Bring on the bandwagon

[quote][size=3][b]Doc: Bring on the bandwagon[/b]
Steelers fans will fill Paul Brown Stadium so long as Bengals fans have no reason to support the local team[/size]
BY PAUL DAUGHERTY | PDAUGHERTY@ENQUIRER.COM

The black-and-gold heathens from the northeast are hosing down their American-made sedans for the trek south and west. Any Bengals fans caught selling their tickets to knuckle-dragging Steelers nuts will be shot on sight. Or worse, the entire Bengals offensive line will come to their house and sit on them.

If your tickets wind up in enemy hands, you are a loser, a traitor and an ax murderer. You are a Bandwagon Fan. That's the spin around here, anyway.

To which the only sane response is: Yeah? So?

It's OK to be a bandwagon fan. It makes perfect sense, in fact. It's not even a chicken-and-egg thing. What other industry says to you, "We'll keep making this bad product, and you keep buying it, OK?" If you owned one Chevy Chevette, chances are you never owned another.

Loyalty and foolishness walk a thin ledge in college and pro sports. Mike Brown relied on fan loyalty for 12 of the worst years authored by any sports franchise in history. Relied on it, took advantage of it, stomped the sucker flat. It was only when the smart folks jumped off the BrownWagon that change came.

Should Paul Brown Stadium be crammed with orange and black Sunday? Of course. Fan support can make a difference. It helped with a fumbled New York Jets snap last week.

This isn't to suggest your support isn't required. It's to say that it's not up to you to make the home team feel loved.

It's up to the home team to make you want to love them.

In Cincinnati, the most forgiving sports town in America, we assume it's our obligation to support our teams. We have it backward. The responsibility rests with those who offer the product, not with those asked to buy it.

Former Reds owner Carl Lindner once suggested he might buy the team some pitching if more fans came to the games. That's like saying I'll stock fresh milk after you buy the spoiled stuff.

Why do fans feel obligated to support lousy teams? Sports is recreation, entertainment, fun. Why do fans think that has to involve suffering? You have to understand pain to appreciate pleasure. I get that. But that applies to life. Sports isn't life. Sports is ... sports.

What do you want for your loyalty, a purple heart? The "loyal" Bengals fans of the '90s helped prolong their own suffering. They enabled Mike Brown.

It's called "discretionary income" for a reason. You decide what to spend it on. Why would you spend it on misery? If you were among the bedraggled 50,000 or so who spent eight Sundays a fall at Riverfront in the '90s, you know what I'm talking about.

And yet this week, if you choose to offer your tickets to a Steelers fan, you are lower than Cleveland brown. We don't see life this way in any other arena except politics, and even there, those who vote a straight party ticket have become the exception. You don't buy a car now because of where it's made, mainly because Fords are made in Mexico and Toyotas in Kentucky. You might love Tom Cruise. But if he makes a dumb movie like "Cocktail," you don't go see it out of loyalty to Tom Cruise.

Sports is a product. You're a consumer. Why wouldn't you choose as wisely with sports as you do with lawnmowers or dish soap?

Manny Ramirez caught abuse last week, when he said it was "no big deal" if his team, the Boston Red Sox, didn't rally to beat the Cleveland Indians in the American League Championship Series. There's always next year, was Manny's logic. It was seen as an affront to Red Sox fans, who invest dollars and tears in their team. Fans are often more passionate about their teams than the players who play on them.

Occasionally, sports owners treat fans the same way. We'll run out this bad/mediocre/once-a-generation-good product. We expect you to buy it. We assume your loyalty. We take you for granted.

It's a big game for the 2-4 Bengals Sunday. It'd be bad form to sell your tickets to a pissburgh fan. But no one should blame you if you do. Without common sense, love is blind.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071025/COL03/710250338/1062/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

1) Sell your tickets to a Bengals fan
2) If you have season tickets, chances are you slightly more than a badwagoner
3) Make a statement only if the statement needs to be made
4) SELL YOUR TICKETS TO A BENGALS FAN

This was a tired rant from Doc on the radio last night. I'm disappointed he turned it into today's article.

If you offer your tickets to a Steelers fan, you are scum because there are plenty of non-Steelers fans wanting the tickets just as bad. It has dick to do with discretionary income.

[quote name='mongo' post='577919' date='Oct 25 2007, 07:57 AM']1) Sell your tickets to a Bengals fan
2) If you have season tickets, chances are you slightly more than a badwagoner
3) Make a statement only if the statement needs to be made
4) SELL YOUR TICKETS TO A BENGALS FAN

This was a tired rant from Doc on the radio last night. I'm disappointed he turned it into today's article.

If you offer your tickets to a Steelers fan, you are scum because there are plenty of non-Steelers fans wanting the tickets just as bad. It has dick to do with discretionary income.[/quote]

I did not make the Stealers game last year, but had been to the two previous games at home and this whole Stealer fans dominate the stadium is ridiculous. I think there may have been two to three thousand. Nothing even near 50%. Yes in the 90's and early 2000's it was bad, but now.

And IMO, most of the tickets the Stealer fans get are from brokers, not fans. I'm not saying some season ticket holders do not sell their tickets to the highest bidder, but I would bet that a significant majority of those tickets sold is from ticket brokers who buy season tickets.

Daugherty writes about a bad product, as if it`s the last
game of the season, and the Bengals have no chance to win anything.

This just in dumbass. The Bengals are 2 games back of the Stealers,
and counting this Sunday, have 2 games to play against them still.
They could be 1 game back and go up on the Stealers as far as division records go.
And the Bengals have an easy schedule down the stretch. I didn`t even mention Henry,
Perry, Ahmad and a host of others should be joining the rest of the bad product soon.

Even if none of the above was true, you`re still scum if you sell to a Stealers fan.
That`s common sense. Even if love is blind.

Just read these parts:

[quote]Doc: Bring on the bandwagon
Steelers fans will fill Paul Brown Stadium so long as Bengals fans have no reason to support the local team
BY PAUL DAUGHERTY | PDAUGHERTY@ENQUIRER.COM

The black-and-gold heathens from the northeast are hosing down their American-made sedans for the trek south and west. Any Bengals fans caught selling their tickets to knuckle-dragging Steelers nuts will be shot on sight. Or worse, the entire Bengals offensive line will come to their house and sit on them.

If your tickets wind up in enemy hands, you are a loser, a traitor and an ax murderer. You are a Bandwagon Fan. That's the spin around here, anyway.

Should Paul Brown Stadium be crammed with orange and black Sunday? Of course. Fan support can make a difference. It helped with a fumbled New York Jets snap last week.

And...this week, if you choose to offer your tickets to a Steelers fan, you are lower than Cleveland brown.[/quote]

[quote name='The Entertainer' post='577909' date='Oct 25 2007, 06:34 AM'][url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071025/COL03/710250338/1062/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url][/quote]

Its official, ...Paul is a scum-sucking closet Stooler!

It all makes sense now.

Paul had John Thornton on the show last night, and I grew some respect for him. Though its not what he's natural at, he said he's becoming more vocal now that he has the captain C.

He said after the second touchdown to Coles, as he was coming onto the field for the XPT he walked Deltha and said "That was your fault." He said he was trying to piss him off. He got into Deltha's ear again at halftime.

Deltha went out and had a great second half.

The Enquirer has a poll up about this article.
Glad to see the majority disagrees with Daugherty . . .

[quote][b]Is selling your game tickets to a Steelers fan, or anyone else for that matter, a cardinal sin for Bengals fans? Or is it common sense, as Paul Daugherty writes? [/b]

Loyalty rules. You’re not a real Bengals fan if you sell your ticket, and you're a loathesome one for selling it to a Steelers fan. 646 (60.37%)

The market rules. If you can get a great return on your investment, it's OK to sell and not be considered disloyal. 164 (15.33%)

The team's fortunes rule. If the team is having a bad season and its play on the field is bad, it's OK to sell and not be considered disloyal. 135 (12.62%)

Anarchy rules. It's OK to sell for any reason at any time, because loyalty is a myth. 123 (11.50%)

Total Replies : 1070[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071024/SPT02/310240061/1066/rss07"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0061/1066/rss07[/url]

I'm kind of on th fence about this one.

One one hand, I agree with what he says about a team having to earn loyalty, not the other way around.

But I think his whole argument is not applicable here because there is just as much demand for tickets coming from the Cincinnati side. Probably more.

Anyone who sells their tickets to a Steeler fan nowadays either isn't trying hard enough to find a Bengals fan or is deliberately sabotaging the Bengals in the only small way a fan can: by filling that seat with the enemy.

[quote name='schotzee' post='578079' date='Oct 25 2007, 12:07 PM']Maybe thats the secret.Sell off the tickets to Steeler fans.Let em fill up the seats.After all we have been much more successful at Heinz field lately anyway. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img] B) :meatwad:[/quote]

yes... i am 3 of 4, only losing when i threw off the good karma by bringing a THIRD person with me and having good seats... 2 people and shitty seats are the way to win in heinz field...

hmmmm

and i think we need to wear all white.

i dislike the black jerseys... dunno why...

[quote name='dimster' post='578125' date='Oct 25 2007, 01:18 PM']i have a question, i have a best friend who is a steelers fan, and i sell him a ticket to go with me, does that made me a traitor??[/quote]

You need a new best friend. ;)

My brother is a Brown's fan and I've taken him to a couple of Bengals/Browns games, so no, I don't think that makes you a traitor.

We lost both games though, so I'll never do it again. <_<

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='577969' date='Oct 25 2007, 09:52 AM']Paul had John Thornton on the show last night, and I grew some respect for him. Though its not what he's natural at, he said he's becoming more vocal now that he has the captain C.

He said after the second touchdown to Coles, as he was coming onto the field for the XPT he walked Deltha and said "That was your fault." He said he was trying to piss him off. He got into Deltha's ear again at halftime.

Deltha went out and had a great second half.[/quote]

It took big John this long to figure that as captain he might want to speak up?

Wait, better not start the Thornton/Captain thread again.

It's a sure sign of idiocy to attack an argument without ever revealing who made the argument - or where they made it. Nothing suprising from Daughtery, though.

Now I don't want to ever be accused of saying anything in support of Mike Brown, but it's a bit simplistic to say that a losing team = a "bad product". It is still the NFL, which is IMO the best sports league in the world.

Archived