I'd like to take out some space to let Adam Dunn's haters apologize to him...

sm00th_kw

League Leaders 2007
• Ranks 2nd in NL in HR (36) • Ranks 5th in NL in RBI (91)
• Ranks 8th in NL in R (84) • Ranks 9th in NL in BB (76)
• Ranks 9th in NL in SLG (.562) • Ranks 11th in NL in OPS (.935)

And, you may be surprised to find out, DOESN'T rank 1st in K's...that belongs to Ryan Howard.

You sign this TWENTY SEVEN year old to a long term contract RIGHT NOW.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='534055' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:52 AM']League Leaders 2007
• Ranks 2nd in NL in HR (36) • Ranks 5th in NL in RBI (91)
• Ranks 8th in NL in R (84) • Ranks 9th in NL in BB (76)
• Ranks 9th in NL in SLG (.562) • Ranks 11th in NL in OPS (.935)

And, you may be surprised to find out, DOESN'T rank 1st in K's...that belongs to Ryan Howard.
You sign this TWENTY SEVEN year old to a long term contract RIGHT NOW.[/quote]

I completely agree... and I believe only 4 errors this year (obviously errors don't equate to good or bad fielding either)

I wouldn't mind (and i've said all along) that I wouldn't mind signing him long term. However, I still wouldn't rule out trading him considering his value is so high, that we could net some serious pitching options and with Bruce looking like he's ready to play soon, and votto at first, our offense will be reloading soon enough.

You have to think Dunns value will be replaced at some point with Bruce, Hamilton, Votto, and Edwin in the lineup everyday.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534058' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:56 AM']I completely agree... and I believe only 4 errors this year (obviously errors don't equate to good or bad fielding either)
I wouldn't mind (and i've said all along) that I wouldn't mind signing him long term. However, I still wouldn't rule out trading him considering his value is so high, that we could net some serious pitching options and with Bruce looking like he's ready to play soon, and votto at first, our offense will be reloading soon enough.

You have to think Dunns value will be replaced at some point with Bruce, Hamilton, Votto, and Edwin in the lineup everyday.[/quote]

Oh sure, if you get floored with a deal, definitely. Like I've said before, he's not my favorite player...but to just completely ignore what he does for a team the ENTIRE season is what bugs me about Joe Cincinnati fan. It seems obvious to me that the Reds value of Adam Dunn is a lot closer to reality than what the other teams offering something to trade for him's view was.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='534069' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:04 AM']he has played much better in the field, but i think we should trade him and get what we can... we have plenty of OF's coming up, to cover his spot...[/quote]

At some point in time you have to decide to win now....not letting young OF's learn the rigors of the Majors for another three to four years. Griffey is gone after next season (almost certainly), Jay Bruce comes up and takes his spot (or CF with Hamilton and his arm moving to right), you keep the big bat of Dunn in left. Who else in the ENTIRE LEAGUE is going to produce as much or better than Adam Dunn? 5-6 guys?

Hopper I like, he reminds me of Billy Hatcher....but he's a bench player at best. Same as Ryan Freel. People complain about Adam Dunn's contract, but fuck man, look at what Ryan Freel's getting for playing worse baseball half the time. Its outright robbery.

I don't see a future here for Alex Gonzalez, so I'd try to trade him in the offseason, move Phillips over to SS and keep Keppinger (sp?, if the hitting keeps up...which I don't see why it wouldn't.) at 2B. Votto or Hatteberg and Cantu would be the platoon at first and EdE at the 3 bag.

That is potency at its finest.

you let him walk in FA without a doubt. you will then get 2 first round picks and have 13 mill to spend in FA. I would much rather have 2 first round picks to build the farm and 13 mill to go into FA with than have Adam Dunn. We have enough HR hitters on this team. Bruce is going to need a spot to play and i dont want Hamilton to lose PT. Griffey obviously wont lose PT. Go spend 13 mill on a good SP or a couple of good relievers and then grab a couple of arms with the 2 first round picks and this team is a lot better off than just having Dunn.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='534086' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:19 AM']you let him walk in FA without a doubt. you will then get 2 first round picks and have 13 mill to spend in FA. I would much rather have 2 first round picks to build the farm and 13 mill to go into FA with than have Adam Dunn. We have enough HR hitters on this team. Bruce is going to need a spot to play and i dont want Hamilton to lose PT. Griffey obviously wont lose PT. Go spend 13 mill on a good SP or a couple of good relievers and then grab a couple of arms with the 2 first round picks and this team is a lot better off than just having Dunn.[/quote]

You say "spend 13 million on a good starting pitcher".....WHO? Zambrano WAS the only attractive Free Agent pitcher out there...he's gone. Why blow $13 million on a Gil Meche ($55 mil) or Jeff Suppan (42 million)? C'mon...

Relief we need, but Relief Pitching from year to year is such a crap shoot. Here's a list of the '06 Free Agent relievers:

RELIEVERS

Type A

Justin Speier: Signing with Angels for four years, $18 million. (good year this season)
David Weathers: Re-signing with Reds for two years, $5 million. (good year this season, horrible last season)
Danys Baez: Signing with Orioles for three years, $19 million. (horrible year this season)
Roberto Hernandez: Signing with Indians for one year, $3.5 million. (horrible season)
Eric Gagne: Signing with Rangers for one year, $6 million. (average year)
Joe Borowski: Signing with Indians for one year, $4.25 million.

I don't feel like looking all these up, but you get the point.

Aaron Fultz: Signing with Indians for one year, $1.65 million.
Eddie Guardado
David Riske: Signing with Royals for one year, $2 million.
Russ Springer: Signing with Cardinals for one year, $1.75 million.
Rudy Seanez
Chad Bradford: Signing with Orioles for three years, $10.5 million.

Type B

Ron Villone
Jamie Walker: Signing with Orioles for three years, $12 million.
Arthur Rhodes
Scott Schoeneweis: Signing with Mets for three years, $10.8 million.
Miguel Batista: Signing with Mariners for three years, $25 million.
Alan Embree: Signing with Athletics for two years, $5.5 million.
LaTroy Hawkins: Signing with Rockies for one year, $3.5 million.
Mike Stanton: Signing with Reds for two years, $5.5 million.
Brian Meadows
Darren Oliver: Signing with Angels for one year, $1.75 million.
Jose Mesa: Signing with Tigers for one year, $2.5 million.
Guillermo Mota-†: Signing with Mets for two years, $5 million

With Dunn, you know what you're going to get....and because he's just entering his prime as a hitter, its only going to get better.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='534092' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:23 AM']You say "spend 13 million on a good starting pitcher".....WHO? Zambrano WAS the only attractive Free Agent pitcher out there...he's gone. Why blow $13 million on a Gil Meche ($55 mil) or Jeff Suppan (42 million)? C'mon...

Relief we need, but Relief Pitching from year to year is such a crap shoot. Here's a list of the '06 Free Agent relievers:

RELIEVERS

Type A

Justin Speier: Signing with Angels for four years, $18 million. (good year this season)
David Weathers: Re-signing with Reds for two years, $5 million. (good year this season, horrible last season)
Danys Baez: Signing with Orioles for three years, $19 million. (horrible year this season)
Roberto Hernandez: Signing with Indians for one year, $3.5 million. (horrible season)
Eric Gagne: Signing with Rangers for one year, $6 million. (average year)
Joe Borowski: Signing with Indians for one year, $4.25 million.

I don't feel like looking all these up, but you get the point.

Aaron Fultz: Signing with Indians for one year, $1.65 million.
Eddie Guardado
David Riske: Signing with Royals for one year, $2 million.
Russ Springer: Signing with Cardinals for one year, $1.75 million.
Rudy Seanez
Chad Bradford: Signing with Orioles for three years, $10.5 million.
Type B

Ron Villone
Jamie Walker: Signing with Orioles for three years, $12 million.
Arthur Rhodes
Scott Schoeneweis: Signing with Mets for three years, $10.8 million.
Miguel Batista: Signing with Mariners for three years, $25 million.
Alan Embree: Signing with Athletics for two years, $5.5 million.
LaTroy Hawkins: Signing with Rockies for one year, $3.5 million.
Mike Stanton: Signing with Reds for two years, $5.5 million.
Brian Meadows
Darren Oliver: Signing with Angels for one year, $1.75 million.
Jose Mesa: Signing with Tigers for one year, $2.5 million.
Guillermo Mota-†: Signing with Mets for two years, $5 million
With Dunn, you know what you're going to get....and because he's just entering his prime as a hitter, its only going to get better.[/quote]

You just hit the nail on the head. People say '$13 mil to spend in free agency!' Well, that doesn't get you shit anymore. A Matt Morris, Jason Jennings, or Eric Milton-type at best. Yes, that's Jason Jennings of the 2-9 record. People act like it is a cakewalk to replace a player who has consistently led the club in Runs, RBI, HR for the last 5 years. Of course we need to allow the newbies to come up, but Griffey's spot will be opening up. Besides, there's absolutely no guarantee we get shit from 2 1st rounders, Drew Stubbs sucks and whiffs worse than Dunn himself!

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='534113' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:43 AM']You just hit the nail on the head. People say '$13 mil to spend in free agency!' Well, that doesn't get you shit anymore. A Matt Morris, Jason Jennings, or Eric Milton-type at best. Yes, that's Jason Jennings of the 2-9 record. People act like it is a cakewalk to replace a player who has consistently led the club in Runs, RBI, HR for the last 5 years. Of course we need to allow the newbies to come up, but Griffey's spot will be opening up. Besides, there's absolutely no guarantee we get shit from 2 1st rounders, [b]Drew Stubbs sucks and whiffs worse than Dunn himself![/b][/quote]
he did, not since they changed his approach. now he is destroying the ball.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='534337' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:17 PM']the guy is fucknig garbage... apologize for him sucking ass in the field? or being #2 in ALL OF BASEBALL in strikeouts... 145... dont worry tho, he might be #1 in the near future.[/quote]

considering he was over 200 I beleive the last two years, you have to like that 145 number.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='534084' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:17 AM']At some point in time you have to decide to win now....not letting young OF's learn the rigors of the Majors for another three to four years. Griffey is gone after next season (almost certainly), Jay Bruce comes up and takes his spot (or CF with Hamilton and his arm moving to right), you keep the big bat of Dunn in left. Who else in the ENTIRE LEAGUE is going to produce as much or better than Adam Dunn? 5-6 guys?

Hopper I like, he reminds me of Billy Hatcher....but he's a bench player at best. Same as Ryan Freel. People complain about Adam Dunn's contract, but fuck man, look at what Ryan Freel's getting for playing worse baseball half the time. Its outright robbery.

I don't see a future here for Alex Gonzalez, so I'd try to trade him in the offseason, move Phillips over to SS and keep Keppinger (sp?, if the hitting keeps up...which I don't see why it wouldn't.) at 2B. Votto or Hatteberg and Cantu would be the platoon at first and EdE at the 3 bag.

That is potency at its finest.[/quote]

we have ryan freel, hopper (who is a prototypical one hitter... one of the best bunters i've EVER seen), bruce coming up, griffey looks better than i can remember and LF might be saving some of his career... he has 3 more years in the tank imo... we also have other young guys that are coming up that will do good in the OF... we are STACKED in the OF and have been since we've had kearns and dunn out there... this team would miss dunns production, but would benefit more from some more pitching...

i like the infield you mention, but we won't get much for gonzalez (even though i would hold onto him for his glove and he can hit / be a great backup... like a "juan castro" that can hit) i'd trade dunn and get what i can.. isn't he gone after this year anyways, probably?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='534086' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:19 AM']you let him walk in FA without a doubt. you will then get 2 first round picks and have 13 mill to spend in FA. I would much rather have 2 first round picks to build the farm and 13 mill to go into FA with than have Adam Dunn. We have enough HR hitters on this team. Bruce is going to need a spot to play and i dont want Hamilton to lose PT. Griffey obviously wont lose PT. Go spend 13 mill on a good SP or a couple of good relievers and then grab a couple of arms with the 2 first round picks and this team is a lot better off than just having Dunn.[/quote]

really? we get two first rounders for losing him? plus the first rounder we will already have, or we will just get one first round pick for letting him walk? either way, that is a strong arguement...

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='534113' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:43 AM']You just hit the nail on the head. People say '$13 mil to spend in free agency!' Well, that doesn't get you shit anymore. A Matt Morris, Jason Jennings, or Eric Milton-type at best. Yes, that's Jason Jennings of the 2-9 record. People act like it is a cakewalk to replace a player who has consistently led the club in Runs, RBI, HR for the last 5 years. Of course we need to allow the newbies to come up, but Griffey's spot will be opening up. Besides, there's absolutely no guarantee we get shit from 2 1st rounders, Drew Stubbs sucks and whiffs worse than Dunn himself![/quote]

i bet there are some damn good pitchers making 13 million or less a year... the point that thurman was trying to make, is which do we AS A TEAM need more: a guy who can hit the ball 500 feet and play average LF, or another high paid pitcher? forget eric milton... that was a shitty deal, but that doesn't mean everyone will... the main thing we need is more pitching in the minor leagues anyway... the good teams don't trade for pitching, they build it from their own...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='535573' date='Aug 28 2007, 10:20 AM']i bet there are some damn good pitchers making 13 million or less a year... the point that thurman was trying to make, is which do we AS A TEAM need more: a guy who can hit the ball 500 feet and play average LF, or another high paid pitcher? forget eric milton... that was a shitty deal, but that doesn't mean everyone will... the main thing we need is more pitching in the minor leagues anyway... the good teams don't trade for pitching, they build it from their own...[/quote]

It is nearly universal that all the good pitchers making less than $13 mil are either still on their first contract with the team that brought them up, or signed as free agents more than 2 years ago. Last offseason was sickening, the way mediocre-to-bad pitchers were being paid. This year's crop of 'talent' will be even weaker. All you have to do is look at Jason Marquis. He was left off the Cards' postseason roster because he was throwing batting practice shit, completely ineffective, and then got a 3-year, $21 mil deal. Yes, that's what you pay a guy as a reward for posting a 6.02 ERA.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='535571' date='Aug 28 2007, 10:15 AM']really? we get two first rounders for losing him? plus the first rounder we will already have, or we will just get one first round pick for letting him walk? either way, that is a strong arguement...[/quote]
we would get 2 first rounders (at the back of round 1) if we lost him in FA. give me the firsts please.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='536205' date='Aug 29 2007, 01:42 AM']dunn just struck out down by two with runners of first and third to end the game...
im sorry adam dunn....

im sorry your still on this fucking team...[/quote]

Griffey followed up by striking out to end game #2.

Archived