Looks like Dunn might be back...

JBandJoeyV

[quote]CINCINNATI -- Many have wondered whether or not the Reds would pick up outfielder Adam Dunn's $13 million club option for 2008.
On Monday, Reds owner/CEO Bob Castellini tipped his hand on which way he was leaning.

"I want him back. We'll see what happens," Castellini said during the press conference that introduced Dusty Baker as Cincinnati's new manager. "There's a strong feeling that we want him back."

Dunn batted .264 with 40 home runs and a career-high 106 RBIs in 152 games this season. He is the only Reds player to ever hit 40 homers over four straight seasons.

If the option isn't picked up, there is a $500,000 buyout. Dunn couldn't be reached for comment.

Castellini's opinion came after Baker was asked if he'd like to have Dunn on his team next season.

"This is something we have to talk about," Baker said. "He's a big part of this team. We haven't really gotten into personnel yet."

The Reds must make a decision on Dunn's option by 10 days after the World Series ends.[/quote]

[quote name='VonBlade' post='571202' date='Oct 16 2007, 10:31 AM']Barry Bonds. Living proof that the DH rule is probably the dumbest rule in the whole of sports.[/quote]
Um, VB, I'm pretty sure Bonds has never been a DH in his career, unless you mean during a world series game somewhere.. He's only ever played in the National League.

And the dumbest rule in sports is the one that allows a draw in test cricket :contract:
Play for 5 days straight with no winner? :thumbsdown:

Ahhh. Sorry. I posted without supplying the inbetween stuff that led to my conclusion. Bonds will, naturally, go to a AL team this season and spend his time on the DH attempting to further his tainted HR record. No NL team will take him.

As for the draws in test matches, as an Englishman I'm used to draws so it doesn't really bother me. In fact if you're getting hammered it can be quite a boon to hold out for a draw.

Really must mail you soon re what the plan is for London. Kinda hard to think football when we're sucking so much :(

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='581849' date='Oct 30 2007, 03:00 PM']:lol: i can think of about 100 OFs who could replace him and we'd be better.[/quote]

start naming them...

Name me 50 FAs out there right now that we could get if DUnn was gone.

If we lost Dunn right now, it would be almost impossible to replace him through FA or we'd have to give up a whole hell of a lot to replace him via a trade

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='581849' date='Oct 30 2007, 02:00 PM']:lol: i can think of about 100 OFs who could replace him and we'd be better.[/quote]

Well that sould work out well for you in MLB '08.

Unfortunately for you, this happens to be real life baseball and your're talking about a guy that would have been mentioned in MVP talk if 15 more hits drop, instead of being caught or going foul, for him in 522 AB's on the year.

If that happened and he was on a good team its a .293 avg with 40 hr's, 100+ RBI's and 100+runs season (he hit .268 on the year with 138 hits).

If you're wondering, Jimmy Rollins, the 2007 NL MVP hit .296, with 30 hr's, 94 RBI's, 139 runs. (also had 41 SB's on the year...and he deserved to be MVP no doubt).

Who is this 100 you're talking about?

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='581876' date='Oct 30 2007, 04:01 PM']start naming them...

Name me 50 FAs out there right now that we could get if DUnn was gone.

If we lost Dunn right now, it would be almost impossible to replace him through FA or we'd have to give up a whole hell of a lot to replace him via a trade[/quote]
first of all you said irreplaceable. i meant there are 100 OFs id rather have on this team tahn him. not 100 available OFs. one day ill make a list of all the OFs id rather have than dunn, when im bored.

i was more impressed with dunn this past season and i said that a few times.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='598253' date='Nov 25 2007, 03:21 AM']first of all you said irreplaceable. i meant there are 100 OFs id rather have on this team tahn him. not 100 available OFs. one day ill make a list of all the OFs id rather have than dunn, when im bored.

i was more impressed with dunn this past season and i said that a few times.[/quote]

2 months later eh?

Say what you want about Dunn, but his offense can not be replaced by 100 better OFs...

and don't come at me with silly names like Bruce or Delmon Young or Pence or anything like that... I'm talking abotu production RIGHT NOW not future promise

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='598289' date='Nov 25 2007, 09:41 AM']2 months later eh?

Say what you want about Dunn, but his offense can not be replaced by 100 better OFs...

and don't come at me with silly names like Bruce or Delmon Young or Pence or anything like that... I'm talking abotu production RIGHT NOW not future promise[/quote]
um, i would have taken Pence year this year over dunns.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='598309' date='Nov 25 2007, 11:00 AM']um, i would have taken Pence year this year over dunns.[/quote]

PENCE:

Games - 108
ABs- 456
Hits- 147
Runs- 57
HRs- 17
RBI- 69
BB- 26
Ks- 95
OBP- 360
SLG- 539
AVG- 322

Fielding - 981

DUNN:

Games - 152
ABs- 522
Hits- 138
Runs- 101
HRs- 40
RBI- 106
BB- 1-1
Ks- 165
OBP- 386
SLG- 554
AVG- 264

Fielding - 976

You be the judge

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='598253' date='Nov 25 2007, 03:21 AM']first of all you said irreplaceable. i meant there are 100 OFs id rather have on this team tahn him. not 100 available OFs. o[b]ne day ill make a list of all the OFs id rather have than dunn, when im bored.[/b]

i was more impressed with dunn this past season and i said that a few times.[/quote]

stilll waiting......

In no particular order

1. Magglio Ordonez
2. Ichiro
3. Matt Holiday
4. Vladimir Guerrero
5. carl crawford
6. aaron rowand
7. carlos lee
8. curtis granderson
9. bj upton
10. soriano
11. nick markakis
12. manny ramirez
13. carlos beltran
14. griffey
15. torri hunter
16. matsui
17. grady sizemore
18. brad hawpe
19. lance berkman
20. jeff francoer

I dont know maybe 10 others...def not 100 though

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='600577' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:53 PM']In no particular order

1. Magglio Ordonez
2. Ichiro
3. Matt Holiday
4. Vladimir Guerrero
5. carl crawford
6. aaron rowand
7. carlos lee
8. curtis granderson
9. bj upton
10. soriano
11. nick markakis
12. manny ramirez
13. carlos beltran
14. griffey
15. torri hunter
16. matsui
17. grady sizemore
18. brad hawpe
19. lance berkman
20. jeff francoer

I dont know maybe 10 others...def not 100 though[/quote]

I have a store call I gotta make but just from lookign at the list, i think you're reaching on Rowand, Upton, maybe Granderson, Markakis, Manny, Griffey, Hunter, Matsui for sure, Hawpe and Francoer...

I'll get home tonight and try to put together my list of guys I'd take over Dunn for ONE season RIGHT NOW.

But yea... Griffey over Dunn? Yikes.

Archived