!!! THE OFFICIAL GO-BENGALS.COM RATBIRDS @ BENGALS GAME THREAD

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='545491' date='Sep 11 2007, 10:00 PM']Will you guys get off of the 3 hurt lineman.[/quote]

Nah. They are important to the arguement.
You can`t say that 60% of the Ravens' starting D-line were missing.
Or even 60% of their LB`s or Safties.

[quote]Carson had plenty of time.[/quote]

To throw short passes and rush others. Because that`s all the Ravens were giving the O
after the 1st quarter.

[quote]The lineman made no difference.[/quote]

How do you know what difference there would have been ?

[quote]If Carson was getting killed then this becomes an issue, but he didn't.[/quote]

No, it would have been MORE of an issue.

[quote]This D doesn't have their Number 1-2 best player from last year and their leader was hurt.[/quote]

Wait, you can bring up their loss, or an injury of a player that played the whole game. But I need to stop ?

[quote]Only thing we are missing on our O from last year is our #3 receiver, and our QB had a full off season to get better, which should make our Offense even more potent. So old, the validity that you say isn't there, IS.[/quote]

Ummm, we were also missing a LG that played every down, but went to the Clowns.
We were missing Willie almost the entire game, you know, that All Pro Right Tackle.
And that O from last year is the same O that failed to convert on 3rd down and
didn`t score as many points as it did in '05. A lot people said they underachieved.
Remember ?

[quote]Our patchwork line did a hell of a job last night.[/quote]

Hell of a job doing what ? Executing Brat`s shitty play calling ?

I think the O-line did a good job. The question is, did they do as good as
a healthy Levi, Ghiaciuc and Willie would have done ? You say yes.
I beg to differ.

This article goes with the conversation here . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Offense overshadowed [/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Unit produces just enough big plays to beat Ravens[/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

The bloody cut on T.J. Houshmandzadeh's chin reflected Monday night's 27-20 win for the Bengals against Baltimore. The wide receiver took his share of shots from the Ravens while catching nine passes for 50 yards, including the go-ahead touchdown pass from Carson Palmer with 8:48 left to play.

Baltimore came to town with the No. 1-ranked defense from a season ago and in some respects the Ravens got the better of the Bengals offense. They held the Bengals to 236 yards of total offense and forced seven punts, including on Cincinnati's first four possessions of the second half. The Bengals never ran more than three plays in any possession after taking nine snaps in their first possession of the third quarter.

While the defense had a lot more to be proud about, forcing six Baltimore turnovers that led to 24 points and stopping the Ravens in a goal-line stand in the final two minutes of the game, the offense is counting its blessings.

"I thought we played OK, but you have to give them credit," said Houshmandzadeh. "They are the No. 1 defense in the league for a reason. We would have liked to have thought we could move the ball better, which we did at times, but that is why they are the No. 1 defense. They were able to step up and make plays to stop us. We were fortunate to make enough plays."

The 236 yards of offense is the same number of yards the Bengals produced in last season's opener at Kansas City, a game played in rainy conditions on the road. The Bengals won 23-10 and then one week later gained 481 yards of offense in a 34-17 win against Cleveland. The Bengals travel to Cleveland to play the Browns this Sunday.

There was little worry from the offense after the game. Palmer completed 20 of 32 passes for 194 yards and two touchdowns and did not turn over the ball. He was sacked once and, in general, had time to go through all of his reads on passing plays.

There wasn't much room for Rudi Johnson to run the ball, however. Johnson carried the ball 18 times for just 50 yards and fumbled it away late in the fourth quarter to give Baltimore its final possession.

The Bengals also got little production from players outside of Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson. Palmer completed 17 of his 20 passes to those three players, although Chad Johnson didn't catch a pass in the second half. He had five catches for 95 yards, including a 39-yard touchdown. Palmer threw four times to third receiver Tab Perry, who is taking over the role due to the eight-game suspension Chris Henry is currently serving, but all four of those passes were incomplete.

"You'd love to have Chris Henry but I think Tab is going to start coming into his own," said Palmer. "He's going to start making big plays. He does so much for this team, just on special teams alone. I need to keep working with him. I missed him on a couple of plays."

The Bengals had problems converting third downs last season, doing so at just 35.8 percent, well below the league average of 38.7 percent. Those troubles continued against Baltimore. The Bengals converted just three of 13 third-down opportunities. The offense scored two touchdowns, the drives of which consisted of a total of three plays thanks to short fields provided by the defense and turnovers.

The Ravens played a lot of double coverage against Chad Johnson and Houshmandzadeh, a situation made more noticeable by the lack of production from other players.

"They do so many things on defense and create so much confusion," said Palmer. "You have to tip your hat to their defense. They not only play great but they disguise things. They got some key guys on running backs in pass protection and came out with a couple of things that they'd never done before to set us off. All you can do is try to iron it out on the sideline and figure it out. We did that and they kept changing.

"I missed a couple of easy balls that I shouldn't have, but when you don't play great and you don't play your best football you just say a thankful prayer for being able to get a win."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070912/SPT03/709120307/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...07/1022/RSS0302[/url]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='545495' date='Sep 11 2007, 10:02 PM']No the Oline played average, they did not open holes for Rudi and while Carson may have only taken 2 sacks, he was rushed on a number of occasions.[/quote]

He was sacked once. I know IF we had the 'starters' in Rudi would have had 200 yards rushing, with a long of 97 yards.

Ok, I am done. It was the first game. I will see what they do against Seattle and NE.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='545671' date='Sep 12 2007, 08:27 AM']He was sacked once. I know IF we had the 'starters' in Rudi would have had 200 yards rushing, with a long of 97 yards.

Ok, I am done. It was the first game. I will see what they do against Seattle and NE.[/quote]

I'd quit wasting my time with them...

They love to post all of these wonderful stats, stories, injuries, etc...

but all of that can still not explain our play calling, time of possession, and third down conversion rate

Just drop it and live to fight another day

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='545686' date='Sep 12 2007, 08:03 AM']I'd quit wasting my time with them...

They love to post all of these wonderful stats, stories, injuries, etc...

but all of that can still not explain our play calling, time of possession, and third down conversion rate

Just drop it and live to fight another day[/quote]

How have you explained anything other than saying it`s Brat`s shitty play calling ?

3rd down conversion rate has to do with execution.
Carson`s one sack came on 3rd down.

3-12-CIN 47 (10:17) (Shotgun) 9-C.Palmer sacked at CIN 34 for -13 yards (95-J.Johnson).

All 4 of the passes thrown to Tab Perry, were incompletions on 3rd down.

1st quarter

3-4-BAL 35 (9:10) 9-C.Palmer pass incomplete short right to 88-T.Perry.

3-4-BAL 5 (4:12) 9-C.Palmer pass incomplete short middle to 88-T.Perry.

3-4-BAL 22 (1:12) 9-C.Palmer pass incomplete short left to 88-T.Perry.

4th quarter

3-8-CIN 13 (12:32) 9-C.Palmer pass incomplete short left to 88-T.Perry.

I`ve already went over the play calling.

Rudi fumbling the ball and the Ravens running 14 plays from the Bengals 24 yard line in,
had a lot to do with time possesion. And so did the Offense using less than a minute to score their last TD.

The Bengals first half scoring drives took 7 seconds, 2:49 and 2:47.
Their scoring drive in the 2nd half took 44 seconds.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=29209&displayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2007&week=REG1"]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...7&week=REG1[/url]

3rd and 12
3rd and 8

3 - 3rd and 4's.

How do you think we got ourselves in those positions? Shitty play calling.
Sorry that I expect more from an "elite" offense. One that everyone here seems to always brag is the best in the league.

Again, first game so let's see what they do against Seattle and NE. I just wasn't happy with the play calling and I think that kind of play calling will lose us games. I still remember last year's offensive dry spell. I have never seen SD or Indy go through that kind of span. Don't use the Baltimore game from last year (again) as proof that our O is better than theirs.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='545698' date='Sep 12 2007, 08:15 AM']If we play shittily and drop [i]just[/i] enough points to win all our games and the Superbowl, I wont complain.

It's all about the W's.
VB[/quote]

My goodness, we [i]are[/i] becoming just like Steelers fans.

:D

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='545709' date='Sep 12 2007, 08:41 AM']3rd and 12
3rd and 8
3 - 3rd and 4's.
How do you think we got ourselves in those positions? Shitty play calling.[/quote]

I`m beginning to question if you even watch football.
If you do, you sure haven`t learned anything from it.

[quote]Sorry that I expect more from an "elite" offense. One that everyone here seems to always brag is the best in the league.[/quote]

I expect more too. I don`t think their problems have to do with play calling though.

[quote]Again, first game so let's see what they do against Seattle and NE. I just wasn't happy with the play calling and I think that kind of play calling will lose us games. I still remember last year's offensive dry spell. I have never seen SD or Indy go through that kind of span. Don't use the Baltimore game from last year (again) as proof that our O is better than theirs.[/quote]

There was a stretch in late November early December, where the Colts scored 17 point or less
in 4 out of 5 games. The Defenses they faced in those 4 games were the Cowboys, the Bills,
the Titans and the Jags.

I`m not going to waste my time looking at the Chargers stats . . .

Archived