The key moment / turning point

Posted this on another board... Just got back from the game. I thought the best moment was at the end of the first half, when Mike Brown's "build through the draft only" approach to football (Jonathan Joseph) went up against the Patriots' "supplement the draft through spending money in free agency" approach (Randy Moss). Thoughts on which approach is better?

Did not post this on the other board, but this one seems to have more Mike Brown apologists. What do you guys think?

It does make you wonder why so many people are so adamant about NEVER paying for a free agent thats older than 25 years, etc etc etc.... Its illogical to expect that no one who is a free agent that you have to pay at least a little something for will never pan out. That mental model, in itself, is a signature thought process of the Bad Ol' days. Sometimes, you have to spend some money. Sometimes, you have to trade a fourth rounder. Status quo, after 20 years, doesnt work. Stop trying to make it work.

Its a company line towed by those unwilling to admit that Marvins/Mikes way doesnt work.

I personally dont get it.

[quote name='top6' post='561651' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:35 AM']Posted this on another board... Just got back from the game. I thought the best moment was at the end of the first half, when Mike Brown's "build through the draft only" approach to football (Jonathan Joseph) went up against the Patriots' "supplement the draft through spending money in free agency" approach (Randy Moss). Thoughts on which approach is better?

Did not post this on the other board, but this one seems to have more Mike Brown apologists. What do you guys think?[/quote]

We just pick the bad ones. Would have Seau helped our Young D, HELL YES!!!!! We took Sam Adams. What about Hartwell? He just wasn't good enough obviously.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='561703' date='Oct 1 2007, 11:54 PM']I thought the turning point was the INT Carson threw right before the half . . .[/quote]

a key moment, maybe not the turning point. It certainly deflated the team and they unraveled--coupled with the usual zero halftime adjustments,

[quote name='Actium' post='561735' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:15 AM']a key moment, maybe not the turning point. It certainly deflated the team and they unraveled--coupled with the [b]usual zero halftime adjustments,[/b][/quote]

You say that as if we've [b]ever[/b] made a halftime adjustment... <_<

[quote name='Elflocko' post='561749' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:21 AM']You say that as if we've [b]ever[/b] made a halftime adjustment... <_<[/quote]

You'd think I'd expect nothing.

At least the Padres-Rockies game was exciting. Wow.

A home run that didn't count, extra innings, a phantom winning run that never crossed the plate, a bloody nose...it had it all.

[quote]I thought the turning point was the INT Carson threw right before the half . . .[/quote]
Well, Mike Brown also drafted him. And signed him to a very long-term deal even though he had a few years left on his contract. So to the extent that this loss was Carson's fault, it was also Mike Brown's fault (which was the not-so-subtle thesis of my post).

Funny how it works out that when you own and completely control a team that sucks for years and years, the team's failures generally end up being perceived as your fault.

I like the thinking of getting young fresh players and letting the gel and become a solid team. Only real problem with that is that when these guys start to show some progress their contracts are up and they go where the money is.
MULLY
seems to me the turning point was when Kitna left. Not a great QB but he may have been a helluva leader for the team....and for Carson.

[quote name='top6' post='561756' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:26 AM']Well, Mike Brown also drafted him. And signed him to a very long-term deal even though he had a few years left on his contract. So to the extent that this loss was Carson's fault, it was also Mike Brown's fault (which was the not-so-subtle thesis of my post).

Funny how it works out that when you own and completely control a team that sucks for years and years, the team's failures generally end up being perceived as your fault.[/quote]

LMFAO !

Well damn. Using that kind of logic, it`s God`s fault
for creating Mike Brown . . . :rolleyes:

[quote name='Goodfella' post='561755' date='Oct 1 2007, 11:25 PM']The fact we have come full circle, and are now reading soP threads again is perhaps the most depressing thing to take place tonight. Is it really happening? Please let this be a dream ...[/quote]
Am I right or wrong? I'm confused. Obviousy, we will always be reading soP threads because it his team and he has never hired a GM to run the team for him. When he hires X to run the team for him, we can post "soP should not have hired and should fire X" threads. As he has never done that, in spite of his oh-so-clever ruse of hiring Marvin as head coach/PR spokesperson, we must continue to post soP threads. Note, those threads must include praise of soP when he makes good decisions, which are abundant on this board.

(Note, I will praise soP in some ways. Good choice of Carson Palmer. Good choice of Chad Johnson. Good hiring of Marvin Lewis.)

[quote name='top6' post='561651' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:35 AM']Posted this on another board... Just got back from the game. I thought the best moment was at the end of the first half, when Mike Brown's "build through the draft only" approach to football (Jonathan Joseph) went up against the Patriots' "supplement the draft through spending money in free agency" approach (Randy Moss). Thoughts on which approach is better?

Did not post this on the other board, but this one seems to have more Mike Brown apologists. What do you guys think?[/quote]

really? soooo if half of our draft picks werent crippled or suspended we would be in the same boat? the patriots got to this point building through the draft and keeping thier own talent, they have guys wanting to take paycuts to keep on a winning team, how the fuck do you expect the bengals to get players like that? perhaps the bengals offered AT 2 mil more per year and he sdeclined to go to the patriots?

and moss isnt as good as the defenses are bad, id brady doesnt have 45 minutes to throw, he is threading needles to moss, he is scrabbling and throwing the ball away. we have no linebackers currently.. none...

what does our defense have to do with randy moss?

you aregumenet is we need free agnets like randy moss, a inkown trouble maker around the league not many teams wanted to tough?

great plan.

has nothing to do with mike brown.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='561765' date='Oct 1 2007, 11:30 PM']LMFAO !
Well damn. Using that kind of logic, it`s God`s fault
for creating Mike Brown . . . :rolleyes:[/quote]
Maybe you don't understand. When you undertake to be in charge of something, you are responsible when that something fails. Mike Brown is ultimately responsible when this team systematically fails, as he has undertaken to be in charge of it. Actually, I don't think he would even disagree with that. For all his faults in running football teams, I think he actually does have some sense of right/wrong/personal responsibilty.

I, personally, have never undertaken a project at my job without accepting responsibility for its ultimate success or failure - even when, in reality, the outcome was controlled by people who worked under me. I don't see why Mike Brown should be any different. (Of course, I'm not sure he thinks of the Bengals as failures as they are making money for him, but that's a topic for another day.)

[quote name='top6' post='561771' date='Oct 2 2007, 01:35 AM']Maybe you don't understand. When you undertake to be in charge of something, you are responsible when that something fails. Mike Brown is ultimately responsible when this team systematically fails, as he has undertaken to be in charge of it. Actually, I don't think he would even disagree with that. For all his faults in running football teams, I think he actually does have some sense of right/wrong/personal responsibilty. I, personally, have never undertaken a project at my job without accepting responsibility for its ultimate success or failure - even when, in reality, the outcome was controlled by people who worked under me. I don't see why Mike Brown should be any different. (Of course, I'm not sure he thinks of the Bengals as failures as they are making money for him, but that's a topic for another day.)[/quote]this is foolish. your own explanation is backwards, in your theory/explanation, mike brown is a huge success, he took his humbled failed business venture and turned into into a positive successful thriving cash cow. with tickets sold into next season and a waiting list. mike browns "project" is on backorder there is so much demand.there is enormous talent on the bengals payrole. is it your fault, the team hasnt had a losing season since marvin was hired. and frankly, the bengals record in week 4 is hardly a judging milestone. does your boss often sneak peak into your project when half the parts you need are delayed out of your hands and your behind schedule? and is he still a grumpy bitch if it is a huge hit and makes the playoffs in 2-3 months? afterall what did all that bitching crying and moaning about absurd nonsense really accomplish a few months back? aside from pointing out that he was an illogical twit willing to put blame on someone he scorns rather that accept reality and view the situation without bias?your boss is a fool.[quote name='top6' post='561651' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:35 AM']Did not post this on the other board, but this one seems to have more Mike Brown apologists. What do you guys think?[/quote]so the dozen guys still bitching at mike browns sucks.com already beat you to it so you decided here was a good spot?

turning points..
Richie Braham retired... Bluto was to be the guy this year.. injuries have set him back.
linebackers ...theyre all injured!
running backs... theyre injured..
third down recievers...theyve been injured..

starting to see why the team is what it is?

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='561836' date='Oct 2 2007, 03:33 AM']turning points..
Richie Braham retired... Bluto was to be the guy this year.. injuries have set him back.
linebackers ...theyre all injured!
running backs... theyre injured..
third down recievers...theyve been injured..

[b]starting to see why the team is what it is?[/b][/quote]

[i].... and the 2008 version [b]WILL BE[/b] much better.[/i]

What do I think? Joseph had damn fine coverage and just got out-played by a superior player. What else did you expect Joseph to do other than grow 6 inches?

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='561846' date='Oct 2 2007, 05:24 AM'][img]http://limewoody.files.wordpress.com/2006/03/aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2.jpg[/img][/quote]

HA! You could just sense them waiting for the chance last night. We get to enjoy two weeks of the "SOP" crap.

Archived