Sony cuts PS3 price

[img]http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8431/8431413_sa.jpg[/img]

there is the ps3 wireless bengals controller, that thing is kinda cool, i would have hoped for a bit more black and a little less orange, chicagobengals may have nailed it on the head... a cool option tho...see $300 more gets you the option to spend $60 on this...

its in the bag.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='GoBengals' post='511084' date='Jul 15 2007, 04:52 PM']nice gamercard thingie *changes his*[/quote]
they have quite a few too. that site is a great site for them. 12th man should start up his own site for them because he could make some badass ones.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='510704' date='Jul 14 2007, 01:30 AM']in case your confused... i will follow up...

XBOX + 120 GB + HDMI Cable = $479

PS3 + 80 GB = $600

PS3 + 80 GB + Extrs HDMI Cable = $660

your right, $660 for less memory than you get for $479 is laughable. very laghable.
so if you want a ps3, and dont want to play online or download games, what options do you have? oh.. thats right.. $600

if you want an xbox and dont wanna play online or download content.. what option do you have? hmmm $300...

ps3 force feeds whatever options they want to its consumers. xbox gives you several options from bare bones video game system to kicking ps3 ass in storage and hdmi cable gaming system.. all of which are over a hundred dollars less than the ps3.

I got a xbox 360 elite with 120 gb hard drive, hdmi cable, 2nd black wireless controller, two rechargable battery packs and charging stand, and a new game, all for less than the ps3,
i stand corrected, the hdmi best buy has for ps3 is $99

[url="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7985736&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103600050010&id=1155065411028"]http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1155065411028[/url]

zing...

ah, there is a $59 too.. so you know, thats way better than coming with it free... for less money... and more storage space...[/quote]

Why do you leave out the Blue Ray player? Because YOU don't care for it? That, like almost every pro XBOX argument I've seen on here is utterly short sighted. But hey, have fun paying 49 bucks a year for online play...

Oh, and if you need help with that, its:

XBOX + 120 GB + HDMI Cable+ Online Fee (say 6 years of online play, if you buy in bulk = $294) = $773 (and zero next gen DVD player)

PS3 + 80 GB + Blu Ray DVD = $600

PS3 + 80 GB + Extrs HDMI Cable + Blu Ray Player = $660

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='512202' date='Jul 18 2007, 06:21 PM']Why do you leave out the Blue Ray player? Because YOU don't care for it? That, like almost every pro XBOX argument I've seen on here is utterly short sighted. But hey, have fun paying 49 bucks a year for online play...

XBOX + 120 GB + HDMI Cable+ Online Fee (say 6 years of online play, if you buy in bulk = $294) = $773 (and zero next gen DVD player)

PS3 + 80 GB + Extrs HDMI Cable + Blu Ray Player = $660[/quote]

Why do you continue to assume that people want to use their gaming system as their entertainment system?

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='512202' date='Jul 18 2007, 06:21 PM']Why do you leave out the Blue Ray player? Because YOU don't care for it? That, like almost every pro XBOX argument I've seen on here is utterly short sighted. But hey, have fun paying 49 bucks a year for online play...

PS3 + 80 GB + Extrs HDMI Cable + Blu Ray Player = $660[/quote]

the blu ray palyer is a 2x disc player, thats 9mb/sec, the xbox regular steak and potatos dvd palyer is 16x, which is 22mb/sec, so yea that fancy blu ray is a great feature, making load times nearly triple what they are for the xbox.

why do i leave out the blu ray player? cause its not a benifit for the games, and we are talking about gaming systems, you know, like they already tsted madden will play better on the 360 than the ps3,

and you know, like this board, america, and the world have decided via sales of all of the consoles... the ps3 is in a dismal 3rd place. from the beginning, since its own launch... always.. i suppose somewhere in japan on the third thursday of its launch, maybe it outsold the 360 for a week,

but its being destroyed across the world, in console, game and accessory sales.

frankly there isnt much of an argument otherwise.

keep buying your $25-30 blu ray movies, and watching them from your gaming system, as ive stated before, if you like it, fine, but having the blu ray palyer doesnt make it a better gaming system, in fact, at this point, its slowing it down. especially the lame blu ray player they put in it.

So then you're admitting you left out a huge chunk of what the PS3 is (and what the PS2 was)? Okay then.

As I'm sure you never watched one DVD on your old PS2...I mean, everybody had a PS2....but were you the one guy that refused because it had a DVD player in it? Back in 2000 did you exclaim to the Game Stop people that "This is a gaming system, not a home entertainment system." (like its a bad thing Sony is trying to combine the two, which it most certainly is not.)?

BluRay is going to take out HD-DVD (hell, Blockbuster doesn't even carry HD-DVD anymore), and in the future when everyone goes to HD movies (because that's what people do, they move to the most advanced technology)...it'll be quite alright to have bought one for about a 1/2 of the going price, and having a PS3 with all its potential (we're talking about a system releasing the first versions of almost every game that comes out, which the way you make it sound is the only way the games will ever be) with it. The future, indeed, is very bright.

Its not a bad thing to buy PS3's, and to prove that point since the price has dropped (and even before hand), people are buying them....WORLD WIDE.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='515968' date='Jul 25 2007, 12:02 PM']So then you're admitting you left out a huge chunk of what the PS3 is (and what the PS2 was)? Okay then.
As I'm sure you never watched one DVD on your old PS2...I mean, everybody had a PS2....but were you the one guy that refused because it had a DVD player in it? Back in 2000 did you exclaim to the Game Stop people that "This is a gaming system, not a home entertainment system." (like its a bad thing Sony is trying to combine the two, which it most certainly is not.)[/quote]

Actually yes I dont watch DVDs on my gaming system. :wave:

Also once again IF blu-ray takes over as the standard, dont you think MS will put out blu-ray drives?

Also note that Sony is the owner of blu-ray technology so when the mindless continue to buy blu-ray your giving sony money on every blu-ray purchase reguardless of who makes the blu-ray drives. HD-DVD is not owned by any one company. Ive seen many technologies that were superior killed off because the company that owned them didnt open them up for others to play too. If your comfortable with that, fine...I dont care for that. So lets not say blu-ray has won just yet.

Also MS is betting on the idea that in the future you will download your movies (like you can with Netflix right now) and with the 360 you can stream your movies from your PC that has media center (comes standard with the upper level versions of vista) to your 360. You can do that already if you have a number of media formats that media center supports downloaded to your PC. I can watch movies, look at pictures, and listen to music all on my 360 without taking up ANY hard drive space on the 360, thus saving my space for games. Can Sony claim that?

Putting Blu Ray in the PS3 was good for Blu Ray as a standard, but bad for PS3. Sony will probably wind up winning the format war, but lose the console war as a result. They're selling enough PS3's to the technophile sect to edge out HD-DVD, but they've priced themselves out of gaming. They've built their console around a market that just won't exist for 5+ years. Their niche is gamers with $600, and HDTVs that can actually showcase their technology. That's a small crowd to market a console to. If past technologies are an indicator (CDs, DVDs, digital cameras), the masses won't give a damn about PS3's technology until HDTVs are cheap, and Blu Ray players can be had at Walmart for $100. By then, PS3 will just start to make sense to people as Microsoft and Nintendo unveil their next-next generation consoles.

[quote name='mongo' post='515996' date='Jul 25 2007, 12:47 PM']Putting Blu Ray in the PS3 was good for Blu Ray as a standard, but bad for PS3. Sony will probably wind up winning the format war, but lose the console war as a result. They're selling enough PS3's to the technophile sect to edge out HD-DVD, but they've priced themselves out of gaming. They've built their console around a market that just won't exist for 5+ years. Their niche is gamers with $600, and HDTVs that can actually showcase their technology. That's a small crowd to market a console to. If past technologies are an indicator (CDs, DVDs, digital cameras), the masses won't give a damn about PS3's technology until HDTVs are cheap, and Blu Ray players can be had at Walmart for $100. By then, PS3 will just start to make sense to people as Microsoft and Nintendo unveil their next-next generation consoles.[/quote]

Agree to a point that IF Blu-Ray wins. I still say the jury is out on that, but it does look like a probabality. However as you said, they introduced a immature techology thus driving up the price of their gaming unit when the mass market isnt ready for it yet and thus wolnt put down the extra money. In addition when the mass market is ready for it, the next generation consoles would be coming out and probabally have a player on it. This also assumes that this technology isnt taken over by the downloading option.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='515968' date='Jul 25 2007, 12:02 PM'](hell, Blockbuster doesn't even carry HD-DVD anymore),[/quote]

BLOCKBUSTER Online and HD DVD
HD DVD technology has arrived at BLOCKBUSTER Online. Offering enhanced sound capability, high-resolution imagery and new special features, HD DVDs are transforming the home theater experience. See below for information on title availability and essential equipment.

[url="http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/collections/hdDvdPackage"]http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/collections/hdDvdPackage[/url]

thats 27 pages of hd dvd movies.

and HD dvd are still available in the top 250 volume blockbuster stores.. just not expanding to all.

and no, i ahve never.. ever played a movie in my video game system, dvd players arent expensive, ive always had one. why would anyone want to play movies in a video game console? given i have played a few for my son on my 360, but im thinking the % of people who were too lazy to rewire the dvd player when they moved there tv and their kid was crying so they used it for winnie the pooh for two days... is pretty slim.

walmart goes HD DVD: [url="http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/26/wal-mart_chooses_hd_dvd/1"]http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/26/wa...hooses_hd_dvd/1[/url]

walmart > blockbuster in store

and with the pricee drop, ps3 sold more units than 360 for the first time EVER in the USA, selling about 15k more last week. but i know, 1.7 mil total ps3 sold in the US is pretty cl;ose to the 6.6 million 360's sold in the US. just think if they release a 100GB model.. OH NOEZ!!!!1111

[url="http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=America&cons2=PS3®2=America&cons3=X360®3=America"]http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=...mp;reg3=America[/url]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='516129' date='Jul 25 2007, 05:47 PM']BLOCKBUSTER Online and HD DVD
HD DVD technology has arrived at BLOCKBUSTER Online. Offering enhanced sound capability, high-resolution imagery and new special features, HD DVDs are transforming the home theater experience. See below for information on title availability and essential equipment.

[url="http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/collections/hdDvdPackage"]http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/collections/hdDvdPackage[/url]

and HD dvd are still available in the top 250 volume blockbuster stores.. just not expanding to all.
and no, i ahve never.. ever played a movie in my video game system, dvd players arent expensive, ive always had one. why would anyone want to play movies in a video game console? given i have played a few for my son on my 360, but im thinking the % of people who were too lazy to rewire the dvd player when they moved there tv and their kid was crying so they used it for winnie the pooh for two days... is pretty slim.[/quote]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='516130' date='Jul 25 2007, 05:55 PM']walmart goes HD DVD: [url="http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/26/wal-mart_chooses_hd_dvd/1"]http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/26/wa...hooses_hd_dvd/1[/url]

walmart > blockbuster in store

and with the pricee drop, ps3 sold more units than 360 for the first time EVER in the USA, selling about 15k more last week. but i know, 1.7 mil total ps3 sold in the US is pretty cl;ose to the 6.6 million 360's sold in the US. just think if they release a 100GB model.. OH NOEZ!!!!1111
[url="http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=America&cons2=PS3®2=America&cons3=X360®3=America"]http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=...mp;reg3=America[/url][/quote]

But ....but....but .... Blu-Ray!!!!!!!!!111111111111

This should pick the winner..

News
Thieves Pick Winner In HDTV Format War
A store's entire supply of Blu-ray discs is stolen.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (July 25, 2007) -- Consumers may be having trouble choosing a winner in the High-Definition DVD war between Blu-ray and HD DVD. But a group of thieves in Seattle have no problem at all.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that a band of thieves Sunday morning stole 200 Blu-ray discs with a retail value of $7,000 from a Silver Platters store in the Northgate section of Seattle.

"They basically took our whole Blu-ray section," Mike Batt, a vice president for Silver Platters, a Seattle-based retailer which carries movies and music. "Genre didn't matter to them."

But apparently the thieves did care about the format war because nothing else was taken from the store which also carries HD DVD discs.

"They seemed to know what they wanted," Batt told the newspaper.

Blu-ray movies cost roughly $30 each with boxed collections costing more than that. But despite the thieves' hunger for the discs, there's been no evidence of Blu-ray disc shortages. In fact, the format war between Blu-ray and HD DVD has led to disappointing sales of the high-def players and titles.

The police report says a store security system was triggered at 6:40 a.m. Sunday when a store window was broken. Unfortunately, the store does not have video surveillance.

But Batt says "there's no way this was all done by one person."

[quote name='GoBengals' post='516129' date='Jul 25 2007, 05:47 PM']BLOCKBUSTER Online and HD DVD

and no, i ahve never.. ever played a movie in my video game system, dvd players arent expensive, ive always had one. why would anyone want to play movies in a video game console? given i have played a few for my son on my 360, but im thinking the % of people who were too lazy to rewire the dvd player when they moved there tv and their kid was crying so they used it for winnie the pooh for two days... is pretty slim.[/quote]

You act like you're a loser if you actually have the nerve to play a DVD in a, gasp!, gaming system... :o

Seriously, its old. We know you couldn't dream of the day that an entertainment system and a gaming system ever meet. What kind of low life POS would ever let that happen, eh?

Well how about this, in college, when I could barley afford the PS2...I used the shit out of the DVD player. I didn't have another one. How about when my family went on vacation last month my brother brough his PS2 down to play some games. When we got to the condo the DVD player didn't work....guess what came in handy there? I'm sorry, your attempt at making something that's a completely great thing into a bad thing, just because you settled for a lesser product, doesn't make the PS3 not great.

Nobody ever said Blockbuster never had any HD-DVD's before they [url="http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/06/18/bluray-blockbuster-hddvd-markets-equity-cx_er_0618markets06.html"]made the announcement[/url] they were strictly, IN THE FUTURE (something you're not thinking of in this conversation), going to Blu Ray. But I guess Forbes is just another PS3 Fanboy...

But hey, here's hoping that if you even have an HD-DVD player that every movie ever made from this point on is Universal Pictures movie, because out of every major studio, that's all HD-DVD's got in its back pocket.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='516212' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:04 PM']You act like you're a loser if you actually have the nerve to play a DVD in a, gasp!, gaming system... :o
Seriously, its old. We know you couldn't dream of the day that an entertainment system and a gaming system ever meet. What kind of low life POS would ever let that happen, eh?

Well how about this, in college, when I could barley afford the PS2...I used the shit out of the DVD player. I didn't have another one. How about when my family went on vacation last month my brother brough his PS2 down to play some games. When we got to the condo the DVD player didn't work....guess what came in handy there? I'm sorry, your attempt at making something that's a completely great thing into a bad thing, just because you settled for a lesser product, doesn't make the PS3 not great.
Nobody ever said Blockbuster never had any HD-DVD's before they [url="http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/06/18/bluray-blockbuster-hddvd-markets-equity-cx_er_0618markets06.html"]made the announcement[/url] they were strictly, IN THE FUTURE (something you're not thinking of in this conversation), going to Blu Ray. But I guess Forbes is just another PS3 Fanboy...
But hey, here's hoping that if you even have an HD-DVD player that every movie ever made from this point on is Universal Pictures movie, because out of every major studio, that's all HD-DVD's got in its back pocket.[/quote]

well no one broek in college who could barely afford a ps2 could afford a ps3.... so your point is.. well pointless.. not to mention the same crowd, who cnat afford the ps3 to begin with, cant afford $25-30 movies in blu ray format either.

keep fgighting the good fight, you know, the "its got blu ray, and blu ray will WIN the hd battle"

which has nothing to do with papajohns PWNING the shit out of the ps3 week after week and month after month, .... your right, "its old"

ps3 is getting its shit kicked. GTA, playstations bread and butter games, is giving the 360 exclusive downloadable content at launch.

Units sold: 360
Games available: 360 (done give me backwards compatible bullshit)
price: 360
included accessories: 360
storage space: 360
free warranty: 360
wicked awesome blu ray player: ps3

your right ps3 PWNS all..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='516130' date='Jul 25 2007, 05:55 PM']walmart goes HD DVD: [url="http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/26/wal-mart_chooses_hd_dvd/1"]http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/26/wa...hooses_hd_dvd/1[/url]

walmart > blockbuster in store[/quote]

You know....that's pretty impressive. Wal Mart. Damn.....I guess HD-DVD is going to be the winner...

Oh, but there is just one more thing....Wal Mart said that story was complete and utter BULL SHIT.

[url="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2122715,00.asp"]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2122715,00.asp[/url]

but hey, keep tryin'...

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='516221' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:27 PM']You know....that's pretty impressive. Wal Mart. Damn.....I guess HD-DVD is going to be the winner...
Oh, but there is just one more thing....Wal Mart said that story was complete and utter BULL SHIT.
[url="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2122715,00.asp"]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2122715,00.asp[/url]
but hey, keep tryin'...[/quote]

OH NOES BLUE RAYSORZ MIGHT WINSSSSS!!!!11111

i dont own either player, im not gonna pay $25-30 per movie to own. its foolish.

hell i dont care if they stop making hd dvd tomorrow completely... because i didnt waste $600 on a gaming console that had a proprietary movie format in it.

and when blu ray wins, and i do buy a blu ray player for like $300, i will still be better off than every ps3 owner, as it wont be a shitty 2x version of blu ray player. you know, the one that loads 3 times slower than the measly dvd player on the 360.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='516212' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:04 PM']You act like you're a loser if you actually have the nerve to play a DVD in a, gasp!, gaming system... :o

But hey, here's hoping that if you even have an HD-DVD player that every movie ever made from this point on is Universal Pictures movie, because out of every major studio, that's all HD-DVD's got in its back pocket.[/quote]

Speaking of not thinking on the future, why do you contiune to ignore the download to your PC and stream them to the 360 option, that I can do right NOW? Hell I can download a movie from itunes, if i want to pay for an overpriced phone, watch it on my phone, or tv that has my 360. Again can your PS3 do that?

And dont give me they arent HD.

Window Media HD
[url="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/HDVideo.aspx"]http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...eo/HDVideo.aspx[/url]

Quicktime HD
[url="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/"]http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/[/url]

:wave:

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='515968' date='Jul 25 2007, 12:02 PM']...(hell, Blockbuster doesn't even carry HD-DVD anymore) ...[/quote]

thats 27 pages of hd dvd movies...[/quote]

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='516212' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:04 PM']...Nobody ever said Blockbuster never had any HD-DVD's...[/quote]

:blink:

[quote name='steggyD' post='516331' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:54 PM']:blink:[/quote]

You read the article I posted from Forbes and let me know what you think Blockbuster's going to do. SOOOO sorry I said "doesn't" instead of "won't", but hey...that miswording should save HD-DVD...good spot chief.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='520093' date='Aug 1 2007, 07:07 PM']You read the article I posted from Forbes and let me know what you think Blockbuster's going to do. SOOOO sorry I said "doesn't" instead of "won't", but hey...that miswording should save HD-DVD...good spot chief.[/quote]

who the hell cares about HD DVD?

no one.

just like i dont care about blu ray.. like everyone else who isnt gonna spend $25-30 per movie...

the PS3 is getting donkey punched by the gaming console industry and your arguing about HD DVD's.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='516257' date='Jul 25 2007, 09:20 PM']Speaking of not thinking on the future, why do you contiune to ignore the download to your PC and stream them to the 360 option, that I can do right NOW? Hell I can download a movie from itunes, if i want to pay for an overpriced phone, watch it on my phone, or tv that has my 360. Again can your PS3 do that?

And dont give me they arent HD.[/quote]

I don't have a PS3, or an XBox 360 or a Wii. Played all three, researched all three...may buy a PS3 soon, but I'm still happy with PS2 (which still sells more consoles than any next-gen).

I don't know what its full potential is, but I do know that of all the research I've done its full potential is easily the best. I know that they will have downloadable movies (in HD...I know, I know...better technology means nothing to you) available, downloadable games and music as well as stated at E3 (PSP will also have this).

I know that what it offers, and what you'd have to buy, over time for the XBox 360 (and the fact that XBox just took out a Billion dollars to fix defunct 360's because they didn't design the thing right, and still don't know what the problem is), makes the XBox 360 more expensive.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='520179' date='Aug 1 2007, 08:27 PM']I don't have a PS3, or an XBox 360 or a Wii. Played all three, researched all three...may buy a PS3 soon, but I'm still happy with PS2 (which still sells more consoles than any next-gen).

I don't know what its full potential is, but I do know that of all the research I've done its full potential is easily the best. I know that they will have downloadable movies (in HD...I know, I know...better technology means nothing to you) available, downloadable games and music as well as stated at E3 (PSP will also have this).

[b]I know that what it offers, and what you'd have to buy, over time for the XBox 360 (and the fact that XBox just took out a Billion dollars to fix defunct 360's because they didn't design the thing right, and still don't know what the problem is), makes the XBox 360 more expensive.[/b][/quote]

millions of 360's work fine. they manned up to the high percentage of issues and are covering them for free... and the consoles is still dropping price and still crushing the ps3.

and the ps2 has nothing to do with anytihng, i had 4-5 ps2's, wonder why its the highest selling, cause everyone had to buy 4 of them (see what i did there, i generalized a bullshit instance like with your all 360's are broke and microsoft doesnt know why, cmon fucking garbage ass bullshit) so no wonder its high selling they all broke. and its on ebay for $89 with 4 games brand new.. fuck i might buy another to put in my suit case for vacations.

Archived