Go-Bengals Under Cyber Attack !!!

Note to the mods:

I hate to be obvious but it needs to be said. Check the computer that was hacked for any leftover backdoors left open after you clean it.

Also, ...wasn't your email service attacked a little while ago? Coincidence? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img]

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='512556' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:08 AM']I still don't understand how i was able to log in and stuff. My name was on the list.[/quote]

my name wasn't, but my acct was gone anyways... <_<

fucking bullshit... i can't even remember exactly what member i was... somewhere in the 20's... but that doesn't really help... and a bunch of damn posts...

wtf? why won't anyone say who this fucker might have been?

Gulp....here goes....

This happened because of me. There's a portion of your browser if you're a moderator that has an admin control panel. The irony in this is that I hardly ever open it up, as we never really have to ban anyone, not usually.
So yesterday, I'd been on the board on and off, I was also off from work, had my boys with me at home, built some tinkertoy windmills, anyway, I decided to open that control panel and read about some of the functions on it that I've never used, just you know, to learn.

Anyway, I needed to clean mysel up and get some chow ready for me and my sons, but when I left my computer, I only turned the monitor off and didn't exit from any of my browser windows.

When I got back to my PC later, I saw that I had approximately 30 browser windows open, mostly Yahoo and Limewire. I figured "Ah jeez, the two year old was on the PC again", because he knows how to turn the monitor on, work the speakers and the mouse. Usually when he gets on he just whacks away at the keyboard, but this time, since that admin control panel was open....he must have deleted your accounts by mistake. The thing is I didn't realize what had happened at the time because all I did was "X" out of all those open browsers and then I had to restart my computer, because the little shit had crashed it with all those windows open.

When I got up this morning, there was a PM in my inbox from Go, alerting me to what had happened. I honestly had no idea until then.

Let me be the first to apologize for my indiscretion (leaving the admin box unattended), and for any grief, anger or inconvenience it may have caused to any of our members affected.

Deleted by a little boy that turns two next month....unfuckingbelievable....

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

i'm glad there was no malitious reasons for my account getting deleted... and that is one smart as kid to delete so many accounts...

honestsly, it still doesn't seem like that is what happened... you sure your computer didn't get hacked or something?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='512564' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:48 AM']Gulp....here goes....

This happened because of me. There's a portion of your browser if you're a moderator that has an admin control panel. The irony in this is that I hardly ever open it up, as we never really have to ban anyone, not usually.
So yesterday, I'd been on the board on and off, I was also off from work, had my boys with me at home, built some tinkertoy windmills, anyway, I decided to open that control panel and read about some of the functions on it that I've never used, just you know, to learn.

Anyway, I needed to clean mysel up and get some chow ready for me and my sons, but when I left my computer, I only turned the monitor off and didn't exit from any of my browser windows.

When I got back to my PC later, I saw that I had approximately 30 browser windows open, mostly Yahoo and Limewire. I figured "Ah jeez, the two year old was on the PC again", because he knows how to turn the monitor on, work the speakers and the mouse. Usually when he gets on he just whacks away at the keyboard, but this time, since that admin control panel was open....he must have deleted your accounts by mistake. The thing is I didn't realize what had happened at the time because all I did was "X" out of all those open browsers and then I had to restart my computer, because the little shit had crashed it with all those windows open.

When I got up this morning, there was a PM in my inbox from Go, alerting me to what had happened. I honestly had no idea until then.

Let me be the first to apologize for my indiscretion (leaving the admin box unattended), and for any grief, anger or inconvenience it may have caused to any of our members affected.

Deleted by a little boy that turns two next month....unfuckingbelievable....[/quote]

Props to you for having the balls to stand up and take responsibility. That's gotta be tough man.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='512564' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:48 AM']Gulp....here goes....

Deleted by a little boy that turns two next month....unfuckingbelievable....[/quote]

I was hacked, computer system files tore up, MASSAKER trojan left as a present, and my account at bengals.com was deleted by the hacker (believe me, its no problem hacking that website, they have a long history of it). I bring this up because I know exactly how everyone feels in this incidence but I wasn't given the explanation offered here nor was I offered any help by bengals.com staff and even Andy Ware treated me like a pariah with a generic form letter. All I ask is that all those affected give it time, cool off, and let it go. All I ask of the admin is to help them recover whatever they can.

Kids will be kids.

For the Lost 136, my condolences. But...

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]:rofl:[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]:rofl:[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

I'm sorry. But no [b]real[/b] harm was done.

Translation: "I Drank a little too much GlenLivet and thought i was in the arcade. I rock at the "Click as many "X"'s as possible game!"

[quote name='Bunghole' post='512564' date='Jul 19 2007, 09:48 AM']Gulp....here goes....

Wow. This sucks.

[quote name='Jason' post='512575' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:03 AM']For the Lost 136, my condolences. But...

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]:rofl:[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]:rofl:[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

I'm sorry. But no [b]real[/b] harm was done.[/quote]

I lost all of my messages in my inbox. I had a lot of important info and links in there.

No real harm done. But damn this sucks . . .

[quote name='bengalrick' post='512568' date='Jul 19 2007, 08:55 AM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

i'm glad there was no malitious reasons for my account getting deleted... and that is one smart as kid to delete so many accounts...

honestsly, it still doesn't seem like that is what happened... you sure your computer didn't get hacked or something?[/quote]
Well, there was a way Jamie described to me that might work, although I would like to think that my firewall and such would prevent it.....but I'm pretty sure it happened as I described it...again, sorry to all affected.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='512577' date='Jul 19 2007, 09:10 AM']Wow. This sucks.
I lost all of my messages in my inbox. I had a lot of important info and links in there.

No real harm done. But damn this sucks . . .[/quote]
I'm really sorry Old, I wish I could take it back.

Dont beat yourself up over it man, if nothing else Im sure Go can revert back to the last backup a few weeks ago, its just a bit of a pain for him thats all.

Hopefully hell know more today or tommorow to see if he can avoid that.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='512581' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:16 AM']I'm really sorry Old, I wish I could take it back.[/quote]

Oh I know you wouldn`t do anything like that on purpose.
And I`m not pissed off or anything like that. It still sucks though. . . LOL

[quote name='oldschooler' post='512577' date='Jul 19 2007, 11:10 AM']Wow. This sucks.
[b]I lost all of my messages in my inbox. I had a lot of important info and links in there.

No real harm done. But damn this sucks . . .[/b][/quote]

I'm sorry. I do not laugh at the misfortune of The Lost 136. But the causal event is kind of funny.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='512583' date='Jul 19 2007, 09:20 AM']Dont beat yourself up over it man, if nothing else Im sure Go can revert back to the last backup a few weeks ago, its just a bit of a pain for him thats all.

Hopefully hell know more today or tommorow to see if he can avoid that.[/quote]
You would think that there was some way to restore this info without compromising the rest of the database.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='512599' date='Jul 19 2007, 11:52 AM']You would think that there was some way to restore this info without compromising the rest of the database.[/quote]

There probabally is but its a bit dangerous if you dont know exactly what your doing.

Archived