RANDOM BENGAL THOUGHTS

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

This one always puzzles me in regards to the stadium deal.   This was on a ballot, everyone voted on it, it wasn't a contract signed in blood by the light of the moon.  Like the people in the county were asked directly if they wanted to do the thing and they said yes let's do the thing.  There was no trickery involved.

"Oh noes that cheap Mike Brown is taking the tax money we publicly and emphatically decided to give him! What an asshole!"

Time to quit blaming our buyer's remorse on the seller.  

While you are correct, the average voter really didn't understand what they were voting for other than it will keep the Bengals here.  They were also sold they bill of goods that they only way the Bengals could stay competitive in Cincy is if they stadium deal were passed.  They haven't really been all that competitive,  143-160-3 since stadium was completed. 

The largest thing lost on this now decades old lament: is the overall usage of that 1/2 cent sales tax. It just didn't build PBS..it also built GABP and infrastructure improvements all around the stadium areas--the Ft Washington Way project being chief. The same taxpaying public approved the sales tax referendum for the entirety of the projects--but the only one Todd Portune and the rest bellyache about is PBS. 

The stadium leases were unconnected to the sales tax--and were negotiated by both the Bengals and the Reds separately. If they are favorable to the tenants of the County-owned and operated stadia, then that is an issue which Todd Portune should force at the private negotiating table, and not through the media. But since the County has never shown the ability to do anything in this regard, then the ire should be directed their way I would think. 

Sometimes, just going to the public records can plainly say things that one won't get out of a press conference:

https://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/government/departments/budget_and_strategic_initiatives/sales_tax

And, of course, one rarely sees or hears when the same commissioners who bellyache about a 22-year old sales tax hike, make oh-by-the-way increases in 2018:

https://www.wcpo.com/news/government/hamilton-county-sales-tax-will-go-up-through-2020-then-down

(I could only wish I had such a low sales tax rate in the county I live in!)

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

The largest thing lost on this now decades old lament: is the overall usage of that 1/2 cent sales tax. It just didn't build PBS..it also built GABP and infrastructure improvements all around the stadium areas--the Ft Washington Way project being chief. The same taxpaying public approved the sales tax referendum for the entirety of the projects--but the only one Todd Portune and the rest bellyache about is PBS. 

The stadium leases were unconnected to the sales tax--and were negotiated by both the Bengals and the Reds separately. If they are favorable to the tenants of the County-owned and operated stadia, then that is an issue which Todd Portune should force at the private negotiating table, and not through the media. But since the County has never shown the ability to do anything in this regard, then the ire should be directed their way I would think. 

Sometimes, just going to the public records can plainly say things that one won't get out of a press conference:

https://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/government/departments/budget_and_strategic_initiatives/sales_tax

And, of course, one rarely sees or hears when the same commissioners who bellyache about a 22-year old sales tax hike, make oh-by-the-way increases in 2018:

https://www.wcpo.com/news/government/hamilton-county-sales-tax-will-go-up-through-2020-then-down

(I could only wish I had such a low sales tax rate in the county I live in!)

Like said above, if the Bengals had actually won anything in the last 19 years (and a 4 team division championship doesn't count) this would not be an issue.   Same goes with the Reds but their failure is way easier to understand given the lack of a salary cap in MLB. 

On 6/3/2019 at 7:35 PM, High School Harry said:

Recently John Ross was asked if he had any random thoughts about the new Bengals coaching staff, offense and his role in it

to which he replied "I like turtles".

He's probably scared of turtles.

Probably could have worked: the Bengals had strong left, and the Stealers were still playing straight up. Pass wasn't the greatest, and the failure to account for two LB's--one with a wide open lane--doomed it. Not a terrible call, just not executed at the key points. 

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Probably could have worked: the Bengals had strong left, and the Stealers were still playing straight up. Pass wasn't the greatest, and the failure to account for two LB's--one with a wide open lane--doomed it. Not a terrible call, just not executed at the key points. 

I see it as another example of our OC getting cute instead of calling a high percentage standard play for that situation.

Not to be the spelling or vocabulary KGB...but if an Internet sort of journalist really wants to be taken seriously: 

It is not playoff BIRTH, it is playoff BERTH. 

Even the usage of berth is off kilter: as it is primarily used to describe docking areas for ships. Whatevs. 

On 6/8/2019 at 9:31 PM, Le Tigre said:

Not to be the spelling or vocabulary KGB...but if an Internet sort of journalist really wants to be taken seriously: 

It is not playoff BIRTH, it is playoff BERTH. 

Even the usage of berth is off kilter: as it is primarily used to describe docking areas for ships. Whatevs. 

Maybe his girlfriend is pregnant and due in January?

On 4/24/2019 at 8:11 PM, oldschooler said:

I remember when this happened and ChicagoBengal I think it was said, "Well she has 1st round tits!" :lmao:

That was definitely a Hall of Fame moment

I died. Top moment on this board for sure.

Archived