Attn Steeler fan members of this site

[quote name='schotzee' post='517448' date='Jul 27 2007, 12:41 PM']Just curious as to what your opinions might be regarding the Odell denial??Looking for non homer opinions.
Bam, offt I can't think of others off the top of my head.[/quote]

Well, while I think it is pretty harsh...I dont understand you guys saying it was "just a DUI". It was technically his 3rd strike at a time when the new commisioner went on record saying player conduct was going to be his main focus.

So, I guess I am not surprised at all by his decision though I think it may be a little rough. He needs to make sure that the players know he is serious. Can you blame him? The NFL is/was on the verge of becoming the NBA. If players think that acting like a jackass is going to get them suspended and potentially cost them milllions of dollars...they might straighten themselves out.

I think that maybe Goodell has seen that he has been on the straight and narrow for a while now and taking it seriously and wants him to conitnue to keep doing what he is doing that is keeping him clean. He knows that whenever he has been in the football enviroment in the past that is when he has fucked up and gotten in trouble. What better way to show you are serious about staying clean than agreeing to another year off and concentrating on beating your alcholism that by all accounts I have heard he was pretty bad off at one point. You start playing football again and get around your friends,groupies, road trips, drugs to keep you playing, media, 6 week work days, plane trips, getting home at 3am from road trips, etc............maybe he thinks Thurman in that enviroment would not be a good thing.

over/under on Bengals defensive ranking should be about 25.

Sorry, had to add it :rolleyes:

[quote name='oftt4' post='517472' date='Jul 27 2007, 12:44 PM']Well, while I think it is pretty harsh...I dont understand you guys saying it was "just a DUI". It was technically his 3rd strike at a time when the new commisioner went on record saying player conduct was going to be his main focus.

So, I guess I am not surprised at all by his decision though I think it may be a little rough. He needs to make sure that the players know he is serious. Can you blame him? The NFL is/was on the verge of becoming the NBA. If players think that acting like a jackass is going to get them suspended and potentially cost them milllions of dollars...they might straighten themselves out.[/quote]

I can buy that, but the corellary needs to be if they do straighten themselves out, they need to be treated fairly. IF odell did in fact do everything required of him, then he should have been reinstated. If the process is purely arbitrary by the Commish, then that might actually reduce the incentive to straighten out.

If Odell didn't abide by his requirements, the public should be informed as to what he failed in, at least generally

[quote name='bammorrisgotmehigh' post='517477' date='Jul 27 2007, 01:49 PM']I think that maybe Goodell has seen that he has been on the straight and narrow for a while now and taking it seriously and wants him to conitnue to keep doing what he is doing that is keeping him clean. He knows that whenever he has been in the football enviroment in the past that is when he has fucked up and gotten in trouble. What better way to show you are serious about staying clean than agreeing to another year off and concentrating on beating your alcholism that by all accounts I have heard he was pretty bad off at one point. [b]You start playing football again and get around your friends,groupies, road trips, drugs to keep you playing, media, 6 week work days, plane trips, getting home at 3am from road trips, etc............maybe he thinks Thurman in that enviroment would not be a good thing. [/b]
over/under on Bengals defensive ranking should be about 25.
Sorry, had to add it :rolleyes:[/quote]

This just goes to show you that you are indeed a complete fucking moron.....Odell was given the year suspension after he was suspended for 4 games AWAY from football when he was busted for the DUI and that eventually got him the year off.

And drugs to keep you playing...is that how the Stools worked under Cowturd? I wouldn't doubt it!

The odds that Ken Anderson ruins Ben....10 out of 10 hahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahah!

Sorry Had to add it :fing06:

[quote name='oftt4' post='517472' date='Jul 27 2007, 06:44 PM']Well, while I think it is pretty harsh...I dont understand you guys saying it was "just a DUI". It was technically his 3rd strike at a time when the new commisioner went on record saying player conduct was going to be his main focus.

So, I guess I am not surprised at all by his decision though I think it may be a little rough. He needs to make sure that the players know he is serious. Can you blame him? The NFL is/was on the verge of becoming the NBA. If players think that acting like a jackass is going to get them suspended and potentially cost them milllions of dollars...they might straighten themselves out.[/quote]
His first 2 "strikes" were missed tests. While this landed him in deep shit in the drug program, these are hardly the types of incidents that are bringing a bad name to the NFL. Stupid fucking decisions, yes, for certain. But his only true indiscretion in the public sense is a single DUI. Not an offense to be taken lightly. But if two DUIs = a two game suspension for others, making Odell serve 2 years for a single DUI is just a bit beyond harsh... it's fucking ridiculous.

[quote name='bammorrisgotmehigh' post='517477' date='Jul 27 2007, 01:49 PM']over/under on Bengals defensive ranking should be about 25.[/quote]
Funny. The over/under on Ben's interception total this year is 25 as well!

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='517688' date='Jul 27 2007, 05:00 PM']His first 2 "strikes" were missed tests. While this landed him in deep shit in the drug program, these are hardly the types of incidents that are bringing a bad name to the NFL. Stupid fucking decisions, yes, for certain. But his only true indiscretion in the public sense is a single DUI. Not an offense to be taken lightly. But if two DUIs = a two game suspension for others, making Odell serve 2 years for a single DUI is just a bit beyond harsh... it's fucking ridiculous.[/quote]
I agree, and in keeping with that, I again will restate that there is something else that occurred that triggered this second suspension.

[quote name='JC' post='517691' date='Jul 28 2007, 12:11 AM']Funny. The over/under on Ben's interception total this year is 25 as well![/quote]

You mean before the bye week, right? :P
[quote name='Bunghole' post='517693' date='Jul 28 2007, 12:17 AM']I agree, and in keeping with that, I again will restate that there is something else that occurred that triggered this second suspension.[/quote]
That was my first guess as well, but if not, this is the biggest load of shit decision I've seen since that lovely roughing the passer call in TB last fall.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='517700' date='Jul 27 2007, 05:44 PM']That was my first guess as well, but if not, this is the biggest load of shit decision I've seen since that lovely roughing the passer call in TB last fall.[/quote]
I agree too, if it was in fact a punitive decision on the part of Goodell without any pending incidents that we are unaware of, then yeah...the guy needs to have his nuts roasted over an open fire.
But, I just refuse to believe that this is the case. Something's not right with Odell. I mean, of COURSE his lawyer(s) and/or agents are going to pump up his supposed eligibility...what are they going to say "Yeah, I smoked rocks with my client last night".
Seriously.

[quote name='bammorrisgotmehigh' post='517874' date='Jul 28 2007, 12:07 AM']Man you all are pissed about this. What will you do if it happens to Henry????[/quote]

Something tells me we'll see BJ on TV getting arrested for fire bombing the NFL offices....

[quote name='Actium' post='517525' date='Jul 27 2007, 03:08 PM']I can buy that, but the corellary needs to be if they do straighten themselves out, they need to be treated fairly. IF odell did in fact do everything required of him, then he should have been reinstated. [b]If the process is purely arbitrary by the Commish, then that might actually reduce the incentive to straighten out. [/b]
If Odell didn't abide by his requirements, the public should be informed as to what he failed in, at least generally[/quote]

Ah, but wouldnt it also reduce the chance of the players getting in trouble in the first place?

I know if I was in the NFL right now, I would be keeping my nose clean.

[quote name='bammorrisgotmehigh' post='517874' date='Jul 28 2007, 01:07 AM']Man you all are pissed about this. What will you do if it happens to Henry????[/quote]

I dont believe he can because Henry has a specific # of games he was suspended for not a year.

[quote name='oftt4' post='517925' date='Jul 28 2007, 05:56 AM']Ah, but wouldnt it also reduce the chance of the players getting in trouble in the first place?

I know if I was in the NFL right now, I would be keeping my nose clean.[/quote]

The appeals process being soley decided by the comish allows for personal bias he may or may not have to come into play, there is no fairness in a dictatorship. A commitee (that would include the comish) or a unbias 3rd party arbitrator with no attachment to the league would be alot more fair to the players.

[quote name='oftt4' post='517925' date='Jul 28 2007, 04:56 AM']Ah, but wouldnt it also reduce the chance of the players getting in trouble in the first place?

I know if I was in the NFL right now, I would be keeping my nose clean.[/quote]

Maybe. Mistakes happen. Most of the Bengals infractions (and other teams) are stupid things like DUIs that they don't plan on getting--they just go out for a few drinks with the boys and get pulled over. DUIs can be serious, but a lot of times they are just moneymakers for the state.

People are going to get in trouble no matter what station in life. That's why the punishment mechanisms need to be fair. Right now in Goodell's NFL, they aren't.

[quote name='Actium' post='517998' date='Jul 28 2007, 11:18 AM']Maybe. Mistakes happen. Most of the Bengals infractions (and other teams) are stupid things like DUIs that they don't plan on getting--they just go out for a few drinks with the boys and get pulled over. DUIs can be serious, but a lot of times they are just moneymakers for the state.

People are going to get in trouble no matter what station in life. That's why the punishment mechanisms need to be fair. Right now in Goodell's NFL, they aren't.[/quote]

Fairness is relative. Some countries give the death penalty for drunk driving. Compared to that, I'd say not being able to play professional football for two years is pretty fair.

[quote name='oftt4' post='518146' date='Jul 28 2007, 03:11 PM']Fairness is relative. Some countries give the death penalty for drunk driving. Compared to that, I'd say not being able to play professional football for two years is pretty fair.[/quote]

I guess. That doesn't seem all that relevant to me--fairness should be taken in its own context. We are concerned about disciplinary action in the NFL, not in China. In the grandest sense, simply having an Earth on which to have our problems is more fair than nothingness. But I don't think that matters.

[quote name='Actium' post='518161' date='Jul 28 2007, 04:50 PM']I guess. That doesn't seem all that relevant to me--fairness should be taken in its own context. We are concerned about disciplinary action in the NFL, not in China. In the grandest sense, simply having an Earth on which to have our problems is more fair than nothingness. But I don't think that matters.[/quote]

So who determines what is fair? Well, in the NFL that person is Goodell...so technically it IS fair, since he obviously thinks it is.

[quote name='oftt4' post='521566' date='Aug 4 2007, 04:40 PM']So who determines what is fair? Well, in the NFL that person is Goodell...so technically it IS fair, since he obviously thinks it is.[/quote]
regardless of whether or not the commish's actions were fueled by evidence that we aren't privy to or not, Odell is still ineligible for reinstatement until before next season...he's done in the NFL.
Unless his appeal succeeds, which I don't think it will, given the arbiter... <_<

[quote name='Bunghole' post='521575' date='Aug 4 2007, 07:00 PM']regardless of whether or not the commish's actions were fueled by evidence that we aren't privy to or not, Odell is still ineligible for reinstatement until before next season...he's done in the NFL.
Unless his appeal succeeds, which I don't think it will, [color="#FF0000"]given the arbiter... [/color]<_<[/quote]

Exactly, which means you better not do anything to embarrass or make his furor angry.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='521575' date='Aug 4 2007, 07:00 PM']regardless of whether or not the commish's actions were fueled by evidence that we aren't privy to or not, Odell is still ineligible for reinstatement until before next season...he's done in the NFL.
Unless his appeal succeeds, which I don't think it will, given the arbiter... <_<[/quote]

He skipped appointments with his parole officer didnt he? I thought I heard that somewhere.

[quote name='oftt4' post='521566' date='Aug 4 2007, 05:40 PM']So who determines what is fair? Well, in the NFL that person is Goodell...so technically it IS fair, since he obviously thinks it is.[/quote]

I'm not sure if it is Goodell who determines what is fair--that would really depend on the removal mechanisms in place. I don't know how they would go about an impeachment type proceeding of the Commish--but let's say it is the owners and the Players Association. Basically Goodell would act the way he believes is fair, and if there is no resistance on the part of the owners and PA (in our example), then what he is doing is fair. If they do resist it, to the point that he is removed as Commish, then it would not be fair.

so the question of who decides what is fair, is ultimately the question of who has the right to control the use of power. Goodell, indeed the office of the commissioner, is an instrument of the collective will of those who appoint him/remove him. The kingmakers decide what is fair.

That's why there's no such thing as absolute power. Power only goes so far as one's ability to convince others to follow. Even in a supposedly autocratic system, there would be a point where the Leader goes too far and his underlings assassinates him, or at least overthrow him.

Archived