Dusty Baker Hired To A 3 Year Deal!

mroby85

[quote name='Tha Muthaphukkin Truth' post='570722' date='Oct 15 2007, 03:42 PM']HaHa...I Bet Y'all Racist Faggot Azz Bologna Smellin Honkeyz Iz Mad @ Diz!!![/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]White people do not smell like bologna, you fucking dumbass.........................................

they smell like Raspberry Yogurt. :)

[/b][/color]

:ninja:

[quote][size=3][b]Winning all that matters[/b][/size]
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky and CEO Bob Castellini sat on either side of their new manager, Dusty Baker, on Monday.

It was about what you would expect from this kind of press conference. Both men said how excited they were to have Baker managing the team, and when it was his turn, Baker reciprocated.

But what none of the men discussed directly was how much they all need each other to succeed.

Krivsky is entering the final year of his contract. If he wants to keep his job, he needs Baker to turn around a team that just finished 72-90.

If Baker's going to win, he'll need Krivsky to give him the right mix of players. And only by winning can Baker regain his reputation as one of baseball's best managers - a reputation that was damaged his last two years as Cubs manager.

And if Castellini's going to return to the good graces of Reds fans after the disappointing 2007 season, he needs the Krivsky-Baker team to click.

Baker has a three-year contract for $11 million to manage the Reds through 2010, according to USA Today. The Reds approached Baker shortly after Jerry Narron was fired in July, and he was really the only candidate the team considered after narrowing the field.

Baker, 58, fit the bill as a big-name candidate. He has managed in the big leagues for 14 years, won 90 games or more five times and won three manager of the year awards.

He took the Giants to the World Series in 2002, and he had the Cubs on the cusp in 2003.

"(But) it wasn't the name," Krivsky said. "It's the person. It's the background, the experience."

Krivsky did the leg work. The more he learned about Baker, the more impressed he was.

"This guy is a winner," Krivsky said. "Someone who communicates and creates an attitude that winning is the only thing."

"(And)," Krivsky added, " we're going to go after it, but we're going to do it the right way, a professional way. He commands that respect. Players want to play for Dusty Baker."

Castellini, of course, made the final call.

"We considered a lot of people," Castellini said. "We set the bar high. I got very comfortable with Dusty."

Baker comes into a tough situation. The Reds just finished their seventh consecutive losing season.

"Let's be honest. Most of the time you don't take over a winning situation," Baker said. "You take over a team that's not doing very well. When I took over the Giants, they were at the bottom. When I took over the Cubs, they were at the bottom."

What Baker did in his first year with those clubs may be the most impressive thing on his resume:

The Giants went 72-90 in 1992. Baker took over in 1993 and they went 103-59.

The Cubs went 67-95 in 2002. Baker took over in 2003, and they went 88-74.

But things ended badly for Baker in Chicago. The team went 66-96 in 2006. He was fired, and roundly blamed for the injuries to pitchers Kerry Wood and Mark Prior. The rap was Baker ignored pitch counts and left his starters in games too long.

Baker defended himself Monday.

"You've got to look at my total history, my 14 years," he said. "There's always questions about anyone. I did what I thought was best at the time for the team, the city, the organization and the players ...

"The one thing I pride myself on is keeping my players on the field and keeping them healthy as long as possible. If you keep your frontline players on the field, you give yourself the best chance to win."

Baker is known for favoring veterans over young players. The Reds are a young team, and in the days leading up to his hiring, some fans questioned if Baker was the right manager for this team.

Baker has no such doubts, saying he loves the Reds' roster mix.

"I'm excited about it," he said. "I've always wanted a young team. Everyone says, 'Dusty doesn't like young players.' I was a 19-year-player in the big leagues. How could I not like young players? I just didn't have many young players to like. That followed me from the Giants. The Giants are still in the same situation, and I ain't been there in five years."

But Baker knows Krivsky is going to have to get him players to turn this team around.

"It starts with the players," he said. "I'm just the band leader. You're only as good as your players. You learn that the hard way sometimes."

Baker thinks his reputation will help the Reds improve the roster.

"I've had a number of players call me and say they're interested in coming to Cincinnati," he said. "Hopefully, we can choose the right guys to win us a championship in the near future."

That would do wonders for Krivsky's career and Castellini's image with the fans.

Someone mentioned that Cincinnati was hungry for a winner.

"I'm starving for a winner myself," Baker said. "Hopefully, we'll eat together."[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071016/SPT04/710160329"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote][b]WHAT BAKER SAYS ... [/b]

"You've got to look at my total history, my 14 years. There's always questions about anyone. I did what I thought was best at the time for the team, the city, the organization and the players. ... The one thing I pride myself on is keeping my players on the field and keeping them healthy as long as possible. If you keep your front-line players on the field, you give yourself the best chance to win."

"I'm still trying to figure out what a players' manager is. What's the opposite of that? I'm just being me. That's all I know."

"I've always wanted a young team. Everyone says, 'Dusty doesn't like young players.' I was a 19-year-player in the big leagues. How could I not like young players? I just didn't have many young players to like. That followed me from the Giants. The Giants are still in the same situation and I ain't been there in five years."

"Wristbands were always part of my uniform.

I've always worn them since I was a little kid. The toothpick - I was trying to stop dipping tobacco. That's why I started using those. My family hated (dipping)." Does it work? "Until about the seventh inning when the bases are loaded."

John Fay[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071016/SPT04/710160329"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote name='sneaky' post='570883' date='Oct 15 2007, 06:13 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]White people do not smell like bologna, you fucking dumbass.........................................
[/b][/color]

:ninja:[/quote]

I like Raspberry yogurt.

[quote name='sneaky' post='570883' date='Oct 15 2007, 06:13 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]White people do not smell like bologna, you fucking dumbass.........................................
[/b][/color]

:ninja:[/quote]

I hear we smell like cheese. That's what those Asians (who smell like dead fish, BTW) say.

[quote][size=5][b]Baker critics don't let facts get in the way [/b][/size]
Oct. 15, 2007
By Ray Ratto
CBSSports.com Columnist

Dusty Baker has just been hired to manage the Cincinnati Reds, which set one corner of the baseball world into full tizz alert. The corner that thinks to its soul that Dusty Baker is a horrible, player-first, pitcher-abusing, overpaid, bad-on-TV, thin-skinned failure of a manager.

Well, that's what having two out-of-contention seasons in Chicago will get you.

Baker is an unusual hire for the Reds, in that he has never worked for the Reds. Cincinnati is an insular town with an insular ballclub, and the results of that insularity, combined with cheap and/or dim owners and a spotty development system, have combined to produce a team of profound mediocrity.

In Baker, though, the new owners have hired an Internet piñata of the first magnitude, so this seems like as good a time as any analyze what about Baker makes his critics so crazy, and whether in fact it is true.

[b]"Horrible."[/b] A winning percentage of .527 is better than horrible, and so is 10 in-contention finishes in 14 years. "Horrible," when used without any statistical or analytical backup, only means that the user of the word doesn't like him. Did he have good players when he won? Duh. Did he have bad players when he lost? See Question 1. That's typically how this works. Managers ride their talent, they don't override them. Basic baseball truth, that.

[b]"Player-first."[/b] Here, guilty. Baker defends his players in public, sometimes to an almost uncomfortable degree, because that's the kind of player he was -– one who wanted his manager not to hang him out to dry in the morning paper.

The largest example of this was Barry Bonds, but in that case, Baker was simply acceding to the first law of managing -– when your owner coddles your best player, that's the philosophy that prevails throughout the organization. In San Francisco, Barry Bonds was the emperor, and even those who thought it was Baker's idea saw that nothing changed after he left.

[b]"Pitcher-abusing." [/b]The prime examples here are Mark Prior and Kerry Wood, and they are both bad ones. Prior's injury history is (a) colliding with Marcus Giles; (b ) blowing an Achilles' tendon; © being hit on the elbow with a Brad Hawpe line drive; and (d) shoulder issues that might have not been properly diagnosed by the Cubs doctors and in any event might well have resulted from any or all of the three other injuries.

Wood has had a chronic bad elbow that was predicted when he first broke into the big leagues because of his high-energy delivery, and in any event began in 1999, four years before Baker got to Chicago. He also had a knee problem, which might have been the result of compensating for his arm issues.

On the other hand, Baker always scored high in what numbers-based seamheads call "pitcher abuse" points, because he let his starters go 120 pitches and beyond. Since many of those pitchers were Livan Hernandez, who by any definition breaks that rule all to hell, this might be exaggerated somewhat.

The Giants pitcher he is most commonly linked with in this area is Robb Nen, who like Wood had a history before he got to San Francisco and, like Wood, maintained the same high-torque delivery. Should Baker have had those deliveries changed? Maybe, but they might have also cost those pitchers their careers just as certainly.

He did ride hot hands, true, but teams in contention always do so. Was he predisposed toward high pitch counts? Yes. Is that good? As a rule, no. Is there a trail of destroyed pitchers in his wake? Not really, once you see that Prior and Wood aren't good examples of Baker's alleged "abuse." In other words, shut up about Aaron Harang and Homer Bailey.

[b]"Bad on TV."[/b] A matter of taste at best, spiteful at worst, and not worth discussing in this context.

[b]"Overpaid."[/b] He has made good money in a job where the new trend is to underpay and undercut. He is paid what his employer is comfortable paying him, so in that context no. Compared to a teacher, or a nurse, or a janitor, or an entry-level anything, hell yes.

[b]"Thin-skinned."[/b] Maybe, but that's only if you believe Lou Piniella is a gentle soul, or Tony La Russa lets criticism roll off his back, or Ozzie Guillen is a Zen master.

Baker has had no recorded YouTube-quality tantrums, but he does speak his mind and defend his turf, perhaps to his detriment if your idea of the perfect manager's temperament is Joe Torre. He does pay more attention to public commentary than he should, but that hardly puts him at the front of the pack.

[b]"Failure."[/b] Yeah, right. Next to Bonds, he is the most important hire Peter Magowan ever made as managing general whatever of the Giants. He managed the only team in the post-playoff world to win as many as 103 games and not get into the playoffs. He was one Scott Spiezio golf swing from managing a team to the World Series title. He was one Alex Gonzalez error from being the manager when the Cubs got to their first World Series since 1945. Yeah, that sucks. He's brutal. Chase him with sticks.

Is Dusty Baker a good hire then? The short answer is he isn't bad at all. The more involved answer is, that depends on Adam Dunn and Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips and Harang and Bailey and Wayne Krivsky and Bob Castellini.

In other words, when evaluating Baker, trust nobody and nothing except (a) your own lying eyes, and (b ) the standings. That last one is a handy and much underrated tool for this sort of thing.

[i]Ray Ratto is a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle. [/i][/quote]

[url="http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10410305/1"]http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10410305/1[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Baker on the reaction [/b][/size]

I continue to get emails and posts to the blog about the impending doom of the Reds because of the hiring of Dusty Baker. Baker wasn't surprised by the reaction his hiring received.

“There was negative reaction when Joe Torre took over the Yankees,” Baker said.

He thinks he's getting ripped because of the way it ended with Chicago Cubs. His last season -- he went 66-96 in 2006 -- was by far his worst as a manager.

“I guess that’s what people remember the most," he said. "That’s what they should remember the least.”

What Baker would like you to look at:

[b]--The 1992 Giants went 72-90. Baker took over in '93 and the club went 103-59.

--The 2002 Cubs went 67-95. Baker took over in '03 and the club went 88-74 and came with in one Bartman move of the making the World Series.

--He's reached 88 wins or more eight times in span when the Reds have hit or exceeded that total once.[/b][/quote]

[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='571327' date='Oct 16 2007, 11:59 AM'][url="http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10410305/1"]http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10410305/1[/url][/quote]

I couldn't agree with that writer any more if I tried. Kudos to that guy, and jeers to people who honestly think Dusty hasn't been a successful manager. He'll be successful here, and I can't wait to be that guy who digs up old threads on here to rub some noses in it. :wave:

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='571433' date='Oct 16 2007, 03:26 PM']I couldn't agree with that writer any more if I tried. Kudos to that guy, and jeers to people who honestly think Dusty hasn't been a successful manager. He'll be successful here, and I can't wait to be that guy who digs up old threads on here to rub some noses in it. :wave:[/quote]

completely agree... make sure you bring up my posts as well.

The guy is a winner and I think he'll be a great addition to this franchise as they attempt to get things turned around

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='571433' date='Oct 16 2007, 02:26 PM']I couldn't agree with that writer any more if I tried. Kudos to that guy, and jeers to people who honestly think Dusty hasn't been a successful manager. He'll be successful here, and I can't wait to be that guy who digs up old threads on here to rub some noses in it. :wave:[/quote]

I wasn`t happy at first, but the more I read and thought about it,
the more I`m starting to like it.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='571664' date='Oct 16 2007, 10:19 PM']so is Cincinnati the first city to have both of it's major sports teams coached by African American coaches ?[/quote]

hmm... Cleveland has basketball and football...

But yeah.. all i can think of is Cincy in terms of football and baseball....

How many black coaches are there in baseball?

Dear Onxy,

I'm sorry [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//18.gif[/img] for jumping the gun :bullhorn: and not realizing that it was a joke :lmao: . It just gets on my nerves when someone says that they do not care for a person :flip: , whether that person be a pro athlete :00000052: , celebrity, politician, artist :rockon: , even a college professor :fing03: and if the 'unliked' person happens to be a person of color :afropic: and if the person making the statement happens to be from a different race :gayfight2: or even gender then it turns to racism, sexism, and probably 3 or 4 other isms that I'm leaving off the list right now, since this late for me.

Hopefully you understand what I am trying to convey, even though I may not have been crystal clear when trying to explain it. It sounded a lot better in my mind, before I saw the typed version. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//26.gif[/img]

I've rooted for both the Bengals and Reds [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//36.gif[/img] through many nonproductive years, and to me I wouldn't care what the race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation :458: , religion :bowdown: what ever the player's background has in it, as long as he helps the club on the field, and isn't what Carl Pickens, Corey Dillon and Dan Wilkinson did to :fing06: the Bengals. All the public mouthing off about the hate of the team and how bad the city is. I remember being a kid and Dillon was my favorite player [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//12.gif[/img] , so I would get duct tape and put #28 on the back of my shirt to play sand lot ball. And then with all the comments he made about flipping burgers :0stfu: , hating the city, etc... It just made me lose a great deal of respect for him, and when your a kid and your 'hero' does something like that you find it devastating. :panicbutton: It was then that I realized that some players really don't care about anything else but the pay check, and they don't care about the kids who look up to them. :shakesfist: It didn't turn me against black players.

After the pro baseball strike I quit coming to games. :363: I thought that MLB should have at least allow the scab players play, much like they did during the NFL strike. But they didn't, and I turned my back on baseball for awhile. :contract: My first Reds game I went to after the strike was because one player came the Reds Organization, Neon Deion Prime Time Sanders. :pimp: He was my favorite college players, even though I hated Florida St, I was a fan of Deion Sanders. :pimp:

So when I would comment that I don't like :pissing: Dusty Baker and would rather the Reds wait and see if Joe Torre :jerry: is freed from his K with the yankees :thumbsdown: , then I hoped they would go after Torre. Because the ownership has stated that they would go after big names in the manager search. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//45.gif[/img]

Sorry :wave: I didn't get your comment being a joke, I just hate when the race card is thrown, because I wouldn't care if one of the :ugh2: Blue Men Group :weaksauce: did a good job as a manager for the Reds.

However, I do know what you mean about those Dominicans :machinegunyellow: , but you have to think are they real Dominicans or are they Hatians :shrug: sneaking over to the Dominican Republic side of the island and then pretend to be Dominicans? :blink:

[quote name='sneaky' post='569763' date='Oct 14 2007, 05:58 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Dear Captain Awesome,

Obviously you have not seen a lot of my posts and you are not familiar with my warped
humor. I pretty much call everybody racists all the time, I assume that most people around
here know that I am joking.....obviously you didn't.

That's unfortunate, because you had a really good post there..........

Anyway, as far as Dusty Baker is concerned, I just found it humorous that there was a thread
about not wanting him to be hired because he sucked only to have him hired just a couple
of days later. I called everyone a racist in that thread too.

As I have mentioned, I really don't follow baseball so I really don't know why the Reds suck
but I just know they suck. And I don't think much will change with Dusty or anybody else at
the helm until the owner decides to raise the payroll and buy some quality pitching.

Also, I don't have a problem with Italians...especially Sicilians because they are all 1/16
egg plant. I do however have a problem with those fuckin' Dominicans.................. :ninja:

[/b][/color][/quote]

[quote]4) He KNOWS baseball... although I hated him when he was a Dodger (HOCK...SPIT) in the 70's[/quote].

[i]I remember Dusty play left field for the Dodgers. I was in the LF upper deck for a double-header and we swept them , it was 75/76. [/i] :unsure:

[i]Back-up catcher Hal King was the star ofthe DAY!!![/i]

[i]A grand slam in one and a three-run shot in the other, I believe as a pinch-hitter in both cases.[/i][/i] :blink:

[i]That was a great day to be a Reds fan; the Dodgers and Reds were magor rivals then as both were in the Western Division.[/i]

Archived