Joe Nuxhall Passes

Storm

Ditto for me. I remember when my grandfather gave me a tranistor radio so I could listen to the Reds games at night when I went to bed. Oh the memories. Rest in Peace Joe, you are the true icon of Cincinnati Reds baseball!!

I think it would be cool if the Bengals have a moment of silence before Sunday's game in honor of the Old Left Hander.

I don't usually feel sad when celebrities pass, but aside from the fact I grew up listening to him on the radio and the that he was an excellent broadcaster, he was also a special human being.

This is a loss for the Reds, the game of Baseball, and our community.

You will be missed Joe!

[quote name='Phatcat' post='594000' date='Nov 16 2007, 11:02 AM']Ditto for me. I remember when my grandfather gave me a tranistor radio so I could listen to the Reds games at night when I went to bed. Oh the memories. Rest in Peace Joe, you are the true icon of Cincinnati Reds baseball!!

I think it would be cool if the Bengals have a moment of silence before Sunday's game in honor of the Old Left Hander.[/quote]
According to the press conference, The Bengals will have a moment of silence for Joe.

I've cried probably 4 times since I've been 10 years old, and hearing Joe sign off for the last time several years ago was one of them. I would really appreciate if someone could find that sound file.

I grew up on them, too, and I'm a hard-core Giants fan.

[quote name='#22' post='594008' date='Nov 16 2007, 11:13 AM']I've cried probably 4 times since I've been 10 years old, and hearing Joe sign off for the last time several years ago was one of them. I would really appreciate if someone could find that sound file.

I grew up on them, too, and I'm a hard-core Giants fan.[/quote]
java script:void(playMedia2({w:'2005/open/teams05/cin/audio/100804_nuxhall_farewell_long.wma',pid:'gen_audio',v:'1'})); I found it on 1500 homer website in case this does not work.

[quote name='Jason' post='593992' date='Nov 16 2007, 10:27 AM']No one more typifies [b]THE GOOD THINGS[/b] Cincinnati is all about than Joe Nuxhall.[/quote]

-_-

Cincinnati has always been hurting for positive icons and Joe was the tops.

...rounding third and heading for home indeed. At least we got to hear and see him a few times in 07.

[color="#FF0000"][b]Sad news but Im not surprised. Joe had been having health problems recently and the last
time I saw him on television, quite frankly, he wasn't looking very good at all.

Now he's in a better place. -_- [/b][/color]

I was out getting lunch and heard Greg Doyle say Joe is lucky to leave behind such a legacy of love (paraphrasing)... I'm not sure why but it bothered me so I'll get it off my chest here...

No Greg, Joe isn't "lucky" to have so many people who care about him.. It comes from a lifetime of treating people with respect and dignity. From taking the time to make everyone you interact with feel as if they are special and important. As Joe used to say "It doesn't cost anything to be nice to people, so why be stingy about it?". He's an icon and a legend because being a good person and doing the right thing was important enough to him to get it right.

I think it's something everyone can learn from.. And then maybe we too will be "lucky" enough to leave behind as much love as Joe has.

Here is a link to a short video tribute to Nuxie put up by 700WLW:

[url="http://700wlw.com/cc-common/mediaplayer/player.html?redir=yes&mps=wlw.php&mid=http://a1802.v302656.c30265.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1802/30265/v0001/cchannel.download.akamai.com/30265/1209/richmedia/Hard_To_Say_Goodbye.wmv?CCOMRRMID=8855090&CPROG=RICHMEDIA&MARKET=CINCINNATI-OH&NG_FORMAT=newstalk&NG_ID=wlw700am&OR_NEWSFORMAT=News/Talk&OWNER=1209&SERVER_NAME=www.700wlw.com&SITE_ID=1209&STATION_ID=WLW-AM&TRACK=Nuxhall_Tribute_Video#"]Nuxie[/url]

And Reds.com has put up a pretty cool tribute page as well:

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/fan_forum/nuxhall_tribute.jsp"]The Old Left Hander[/url]

[quote name='Lucid' post='594033' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:16 PM']I was out getting lunch and heard Greg Doyle say Joe is lucky to leave behind such a legacy of love (paraphrasing)... I'm not sure why but it bothered me so I'll get it off my chest here...

No Greg, Joe isn't "lucky" to have so many people who care about him.. It comes from a lifetime of treating people with respect and dignity. From taking the time to make everyone you interact with feel as if they are special and important. As Joe used to say "It doesn't cost anything to be nice to people, so why be stingy about it?". He's an icon and a legend because being a good person and doing the right thing was important enough to him to get it right.

I think it's something everyone can learn from.. And then maybe we too will be "lucky" enough to leave behind as much love as Joe has.[/quote]

Great post.

RIP Joe.

I had an idea this may be his last hospital visit when he went in, then they said he was going to get a pacemaker and I thought, wow, I was wrong, he must be better than he looks/sounds. Then a wake up to this.,

A sad day for many, many people.

[quote name='Lucid' post='594033' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:16 PM']I was out getting lunch and heard Greg Doyle say Joe is lucky to leave behind such a legacy of love (paraphrasing)... I'm not sure why but it bothered me so I'll get it off my chest here...

I think it's something everyone can learn from.. And then maybe we too will be "lucky" enough to leave behind as much love as Joe has.[/quote]

Well put.

[img]http://www.maj.com/gallery/ispeakvinglish/gif2/applause.gif[/img]

[quote name='Phatcat' post='594051' date='Nov 16 2007, 01:00 PM']Here is a link to a short video tribute to Nuxie put up by 700WLW:

[url="http://700wlw.com/cc-common/mediaplayer/player.html?redir=yes&mps=wlw.php&mid=http://a1802.v302656.c30265.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1802/30265/v0001/cchannel.download.akamai.com/30265/1209/richmedia/Hard_To_Say_Goodbye.wmv?CCOMRRMID=8855090&CPROG=RICHMEDIA&MARKET=CINCINNATI-OH&NG_FORMAT=newstalk&NG_ID=wlw700am&OR_NEWSFORMAT=News/Talk&OWNER=1209&SERVER_NAME=www.700wlw.com&SITE_ID=1209&STATION_ID=WLW-AM&TRACK=Nuxhall_Tribute_Video#"]Nuxie[/url]

And Reds.com has put up a pretty cool tribute page as well:

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/fan_forum/nuxhall_tribute.jsp"]The Old Left Hander[/url][/quote]

Thanks Phat... Now I got a new quote for my sig...

Nuxhall was one of the best fans I have ever "known".

Since I am not from Cincy, it doesn't mean as much to me, but I imagine it would be like Milo Hamilton (Astros) passing away.

One of the funniest stories I ever read was a Playboy interview with Al Michaels. Something about Joe saying 'cocksucker' on the air before a Red's game...

R.I.P.

Archived