Any chance for the buckeyes?

JBandJoeyV

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='596690' date='Nov 19 2007, 11:20 PM']i can agree to an extent, but I think WVU is better than anyone Big Ten. The Big East definitely has more good teams than the Big 10 and most other conferences have. The Big East is getting there and imo they look like they will be a STUD conference in the near future. Im sick of the haters.[/quote]

I'd like OSU's chances against WVU, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on that. I'd rate them like this based on their top 3 teams:

SEC (LSU, Georgia, Florida)
Big 12 (not sold on this, we'll find out in the coming weeks)
Big Ten (OSU, Illinois, Wisconsin)
Big East (WVU, UCONN, UC)
Pac-10 (Oregon, ASU, USC)
ACC (VT, BC, Virginia)

I ranked those assuming Oregon and Oklahoma had healthy QB's, which they obviously don't at the moment.

Thurman you can say the big 10 is bad all you want, and this year I would probably agree, but the Big East is just as bad if not worse. They look good cause they dont play anyone nonconference so a few of them get ranked high and then they play each other and it looks like they are playing hard teams.

To prove this I will go team by team and show their nonconference schedules...now dont compare these to teams OSU has played cause I know they havent played anyone either.

Uconn-Duke, Maine, Temple, Akron, Virginia. Virginia is the only decent team there but Virginia hasnt even played a ranked team yet.

WVU- Western Mich, Marshall, Maryland, ECU, Miss St. None of those teams are even close to being good.

South Florida-Elon, Auburn, Florida Atlantic, UNC, UCF. Auburn is alright, ranked 25th but nothing special.

Cincy- Southeast Missouri state, Oregon State, Miami Ohio, Marshall, SD state. No ranked teams.

Rutgers- Buffalo, Navy, Norfolk State, Maryland, army....nough said

Pitt-Eastern Mich, Grambling State, Mich State, Virginia, Navy...see above about virginia, rest suck.

Louisville-Murray State, Midd Tenn, UK, UNC, Utah. UK looked good in the beginning of the year, but didnt turn out to be that good with 4 losses.

Syracuse-Wash, Iowa, Illinois, Miami Ohio, Buffalo. Illinois is actually solid, rest suck.

So i mean the hardest non conference teams in this whole conference are Virginia and Illinois. I mean come on. How can you consider them to be a good conference when the only teams they play are each other.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='596701' date='Nov 19 2007, 11:50 PM']Thurman you can say the big 10 is bad all you want, and this year I would probably agree, but the Big East is just as bad if not worse. They look good cause they dont play anyone nonconference so a few of them get ranked high and then they play each other and it looks like they are playing hard teams.
[b]
To prove this I will go team by team and show their nonconference schedules...now dont compare these to teams OSU has played cause I know they havent played anyone either.[/b]

So i mean the hardest non conference teams in this whole conference are Virginia and Illinois. I mean come on. How can you consider them to be a good conference when the only teams they play are each other.[/quote]

that right there makes you have no point. the big 10 really doenst play shit outside of their own conference (which is weak this year)

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='596701' date='Nov 19 2007, 11:50 PM']Thurman you can say the big 10 is bad all you want, and this year I would probably agree, but the Big East is just as bad if not worse. They look good cause they dont play anyone nonconference so a few of them get ranked high and then they play each other and it looks like they are playing hard teams.

To prove this I will go team by team and show their nonconference schedules...now dont compare these to teams OSU has played cause I know they havent played anyone either.

Uconn-Duke, Maine, Temple, Akron, Virginia. Virginia is the only decent team there but Virginia hasnt even played a ranked team yet.

WVU- Western Mich, Marshall, Maryland, ECU, Miss St. None of those teams are even close to being good.

South Florida-Elon, Auburn, Florida Atlantic, UNC, UCF. Auburn is alright, ranked 25th but nothing special.

Cincy- Southeast Missouri state, Oregon State, Miami Ohio, Marshall, SD state. No ranked teams.

Rutgers- Buffalo, Navy, Norfolk State, Maryland, army....nough said

Pitt-Eastern Mich, Grambling State, Mich State, Virginia, Navy...see above about virginia, rest suck.

Louisville-Murray State, Midd Tenn, UK, UNC, Utah. UK looked good in the beginning of the year, but didnt turn out to be that good with 4 losses.

Syracuse-Wash, Iowa, Illinois, Miami Ohio, Buffalo. Illinois is actually solid, rest suck.

So i mean the hardest non conference teams in this whole conference are Virginia and Illinois. I mean come on. How can you consider them to be a good conference when the only teams they play are each other.[/quote]

Speaking for UConn... they've been trying to get home and homes with a lot of big name schools but no one wants to. I'm sure these opportunities are going to be opening up for more Big East schools going into the future though.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='596701' date='Nov 19 2007, 11:50 PM'][b]Thurman you can say the big 10 is bad all you want, and this year I would probably agree, but the Big East is just as bad if not worse. They look good cause they dont play anyone nonconference so a few of them get ranked high and then they play each other and it looks like they are playing hard teams.

To prove this I will go team by team and show their nonconference schedules...now dont compare these to teams OSU has played cause I know they havent played anyone either.[/b][/quote]

Wow, is that a loaded statement. If you'd said just simply that you'd agree then fine. But, to PROBABLY agree??? You say a team doesn't play anybody non-conference and then only plays ranked in-conference teams and makes themselves look more attractive... what was the best non-conference game OSU played this year - Washington, which is what 3-7, or 4-6? In can't even say OSU played "highly ranked" in-conference teams which the Big East can at least claim since they played Purdue and Penn State I think at rankings of 20 and 23 or 25... Illinois just hopped into the rankings at 20 after beating OSU. Sounds a little like you're describing the Big Ten as well...

[quote][b]How can you consider them to be a good conference when the only teams they play are each other.[/b][/quote]

Is this a comment that applies only to the Big East or to any conference, in your opinion?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='596735' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:32 AM']that right there makes you have no point. the big 10 really doenst play shit outside of their own conference (which is weak this year)[/quote]

I'd argue that the Big 10 is balanced, not weak. I don't think it's the best conference, but its crap that the SEC and Big East beat up on itselves and get considered "balanced" and "strong", but the Big 10 beats up itself and gets considered "weak". The big 10 has 10 of their 11 teams with 6 wins or more.

The truth is, other than bowl games, there's no good way to judge which conference is stronger. Most teams in the big 6 don't play big non-conference games, and for the most part I don't see that changing.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='596735' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:32 AM']that right there makes you have no point. the big 10 really doenst play shit outside of their own conference (which is weak this year)[/quote]

Thurman, that was my whole point for saying dont compare this to OSU because I know the Big 10 and the Big East havent played anyone outside of their whole conference therefore you cant know how good their conference really is. The big east and big 10 both havent played anyone so you cant really say the big east is underrated cause the only teams they play are each other. So yeah they beat up on shitty non conference teams and start off 4-0 or 5-0 or whatever and then play each other and the best team (WVU loses 1 game, the others lose 2-3) and they end up ranked 4, 15, 20 or something like that. The teams in the big east from top to bottom would get killed by the SEC as would the big ten teams probably.

But next time read what I wrote Thurman, the point of saying dont compare this to the big ten or OSU is because they are the same, they dont play anyone either. And to be honest why should they? Ohio state should be undefeated heading to the national championship game if they wouldnt have had one terrible game, why play a team like oregon or something in the regular season and risk losing and costing themselves a shot at the national championship early in the season. At the same point now that OSU lost yeah it would have helped to play a big named team, but the way the current system is there isnt much advantage to having hard non conference schedules. until it goes to a playoff there is no need to schedule hard non conference teams.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='596964' date='Nov 20 2007, 04:09 PM']Thurman, that was my whole point for saying dont compare this to OSU because I know the Big 10 and the Big East havent played anyone outside of their whole conference therefore you cant know how good their conference really is. The big east and big 10 both havent played anyone so you cant really say the big east is underrated cause the only teams they play are each other. So yeah they beat up on shitty non conference teams and start off 4-0 or 5-0 or whatever and then play each other and the best team (WVU loses 1 game, the others lose 2-3) and they end up ranked 4, 15, 20 or something like that. The teams in the big east from top to bottom would get killed by the SEC as would the big ten teams probably.

But next time read what I wrote Thurman, the point of saying dont compare this to the big ten or OSU is because they are the same, they dont play anyone either. [b]And to be honest why should they? Ohio state should be undefeated heading to the national championship game if they wouldnt have had one terrible game, why play a team like oregon or something in the regular season and risk losing and costing themselves a shot at the national championship early in the season.[/b] At the same point now that OSU lost yeah it would have helped to play a big named team, but the way the current system is there isnt much advantage to having hard non conference schedules. until it goes to a playoff there is no need to schedule hard non conference teams.[/quote]

So now you're doing a turn-around and saying it's good to not play any big teams because then you are at risk of being exposed as a pretender (see: osu vs. florida). But this is only okay if you're ohio state; if the big east does this, it's evidence that they're weak. This is exactly the point of the "OSU vs. The Nation" article posted here a few weeks ago, which everybody here decried and ripped to shreds. You can't have your cake and eat it too - you can't harp on the big east for not playing a tough schedule but then excuse ohio state of the same thing. I just won't tolerate it.

Note last year's bowl records:

Big East - 5-0
big ten - 2-5

Big East wins: Orange Bowl, Gator Bowl, PapaJohns Bowl[sup]1[/sup], International Bowl, Texas Bowl[sup]1[/sup]

big ten wins: Capital One Bowl, Outback Bowl
big ten losses: National Championship[sup]2[/sup], Insight Bowl, Champs Sports Bowl[sup]2[/sup], Alamo Bowl, Rose Bowl (by 14)

Granted, several of the losses were in high-profile games, but they were also blowouts. How does this support your claim of depth?

----------------------------
1 - Face rape givers
2 - Face rape receivers

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='597137' date='Nov 20 2007, 08:53 PM']Note last year's bowl records:

Big East - 5-0
big ten - 2-5

Big East wins: Orange Bowl, Gator Bowl, PapaJohns Bowl[sup]1[/sup], International Bowl, Texas Bowl[sup]1[/sup]

big ten wins: Capital One Bowl, Outback Bowl
big ten losses: National Championship[sup]2[/sup], Insight Bowl, Champs Sports Bowl[sup]2[/sup], Alamo Bowl, Rose Bowl (by 14)

Granted, several of the losses were in high-profile games, but they were also blowouts. How does this support your claim of depth?

----------------------------
1 - Face rape givers
2 - Face rape receivers[/quote]

Thanks for that post. I was unaware that teams [b]don't [/b]change players and talent from year to year.

Last year's results are not this year's results.

God some of you guys are fucking idiots....IM NOT SAYING ANY OF THIS TO SUPPORT THE BIG 10.

Any Tory my comment about why OSU shouldnt play anyone can stand for any team I was just using them as an example, same is gonna be true for WVU. If they win out against their shitty league they will play prob LSU in the national championship and could get rocked.

But anyways read what the fuck im saying, Im not saying OSU shouldnt play anyone, Im saying I can understand why they wouldnt because if they think they can beat everyone in their conference and go undefeated they are probably gonna get in the NC same with WV.

My whole point is that you cant say the big east is better then the big 10 and you also cant say the big 10 is better then the big east, because neither of them play any good teams besides the teams in their own conference.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='597151' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:10 PM']God some of you guys are fucking idiots....IM NOT SAYING ANY OF THIS TO SUPPORT THE BIG 10.

Any Tory my comment about why OSU shouldnt play anyone can stand for any team I was just using them as an example, same is gonna be true for WVU. If they win out against their shitty league they will play prob LSU in the national championship and could get rocked.

But anyways read what the fuck im saying, Im not saying OSU shouldnt play anyone, Im saying I can understand why they wouldnt because if they think they can beat everyone in their conference and go undefeated they are probably gonna get in the NC same with WV.

[b]My whole point is that you cant say the big east is better then the big 10 and you also cant say the big 10 is better then the big east, because neither of them play any good teams besides the teams in their own conference.[/b][/quote]
ive watched many of the teams and my assessment says the big east is better. i would LOVE to see a big 10/big east challenge in football.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='597159' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:21 PM']ive watched many of the teams and my assessment says the big east is better. i would LOVE to see a big 10/big east challenge in football.[/quote]

that would be like a high school/pee wee football challenge

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='597160' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:24 PM']ThurmanMunster, the college football guru. :P[/quote]
w/e. i may say stupid shit, but i do know shit way better than anyone thinks i do.

[quote name='rizzy' post='597187' date='Nov 20 2007, 10:57 PM']that would be like a high school/pee wee football challenge[/quote]
it would be like the big east/pee wee football challenge.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='597144' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:01 PM']Thanks for that post. I was unaware that teams [b]don't [/b]change players and talent from year to year.

Last year's results are not this year's results.[/quote]

Indeed, last year's results are not this year's results. However, since there is a consensus that neither the Big East and the big ten have played tough non-conference opposition this year, last year's bowl games are the best and latest indication we can have at this point. Hence its relevance.

well lets see who they played....

big 10

Florida (national champs), USC #4 in the country, Texas #13, Arkansas #15, Tennessee #25, Texas Tech, Maryland

So thats 5 ranked teams, 4 in the top 15

Big East

Wake forest #18, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Western Michigan, and East Carolina

So thats 1 ranked team, 0 in the top 15

I mean seriously guys, use your fucking heads before you make these stupid arguments. Of course the big east had a better bowl record cause look at the teams they played.

Are you guys really that dumb, or were you just hoping we over looked that fact.

I mean come on.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='597928' date='Nov 23 2007, 07:08 PM']FUCK YEAH LSU LOST!!!!!!!!!

1 more baby![/quote]

yup either a wvu lost tomorrow which i think is going to happen

or we can just have Oklahoma win the big12

[quote name='rizzy' post='597967' date='Nov 23 2007, 10:50 PM']yup either a wvu lost tomorrow which i think is going to happen

or we can just have Oklahoma win the big12[/quote]
i dont see WVU losing. too much on the line for them and they are way better than uconn in the first place.

i could see the big 12 thing happening.

Archived