Assassins Creed

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='591645' date='Nov 11 2007, 11:27 PM']mass effect is going to blow. AC will be the best game released next gen until AC2 comes out.[/quote]

I'm all for Assassin's Creed being a good game. But don't even say that Mass Effect is going to blow. It will probably be the greatest RPG of this gen (although there aren't many good RPGs out this gen). Its Bioware, man. Star Wars: KOTOR, Jade Empire, they simply know how to make an amazing RPG. And with the technological resources they have with the 360, Mass Effect is going to be insane.

[quote name='B.A.B.' post='591679' date='Nov 12 2007, 12:27 AM']I'm all for Assassin's Creed being a good game. But don't even say that Mass Effect is going to blow. It will probably be the greatest RPG of this gen (although there aren't many good RPGs out this gen). Its Bioware, man. Star Wars: KOTOR, Jade Empire, they simply know how to make an amazing RPG. And with the technological resources they have with the 360, Mass Effect is going to be insane.[/quote]

[i][color="#FF0000"][b]I have to agree with Thurman, considering he is the resident expert of the genre.............................

of blowing. :lol: [/b][/color][/i]

:ninja:

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='592151' date='Nov 12 2007, 07:13 PM']Someone please describe to me the hype of this game...

It seems it's just a splinters cell game to me?

Also... Cod 4 multiplayer has me addicted ... im pissed because I'm away on business right now and won't be able to play for 4 days[/quote]
splinter cell? eh. that game is set out for where you run and what you do. in this game you can go anywhere and use anything to do something different to get the job done and get away. the cities are as real as they can possibly get. they used old maps and articles about the cities to design them to exactly how they were back in 1191. this game has had so much time and resources put into it and had such a great idea that it will be amazing. i hope they go ahead and make the movies to go along with the games and write the novels. i will actually read the novels.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='592204' date='Nov 12 2007, 09:03 PM']splinter cell? eh. that game is set out for where you run and what you do. in this game you can go anywhere and use anything to do something different to get the job done and get away. the cities are as real as they can possibly get. they used old maps and articles about the cities to design them to exactly how they were back in 1191. this game has had so much time and resources put into it and had such a great idea that it will be amazing. i hope they go ahead and make the movies to go along with the games and write the novels. i will actually read the novels.[/quote]

I'm too lazy to read up on this game...

what is this history and everything you speak of? Has this game been hyped for awhile and I've just never heard about it?

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='592206' date='Nov 12 2007, 09:07 PM']I'm too lazy to read up on this game...

what is this history and everything you speak of? Has this game been hyped for awhile and I've just never heard about it?[/quote]
ive been drooling over this for 4 years.

Some stuff about the game:

[b]The game takes place during the Third Crusade, in the year 1191. The player assumes the role of Altaïr (الطائر, Arabic, "The Flying One"), a member of the Hashshashin sect (the original "assassins"), whose objective is to slay the nine historical figures who are propagating the Crusades. As the player finds and kills these targets, their conspiracy is unveiled. The player will be able to travel through three cities: Jerusalem, Acre and Damascus.[/b]

[b]The environment is completely interactive, from the people to the historically accurate cities.[/b]
[b]
These cities are populated by many people, and the way the player controls Altaïr affects how the bystanders around him react to his presence. For example, when going through a crowd, if the player lightly moves someone out of the way, it will not have a significant effect. However, if the player throws someone to the ground and hurts or kills them, the crowd may unite against him, who will also attract guards and he will then have to find a way out or hide. Similarly, if the player shoves a person aside, they may shove him back. If he climbs walls, civilians will gather around, attracting unwanted attention from guards.[/b]
[b]
All of Altaïr's targets are also historic leaders who died or disappeared in the year 1191 (though not necessarily assassinated).[/b]
[b]
The player will be able to grab onto and climb almost any aspect of the environment, which means exploration will be possible to a greater degree than in most other games. Ubisoft boasts that any object that stands out more than two inches will be interactive.[/b]

[b]For example, running toward a wall and pressing the "legs" button will cause Altaïr to jump over a wall, while pressing the "arms without weapons" button will cause him to vault it.[/b]
[b]
A major selling point is "social stealth": the ability to blend in with a crowd (as opposed to simply hiding in shadows) by performing actions that would be socially inconspicuous; for instance disguising the character among a crowd of monks, as was shown in the trailer.

It also appears that the player will be able to battle many historical figures, including the Order of the Knights Templar.[/b]

[b]On December 13, 2006, in an interview with IGN, Kristen Bell (who will have her voice and likeness lent to the game) talked about the plot. According to the interview, the plot centres on genetic memory and a corporation looking for descendants of an assassin.[6]

It's actually really interesting to me. It's sort of based on the research that's sort of happening now, about the fact that your genes might be able to hold memory. And you could argue semantics and say it's instinct, but how does a baby bird know to eat a worm, as opposed to a cockroach, if its parents don't show it? And it's about this science company trying to, Matrix-style, go into people's brains and find out an ancestor who used to be an assassin, and sort of locate who that person is.
[/b]

The Story:
[quote][b]Assassin's Creed is set in AD 1191, when the Third Crusade was tearing the Holy Land apart. Shrouded in secrecy and feared for their ruthlessness, the Assassins intend to stop the hostilities by suppressing both sides of the conflict. Players, assuming the role of the main character, will have the power to throw their immediate environment into chaos and to shape events during this pivotal moment in history.

The story follows Altaïr, a disgraced master assassin who embarks on a quest to restore his status within the Assassin Order. After failing to assassinate the Grand Master of Templar Knights, Robert de Sable, and recover the order's treasure, Altaïr is demoted to Uninitiated (the lowest rank in the Assassin Order).

But Sinan, leader of the Assassins, offers him an opportunity to redeem himself. Altaïr must venture out into the Holy Land and assassinate men said to be exacerbating and exploiting the hostilities created by the Third Crusade. In doing so, he will stabilize the region, allowing Sinan to usher in an age of peace.

When the game begins, Christian King, Richard the Lionheart, has just recaptured the port city of Acre from occupying Muslims. With a base of operations established, the Crusaders prepare to march south. Their true target is Jerusalem – which they intend to recapture for Christianity. However, Saladin, leader of the Islamic army, currently rules the city. Stinging from his army’s defeat at Acre, he will not allow Richard to humiliate him again. The Muslim forces are massing in the ruins of Arsuf, intending to ambush the Crusaders and prevent them from reaching Jerusalem.

These war maneuvers have left the rest of the Holy Land wide open. While Richard and Saladin battle one another, the men left to govern in their stead have begun taking advantage of their newfound positions of power. Exploitation, manipulation, and provocation rule the day. It is in this chaotic mess that Altaïr now finds himself. He is ordered to eliminate those most active in their exploitation. This is how the Assassin begins his mission.

Along the way, however, he will begin to discover that his targets are bound by more than just a shared interest in personal gain. They share membership in a secret society familiar to the Hashshashin. And they are not simply looking for profit. Their true goal and how they plan to achieve it leads to a modern-day conspiracy with secrets to be discovered during the course of the story.[/b][/quote]

Publication Score
Famitsu 37/40
Game Informer 9.5/10
GamePro 5/5
GamesRadar 10/10

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='591701' date='Nov 12 2007, 01:24 AM']ditto. 3 or 4 years ago is when i got excited for this game.[/quote]

funny...

May 2, 2006 - Today, Ubisoft Montreal, home of Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia, announced its designs on a whole new franchise called Assassin's Creed for Sony's yet-to-be-released PlayStation 3. This announcement confirms the story we ran last week where early U.S. trademark patents revealed the game's inevitable appearance.

do you typically mean "barely a year" when you say 3-4 years?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='592278' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:09 AM']funny...

May 2, 2006 - Today, Ubisoft Montreal, home of Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia, announced its designs on a whole new franchise called Assassin's Creed for Sony's yet-to-be-released PlayStation 3. This announcement confirms the story we ran last week where early U.S. trademark patents revealed the game's inevitable appearance.

do you typically mean "barely a year" when you say 3-4 years?[/quote]

[url="http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=930278&topic=38956020"]http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessag...;topic=38956020[/url]

the people on the boards also specifically mention:

- The game has been in development for over 4 years

- This game was first introduced for the Xbox 360 as "Project Assassins"; it was then announced as a PS3 exclusive under the name "Assassin's Creed"; then it was announced as a multi-system title

In March of 2006 prior to when you claim they announced development:

[quote]Previews: Assassin's Creed
First details on the Prince of Persia team's PS3 game!
By Matt Leone [b]03/24/2006 [/b]
At the Game Developers Conference in San Jose today, Ubisoft's Jade Raymond and Patrice Desilets delivered a speech called "Defining the Assassin." The speech was set up to show the development team's approach to game design, and in the process revealed a lot about Ubisoft's mysterious next-gen game Project Assassins, which has [b]previously only been shown in a brief trailer at last year's Tokyo Game Show[/b].
[url="http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3148998&did=1"]http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3148998&did=1[/url][/quote]

[quote]Ubisoft today announced that Ubisoft Montreal is working on an upcoming stealth/action game, Assassin's Creed, which today only is announced for a PS3 release in 2007. But don't forget that the game also was announced (as Project Assassin) for 360 during X05. They released an artwork and a trailer of it, available here.
[url="http://www.gamersyde.com/news_2857_en.html"]http://www.gamersyde.com/news_2857_en.html[/url][/quote]

:D

Altair :ninja:

Yo, I've been reading some disappointing reviews man. First one I read was from 1up.com. They gave it a 7.something. I generally don't trust 1up, though, because lately they've been on a financial slide, and I think they're just trying to get as many hits as possible. The review seemed sketchy too. But then I saw the IGN review, and they gave it a 7.7. Now, I put alot of trust into IGN's reviews,and they always do a good job. But my favorite place, Gamespot.com, reviewed it 9.0. Which is a great score, and usually when a game is 9 or up, I decide to go and buy it.

[quote name='B.A.B.' post='592718' date='Nov 13 2007, 06:31 PM']Yo, I've been reading some disappointing reviews man. First one I read was from 1up.com. They gave it a 7.something. I generally don't trust 1up, though, because lately they've been on a financial slide, and I think they're just trying to get as many hits as possible. The review seemed sketchy too. But then I saw the IGN review, and they gave it a 7.7. Now, I put alot of trust into IGN's reviews,and they always do a good job. But my favorite place, Gamespot.com, reviewed it 9.0. Which is a great score, and usually when a game is 9 or up, I decide to go and buy it.[/quote]

i trust 2 places:
Publication Score
Famitsu 37/40
[b]Game Informer 9.5/10
GamePro 5/5[/b]
GamesRadar 10/10

ive been a gamepro subscriber since 5th grade and usually agree with their ratings. the thing i find funny is that it is a "bad review" but giving a 7 and 7.7 out of 10 is not bad. 2 other things that are stupid is one company says the controls are crappy and another review says they are great. then one says the story sucks and the other say its great. and on top of that considering the game has a potential novel series and movie series coming out i highly doubt the story sucks.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='592730' date='Nov 13 2007, 06:47 PM']i trust 2 places:
Publication Score
Famitsu 37/40
[b]Game Informer 9.5/10
GamePro 5/5[/b]
GamesRadar 10/10

ive been a gamepro subscriber since 5th grade and usually agree with their ratings. the thing i find funny is that it is a "bad review" but giving a 7 and 7.7 out of 10 is not bad. 2 other things that are stupid is one company says the controls are crappy and another review says they are great. then one says the story sucks and the other say its great. and on top of that considering the game has a potential novel series and movie series coming out i highly doubt the story sucks.[/quote]

You need to subscribe to another magazine then, fam. GamePro is ass. I read the review, and it was okay, but their articles and previews are nothing like other publications. EGM has shitty reviews, but their Editorials and Previews are easily the best out there nowadays. GamePro is mediocre.

I just hear that the enemy AI is dumb as fuck. And after watching the Video Review at gametrailers.com, I would have to agree with him. The dude killed a guard right in front of another guard, quickly went into low profile mode, then the guard didn't even know who did it, and then Altair just walked behind that guard and killed him. I dunno man. Probably a rental for me now.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='592642' date='Nov 13 2007, 03:45 PM'][url="http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=930278&topic=38956020"]http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessag...;topic=38956020[/url]

[b]
In March of 2006 prior to when you claim they announced development: [/b]

:D

Altair :ninja:[/quote]

WOWZERS 2 months early... do you often confuse months and years?

thats still not 3-4 years ago, in fact you essentially restated exactly what i said, you were stoked about a game in X05 when it had no art, synopsis, and was strictly a code name on a plan board?

what a crock of BS.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='592806' date='Nov 13 2007, 08:48 PM']WOWZERS 2 months early... do you often confuse months and years?

thats still not 3-4 years ago, in fact you essentially restated exactly what i said, you were stoked about a game in X05 when it had no art, synopsis, and was strictly a code name on a plan board?

what a crock of BS.[/quote]
did u ignore that the article in 2006 talked about a video shown in 2005? nice job ignoring that one to make some lame response.

Archived