Trade Chad? Lewis won't say

[quote][size=3][b]Trade Chad? Lewis won't say[/b]
But Bengals star WR doesn't count out the possibility[/size]
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

If the Bengals are thinking about trading Chad Johnson this offseason - as was reported over the weekend by ESPN - coach Marvin Lewis isn't tipping his hand.

On ESPN's pregame show Sunday, NFL reporter Chris Mortensen said that a "prominent member of the Bengals organization recently told me that the organization does have a decision to make on Chad Johnson, that he is so passionate and proud that if they decided to discipline him for some of those antics they believe he might shut it down.

"So how he finishes the rest of the year and the Bengals finish could bring them to a crossroads discussion on whether to even trade Chad Johnson in the offseason."

At his Monday news conference, less than 24 hours after the Bengals defeated the Jets 38-31, Lewis didn't directly answer this question: Is there any truth to reports you might be looking to trade Chad Johnson?

"Did that come from anyone here?" said Lewis, who is the Bengals' "one voice," per team policy, to the media.

Told by a reporter that ESPN cited an official inside the Bengals organization, Lewis said, "Is there a source inside this organization? Not the last time I checked. I don't think there (are) any sources inside this organization."

Did ESPN talk to you?

"No."

Johnson, chased down Monday by a half-dozen reporters in the players' parking lot adjacent to Paul Brown Stadium, didn't snuff out trade talk.

"There is always truth in something," Johnson said when asked about the report.

Johnson actually has been more low-key on the field than in previous seasons. True, he slipped on a homemade hall of fame jacket after a touchdown in the opener Sept. 10 and jumped into Cleveland's Dawg Pound on Sept. 16.

Since then, Johnson has largely been quiet, but there have been some other incidents.

During the Oct. 1 Bengals-Patriots game, Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer were caught on national television arguing after an interception. Two weeks later, Palmer confronted Johnson on the field following another interception, leading to questions about whether Johnson ran the correct route.

After the convincing loss to New England, Lewis said some of his players needed to be less selfish and more mature and team-oriented.

Those comments were connected immediately to Johnson, based on the receiver's on-field behavior during the loss.

Now comes the report of a possible trade.

"It doesn't bother me. There is always truth to things that are said," Johnson said. "Always, there's always some truth to it."

Would you be surprised to be traded?

"No. No. Exactly, that's the business part of it," he said. "That wouldn't surprise me."

Johnson's contract might make a trade financially difficult for the Bengals. Johnson signed a minimum one-year extension in April 2006 that added a year to Johnson's contract, through 2010, and gave the Bengals an option for 2011.

Johnson was paid a $5 million signing bonus and a $5 million base salary for 2006. The Bengals have through 2010 to absorb $1 million per year of his signing bonus on their salary cap. If they traded him after the 2007 season, the Bengals would have to absorb the remaining $3 million on the cap in 2008.

Johnson's salary cap number this year is $7.515 million, the fourth largest on the team - behind Palmer ($13.48 million), defensive end Justin Smith ($8.64 million) and right offensive tackle Willie Anderson ($7.85 million).

Johnson has been stung by the comments that he is a selfish player and negatively affecting his team in the locker room.

Lewis defended his receiver Monday.

"He set out this year to block better. I'm very happy with that," Lewis said of Johnson. "And he's seen the ball get spread out more, and he's had no issue with that. He knows that in order for him to have the success he's having, we need to be able to do other things correctly.

"The biggest thing we continue to try to impress upon our guys ... is that the opportunities we want come from making first downs. If we don't convert on third down, I've told them, none of you are getting any shots at anything."

Johnson was stung, too, he said, after reading an Oct. 21 Enquirer column by Paul Daugherty questioning whether Johnson's antics were worth the trouble.

"And to write what he wrote (Sunday), which I'm sure all of you saw, you've got to be kidding. You've got to be kidding me. You've got to be kidding me. It is what it is," Johnson said of Daugherty, who wrote a book about Johnson last year.

"Everything I've done has always been positive, it's always been fun. It's never been a me, me, me thing. It's how Chad plays the game. ... I've been playing it the same way the past four years. I celebrate. I have fun with it. It is a dirty business. And to get the business side of it off my mind, I go out and have fun with it like I'm a little kid."

Johnson is having a solid season. He said he and fellow wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh were praised for their downfield blocking in the Jets game, when the Bengals ran for a season-high 177 yards. Johnson had six receptions against the Jets, and gained 102 yards, including a team long 56-yard catch. Johnson has 680 yards and three touchdown catches. Still, as a speed receiver, Johnson will turn 30 in January - an age when receivers often start to lose a step.

Johnson doesn't appear worried, if he should be traded, that he wouldn't be welcomed elsewhere.

"You know what's funny, every player - you've got 31 teams in the NFL beside us - every player, every coach loves 85," he said in reference to his jersey number. "I guarantee that. Every coach and every player would love to have 85 on their team because they know what I bring to the table."[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071023/SPT02/710230301/1066/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote][size=3][b]As Chad Turns [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
October 22, 2007
Updated: 8 p.m.

For the second straight day, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis refuted an ESPN report that the club would consider trading wide receiver Chad Johnson at the end of the season.

Although Johnson said he wouldn't be surprised if he was traded, Lewis first denied the report after Sunday's postgame news conference and then at Monday's news conference. He cited himself as the team's only voice and that the report didn't come from him.

"I don't think there are any sources inside this organization," Lewis said.

As he left Monday's team meeting, Johnson seemed to think there was truth to the report by saying, "There's always truth in anything that's said. There's always some truth to it. They probably wouldn't discuss (a trade) in the middle of the season."

Here are three reasons why it's believed the Bengals have no interest in trading him and have had no organization-wide discussion about the topic: They consider Johnson one of the best players in the NFL, Chris Henry's off-field situation is too precarious to make him one of the two starters, and the salary cap hit would be too massive for a deal that runs through 2011.

On Monday Lewis called Johnson "a team player," and praised his blocking as well as his adjustment to coverages that dictate the ball be spread to other receivers.

"He knows that in order for him to have the success he's having, we need to be able to do other things correctly," Lewis said. "The biggest thing we continue to try to impress upon our guys, whether it is Rudi, whether it is T.J., whether it is Chad, whether it is Carson, is that the opportunities we want come from making first downs.

"If we don't convert on third down, I've told them, none of you are getting any shots at anything. It's a football team. So we're not going to win, we're not going to have opportunities for plays, touchdowns, catches, runs and so forth, unless we do better on third down. And yesterday was a first step in that direction."

Johnson called his approach in which he gained 102 yards despite having just three catches "unselfish," and said he and Houshmandzadeh were patient against a Jets defense that double-teamed both and held them to their lowest total of the season with seven combined catches.

Johnson's relationship with Lewis has been called into question and how it may have fostered a divisive locker room. For years there has been grumbling from pundits (never players on the record) that Lewis lets Johnson get away with "Chad Rules."

"There are 31 teams besides us. Every player and every coach loves '85,' I guarantee that," Johnson said. "Everyone. Every coach and every player would love to have '85' on their team. They know what I bring to the table."

Asked if Lewis likes him, he said, "Yeah. But they have to do what they have to do. Chad has to do what Chad has to do."

But asked if he's happy here, Johnson said, "Of course; I'm smiling. As long as I'm smiling I'm happy."

So the odd little saga continues without Johnson demanding a trade or the Bengals seeking one. But it now has Johnson in the third person.

"I can not perform at a high level and not be Chad," he said. "It's impossible. I will not change."

But he quickly went to the first person when his biographer, Paul Daugherty, a Cincinnati Enquirer sports columnist, pushed the theory in Sunday's column that Johnson's selfish ways have hurt the team.

"To think someone who actually had a year to deal with me and write my book, going home and spending time with my grandma," Johnson said, "understanding my background, understanding where I came from, understanding knowing the ins and outs and knowing all the struggles I've been through to get to this point and write what he wrote yesterday, you've got to be kidding me. You've got to be kidding me. You've got to be kidding me."

Which is where a lot of people may be right about now with this odd little saga of "As Chad Turns."[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6379"][url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6379"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6379[/url][/url]

[quote name='The Entertainer' post='576534' date='Oct 23 2007, 06:58 AM']On ESPN's pregame show Sunday, NFL reporter Chris Mortensen said that a "prominent member of the Bengals organization recently told me that the organization does have a decision to make on Chad Johnson, that he is so passionate and proud that if they decided to discipline him for some of those antics [b]they believe[/b] he might shut it down.

"So how he finishes the rest of the year and the Bengals finish [b]could[/b] bring them to a crossroads discussion on whether to even trade Chad Johnson in the offseason."
[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071023/SPT02/710230301/1066/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url][/quote]

This cracks me up cause this is all based off of Morts Speculation on his "unnamed sources" speculation. :rolleyes:

For the Chad haters: Get over it he isnt going anywhere.

[quote][b]Told by a reporter [/b]that ESPN cited an official inside the Bengals organization, Lewis said, "Is there a source inside this organization? Not the last time I checked. I don't think there (are) any sources inside this organization."[/quote]

Why is curnutte too chicken shit to admit that HE was the one to ask the question?

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' post='576540' date='Oct 23 2007, 07:10 AM']sounds like the guy cant handle the criticism of his antics.[/quote]
I'd be pissed too if people who had been patting my back and tagging along while the team was doing decent decided to turn on me when the team was 1-4...

If the Bengals get back to .500 and Chad starts dancing again, I bet these guys will be bobbin' on knob again.

This is such a great idea, I'm surprised we haven't pulled the trigger. We can trade one of the Top recievers in the NFL to put ourselves in Salary cap hell. On top of that, his replacement is always a mystery as to whether he will be on the field for legal troubles. Top that with our difficult finding a 3rd wide receiver in the first place, it's a great idea. Hello Triple teams TJ.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' post='576540' date='Oct 23 2007, 07:10 AM']sounds like the guy cant handle the criticism of his antics.[/quote]

you must not have seen the interview at all.

and what a sihtty writer mark is, come on, espn has a live interview and its been covered, OHHHHH 10 times laready, why even waste your time with your 1/4 page triple spaced BS useless article. who the fuck does he think wants a 16th perspective on NOTHING.

henry can return to practice soon, perry can play anytime, watson had a huge day, dorsey saw some action, the bengals won for the first time in 6 weeks, we need about 4-5 serious injury updates, and its fucking steelers week, and this cock n balls is writing about the same stale totally BS chad article that 19 people nationwide beat him to.

what the fuck.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='576607' date='Oct 23 2007, 10:07 AM']henry can return to practice soon, perry can play anytime, watson had a huge day, dorsey saw some action, the bengals won for the first time in 6 weeks, we need about 4-5 serious injury updates, and its fucking steelers week, and this cock n balls is writing about the same stale totally BS chad article that 19 people nationwide beat him to.[/quote]

egg-zactly. There are so many worthwhile articles to write about this team and its players, but we get the same garbage from every media outlet instead.

i wish my job consisted of 18 minutes of actual work each day.

Mark C day at the office:

*watches chad interview, jots down quotes*

*adds 3 sentences total to mixture of quotes*

*drops off article on editors desk by 9:45am on way to happy hour*

*wait till applebees opens at 11*

*sits alone drinks for 6 hours*

*goes home and reads own blog, sends self fan mail*

*wakes up next morning forgetting the night before, enjoys fan mail about great article day before*

[quote name='GoBengals' post='576613' date='Oct 23 2007, 09:15 AM']i wish my job consisted of 18 minutes of actual work each day.

*goes home and reads own blog, sends self fan mail*

*wakes up next morning forgetting the night before, enjoys fan mail about great article day before*[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='576613' date='Oct 23 2007, 10:15 AM']i wish my job consisted of 18 minutes of actual work each day.

[b]*goes home and reads own blog, sends self fan mail*

*wakes up next morning forgetting the night before, enjoys fan mail about great article day before*[/b][/quote]
That's funny!

[i]"He set out this year to block better. I'm very happy with that," Lewis said of Johnson. "And he's seen the ball get spread out more, and he's had no issue with that. He knows that in order for him to have the success he's having, we need to be able to do other things correctly.[/i]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/26.gif[/img]

chad is doing better imo than he has in the past... we are just not winning like the past... i wish the media would shut the fuck up about this shit... if the organization thinks that Chad is the problem w/this team, then we are fucking dumb as hell...

[quote name='schotzee' post='576641' date='Oct 23 2007, 09:57 AM'][b]But asked if he's happy here, Johnson said, "Of course; I'm smiling. As long as I'm smiling I'm happy." [/b]

I didn't see this interview by Chad.What kind of tone was this?Was it sincerity or hidden sarcasm?[/quote]

It was an impromptu interview. The media followed Chad out to his car.
And he was trying to avoid them. He stopped before getting into his
car and as Chick Ludwig says in an artilce I posted in this thread [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=37895"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=37895[/url]
"poured out his emotion as rain pelted his sleek, black sedan."

I don`t think it was sarcasm though. I think Chad is happy in general.
He just can`t believe how the media turned on him so fast. Ecspecially Daugherty.

I wouldn't bet money on it, but I think it's very possible this is all something dreamed up by Chad and his agent. Nothing from the organization's side of this would even hint that trading Chad would be smart. Every fiber of the Bengals' being is about keeping Chad (love of a passing game, a star to build national exposure for the team, no clear replacement, financial nightmare in trading him, etc...). I think it far more likely this seed has been planted by Chad, and/or his agent to see if they can shake him loose for a bigger deal (or, at least to get him to a major market where he can make more money in endorsements). As near as I can tell, the only person actually entertaining the possibility of a trade, and keeping the rumor alive, is Chad. Seems to me he gets to keep this rumor smoldering to see what can come of it, yet say all the right things about being happy in case nothing comes of it.

How does such a tool get a job that I`d do for half the salary ?

[quote][size=3][b]This is getting silly[/b][/size]

Look how dysfunctional this organization is. How did we reach this point?
It's year seven for Chad Johnson as a Bengal and Chad's behavior is still an issue? Is there any structure in this organization? Is there any discipline?

How about this crazy idea....the organization, from top to bottom, starts demanding Chad act like a pro?

The sad thing is Mike Brown doesn't care to put his foot down because he has sellouts. Marvin continues to be like a parent with no idea how to handle his out of control four year old. Carson and Willie fail as leaders that can't police the lockerroom. And Chad obviously doesn't want to change. He acts the way he acts because he can. And don't think Chad's apologist don't play a role in this. Chad has conned fans into believing this is a "media creation" and he's an innocent victim...despite all the evidence.....why would he change? But whether you believe it or not, enough teammates believe he's an isuse to make it an issue.

It's time everyone, from Mike to Marvin to players, to deliver an ultimatum to Chad. Take off the clown suite. Put down the pacifier. Act like a pro. If Chad doesn't change....then trade him. This is easy. At least it would be easy for the Patriots or Colts or Steelers. Getting better on defense is tough. Getting Mike Brown to hire more scouts is tough. Demanding a player act like a pro should be easy.

If Chad leaves, the Bengals will survive. I don't need a circus and I don't need Chad to be my clown. I'm entertained by wins....not by a sideshow.

Chad is a marketer and a football player. Does anyone else on this team play to market themselves? I'm so sick and tired of people defending Chad by saying "he cares/he plays with passion". Stop insulting the other 52 players on the team. You think Chad is the only one that works hard? It's not only about working hard. It's about playing for the team and playing with focus.

Stop putting his "numbers" in a vacuum? It's not just catches. It's wrong routes, it's pouting, it's tantrums, it's spending time talking to the opposing coach.

You can trade Chad.....or everyone can simply do their job in this organization. What is it going to be?[/quote]

[url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='576651' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:21 AM'][url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]<a href="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html" target="_blank">http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url]</a>[/quote]
I just e-mailed Lance:

"Lance - How can you say that Chad’s behavior is “still an issue”? When was it ever an issue before?!? It wasn’t ever called out like this when the Bengals went 11-5 or even 8-8, but now that they’ve started slow, you guys are all over it! Even Paul Daugherty, who made a few dollars with a book that told us about how great Chad Johnson really is, has turned and decided to stab Chad in the back. So – was he lying then or now? Is he going to give back all the money he made by writing a false biography?

It seems like Chad’s only mistake was trusting the media and being so open and honest with everyone. He should’ve known that, as Paul put it in his article, the media would be the scorpion and sting him because “that’s what you do”.

You say it would be easy for the Pats or Colts to trade away a star player like this? Why didn’t the Pats come down on Tom Brady for taking those “sexual preference-questionable” pictures in GQ or why haven’t the Colts told Manning to cut back on his huge commercial schedule? Those would probably be a distraction to the team – if they started out at 1-4 - but since they do well, those players get a pass… Just like Chad used to get.

As for players “marketing themselves” – they all do it. I saw Ndukwe sack Pennington on Sunday, and even from my seats in the north endzone could see him stand over the QB and point at his own name on his Bengal jersey. Other players undo the chinstraps when they run off the field so they can get their helmets off quicker and let the world see their face. And what the hell is that dance that Ray Lewis does as he is INDIVIDUALLY announced before Raven home games?!? That’s marketing – don’t pretend like Chad is the only one who does it.

You want to talk about “wrong routes”? Why not grill Carson for his INTs when Chad runs the correct route? Why does Carson get to play in the “vacuum”, but Chad is forced to take on this criticism? Why is it alright for Willie Anderson to complain about the team in the media, but Chad can’t say anything on the sidelines? Why is it ok for Levi to openly cry about playing time and insinuate wanting to be traded, but Chad can’t say he wants the ball more in passing situations?

Trading Chad is a stupid – yes STUPID – thing to promote. It’s not even an “idea” because those take time to develop and usually have some decent base to build on.

I’ll be patiently awaiting your blogs that are aimed at how great Chad’s work ethic and team spirit are when the Bengals are back to .500 and everyone is smiling and having fun again. "

[quote name='bengalrick' post='576681' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:53 AM']hell of a letter mr. orange... you wasted your time though[/quote]
Yeah - he wrote back:

"I'm confused. Are forgetting haltime of the playoff game when they were 11-5?" to which I replied:

"Got a name for that "source"? Outside of a mysterious "inside source" that has never come to light, where is any proof?
I'll take the 4 straight years of leading the AFC in receiving yards and Carson Palmer/Marvin Lewis saying "there is no problem" over some non-existent "source"."

I should've said: "You're confused? No kidding - what else is new?"

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='576691' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:58 AM']Yeah - he wrote back:

"I'm confused. Are forgetting haltime of the playoff game when they were 11-5?" to which I replied:

"Got a name for that "source"? Outside of a mysterious "inside source" that has never come to light, where is any proof?
I'll take the 4 straight years of leading the AFC in receiving yards and Carson Palmer/Marvin Lewis saying "there is no problem" over some non-existent "source"."

I should've said: "You're confused? No kidding - what else is new?"[/quote]

chad not only threw a tantrum in the playoff game lockerroom but also at halftime of the patriots game this year....

arguing over sources is silly, i have had multiple confirmations on both instances, of course everyone is going to deny it publicly, and do you expect marv or carson to say in public there is a problem? honestly?

chad is a problem, but his benefit outweighs his distraction, 199 out of 200 times, some players love him some hate him, but no one can disrespect his talent and value. without chad tj is nothing and henry isnt as effective. but without carson chad isnt as good either, they all know they need eachother to be this successful.

Archived