!!! THE OFFICIAL SAINTS @ BENGALS GAME THREAD!!!

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='530139' date='Aug 18 2007, 08:33 PM']I can't get too excited--Rowe has been facing 3rd string scrubs that won't even be in the NFL 2 weeks from now. I have a strong feeling he wouldn't be doing this well if he was facing a 1st string defense.[/quote]

Your on crack, Rowe will FOR SURE be on this team, who's going to beat him out for 3rd QB Jeff Smith???

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='530139' date='Aug 18 2007, 10:33 PM']I can't get too excited--Rowe has been facing 3rd string scrubs that won't even be in the NFL 2 weeks from now. I have a strong feeling he wouldn't be doing this well if he was facing a 1st string defense.[/quote]

I don't fully disagree, but you also have to consider that he's be facing them with a 1st string offense.

Rowe looks like the real deal as a backup....I still can't figure out why Johnson has been gettting so many more snaps. Is anyone comfortable with Johnson as #2 QB after his dismal preseason (and the part that was good was thanks to Chris Henry, whom also won't play).
Why is Rowe only being inserted into the game when it's a two-minute drill? Are the coaches trying to see what he's made of and demote Johnson as the #2?

wow. lots of fickle nancy girls in this thread....

there are still several roster battles happening, several starting nursing back to health, about 20-30 guys to lose jobs and stop taking reps from starters, entire weeks spent preparing for an opponent rather than position battles. lots of combo trial and error as well as scheme trial and error. like if the way the D lines up gets blown out 6 straight times they are gonna keep that as #1 for the season?

for crying out loud.

the defense had 4-5 sacks and 3-4 forced fumbles.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='530158' date='Aug 18 2007, 09:02 PM']wow. lots of fickle nancy girls in this thread....

there are still several roster battles happening, several starting nursing back to health, about 20-30 guys to lose jobs and stop taking reps from starters, entire weeks spent preparing for an opponent rather than position battles. lots of combo trial and error as well as scheme trial and error. like if the way the D lines up gets blown out 6 straight times they are gonna keep that as #1 for the season?

for crying out loud.

[b]the defense had 4-5 sacks and 3-4 forced fumbles.[/b][/quote]
Those were against scrubs, and our first team offense has yet to score a TD. I have to say that it's a bit worrisome.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='530155' date='Aug 18 2007, 10:55 PM']Rowe looks like the real deal as a backup....I still can't figure out why Johnson has been gettting so many more snaps. Is anyone comfortable with Johnson as #2 QB after his dismal preseason (and the part that was good was thanks to Chris Henry, whom also won't play).
Why is Rowe only being inserted into the game when it's a two-minute drill? Are the coaches trying to see what he's made of and demote Johnson as the #2?[/quote]

Yeah, like everyone said- why did we see so much of Doug Johnson. Marvin even said we would see less of the douche.

I thought this last week, and I can only say this game has reinforced my feeling. The Coaching staff has seen how much he sucks and they keep throwing him out their to see some indication the guy is a NFL QB. The more he sucks the more they keep throwing him out there...... with a hope and a prayer.

When a guy plays solid in the preseason, the coaches remove him and go to the next guy they want a read on. When the guy stays in it is only for two reasons - not enough bodies - which is not the case in this situation. Or they are counting on him, and his performance has blown.

[quote][size=5][b]New Orleans 27, Cincinnati 19 [/b][/size]

Recap

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
August 18, 2007

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Drew Brees needed only six on-target passes to show that he's ready -- and the Cincinnati Bengals' defense isn't.

Brees led New Orleans to a touchdown in his only series Saturday night, completing every throw he made and giving the Bengals a half-dozen more reasons to worry in the Saints' 27-19 preseason victory.

The NFL's leading passer last season, Brees had his way with the league's worst pass defense, one that Cincinnati put a lot of moves and money into trying to upgrade in the offseason. The early returns aren't good.

"Obviously, I'm not happy with how we performed, how we played tonight," glum coach Marvin Lewis said.

The Saints (1-2) scored on their first three drives against Cincinnati's starting unit. Brees was 6-for-6 for 55 yards on the opening drive, which culminated in Deuce McAllister's 8-yard run and the first round of boos from fans who had seen this so many times.

The Saints were only getting started on a night that left them feeling good.

New Orleans returns most of the team that lost to Chicago in the NFC championship game. There are a few things that need to be settled -- a No. 3 receiver, role-sharing at a few spots on defense. All those things can get decided in the next two weeks before the opener.

The most encouraging thing is the way Brees is playing. A year ago, he was coming off a shoulder injury that limited him during training camp and left the Saints unsure what to expect.

"He's been practicing real well," coach Sean Payton said. "He's worked hard on all the little things in his game, and he's playing with a lot of confidence. I'm encouraged about where he's at compared to where he was last year at this time. He has a good feel for what we're doing."

In the last two games, Brees has gone 18-for-20 for 173 yards.

"I'm getting excited about the beginning of the season," Brees said. "Preseason does serve a purpose. The last two times, we've looked good."

The Bengals (0-2) have a lot of work to do.

They let safety Kevin Kaesviharn leave as a free agent and released linebacker Brian Simmons in the offseason as part of their defensive overhaul. Both signed with the Saints and played in backup roles on Saturday.

Cincinnati's new-look defense looked a lot like the old one, giving up two touchdowns and a field goal on the Saints' first three possessions. Reggie Bush had a 6-yard touchdown run.

On the Saints' first drive, they didn't even face a third down.

"Again, I go back to that first series," Lewis said. "We want to get off the football field. We had an opportunity to set the tempo."

Shayne Graham kicked four field goals in the first half -- another bad sign for Cincinnati, which couldn't even get into the end zone after recovering a fumble at New Orleans' 3.

Carson Palmer played four series and was a pedestrian 5-for-10 for 41 yards with a sack and fumble that set up the Saints' second touchdown.

"It wasn't what we expected or want to do," Palmer said.

The most glaring problem was the lack of a No. 3 receiver. The Bengals were reminded how much they miss Chris Henry, who is suspended for the first eight games for violating the NFL's conduct policy.

The Bengals tried to get the ball to Tab Perry, who is first in line to take Henry's spot. Palmer overthrew him three times -- once when he got open at the goal line -- and backup quarterback Doug Johnson had trouble connecting with him, too.

Perry was the intended receiver on eight passes in the first half, but had only one catch for seven yards. He also had a false start on the opening drive of the second half. Perry finished with two catches for 19 yards.

"I'm new at this deal," Perry said. "T.J. (Houshmandzadeh) and Chad (Johnson) and Carson have good timing. They're on the same page, and I'm trying to get there."

[b]Notes[/b]

Saints WR David Patten played despite a sore toe and had three catches for 26 yards. ... The Saints had no serious injuries. "Everyone's fine," Payton said. "Everyone's in good shape." ... Bengals LB Landon Johnson strained his back and DE Robert Geathers strained his ribcage in the first quarter. Neither returned. ... Bengals RT Willie Anderson walked the sideline without the protective boot he wore on his right foot two days earlier. Anderson has a foot injury that threatens to keep him out of the season opener.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20070818004&prov=ap"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=2007...004&prov=ap[/url]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='530161' date='Aug 18 2007, 11:12 PM']Those were against scrubs, and our first team offense has yet to score a TD. I have to say that it's a bit worrisome.[/quote]

not really.

i'd rather trial and error a buncha shitty plays now than september 10th.

tab perry worries me, he is such a likable player, and the kickoff return in pitt makes him a favorite, but dude was off tonight, i thought it was carsons overthrows and so on but carson wasnt missing anyone as bad as tab except the throw away/purpose igh pass to the sideline. i would love to know for sure who was the error on those plays, wide open td, etc. if the offense was going 3 out 3 out 3 out with no gained yards consistantly i would worry, rudi had some good some back carson and co had some good and some bad. fine its preseason week 2 shake off the bad and lets try some more shit next week, and some more the week after that. then lets get ready for MNF, we have an extra long week to prepare. fridaynight last preseason game i think, then MNF, 10 days to prepare for the opener.

i cant possibly find myself worried about anything until september 11th (scary date to mention) if we get beat 31-3, its panic time. not preseason week 2, and the saints aint scrubbs, thier starting o line played VERY well.

Archived