What would you do?

[quote name='Missing Link' post='559372' date='Sep 29 2007, 04:34 PM']Here's a question I'd like to pose to you Bungal homers:
If you had the chance to go back and not pay Palmer (meaning keep Kitna and keep all your current WR's), in order to purchase a top 3 rated defense in the league right now, would you do it?
This should be interesting.....[/quote]

Actually that is an interesting question. Is my defense going to be top 3 for years to come, with everyone hitting their prime? Because Carson is.

If so, I'd have to say yes. If not, I'd have to say no.

Backer nailed it, we have a top 3 QB. We also signed him at a good price before the contracts for QBs start going up (and they will). Ask youself if your going to regret not resigning Ben sooner, because as I understand he has said he's gonna want to get PAID.

Had we not been as snake bitten on D we would have a better D by now.

Losing Pollack and Thurman has hurt us peroid, anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about football.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='559393' date='Sep 29 2007, 06:26 PM']Backer nailed it, we have a top 3 QB. We also signed him at a good price before the contracts for QBs start going up (and they will). Ask youself if your going to regret not resigning Ben sooner, because as I understand he has said he's gonna want to get PAID.
Had we not been as snake bitten on D we would have a better D by now.

Losing Pollack and Thurman has hurt us peroid, anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about football.[/quote]

So what I hear you saying is, "Yes, I would still have signed him even though the team is terribly imbalanced right now?

Pollack never had a chance to establish himself as a player (a force) so I really can't agree with that one. Thurman on the other hand had potential. He was terrible in penalties and overpersuit, but those are both expected as a rookie player and can be corrected through good coaching.

Roethlisberger will get his turn to have the money truck roll up to his house. His poor numbers last year as a result of his personal termoil may have helped the Steelers from a negotiating standpoint. He doesn't even look like the same QB this year under a new HC and OC.

If our defense was to be top 3 for several years, then I'd say yes, without a doubt. We could always get a QB better than Shitna along the way.
But, playing this hindsight game, while entertaining, is meaningless. We have Palmer for basically his entire career now, the offense is good to go, the defense has been beset by so many injuries it's reached comedy level, and that has also had a direct impact on our special teams play this year, which was a strength the last few seasons.
We need to get healthy, and in the future, draft guys that can make a difference.
What we need right now is amiracle win over the Patsies, and that will set us straight going into the bye, so we can get some players back.
We are woefully thin at LB and RB right now.
Plus, your favorite player Chris Henry will be back in a few weeks.

[quote name='Missing Link' post='559407' date='Sep 29 2007, 07:25 PM']So what I hear you saying is, "Yes, I would still have signed him even though the team is terribly imbalanced right now?

Pollack never had a chance to establish himself as a player (a force) so I really can't agree with that one. Thurman on the other hand had potential. He was terrible in penalties and overpersuit, but those are both expected as a rookie player and can be corrected through good coaching.

Roethlisberger will get his turn to have the money truck roll up to his house. His poor numbers last year as a result of his personal termoil may have helped the Steelers from a negotiating standpoint. He doesn't even look like the same QB this year under a new HC and OC.[/quote]

Our team isnt terribly imballanced because of Carson Palmer. (Frankly if were playing the hinesight game, I would have let Willie Anderson go and replaced him with Andrew Whitworth who is playing LT right now because of Levi getting back from injury, and is doing a damn good job of it, thus with LT being tougher putting Whitworth at RT, I'd bet he'd do well.)

Pollack was comming on, I know you watched the playoff game, he was the best LB on the field that day. We agree on what Thurman could have brought, hopefully he finally gets his head on and gets back next year. Now to me the question on both thurman and pollack (pollack more so due to the nature of his injury) is that they both have been out of the league 2 years, and for any player that is a life time. I suspect we will draft at least one linebacker high in the draft. And Once Brooks gets and stays healthy, he has shown flashes of brillance.

It may help the steelers from a negoiation standpoint, it may not. Alot of teams are always looking for a QB, thats why Im gladd we got Palmer locked up when we did. Its much more difficult to find a good QB than it is any other position.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='559439' date='Sep 29 2007, 08:46 PM']Our team isnt terribly imballanced because of Carson Palmer. (Frankly if were playing the hinesight game, I would have let Willie Anderson go and replaced him with Andrew Whitworth who is playing LT right now because of Levi getting back from injury, and is doing a damn good job of it, thus with LT being tougher putting Whitworth at RT, I'd bet he'd do well.)

Pollack was comming on, I know you watched the playoff game, he was the best LB on the field that day. We agree on what Thurman could have brought, hopefully he finally gets his head on and gets back next year. Now to me the question on both thurman and pollack (pollack more so due to the nature of his injury) is that they both have been out of the league 2 years, and for any player that is a life time. I suspect we will draft at least one linebacker high in the draft. And Once Brooks gets and stays healthy, he has shown flashes of brillance.

[b]It may help the steelers from a negoiation standpoint, it may not. Alot of teams are always looking for a QB, thats why Im gladd we got Palmer locked up when we did. Its much more difficult to find a good QB than it is any other position[/b].[/quote]

Jaime, did you just inadvertantly call Ben a good QB?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='559630' date='Sep 30 2007, 02:02 PM']Ive said as much before, you just dont pay attention. I just have said he isnt in the same league as Palmer, its not even close.[/quote]

I'm not getting into this argument again.

Looks like the Browns are shooting for second place this year...

[quote name='oftt4' post='559633' date='Sep 30 2007, 02:14 PM']I'm not getting into this argument again.

Looks like the Browns are shooting for second place this year...[/quote]opponent records as of right now

bengals opponents: 10 - 5
steelers opponents: 6 - 9

gee, i wonder why you guys are off to such a great start? :rolleyes:

enjoy losing to arizona

Archived