Marshall to IR

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='562524' date='Oct 2 2007, 05:32 PM']Sounds like last year. I love when people use the fact that we are more than one player away as a reason not to get any player. Might as well save that cap money for a rainy day eh? No one good out there eh? Not for the Bengals anyway... :mellow:[/quote]

I love when people demand trades for the sake of making trades. I also love how you seem to think the Bengals have cap room to throw around. Who's available? What will they cost? What are the team's financial constraints?

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='562532' date='Oct 2 2007, 05:37 PM']Thats because now is not when you want to be worrying about this.

[b]The time to worry about this was last offseason when everyone here and Marvin Lewis himself, swore that we were good to go at LB. [/b]
Many here knew that we were going into the season with a swiss cheese defense. Then once the injury bug bit us...well thats all it takes to sink teams like the Bengals.

But I'm with you man... people need to get realistic. There isnt anyone out there, and even if there was, we wouldnt have any interest anyway. The seats are already sold out, so why spend anymore money?[/quote]

we came into training camp with this LB corp:

[b]Landon Johnson [/b](a solid vet who got hurt a lot, but played hurt and was his healthiest since joining the team)
[b]Caleb Miller
Ahmad Brooks [/b](in many's opinion, a stud in the making)
[b]Rashad Jeanty[/b] ( a solid starter from last year still growing into the role)
[b]Ed Hartwell[/b] (an aging vet that seemed to have something still left in the tank)
Earl Everett (a rookie)
Andre Frazier (mainly a special teamer)
Muncy (another rookie)
[b]Eric Henderson[/b] ( a guy they had high hopes for to be a wrecking ball along with Brooks)

Add to that, they truly expected [b]Odell Thurman[/b] to be back.

Jeanty was the only one who had any kind of injury at the start of training camp, and they didn't expect him to be out this long.

I highlighted the ones that would be on the team right now in their eyes:

Landon
Caleb
Ahmad
Odell
Rashad
Hartwell
Henderson

That's a pretty solid LB corp. Not one of them finished lastnight's game. How can you predict that?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='562552' date='Oct 2 2007, 05:54 PM']we came into training camp with this LB corp:

[b]Landon Johnson [/b](a solid vet who got hurt a lot, but played hurt and was his healthiest since joining the team)
[b]Caleb Miller
Ahmad Brooks [/b](in many's opinion, a stud in the making)
[b]Rashad Jeanty[/b] ( a solid starter from last year still growing into the role)
[b]Ed Hartwell[/b] (an aging vet that seemed to have something still left in the tank)
Earl Everett (a rookie)
Andre Frazier (mainly a special teamer)
Muncy (another rookie)
[b]Eric Henderson[/b] ( a guy they had high hopes for to be a wrecking ball along with Brooks)
Add to that, they truly expected [b]Odell Thurman[/b] to be back.

Jeanty was the only one who had any kind of injury at the start of training camp, and they didn't expect him to be out this long.

I highlighted the ones that would be on the team right now in their eyes:

Landon
Caleb
Ahmad
Odell
Rashad
Hartwell
Henderson

That's a pretty solid LB corp. Not one of them finished lastnight's game. How can you predict that?[/quote]

Landon - A servicable vet. Nothing special, nothing crappy. Like Oatmeal.
Caleb. - lol I knew what Caleb was..not sure what anyone else was expecting.
Ahmad - yes we expected great things, but still unproven
Odell - Wasnt even in Marvin's plans..wouldnt have been in mine either. If he is still in yours, you might be late for work because you are still dreaming.
Rashad - Who? Yeah, he look OK last year. I guess.
Hartwell - Yawn. I admit I didn't expect him to suck THAT bad, but he screamed Kevin Hardy Part II to me the second he signed. After a while shit starts to repeat here, though the names change. Who will be our Nate Webster next year do you suppose?
Henderson - lol who? exactly.

See... this list does not inspire confidence. Once they started getting hurt... bad to worse. But anyone who felt good about this group, even if healthy... well those are the same people that were hoping for Pollacks return this season too I bet.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='562560' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:02 PM']Landon - A servicable vet. Nothing special, nothing crappy. Like Oatmeal.
Odell - Wasnt even in Marvin's plans..wouldnt have been in mine either. If he is still in yours, you might be late for work because you are still dreaming.
Hartwell - Yawn. I admit I didn't expect him to suck THAT bad, but he screamed Kevin Hardy Part II to me the second he signed. After a while shit starts to repeat here, though the names change. [b]Who will be our Nate Webster next year do you suppose?[/b]

See... this list does not inspire confidence. Once they started getting hurt... bad to worse. But anyone who felt good about this group, even if healthy... well those are the same people that were hoping for Pollacks return this season too I bet.[/quote]
you're a real fucking idiot. Nate Webster was a very good player for us till he got hurt. He was a player that Brooks and Kiffen said GREAT things about in Tampa and when he left. A few teams were trying to get him and we signed him. He was a badass who was about to prove so. He starts proving it and blows out his knee. He is having a good season in Denver now.

jeanty showed a lot for a rookie at a new position.

odell was planned to be back, thats why they had a place rented out for him, dipshit.

if hartwell was hardy part 2, it would have been fine, considering he was a backup and not a starter.

ahmad has shown how important he is to our team already.

[quote name='Bean Counter' post='562520' date='Oct 2 2007, 04:30 PM']So enlighten us oh genuis armchair GM, what quality linebackers are available? You can't buy what isn't out there.[/quote]

Then what's your solution, oh great one--keep playing our goddam Safeties at LB while other teams run it down out throat?

Or starting a game with only FOUR HEALTY LINEBACKERS? What's the GENIUS in that?

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='562567' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:06 PM']Then what's your solution, oh great one--keep playing our goddam Safeties at LB while other teams run it down out throat?

Or starting a game with only FOUR HEALTY LINEBACKERS? What's the GENIUS in that?[/quote]

So Marvin should just shit some linebackers then? We were all ready scraping the waiver wire for warm bodies.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='562560' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:02 PM']Landon - A servicable vet. Nothing special, nothing crappy. Like Oatmeal.
Hartwell - Yawn. I admit I didn't expect him to suck THAT bad, but he screamed Kevin Hardy Part II to me the second he signed. After a while shit starts to repeat here, though the names change. Who will be our Nate Webster next year do you suppose?

See... this list does not inspire confidence. Once they started getting hurt... bad to worse. But anyone who felt good about this group, even if healthy... well those are the same people that were hoping for Pollacks return this season too I bet.[/quote]

well yea, it does look like an unispiring list to people who don't know anything about football. Sorry that there aren't any big names on the list for ya.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='562493' date='Oct 2 2007, 05:09 PM'][b]Is Lewis in trouble? No. The stadium was sold-out Monday night for the 30th consecutive time, and the crowd was a franchise record. Merchandise is flying off shelves like never before. And maybe there's an attitude somewhere in the building that 8-8 and 9-7 are good records.[/b]
Of course there is...and it comes straight from Mike Brown's office. Gutsy of Curnutte to imply what many of us have always known though...[/quote]

what foolsih mind thinks 8-8 or 9-7 makes more money than 10-6 ot 11-5??

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='562567' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:06 PM']Then what's your solution, oh great one--keep playing our goddam Safeties at LB while other teams run it down out throat?

Or starting a game with only FOUR HEALTY LINEBACKERS? What's the GENIUS in that?[/quote]

what did you expect them to do? Cut someone they can't afford to cut to bring in another LB who won't be able to learn the defense by the start of the game? What good would that do?

They did the only thing they could do, hope they could get through the game with the 4 LB's they had and get into the bye where they'd get 2 starters back.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='562575' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:11 PM']what foolsih mind thinks 8-8 or 9-7 makes more money than 10-6 ot 11-5??[/quote]

I guess mean old Mike Brown does. You know he was the evil genius behind global warming, nuclear weapons and New Coke don't you? :rolleyes:

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='562566' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:06 PM']you're a real fucking idiot. Nate Webster was a very good player for us till he got hurt. He was a player that Brooks and Kiffen said GREAT things about in Tampa and when he left. A few teams were trying to get him and we signed him. He was a badass who was about to prove so. He starts proving it and blows out his knee. He is having a good season in Denver now.[/quote]lol yeah "Little Ray" is da man... :P [quote]jeanty showed a lot for a rookie at a new position.[/quote]I thought so too. TONS of upside, that kid. B) [quote]odell was planned to be back, thats why they had a place rented out for him, dipshit.[/quote]More like a piece of paper on a door, but I get your point. Your point is wrong though. Because if they were planning on him being back, I mean if he was ANY type of factor in their major plans, then they are even dumber than...well, then they are pretty dumb. [quote]if hartwell was hardy part 2, it would have been fine, considering he was a backup and not a starter.[/quote]lol I was being optimistic with the Hardy comparison ;)[quote]ahmad has shown how important he is to our team already.[/quote]You mean in that ne game this season? Hey I wont argue with that, I liked what I saw of him last year too. And once he is healthy, I think he might be a beast too. Johnson is a guy I like too. Really seems to have come of age. But that's 2. Unless you are injury free all season and always in the nickel, that aint gonna cut it. And we havent been, and we aren't.[quote name='Bengals1181' post='562573' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:11 PM']well yea, it does look like an unispiring list to people who don't know anything about football. Sorry that there aren't any big names on the list for ya.[/quote]I see better than I hear.

[quote name='Bean Counter' post='562578' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:14 PM']I guess mean old Mike Brown does. You know he was the evil genius behind global warming, nuclear weapons [b]and New Coke [/b]don't you?[/quote]

So HE'S the rat bastard? I knew I'd one day find him.

-jd

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='562581' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:16 PM']lol yeah "Little Ray" is da man... :P I thought so too. TONS of upside, that kid. B) More like a piece of paper on a door, but I get your point. Your point is wrong though. Because if they were planning on him being back, I mean if he was ANY type of factor in their major plans, then they are even dumber than...well, then they are pretty dumb. lol I was being optimistic with the Hardy comparison ;)You mean in that ne game this season? Hey I wont argue with that, I liked what I saw of him last year too. And once he is healthy, I think he might be a beast too. Johnson is a guy I like too. Really seems to have come of age. But that's 2. Unless you are injury free all season and always in the nickel, that aint gonna cut it. And we havent been, and we aren't.I see better than I hear.[/quote]
with Brooks in the middle and landon on one side, the 3rd LB doesnt have to be that great, Brooks will make up for it. Brooks was sick in the Ravens game and still played well and hit people hard. He disrupts the entire oline when he blitzes. He requires 2 blockers and it helps the other lineman. plus jeanty should be back this week, so thats the 3 starters.

they werent expecting odell to be in the major plans, but as a solid backup? i think so and why not, he was clean and we still havent seen a reason to justify his suspension.

put brooks back out there with jeanty and lj and this defense is good enough to keep us in games. the offense needs to do what they are being paid (very well) to do.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='562581' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:16 PM']lol yeah "Little Ray" is da man... :P I thought so too. TONS of upside, that kid. B) More like a piece of paper on a door, but I get your point. Your point is wrong though. Because if they were planning on him being back, I mean if he was ANY type of factor in their major plans, then they are even dumber than...well, then they are pretty dumb. lol I was being optimistic with the Hardy comparison ;)You mean in that ne game this season? Hey I wont argue with that, I liked what I saw of him last year too. And once he is healthy, I think he might be a beast too. Johnson is a guy I like too. Really seems to have come of age. But that's 2. Unless you are injury free all season and always in the nickel, that aint gonna cut it. And we havent been, and we aren't.I see better than I hear.[/quote]

Why even posting if you are so pissed. You sound like a whiny bitch stealer fan and not worth our time.

[quote][size=5][b]LB Mays claimed from Patriots [/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

The Bengals placed linebacker Lemar Marshall on injured reserve Tuesday with a torn left Achilles tendon.

Marshall, a St. Xavier High School grad, suffered the season-ending injury on the second play of Monday night's 34-13 loss against New England. He signed a one-year deal with the Bengals on Aug. 23 after being released by Washington in the preseason. He had started all four games for the Bengals, registering 10 tackles, one sack and a forced fumble.

A former Patriot will take Marshall's spot on the roster. Corey Mays, a second-year linebacker from Notre Dame, was claimed on waivers Tuesday. The Patriots had waived Mays before Monday night's game. He played in the season opener against the New York Jets, making one tackle of special teams, but had been inactive for games against San Diego and Buffalo.

Mays is 6 feet 1, 245 pounds. He spent a portion of last season on New England's practice squad after signing with the team as an undrafted free agent but he also ended up playing in eight games for the Patriots.

Injuries have devastated the Bengals linebackers this season. Marshall was playing on the strong side for Rashad Jeanty, who has been out of the lineup since the preseason with calf injury that required surgery. The team held a roster spot for Jeanty with the expectation that he will be ready to return to play after this weekend's bye.

The Bengals next play Oct. 14 at Kansas City.

Middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks has not played since straining his groin at Cleveland on Sept. 16, while Caleb Miller suffered a lower back injury at Seattle on Sept. 23 playing in place of Brooks. The Bengals lost weak side linebacker Landon Johnson to an eye injury against New England, leaving them to play with just two healthy linebackers, Anthony Schlegel and Dhani Jones.

Schlegel was claimed on waivers Sept. 2 after the New York Jets released him, while Jones signed a one-year contract as a free agent on Sept. 19. Jones is in his ninth season in the league, having played four years each with the New York Giants and Philadelphia. He was with New Orleans in the preseason but the Saints released him.

Schlegel had five tackles against New England, while Jones was credited with four tackles.

[b]LOW RANK - [/b]Through the first four weeks of the season the Bengals defense is 30th in the league in overall defense, allowing 403 yards per game, and 31st in points allowed. The Bengals have given up 129 points, the most of any team, but on average per game New Orleans is the only team giving up more. The Saints had their bye last week.

The Bengals are last in the league in yards allowed per rush. Opponents are averaging 5.3 yards per rushing attempt this season. The Bengals have allowed a 100-yard rusher each of the last three games, including Cleveland's Jamal Lewis rushing for 216 yards against them.

The offense has better numbers, although their play has been inconsistent. The Bengals are No. 6 in the league averaging 365.5 yards per game and are seventh in points scored, averaging 26.5 points per game.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071003/SPT03/710030306/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...06/1022/RSS0302[/url]

Archived