Historical Roots of Thanksgiving

BlackJesus

[font="Arial Narrow"][center][size=3][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/thanks4.jpg[/img]

[color="#FF8C00"][u][b]Thanksgiving’s true historical roots are not about happy Indians and Pilgrims sharing supper:[/b][/u][/color][/center]

[b][color="#A0522D"][i]The first day of thanksgiving took place in 1637 amidst the Pilgrims war against the Pequots. 700 men, women, and children of the Pequot tribe were gathered for their annual green corn dance on what is now Groton, Connecticut. Dutch and English mercenaries surrounded the camp and proceeded to shoot, stab, butcher and burn alive all 700 people. The next day the Massachusetts Bay Colony held a feast in celebration and the governor declared "a day of thanksgiving." In the ensuing madness of the Indian extermination, natives were scalped, burned, mutilated and sold into slavery, and a feast was held in celebration every time a successful massacre took place. The killing frenzy got so bad that even the Churches of Manhattan announced a day of "thanksgiving" to celebrate victory over the "heathen savages," and many celebrated by kicking the severed heads of Pequot people through the streets like soccer balls.[/i][/size]
[/color][/font][/b]

[url="http://www.raceandhistory.com/selfnews/viewnews.cgi?newsid1070098584,36734,.shtml"]http://www.raceandhistory.com/selfnews/vie...84,36734,.shtml[/url]

[quote name='rudi32' post='597408' date='Nov 21 2007, 02:50 PM']I think Actium said it right in another post.

I am american, not Indian, I look at it differently than BJ

we won, they lost. To winners goes the spoils.

Ill be happy eating my turkey and thanking the pilgrams.[/quote]

[b]Thanksgiving as an American holiday has the potential to be a noble one. Especially if those in celebration remember the 2nd and more important component of the day which is the “giving”, = notice the word "eating" is nowhere in the title.

But citizens should also not fool themselves and drop this ridiculous romanticized notion of the Pilgrims and the Indians breaking bread together.

Why would you disagree with not insulting Native Americans by continuing the infantile myth of a “Thanksgiving feast between happy Indian and Pilgrim.”

After doing this … I believe that Americans can try and salvage the spirits of 'Thanks' and 'Giving' by showing appreciation to those around you and seeking to help others. [/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='597423' date='Nov 21 2007, 03:23 PM'][b]Thanksgiving as an American holiday has the potential to be a noble one. Especially if those in celebration remember the 2nd and more important component of the day which is the “giving”, = notice the word "eating" is nowhere in the title.

But citizens should also not fool themselves and drop this ridiculous romanticized notion of the Pilgrims and the Indians breaking bread together.

Why would you disagree with not insulting Native Americans by continuing the infantile myth of a “Thanksgiving feast between happy Indian and Pilgrim.”

After doing this … I believe that Americans can try and salvage the spirits of 'Thanks' and 'Giving' by showing appreciation to those around you and seeking to help others. [/b][/quote]

So where you eating at BJ :P It's just a hickup in the week for me since we are lucky to get a day off anyway.

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='597423' date='Nov 21 2007, 03:23 PM'][b]Thanksgiving as an American holiday has the potential to be a noble one. Especially if those in celebration remember the 2nd and more important component of the day which is the “giving”, = notice the word "eating" is nowhere in the title.

After doing this … I believe that Americans can try and salvage the spirits of 'Thanks' and 'Giving' by showing appreciation to those around you and seeking to help others. [/b][/quote]
There were certainly some instances of white settlers and Indians getting along peacefully...as well as some instances of white settlers being slaughtered at the hands of the indians as well...
Now granted, I know that the eventual outcome of this entire relationship doomed the Native American race, and that there is some merit to dispelling the "pink fuzzy cloud" notion of Thanksgiving in terms of it's historical origins, but I don't even think of Indians when i think of Thanksgiving.
I think of how grateful I am to have my family, friends and the way of life I can choose to live in this, the greatest, most free country Earth has ever known.
Heck, I'm grateful for you too, BJ. You inspire others to think, even if they don't often agree with you.
The turkey and the feast is just a symbol of the wealth of a nation that probably needs to start having a Thanksgiving Day of sorts every day of the year before we become a nation of "Don't know what we've got till it's gone".

Archived