Big Ten may have made a very costly mistake

rizzy

[quote]Big Ten may have made a very costly mistake
By Tom Dienhart - SportingNews

Tom Dienhart
SportingNews.com

Did the Big Ten make a $4.5 million mistake by allowing an officiating crew that was facing a suspension this weekend to work last Saturday's Illinois-Ohio State game?

As I reported last week, a source told me the conference plans to suspend the crew that officiated the Nov. 3 Purdue-Penn State game based on a review of its work in that game. That same crew worked one of the biggest Big Ten games of the year last weekend in Columbus.

Incredible.

Why would the Big Ten assign the crew -- a few of whom could be fired for their work in the Purdue-Penn State game -- to a game of this importance?

The Big Ten does not comment on specific officiating issues.

The crew includes referee Stephen Pamon, umpire Pat Bayers, linesman Jack Teitz, line judge Robert Davis, back judge Dennis Morris, field judge Bobby Sagers and side judge Joe Duncan.

That group called just three penalties, one on Illinois and two on Ohio State. And a few perceived non-calls have Buckeye Nation angry. Many more fans are upset knowing this crew was running the game.

Were there blown calls? That's debatable. But perception matters more than reality. And the reality is this crew shouldn't have been trusted with such a game.

And how's this for another megadose of reality? The loss cost No. 1 Ohio State a shot at playing for the BCS title. What's more, that loss hurt the Big Ten's chances of sending a second school to a BCS bowl, which would net the conference an additional $4.5 million.

Now, the Big Ten will have to be satisfied with getting just one BCS team. The winner of this weekend's Ohio State at Michigan game will go to the Rose Bowl.

Tom Dienhart is a staff writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at tdienhart@sportingnews.com.[/quote]

nothing we can do now but I hope the crew is removed from all future college games

[quote name='Actium' post='593180' date='Nov 14 2007, 02:09 PM'][b]they weren't the reason OSU lost the game.[/b] And the game was only important because OSU laid an egg. It should have been a blowout and hardly worth noticing.[/quote]
that is why i said that. it is pathetic that the big 10 lets a crew do a game with the best team in their conference and they might be fired.

the big east would never do such a thing ^_^

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='593192' date='Nov 14 2007, 02:33 PM']that is why i said that. it is pathetic that the big 10 lets a crew do a game with the best team in their conference and they might be fired.

the big east would never do such a thing ^_^[/quote]

lol I doubt that's why YOU said it.

I only watched bits and pieces of the OSU game...

The officials aren't why OSU lost that game - the fact that OSU couldn't decide to freakin spy #7 in the 4th quarter and allowed him like 4-5 straight 3rd and/or 4th down conversions running the ball is why they lost.

Totally different scenario if OSU had been up like 3 and Illinois scored on an extremely questionable call - dropped catch they called a TD, etc. I didn't see any of that occur late in the game though.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='593223' date='Nov 14 2007, 03:31 PM']I only watched bits and pieces of the OSU game...

The officials aren't why OSU lost that game - the fact that OSU couldn't decide to freakin spy #7 in the 4th quarter and allowed him like 4-5 straight 3rd and/or 4th down conversions running the ball is why they lost.

Totally different scenario if OSU had been up like 3 and Illinois scored on an extremely questionable call - dropped catch they called a TD, etc. I didn't see any of that occur late in the game though.[/quote]

but you did see a blatant fumble of the ball on their first drive that gave them a td, momentum would have killed them there if it was called, momentum is a crazy thing in college football

obviously being number 1 in the country they should have overcame this

illinois was the most penalized team in the big ten and during that entire game they only called 3 penalties, there were a lot of missed holding calls and other calls on both sides

obviously the point of this article was to show this ref group should not be reffing games

[quote name='rizzy' post='593321' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:06 PM']but you did see a blatant fumble of the ball on their first drive that gave them a td, momentum would have killed them there if it was called, momentum is a crazy thing in college football

obviously being number 1 in the country they should have overcame this

illinois was the most penalized team in the big ten and during that entire game they only called 3 penalties, there were a lot of missed holding calls and other calls on both sides

obviously the point of this article was to show this ref group should not be reffing games[/quote]
First quarter... plenty of time to overcome.

and

Tressel had the opportunity to have it reviewed... He didn't.

I didn't see the call so I can't provide any response but if it was so blatant then OSU should have thrown the review flag.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='593637' date='Nov 15 2007, 02:52 PM']First quarter... plenty of time to overcome.

and

I didn't see the call so I can't provide any response but if it was so blatant then OSU should have thrown the review flag.[/quote]

coaches don't get the option to have plays reviewed it must all come from the refs

[quote name='rizzy' post='593674' date='Nov 15 2007, 03:46 PM']coaches don't get the option to have plays reviewed it must all come from the refs[/quote]

coaches get to challenge one play per game. I'm guessing Tressel either didn't get info in time to challenge it, or didn't want to waste his challenge 2 minutes into the game. The refs still should have reviewed it though.

That said, the refs did not cost OSU the game.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='593719' date='Nov 15 2007, 05:26 PM']OSU played poorly, BUT the refs did give Illinois 2 TDS, 1 on the obvious fumble, and the other one on the play where they blatantly set a pick.[/quote]

did they actually set a pick, or simply run criss-crossing routes? If a WR actually stopped and picked a defender, than yea its BS. But in general, I thought that play was geniusly designed. One WR is bound to get out of that mess uncovered.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='593637' date='Nov 15 2007, 02:52 PM']First quarter... plenty of time to overcome.

and

one
I didn't see the call so I can't provide any response but if it was so blatant then OSU should have thrown the review flag.[/quote]

Tressell Said they didn't challenge because they didn't have monitors in the box upstairs. ABC choose to focus on the run and not the fumble so really no one really knew until Illinois snapped the ball. In truth, it was one of the most blatant missed calls in the history of Football. If it went OSU's way, they would have went up 14-0 and Illinios would not have come back. Still, regardless of the call, the Bucks should have been good enough to win the game, adn they got beat on both sides of the ball. It should have been a non-issue, but it was the difference in the game. At any rate, this crew should not have been working this game. Realistically, the Big Ten screwed themselves and not the Bucks. If the Bucks one, they were probably going to a BCS game, even with a lost to Michigan. They could have had 2 instead of 1. With a Bucks win against Michigan, The Big Ten would have still only sent one team to the BCS so, even though the article says that it cost the Big ten money, it really didn't. Michigan wasn't going to a BCS game, without a win against the Bucks and It's doubtful they would have got two, no matter the senario at the point in the season the Bucks lost.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='593877' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:50 AM']how do you not have a monitor upstairs? That's silly.[/quote]

Tressel said it himself. I can't find it on the web, but I know I saw it. He said that the coaches in the booth didn't have monitors, which is why they didn't challenge the fumble. Before anyone debates thsi fumble, it was the most obvious missed fumble call that I have ever seen. At any rate, once again, The bucks should have been able to win this one, dispite this terrible call.

[/quote]REPORTER: Washington, they were showing replays up on the big screen and a couple times, a lot of people thought that influenced things. I don't think you're allowed to do that in the Big Ten, correct? Controversial replays? [b]And you're not allowed to have a monitor in the press box.

COACH TRESSEL: I know we can't have a monitor.[/b] I know we can't have any type of monitor playback or still-shots like they have in the pros, as far as what the rules are on the scoreboard, I don't know.

REPORTER: What I'm asking, you have a challenge, how strange is that to have the ability to have a challenge but not have the information for a challenge other than you standing there on the sideline?

COACH TRESSEL: The thing that we've all been instructed in the replay system is that every play is reviewed and that they don't want us to waste a timeout and so forth and quite honestly from where any of us were, that was a long way, that was 83 yards away or whatever that was, so none of us were that sure exactly what occurred. And we have faith in the system. Sometimes the system isn't perfect, but you know I'm not a replay guy to start with, because it's not comprehensive, but the replay system we have, we have faith in and go from there. [/quote]

[url="http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87743&SPID=10408&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1310660"]http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArtic...;ATCLID=1310660[/url]

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='593753' date='Nov 15 2007, 06:22 PM']the wr ran directly into the CB, which is considered offensive pass interference[/quote]

Concour; it was a knock down. Again, if some of these events had been switched, the commentators would have been all over it with replay after replay.

For the broadcast, the upset was "the show".

[quote name='ccartman2' post='593885' date='Nov 16 2007, 01:01 AM']Tressel said it himself. I can't find it on the web, but I know I saw it. He said that the coaches in the booth didn't have monitors, which is why they didn't challenge the fumble. Before anyone debates thsi fumble, it was the most obvious missed fumble call that I have ever seen. At any rate, once again, The bucks should have been able to win this one, dispite this terrible call.[/quote]
I can't debate what I didn't see so I'll take your word for it.

Look at the bright side... One of the 5 teams you need to lose did last night with Oregon...

Although it was a shitty loss since Dixon didn't even play past midway through the 1st quarter. But, as you OSU fans now know, thems the breaks!

Archived