame myself, they made assumptions that shouldnt have been made. It's their job to make sure they hire someone of age. Not mine. I get the fact it's somewhat dishonest, but damn its 10 bucks an hour, and I'll be there for the remainder of the summer. If I get fired, then i get fired. I'll deal with it.
Exactly what I'm saying.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

Thats what I'm talking about. You have given them the proper identification, you have not lied
about your age, so if they hire you, it's on them. Fuck Claire, go ahead and make that summer cash
girl.

The irony to me about this entire situation is Claire has a policy against hiring minors but I'm sure a
good portion of the shit they sell are made in Asian sweat shops where 8 year olds work 16 hour days
for 2 cents an hour.[/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='502223' date='Jun 19 2007, 03:11 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//41.gif[/img]

Thats what I'm talking about. You have given them the proper identification, you have not lied
about your age, so if they hire you, it's on them. Fuck Claire, go ahead and make that summer cash
girl.

The irony to me about this entire situation is Claire has a policy against hiring minors but I'm sure a
good portion of the shit they sell are made in Asian sweat shops where 8 year olds work 16 hour days
for 2 cents an hour.[/b][/color][/quote]

sneaky let's take over the world.

:headbang:

[color="#FF0000"][b]Ok, lets make this thread more interesting.

Lets flip the script on all here who say OG should not take the job or tell her employers her age.

Lets say one of you received a job offer making substantially more than you are making now. The
problem is, even though you did not lie verbally and did not lie on your resume, your new employer
thinks you have a required qualification that you do not have.

You can do the job and if you do not mention it, your employer will likely never find out.

So what do you do?

Lets hear it.[/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='502229' date='Jun 19 2007, 03:28 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Ok, lets make this thread more interesting.

Lets flip the script on all here who say OG should not take the job or tell her employers her age.

Lets say one of you received a job offer making substantially more than you are making now. The
problem is, even though you did not lie verbally and did not lie on your resume, your new employer
thinks you have a required qualification that you do not have.

You can do the job and if you do not mention it, your employer will likely never find out.

So what do you do?

Lets hear it.[/b][/color][/quote]

Karmas a bitch bro, and the one thing that you've got that ONLY YOU can give away is your personal integrity. If it's not important to you to be able to respect that man/woman looking back at you in the mirror, then so be it. I also have the personal opinion that I won't be a hypocrite... telling my kids to be honest when I wasn't.

I'd let the employer know and let him/her make the decision... as a matter of fact, I lost a job because of a situation just like that. Right after I retired from the Navy I was contacted about a job in the defense department that had to do with what I did for the Navy for 20 years.... Naval Weapons Systems. I was a perfect fit for the job that this company was bidding on, and they submitted my resume as part of their bid. The company won the contract and I was brought in to start my processing through the HR department. Within the first two hours, it became clear to me that they thought I had a Bachelors degree. I didn't, although I was within a year of getting it...and I was honest and told them about it.

I didn't get the job, as the customer (the government) had a prerequisite that the position had to have the degree. I lost about 20 G's a year when I lost that job... OUCH!

It all worked out in the end, but the point is that I still had my personal integrity, morals, and ethics intact and was a man of my word.

I guess it all boils down to it being mind over matter...

"If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"

I have to agree with sneaky on this one....

Its fucking Claires! We aint talkin' bout workingfor the CIA, we talkin' bout Claires. Claires! Not the CIA, not the CIA, not the CIA, we talkin' bout Claires. Claires! Claires. You may have hid one thing about your age to Claires. If you aint 18 you aint 18. It aint about that. We talkin' bout Claires. We in hear talkin bout Claires. Not the CIA, not the CIA, not the CIA, where you go out and play every workday for your life, We talking bout Claires man. What are we talkin bout, man? We talking bout Claires, man. When you come into Claires and Im workin, you see me working... I hear what your saying, I hear what your saying. We aint talking bout a career move hear, man, we talking bout Claires. We talkin bout Claires, man. How you gonna talk to me about Claires man? We talking bout Claires!

Love,
Allen Iverson

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='502241' date='Jun 19 2007, 03:42 PM']Karmas a bitch bro, and the one thing that you've got that ONLY YOU can give away is your personal integrity. If it's not important to you to be able to respect that man/woman looking back at you in the mirror, then so be it. I also have the personal opinion that I won't be a hypocrite... telling my kids to be honest when I wasn't.

I'd let the employer know and let him/her make the decision... as a matter of fact, I lost a job because of a situation just like that. Right after I retired from the Navy I was contacted about a job in the defense department that had to do with what I did for the Navy for 20 years.... Naval Weapons Systems. I was a perfect fit for the job that this company was bidding on, and they submitted my resume as part of their bid. The company won the contract and I was brought in to start my processing through the HR department. Within the first two hours, it became clear to me that they thought I had a Bachelors degree. I didn't, although I was within a year of getting it...and I was honest and told them about it.

I didn't get the job, as the customer (the government) had a prerequisite that the position had to have the degree. I lost about 20 G's a year when I lost that job... OUCH!

It all worked out in the end, but the point is that I still had my personal integrity, morals, and ethics intact and was a man of my word.

I guess it all boils down to it being mind over matter...

"If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]You are a very noble man full of integrity. I respect that. God bless you.[/b][/color]

[quote name='big_dish' post='502244' date='Jun 19 2007, 03:44 PM']I have to agree with sneaky on this one....

Its fucking Claires! We aint talkin' bout workingfor the CIA, we talkin' bout Claires. Claires! Not the CIA, not the CIA, not the CIA, we talkin' bout Claires. Claires! Claires. You may have hid one thing about your age to Claires. If you aint 18 you aint 18. It aint about that. We talkin' bout Claires. We in hear talkin bout Claires. Not the CIA, not the CIA, not the CIA, where you go out and play every workday for your life, We talking bout Claires man. What are we talkin bout, man? We talking bout Claires, man. When you come into Claires and Im workin, you see me working... I hear what your saying, I hear what your saying. We aint talking bout a career move hear, man, we talking bout Claires. We talkin bout Claires, man. How you gonna talk to me about Claires man? We talking bout Claires!

Love,
Allen Iverson[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Good one. :thumbsup: [/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='502245' date='Jun 19 2007, 03:54 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]You are a very noble man full of integrity. I respect that. God bless you.[/b][/color]
[color="#FF0000"][b]Good one. :thumbsup: [/b][/color][/quote]

I wouldn't go TOO far with that noble stuff... If they would've said that I could work there... then hell yeah I would've taken the 20 G's and run. I have my morals and ethics... but I'm NOT stupid! Of course.... it would've been on the employers ass then and not mine. :thumbsup:

Flattery also works with me, but I still ain't gonna let you sleep in da big house!
Now back to the cotton fields wit ya!

:ninja:

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='502249' date='Jun 19 2007, 04:08 PM']I wouldn't go TOO far with that noble stuff... If they would've said that I could work there... then hell yeah I would've taken the 20 G's and run. I have my morals and ethics... but I'm NOT stupid! Of course.... it would've been on the employers ass then and not mine. :thumbsup:

Flattery also works with me, but I still ain't gonna let you sleep in da big house!
Now back to the cotton fields wit ya!
:ninja:[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Fucker. ^_^ [/b][/color]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='502247' date='Jun 19 2007, 04:02 PM']If they dont find out now, they will find out when they have to file your taxes and if you want to come back and work there again next summer before you start college then forget it.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]But Jamie, by next summer she can dance on the pole if she wants to. :contract:

:ninja: [/b][/color]

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='502214' date='Jun 20 2007, 03:58 AM']I was kidding about telling on her, I'm not stupid. SERIOUSLY, i get it it's dishonest, but hell i didn't say "IM 18!" in fact i didn't state anything untruthful in any of the documents i signed. ALL my informationwas correct. When she offered the job, she NEVER said once i had to be 18, then i filled that stuff out when i got hired and happened to see "must be 18". Honestly, I don't blame myself, they made assumptions that shouldnt have been made. It's their job to make sure they hire someone of age. Not mine. I get the fact it's somewhat dishonest, but damn its 10 bucks an hour, and I'll be there for the remainder of the summer. If I get fired, then i get fired. I'll deal with it.
Exactly what I'm saying.[/quote]

See, there it is right there. You don't want advice. You want all of us to jump in and say "Fuck them, it's their mistake. Take that job, baby!" Have you noticed the advice you're getting is 99.9% do the right thing and then sneaky saying what you want to hear. Funny how you brush off the 50 posts telling you not to do it and then jump on the train for the 1 person taking your side in it.

Like I said, you don't want advice......at least not the advice you don't want to hear.

Take the job, OG. Go off and be merry and prosperous.
MULLY

Guest BengalBacker
For me, the closest thing to hell that I know exists, is a guilty conscience.

If you feel guilty for doing it, you'll be paranoid the whole time you're there and you probably won't like the job. The consequences aren't really that you might lose the job. It's more that you might have to admit that you lied, to someone who had enough faith in you to hire you. If you have a conscience, you'll have to feel some shame if that happens.

I don't know if it's unusual or not, but fairly often when I'm buying something, the clerk gives me back too much change. When I was younger, a few times I kept it and didn't say anything. As I got older, I realized that keeping it made me feel bad, giving it back made me feel good. I always give it back now.

It's not because I believe in God, or karma. It's because I know it's the right thing to do. I want to be proud of who I am. That's worth more than $10 an hour at a summer job, or keeping that extra $5 that the clerk gave you by mistake.

I don't think anyone here would really think less of you if you take the job. It's not that big of a deal, but it doesn't matter what we think about you. It's what you think about yourself.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='502247' date='Jun 19 2007, 04:02 PM']If they dont find out now, they will find out when they have to file your taxes and if you want to come back and work there again next summer before you start college then forget it.[/quote]
I allready did the whole tax thing i told them i'm still getting claimed with my parents.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='502315' date='Jun 19 2007, 07:18 PM']See, there it is right there. You don't want advice. You want all of us to jump in and say "Fuck them, it's their mistake. Take that job, baby!" Have you noticed the advice you're getting is 99.9% do the right thing and then sneaky saying what you want to hear. Funny how you brush off the 50 posts telling you not to do it and then jump on the train for the 1 person taking your side in it.

Like I said, you don't want advice......at least not the advice you don't want to hear.

Take the job, OG. Go off and be merry and prosperous.
MULLY[/quote]
I do want advice, but it's hard because i need the job and i want the job, hell 10$ an hour would pay my bills and i would have extra for once. i want to tell them "okay listen so im 17." but i'm afraid of getting fired. The only way i can stay here with my dad is if i have a job. I wanna be with my dad. I want to do the right thing, but like i said im worried. I still stand by the fact it was their mistake, I'm not saying it was RIGHT of ME, but i NEVER lied, i found out i had to be 18 AFTER i got hired.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='502328' date='Jun 19 2007, 08:23 PM']It seems like you have had your mind up from the get go. Why did you ask anyones opinion to begin with then? I think maybe you should have mentioned the being 18 thing from the start. It would have been the smart thing to do as to avoid such a situation that is seemingly soooo complex. Like everyone else said its CLAIRES so who really cares.
I was not saying that places hire at age 18 because of maturity. I was merely making a point about immaturity. I figured that was pretty obvious.[/quote]
I didn't have my mind made up..and i was only wondering if i did anything i could get in trouble for. not once did i say "HEY GUYS CAN I GET SOME ADVICE HERE REAL QUICK?" nope, but i take the advice graciously, because i value yalls opinion. In fact im still not sure what i'm going to do about the whole situation.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='502438' date='Jun 20 2007, 03:10 AM']For me, the closest thing to hell that I know exists, is a guilty conscience.

If you feel guilty for doing it, you'll be paranoid the whole time you're there and you probably won't like the job. The consequences aren't really that you might lose the job. It's more that you might have to admit that you lied, to someone who had enough faith in you to hire you. If you have a conscience, you'll have to feel some shame if that happens.

I don't know if it's unusual or not, but fairly often when I'm buying something, the clerk gives me back too much change. When I was younger, a few times I kept it and didn't say anything. As I got older, I realized that keeping it made me feel bad, giving it back made me feel good. I always give it back now.

It's not because I believe in God, or karma. It's because I know it's the right thing to do. I want to be proud of who I am. That's worth more than $10 an hour at a summer job, or keeping that extra $5 that the clerk gave you by mistake.

I don't think anyone here would really think less of you if you take the job. It's not that big of a deal, but it doesn't matter what we think about you. It's what you think about yourself.[/quote]

I know what the right thing is to do. And all of you have been in situations where you knew what was right yet you chose to take the other route.
I know one thing though if i keep thinking about it i'm gunna get a freakin ulser.

The only thing I could tell you then is to play stupid when they find out. You're gonna get found out, that's for sure. Just make sure you don't admit to knowing. They didn't notice and you didn't know. At least that will keep the door open for any future attempts at working there.
MULLY
and make sure your friend doesn't tell them that you were aware of it

[quote name='Bunghole' post='502704' date='Jun 20 2007, 07:25 PM']You said "ya'all".
Fucking Texas and Oklahoma.... :pointlaff:
:badger:[/quote]

Do not ever compare an Okie to a Texan.
You will be shot and buried.
Everyone says "yall", well at least in OK.
I hate my country accent actually. I'm hoping when i move to FL i will get rid of it.

Funny shirt:
[img]http://i15.tinypic.com/6agehc7.jpg[/img]

Archived